• 71 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by PoachedPig (75 posts) - - Show Bio

First, thanks for all of your votes people!

I really have no idea which character I'd want to be re imagined. I was browsing pics from New 52 and l found her, STARFIRE .

I'm not really a fan of Kory's new costume so I want you to give her a new and fresh one! Have fun guys :P

DEADLINE:

  • May 21, 2012 (EXTENDED!)
  • 9:00 AM (GMT)
#2 Posted by BatWatch (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope someone can design something for Starfire which does not make her look like a whore.

#3 Posted by PoachedPig (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights: exactly what I was looking for...

#4 Posted by mfundo (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

This seems fun

#5 Posted by Blizaga101 (912 posts) - - Show Bio

@PoachedPig: you should make it a condition for the contest, "no whory re-designs" i think we had that rule during the psylcoke and emma frost contests?

#6 Edited by PoachedPig (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blizaga101: Yeah, I could do that but I don't really want to limit them artists if they really want those kinds of designs. So i'm just gonna leave it like that :)

#7 Edited by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Starfire's current costume. She seems..... empowered? It's original in some ways I suppose.

#8 Posted by Pacifist (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, this is my entry: 

#9 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@PoachedPig said:

@Blizaga101: Yeah, I could do that but I don't really want to limit the artists if they really want those kinds of designs. So i'm just gonna leave it like that :)

thank you for avoiding doing that, it really deters some artists who don't want to guess what someone else considers 'whory'. Personally I wouldn't judge someone as a whore based on looks, it's the actions that define that to me. :)

#10 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis: "It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" - One of the best quotes from any film ever.

#11 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (675 posts) - - Show Bio

I admit that I didn't know a lot about this character going in to this challenge. Besides a few episodes of the Teen Titans cartoon I've caught over the years I'd never known of her. Now that I've studied her a bit to prepare for this, I can't say it fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling. Her outfits and design feels so fetishistic. It's hard to feel otherwise with the extremely skimpy outfits and such. Not trying to be judgmental or anything, but that's how it made me feel. At least on the surface.

So I tried to focus on her royal lineage with my design, and give her an outfit that would reflect something a space faring princess from a doomed world might wear, at least in my mind. I added the white to the costume to represent virtue and the purple to represent the royalty. It works in my head anyway, you can decide how it works in practice. It's a far cry from the established persona and design, but that's kinda the point of these, or at least it's the reason I enjoy playing along.

#12 Posted by Blizaga101 (912 posts) - - Show Bio

im glad people are going with the green energy trademarks for starfire, i dislike the pink 52 version. I miss em blazing gren eyes :P

#13 Posted by coolsam125 (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats a Whore

#14 Posted by gorilla_girl (134 posts) - - Show Bio

I really love Starfire, so I did my best to come up with a non-skimpy design.

#15 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I admit that I didn't know a lot about this character going in to this challenge. Besides a few episodes of the Teen Titans cartoon I've caught over the years I'd never known of her. Now that I've studied her a bit to prepare for this, I can't say it fills me with a warm fuzzy feeling. Her outfits and design feels so fetishistic. It's hard to feel otherwise with the extremely skimpy outfits and such. Not trying to be judgmental or anything, but that's how it made me feel. At least on the surface.

So I tried to focus on her royal lineage with my design, and give her an outfit that would reflect something a space faring princess from a doomed world might wear, at least in my mind. I added the white to the costume to represent virtue and the purple to represent the royalty. It works in my head anyway, you can decide how it works in practice. It's a far cry from the established persona and design, but that's kinda the point of these, or at least it's the reason I enjoy playing along.

This is an amazing redesign, well done!

absoloutely love this costume!

#16 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (675 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106: Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

#17 Posted by PurpleFeather738 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

@gorilla_girl: This is a really good costume!

#18 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

beautiful designs so far and it goes to show you don't have to be skimpy to still look sexy.

Kory catches a lot of crap for her outfits and how she acts but I think a lotta people have forgotten that it's part of her cultural upbringing. Storm was very much the same way when she first came to the X-Men. You can't really fault a person for acting naturally to what they were brought up in or hold it against them and assume she's a whore because of it or how she looks. (or at least you shouldn't)

Starfire The Outlaw
#19 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis: Precisely. You are correct, and no one complains about all these movie stars and models flashing everything so why should fiction, where the reasons have basis which makes sense, be any different. Oh and that picture is absolutely amazing!!!!!

#20 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis: This is one of my favourites of yours, Tonis. I really like her facial expression, that hair, the costume. The whole thing. Kudos.

@gorilla_girl: That is so simplistic and beautiful. It works really well. :)

@ZZoMBiE13: I love the thought you put into this. The reasons behind the colours and the look are important, good work!

#21 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

Sketching an entry now. Should be interesting.

#22 Posted by Blizaga101 (912 posts) - - Show Bio

Heres my entry :P

I wanted to go with a completely different style so i cut stars hair and gave her a more alien/organic looking armour

#23 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (675 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blizaga101: I really dig that. Nice work dude!

#24 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis said:

Starfire The Outlaw

I would turn out the back foot and knee a bit, since the front leg is so pronated. Also, I'd move the hands a bit more forward and make them bigger. The wrists and the forearms are out of proportion with each other. :(

But the face looks very natural and the hair is fantastic!!!

#25 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem said:

@tonis: Precisely. You are correct, and no one complains about all these movie stars and models flashing everything so why should fiction, where the reasons have basis which makes sense, be any different. Oh and that picture is absolutely amazing!!!!!

thanks, yea it's funny how we can hold fictional alien characters to standards we hold. Can you imagine if a human was thrust into an alien world where everyone was naked how they would be perceived. :)

@Hawkeye446: thanks buddy, yea her face was really important to me to get the cute look she has in the cartoons mixed with the angrier look she has in battles in the books.

awesome design, with the haircut like that it reminds me of the Black Widow redesign of the 80's which I always dug. Great job :)

I experimented with the feet and bending the knees but it made her look shorter and more awkward. She tends to fly with a rather straight form and this worked best to show the costume. As for the wrists and forearms being out of proportion, the wrists are tight fitting gloves, the arms are a loose sleeved jacket that end in cuffs. They're supposed to fit like that ;)

#26 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (675 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis: It's not about holding the character to a set of standards, it's about holding the creators to making something cohesive and believable rather than making her thematically inconsistent. Show me any culture in history where they paraded their royalty around in outfits like that and I'll never bring it up again.

Again, I'm not super familiar with the character. But the small bit of exposure I've had to the cartoons and the wiki, it just doesn't seem thematically relevant to her character to wear outfits that would make a Bratz doll blush. If I'm wrong about that and she is a character who is legitimately using skimpy outfits and sexuality as a means of empowerment or if there is some reason her character dresses the way she does that I'm unaware of, then I'm sorry. My point was always that she deserved better. It just feels more like the creators are creating spank material than garb befitting space royalty.

#27 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: all you have to do is take a look at pretty much any national geographic issue and you'll see that there are still plenty of cultures out there not too caught up in wearing a lot of cloths. Be it a king or a tribal leader, what they wear or how they portray themselves is a result of their cultural beliefs, upbringing, and obviously surroundings.

Granted Starfire's sex appeal has been abused and exaggerated over time due to writers motivations to inject more sex into the picture but the creators who originally brought her onto the scene portrayed a beautiful and fierce warrior princess who came from an exotic world dominated by female influences.

to quote from vines bio:

Wolfman conceived the character as an exotic alien princess who was both sexy in appearance and a fierce warrior, essentially a "Red Sonja in outer space.

The people of Tamaran were portrayed as lovers as much as fighters:

The Tamaraneans are a passionate people driven more by emotion than reason. While they are unusually fierce warriors, their capacity for love is even greater than their capacity for hate; as a result, war and strife were for many centuries long forgotten on Tamaran. Instead, the people channeled their energies into creating a tropical utopia, a paradise where they could live in harmony with the wildlife and where battle skills were maintained largely for ceremony's sake.

look through history and see if you can find any examples of a tropical utopia or jungle paradise where the people covered themselves up in shame. You won't find any because once you get past our western mentality it just doesn't matter as much as we've made it out to be.

The writers in her early days did a very good job of making this relevant to her appearance and attitude, she clearly felt out of place on earth and was constantly being told to tone it down and it confused her constantly because of where she came from. On the Marvel side Storm too went through much of the same thing for a long time and she didn't even come from another planet but rather a different culture on earth.

I'll agree writers have gotten carried away with some of this over time but the initial reasoning behind why she dresses or acts the way she does comes from a very solid believable character background.

#28 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis: Unfortunately, the Starfire of old, the one that you described, is long gone. It's a shame, too, because she used to be one of my favorites. Now... not so much.

#29 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: yea I have no idea what they've done with her since the reboot, or for the past decade or so. My Starfire days go back to the Teen Titans of the 80's and early 90's before I stopped collecting them.

It's definitely a shame that they've messed with her so much, she was an interesting and fun character back then. I still enjoy seeing her in the cartoons, there she's very cute :)

#30 Posted by UNIQUE69 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE ALL THOSE PICTURES!!! WONDERFUL... BEAUTIFUL

#31 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pacifist: Looks like she should be in the Culling crossover. lol.

#32 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis: Great work. I really dislike full-body costumes for Starfire, but I really like what you did.

#33 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood said:

@tonis: Great work. I really dislike full-body costumes for Starfire, but I really like what you did.

yea me too. As I mentioned earlier I've always felt her costume choice was very relevant to her personality. Originally I started with something very skimpy, pretty much just what you see in purple, but I decided to challenge myself and see if I could retain the sexyness with a full bodysuit and a more 'outlaw' kind of look seeing as that's her group now.

Overall she's a really beautiful character so it wasn't too tough to get her to still look good even wrapped up :)

#34 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

Mine's nearly done :')

#35 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

No scanner so resolution and detail look bad, but, I am proud. More conservative look. Covered up. Unintentional, just thought it looked better!

#36 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446: Cute !

#37 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446 said:

No scanner so resolution and detail look bad, but, I am proud. More conservative look. Covered up. Unintentional, just thought it looked better!

She sooooooooo...

HOT!!!

LMAO!

#38 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis said:

I experimented with the feet and bending the knees but it made her look shorter and more awkward. She tends to fly with a rather straight form and this worked best to show the costume. As for the wrists and forearms being out of proportion, the wrists are tight fitting gloves, the arms are a loose sleeved jacket that end in cuffs. They're supposed to fit like that ;)

Since I've never worked with those 3-D models, I didn't understand their limitations. Never even thought for a minute that they HAD limitations.

I'm used to fudging things with a pencil and sometimes putting in exaggerated perspectives...sometimes MORE exaggerated...sometimes less. :D

#39 Posted by payno (959 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446: hehe, she's a hard one to resist doing eh :)

@payno: sweet design, I wish I had a 3d armor built that beautifully.

@Roxanne Starr said:

@tonis said:

I experimented with the feet and bending the knees but it made her look shorter and more awkward. She tends to fly with a rather straight form and this worked best to show the costume. As for the wrists and forearms being out of proportion, the wrists are tight fitting gloves, the arms are a loose sleeved jacket that end in cuffs. They're supposed to fit like that ;)

Since I've never worked with those 3-D models, I didn't understand their limitations. Never even thought for a minute that they HAD limitations.

I'm used to fudging things with a pencil and sometimes putting in exaggerated perspectives...sometimes MORE exaggerated...sometimes less. :D

human 3d models in poser typically don't have limitations unless you turn that setting on. That's used to avoid twisting a part into a position it can't go into. I've never needed to turn that on however as I typically stick to poses that don't require it. In this case it's a front on shot with a 75mm lens, that's not a diameter that's likely to cause any distortion or exaggeration. Everything is the size I wanted it to be. :)

#41 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis said:

@Hawkeye446: hehe, she's a hard one to resist doing eh :)

@payno: sweet design, I wish I had a 3d armor built that beautifully.

@Roxanne Starr said:

@tonis said:

I experimented with the feet and bending the knees but it made her look shorter and more awkward. She tends to fly with a rather straight form and this worked best to show the costume. As for the wrists and forearms being out of proportion, the wrists are tight fitting gloves, the arms are a loose sleeved jacket that end in cuffs. They're supposed to fit like that ;)

Since I've never worked with those 3-D models, I didn't understand their limitations. Never even thought for a minute that they HAD limitations.

I'm used to fudging things with a pencil and sometimes putting in exaggerated perspectives...sometimes MORE exaggerated...sometimes less. :D

human 3d models in poser typically don't have limitations unless you turn that setting on. That's used to avoid twisting a part into a position it can't go into. I've never needed to turn that on however as I typically stick to poses that don't require it. In this case it's a front on shot with a 75mm lens, that's not a diameter that's likely to cause any distortion or exaggeration. Everything is the size I wanted it to be. :)

As I said, I never tried the 3-d, so I'm having a hard time conceptualizing what you just said...except for the last sentence. :D

#42 Posted by cbishop (7159 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blizaga101 said:

Heres my entry :P

I wanted to go with a completely different style so i cut stars hair and gave her a more alien/organic looking armour

I hesitate to comment on art, because I don't think I draw well (certainly not people), but... I'm a fan of Starfire's long hair - it's like a motion line that's part of her. Even if it's short though, it should still be trailing energy... although now that I think about it, her hair doesn't spout energy when she's standing or walking, so I guess that's just when she's flying. Still, trying to picture how that would work with the short hair, when she flies... having a hard time seeing it.

The armor. I don't know. My first thought was animated Witchblade. Then the things around the neck made me think of gills, so I thought of Atlantean armor. Then I trailed off into space movies, and I have this feeling I've seen something very similar before. I've been a fan a long time though, so I get that feeling a lot these days lol. Looking at this, I realize too that I'm a fan of Kory's purple, so what would this look like in purple, I wonder?

#43 Posted by cbishop (7159 posts) - - Show Bio

A general note: Kory's not a white girl. She should look more tanned and exotic.

#44 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roxanne Starr: Hahahaha :P

@lykopis: @Fuchsia_Nightingale: Thank you :3

#45 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3940 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonis: Haha, I just have a pang on "inspiration".

#46 Posted by Blizaga101 (912 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop:

Erm thanks for the points I guess. Jus wanna say though the armour is an original design, wish I added more purple your right there but I thought the purple streaks would be a small hint to her original costume. Space theme yes but I wanted and organic look and nah wasn’t thinking of withcblade at all when I was creating it 100% original. Your right bout the previous fiery hair point though, in my sketches I drew her flying and the short hair did flutter like fire so instead I jus coloured like it was fire yknow cause she’s on her feet. And last point to cover up the skin thing, I see what you mean I should have used more orange, but in the pencilled version she is more orange but jus cause I slightly edited it on my lappy the skin has become lighter.

Thanks for the points though I do appreciate constructive criticism

#47 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blizaga101 said:

@cbishop:

Erm thanks for the points I guess. Jus wanna say though the armour is an original design, wish I added more purple your right there but I thought the purple streaks would be a small hint to her original costume. Space theme yes but I wanted and organic look and nah wasn’t thinking of withcblade at all when I was creating it 100% original. Your right bout the previous fiery hair point though, in my sketches I drew her flying and the short hair did flutter like fire so instead I jus coloured like it was fire yknow cause she’s on her feet. And last point to cover up the skin thing, I see what you mean I should have used more orange, but in the pencilled version she is more orange but jus cause I slightly edited it on my lappy the skin has become lighter.

Thanks for the points though I do appreciate constructive criticism

I like your attitude, Blizaga. Artwork, like any other discipline is a learning process that never ends. ;-)

#48 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to enter this so bad... but I have no scanner! :(

Moderator
#49 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (675 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roxanne Starr said:

@Blizaga101 said:

@cbishop:

Erm thanks for the points I guess. Jus wanna say though the armour is an original design, wish I added more purple your right there but I thought the purple streaks would be a small hint to her original costume. Space theme yes but I wanted and organic look and nah wasn’t thinking of withcblade at all when I was creating it 100% original. Your right bout the previous fiery hair point though, in my sketches I drew her flying and the short hair did flutter like fire so instead I jus coloured like it was fire yknow cause she’s on her feet. And last point to cover up the skin thing, I see what you mean I should have used more orange, but in the pencilled version she is more orange but jus cause I slightly edited it on my lappy the skin has become lighter.

Thanks for the points though I do appreciate constructive criticism

I like your attitude, Blizaga. Artwork, like any other discipline is a learning process that never ends. ;-)

I remember once when I was in college, one of my art professors shared a quote with us. I can't remember who said it, but it was along the lines of "I'm not an artist, I'm an art student. The minute you stop trying to learn you stop being an artist"

Something along those lines. I can't remember the exact wording, but the sentiment always stuck with me.

#50 Posted by cbishop (7159 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blizaga101 said:

@cbishop:

Erm thanks for the points I guess. Jus wanna say though the armour is an original design, wish I added more purple your right there but I thought the purple streaks would be a small hint to her original costume. Space theme yes but I wanted and organic look and nah wasn’t thinking of withcblade at all when I was creating it 100% original. Your right bout the previous fiery hair point though, in my sketches I drew her flying and the short hair did flutter like fire so instead I jus coloured like it was fire yknow cause she’s on her feet. And last point to cover up the skin thing, I see what you mean I should have used more orange, but in the pencilled version she is more orange but jus cause I slightly edited it on my lappy the skin has become lighter.

Thanks for the points though I do appreciate constructive criticism

Oh! Please don't think I was accusing you of lifting the design from something else! Like I said, I've been a fan for a long time, and it just made me think that I had seen something similar before. That stuff happens. I had been working on a character named Superior before Mark Millar came out with his book, and was shocked to see how much Millar's character looked like the image I had in mind for my character. It was total coincidence though - probably similar lines of thought brought us to a very similar outcome. I was just listing the train of thought that went by when I looked at your design. Also, the tanned skin comment wasn't just for your design - there's one or two others that made her too light. No worries though - like I said: I do not draw people worth anything. ;)