DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DavidR
***NEW RULES***

In this one you can either follow the layouts and story I provided or make up 1 or 2 pages of your own original art and storyline. Only main rule is to use the characters I chose. Have fun!!! (8 D  

Also:

The contest is still the same in that the focus is for us to get practice at telling a story by competing against each other and working against a deadline. What I wanted to add was, that if there are artists that like the character chosen they are welcome to put their own drawings into the mix to highlight their art

The only thing is that, unless it's a full page layout of a story, panel to panel it will not be part of the voting process but will add diversity and character to the topic. I know most of you do not have time to deal with cranking out a full page of layouts and this will give an opportunity to everyone that has something to show and share. 

Due date will be on or around July 27th  Let me know as the date approaches if you need more time.

No Caption Provided
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Raven0207

I'm actually going to take this page and work with it. Why recreate the wheel ! But this will include 2 first for me, I've never drawn Two-Face or Joker. My years of being a Marvel man is coming back to haunt me

DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DavidR
@Raven0207
I love Marvel but I gotta mix it up! As it is, there are many characters from other companies I am not familiar with but I have plenty to choose from even with just the two, DC and Marvel.

Also, scouring the web for decent pages for the contest can be time consuming. : P

Looking forward to your new skills in this next round.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By tonis

@DavidR: I've got a Joker model to work with and Two-Face should be fun to try to whip up. :)

DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DavidR
@tonis said:

@DavidR: I've got a Joker model to work with and Two-Face should be fun to try to whip up. :)

Cool, the more the merrier. Can't wait for your version!!

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6  Edited By The Lobster
No Caption Provided
Here's my submission, like I usually say. I won't have time to color it. I might add speech balloons and text if I get a chance. 

I usually don't like to compliment myself (I always sound like a tool when I do), but I really like my Joker, I don't know what it is about that last panel but it kinda creeps me out. Nice to know I can at least draw a decent Joker.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DavidR

@The Lobster

Cool Joker and Two face was great too, 4th panel looking to his left was creepy. You are definitely cranking it out like DomDom in speed. Good work glad you jumped on it!

DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DavidR
Just a quick drawing, not my final version of 2 face. Just wanted to practice on my Tablet.

...and a little sumthin' more..
No Caption Provided
Sky_Jokiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Sky_Jokiel
Just a quick strip
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Raven0207
@DavidR said:
Just a quick drawing, not my final version of 2 face. Just wanted to practice on my Tablet.

Those Kick major butt. I really like your take on both
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raven0207

On another note I have mine layed out I just have to sketch it out. I may try digital if I can play enough in PS before hand
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DavidR
@Sky_Jokiel
Glad you joined, funny stuff!!  : D

@Raven0207:
Those Kick major butt. I really like your take on both 

Thanks Man, I was hoping to add a little something before I put the layouts up. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Good luck with PS!
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tonis

@The Lobster : yea, you are taking after DomDom with the super speed for sure, and good job, that panel with him leaning in the door is a classic Joker entrance :)

@Sky_Jokiel: I love twisted humor, and you took great advantage of the opportunity to inject it. Well done :)

@DavidR: Like I said before, your a master at the Joker as much as the Bat. Totally can't wait to see what you come up with. We're off to a great start on this panels contest, a BIG YAY!!! :)

DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DavidR
@tonis said:

@DavidR: Like I said before, your a master at the Joker as much as the Bat. Totally can't wait to see what you come up with. We're off to a great start on this panels contest, a BIG YAY!!! :)

Thanks as always! 
I wanted to possibly add an opportunity to have other artists join and post their versions off the characters chosen for the current Crank contest, as I have already done. if only a figure or a face and make this more fun. 
In the end the only art chosen for voting will be the story/layout pieces. What do you think? If you think it's a good idea I will post a new topic to announce/explain the added opportunity.
HarlequinKiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By HarlequinKiss

Dang! Already on the 7th contest! I'm happy this contest is still going on, this stuff is great.

Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Raven0207
@HarlequinKiss said:
Dang! Already on the 7th contest! I'm happy this contest is still going on, this stuff is great.
Come and join it we need as many people as we can get to join. I know you can draw!
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DavidR
@HarlequinKiss said:
I know you have been busy and that's why I haven't approached you, since you have at least a couple of projects you are working on, plus your cooking. Yummmmm!   (8 P

I would love to see your take on these two characters, your own story if you didn't want to follow the one provided.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DavidR
No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tonis

@DavidR: woohoo, now THAT works!!!

Holy crap if that's not the coolest two-face ever. It's almost like you injected him with just a smidge of joker and it's a morph :)

payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By payno

I've already posted this picture elsewhere but thought I'd include it here. 

DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DavidR
@tonis said:

@DavidR: woohoo, now THAT works!!!

Holy crap if that's not the coolest two-face ever. It's almost like you injected him with just a smidge of joker and it's a morph :)

Glad you got a kick out of it. I finished it at work but when I posted it I got off my Pc and couldn't respond from my phone. Thanks for the compliment!  :D

@payno
Thanks for posting that on here. I was hoping you would. Great piece of art from you!
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Raven0207

I've been working on mine for the last few days. I decided that since I left my Iron Man so loose in the pencils that this round I'm throwing down the inks. Then as I progressed I said this had to be colored. So I'm coloring it too. I'm liking how everything is turning out. Bad part is I have a 10 Road trip starting tomorrow so my piece has to be put on hold alittle as I travel. I think there still should be enough time for me to finish but if not Hopefully David can push the deadline out to the Following Saturday (July 30) . But don't do it yet. Lets see if I can finish it first.

gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gunjin

this is something i planned on being funny that turned into 7 hours work and unfunny. either way i gave up on this, but here's my entry, 

No Caption Provided
DareAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DareAngel

cool drawings 
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DavidR
@Raven0207:  
Not to worry, I will adjust it to your schedule, looking forward to your entry.

@gunjin

I thought it was very funny, I was pleasantly surprised by your post. Wasn't expecting it and I really like your storytelling and clean line-work!
gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gunjin
@DavidR said:
@Raven0207:  

@gunjin:   I thought it was very funny, I was pleasantly surprised by your post. Wasn't expecting it and I really like your storytelling and clean line-work!
thank you sir.  the pacing was just better in my head i guess. that and i started to hate it as i had to touch up lines over and over. i like your style by the way. reminds me of neal adams.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DavidR
@gunjin said:
@DavidR said:
@Raven0207:  

@gunjin:   I thought it was very funny, I was pleasantly surprised by your post. Wasn't expecting it and I really like your storytelling and clean line-work!
thank you sir.  the pacing was just better in my head i guess. that and i started to hate it as i had to touch up lines over and over. i like your style by the way. reminds me of neal adams.
Thanks man, that's a huge compliment! He was the biggest talent in comics in the 70's and still at it today on one of the current Batman books. His line structure is completely different from mine but when I was a kid I figured if I could combine structure and Dynamics in anatomy and style from both Gil Kane and Neil Adams I would have a style to be proud of. Over the years my art isn't liker theirs but I may still have captured an essence from both.

I came across some of your other pieces of art and very much like it!
gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gunjin
@DavidR: thanks brother. 

edit: by the way, i have no idea what you said for a lot of your post, i'm not art terms savvy, but i'm looking them up now.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DavidR
@gunjin

Sorry friend, didn't mean to complicate my wording. What I meant is that I saw two artists that I thought where great at the time and figured if I could use the best from both, I could create something that was cool and satisfactory in my eyes.

I used the line art from Neil Adams (the way he draws his lines to give him the style he has) and the dynamic poses and anatomy from Gil Kane as my guides in creating my own style, they where big influences on me when I was a kid.

I feel that my work doesn't resemble theirs and if you look at how Neil draws  his lines, mine and his are very different but yet you felt a similarity somewhat by what you saw in my work. That's what I meant in capturing their essence, it's just a feeling but not a copy of their art.

Almost all styles in which you use lines to create it, all combinations have been done by other artists, What's cool about this business is, you can still create your own combination and still have something that is uniquely seen as yours. I feel that a distinctive style is as much an expression of yourself as is your signature that you sign at the bank when you cash your check. 
gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gunjin

@DavidR said:

@gunjin:   Sorry friend, didn't mean to complicate my wording. What I meant is that I saw two artists that I thought where great at the time and figured if I could use the best from both, I could create something that was cool and satisfactory in my eyes.   I used the line art from Neil Adams (the way he draws his lines to give him the style he has) and the dynamic poses and anatomy from Gil Kane as my guides in creating my own style, they where big influences on me when I was a kid.   I feel that my work doesn't resemble theirs and if you look at how Neil draws  his lines, mine and his are very different but yet you felt a similarity somewhat by what you saw in my work. That's what I meant in capturing their essence, it's just a feeling but not a copy of their art.  Almost all styles in which you use lines to create it, all combinations have been done by other artists, What's cool about this business is, you can still create your own combination and still have something that is uniquely seen as yours. I feel that a distinctive style is as much an expression of yourself as is your signature that you sign at the bank when you cash your check. 

that he already agreed with you.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DavidR

@gunjin

Thanks man, some people don't read well. I appreciate that you pointed it out to him.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DavidR
Yeuhuh! This was fun to draw.

The Magnificent Malevolent Four!!

No Caption Provided
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Raven0207
@DavidR: I'm back from my road trip. I'm going to try to finish mine up this weekend ! Really nice entry !
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DavidR
@Raven0207

Looking forward to our rematch, can't wait to see what you are putting your efforts into. I will try and start on Monday since I have to work this weekend. See ya on here next week sometime!
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Raven0207
@DavidR: I just have 2 panels left ! I love how it is turning out so far
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Raven0207

Here's my entry ! 

No Caption Provided
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DavidR
@Raven0207

Great stuff!! Worth the wait. Also you have great timing and I have to haul "cheeks" to catch up!!   (8 D
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Raven0207
@DavidR: Thanks ! Now hurry your butt up and get yours in here !
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DavidR
@Raven0207 said:
@DavidR: Thanks ! Now hurry your butt up and get yours in here !
...and those words of pressure coming from someone that may have needed until  Sunday due to work related stuff.

Just got home today from work myself and will start something tonight.  Should be ready at the latest by Wednesday. Once again, great entry, giving me a run for the money!      : D
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Raven0207
@DavidR: And I'll keep coming back cause my storytelling always needs work. Can't wait to see what you turn out.
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DavidR
@Raven0207

I got me itchy trigger "drawing" finger twitching for this rematch. See u by mid week, Buahahaha, as he makes his exit to the lab for a new creation....
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tonis

@Raven0207 said:

@DavidR: And I'll keep coming back cause my storytelling always needs work. Can't wait to see what you turn out.

woohoo man, that kicks much butt, I think you did really good getting the story across visually. :)

Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Raven0207
@tonis@M.S. Feather@DavidR: I pulled out a few tricks for this one but the next one I'm pulling them all out !
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Raven0207

I hear The Jeopardy music playing!
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DavidR

Finally!!! Sorry for the lousy fonts my ComicBook Fonts are on another computer and didn't feel like setting it up on that one, also I mirrored my art and screwed up on which side 2Face had his disfigurement. All in all I am happy even though I see my rushed flaws. Hope you guys like it! : )
 Voting starts tomorrow, kinda tired and want to take a break from this.     X P

No Caption Provided
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Raven0207
@DavidR: Looks Awesome !
DavidR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DavidR
@Raven0207 said:
Thanks I really appreciate the kind words, I began with the roughs on Monday night and started the actual layouts Tuesday around 11pm. I was determined to get it in and posted it by 7:30 pm Wed. Did not sleep for over 24 hours. It's a pain when you have a regular life and add these big projects on top. I know, you already know that! : P

What you see is the updated one with the word balloons. Glad you liked it!
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Raven0207
@DavidR said:
@Raven0207 said:
Thanks I really appreciate the kind words, I began with the roughs on Monday night and started the actual layouts Tuesday around 11pm. I was determined to get it in and posted it by 7:30 pm Wed. Did not sleep for over 24 hours. It's a pain when you have a regular life and add these big projects on top. I know, you already know that! : P  What you see is the updated one with the word balloons. Glad you liked it!

That expains what was puzzleing me. I saw that you wrote that 2 Face was mirrored but when i looked at it I was "Wait Two Face is right" I kept looking at it wondering if I was missing something. I really enjoy your storytelling and your take on 2 classics and making them your own. Beautiful Job !