• 71 results
#1 Posted by J_Evan (52 posts) - - Show Bio

That's right. This time around, try redesigning everyone's favorite punchline, The King of Atlantis and the Seven Seas (that's like 2/3 of the world, for those keeping score, and BTW he doesn't talk to fish, he friggin' COMMANDS them, okay?) AQUAMAN

Deadline is Sunday, NOV. 7.

#2 Posted by Om1kron (1219 posts) - - Show Bio

See what I did there?
#3 Posted by tonis (6561 posts) - - Show Bio
@Om1kron: lol, pure visual genius :) 
About the only character who can pull it off, other than Namor of course.
#4 Posted by HarlequinKiss (516 posts) - - Show Bio
@Om1kron said:
"
 See what I did there?
"
Hahahaaa, I like this.
#5 Posted by rlmay3 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Stop the contest right now. We have our winner.

#6 Posted by Om1kron (1219 posts) - - Show Bio
@rlmay3 said:
" Stop the contest right now. We have our winner. "
haha lets not be brash it was meant as a prank, I'll actually get cracking on my actual drawing once I know what I want to throw down.
#7 Posted by rlmay3 (273 posts) - - Show Bio
@Om1kron: I don't know, man. It will be tough to top such an original design, haha!!
#8 Edited by DavidR (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

Another learning exercise, some of it I like, some I don't.. On to the next piece... : P
#9 Posted by tonis (6561 posts) - - Show Bio
@DavidR: ah, a 'timepiece' :)
#10 Posted by DavidR (1470 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis said:
" @DavidR: ah, a 'timepiece' :) "
Yeahuh! : )
#11 Posted by payno (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio
@payno: Ooh, nice job :)
#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to make Aquaman look like a king, so I tried to make him look more like Poseidon or Neptune
#14 Posted by Night Thrasher (3805 posts) - - Show Bio
@payno: That is epic...It puts me in the mind of Thor's recent redesign...I likey !
#15 Posted by rocketpig (273 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to give him a SoCal surfer feel with longer hair and wetsuit. I would have colored the suit a little differently but I didn't have any grey Prismacolors on hand (need to go pick some up). This was a nice test for me so I could use my new markers. 

#16 Posted by Om1kron (1219 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice colors man very clean drawing. 

#17 Edited by Om1kron (1219 posts) - - Show Bio

ball point pen, pigment pens, and pitt pens, white gel ink for highlights, and random highlighters at work for color. 

Aquaman
#18 Posted by sora_thekey (8654 posts) - - Show Bio

Great entries so far guys!

#19 Posted by Decept-O (7682 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
"Great entries so far guys! "

I second that.   Wow, really great drawings here, upping the ante for Aquaman.  Sink or swim!  *pun intended*
#20 Edited by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio
@Om1kron: Really nice job, dude

Am I allowed to put up a different image? I made a few alterations...
#21 Posted by J_Evan (52 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: Go for it.
#22 Posted by tonis (6561 posts) - - Show Bio

Lot of inspiration coming out of this one. Some fantastic water effects and creative posing going on with all you guys. 
Aquaman may get a lot of crap compared to other heroes but he'd be proud to see the turnout here.

#23 Posted by Manarg (98 posts) - - Show Bio

All the inspiration anyone really needs.

#24 Posted by tonis (6561 posts) - - Show Bio
@Manarg: oh man, I'm gonna make sure he's throwing a starfish like a chinese star in my submission for sure now :)
#25 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, here's my finished product. I'm new to painting on the computer, but I think I did well considering what I have to work with :) 

Basically the same as I did before, but reverse the colors. I brought back the hook hand and made him look more like the king he's supposed to be. 
#26 Posted by tonis (6561 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: awesome job Gambit, your Ultron was my favorite piece from you so far but this just literally blows things out of the water (or into it). There's some very creative coloring techniques your picking up. 
Excellent progression I'm seeing out of your work with each new contest.
#27 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis: Thank you so much! I'm gonna try to do more and more stuff on the computer. Hopefully one day I'll actually win a contest :)
#28 Posted by tonis (6561 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
" @tonis: Thank you so much! I'm gonna try to do more and more stuff on the computer. Hopefully one day I'll actually win a contest :) "
When your stepping up your game like that you've ALREADY won the big contest :)
#29 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis:  

:D 

#30 Posted by sora_thekey (8654 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: Woah! The progression in your art is great man! I am loving it!
#31 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: Thanks dude :)
#32 Posted by Om1kron (1219 posts) - - Show Bio

nothing is final until the deadline, knock yourself out.

#33 Edited by deadpool1109 (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Heres mine.. finally got to scanning the thing, been lying in my bag since the 26th.. lol 
Alright I haven't coloured it, cuz i cant use photoshop for colouring, i only know ver basic photo editing and i dont want to colour in my sketchbook, unless i copy it first.. (dont know why i like doing that) 
anyway criticize away!!   
(also tips are very very welcome :P )

#34 Posted by Manarg (98 posts) - - Show Bio

I decided to enter this, I have been toying with a new more angular style so I guess aquaman will be my first place to show it.

#35 Edited by deadpool1109 (452 posts) - - Show Bio
@Om1kron:  insane work man! love the whole wet suit feel to it, and the toes, and ofcourse the bubbles coming out of the nose are a nice touch! you got my vote when it begins. 
Also did you give him a tail??
#36 Posted by Om1kron (1219 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool1109 said:
" @Om1kron:  insane work man! love the whole wet suit feel to it, and the toes, and ofcourse the bubbles coming out of the nose are a nice touch! you got my vote when it begins. Also did you give him a tail?? "
Thanks for the compliment, I was looking around all night at wetsuits and how they're actually sewn and what not. You'd be amazed at how purpose built those things are. I mean from a design perspective I dunno why the fuck someone made him all metal/cyborg/can opener. lol
#37 Posted by spawndon (1417 posts) - - Show Bio

my piece. 
I will surely color it.

#38 Posted by deadpool1109 (452 posts) - - Show Bio
@Om1kron:  metal cyborg can opener?  you reffering to the dc costume where he has the metal uppers and the hook, or one of the designs here (please dont be mine :P) 
but yeah, it makes sense from a regular humans point of view to have an underwater character in a wetsuit, but Im guessing from the atlantians point of view Im guessing the armour is made of some sort of alloy which is created specifically for underwater combat/movement etc.
#39 Posted by Om1kron (1219 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool1109 said:
" @Om1kron:  metal cyborg can opener?  you reffering to the dc costume where he has the metal uppers and the hook, or one of the designs here (please dont be mine :P) but yeah, it makes sense from a regular humans point of view to have an underwater character in a wetsuit, but Im guessing from the atlantians point of view Im guessing the armour is made of some sort of alloy which is created specifically for underwater combat/movement etc. "
I'm talking about the current dc costume design. It seems like a rip off of bionic commando, plus the whole cyborg design thing is starting to become a cheap cop out to me where design flaws may lie. I mean I use it to, but I feel it's overused on characters who aren't complete cyborgs. the articulation lines that are supposed to make be believe this charater can now turn or bend sideways because you drew horizontal lines conveying this is flexible metal have nowhere to adhere to the body, no main metal mechanism or gear that shows how it works.  

But then again these characters can breath underwater and deflect bullets and can take the pressure of the ocean but if bitten by a great white, lets nevermind their original abilities, that still hurts. LOL! I just thing people make stupid design decisions with major characters. 
#40 Posted by Jotham (4577 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang. Some good stuff here. I don't like Aquaman, but all of your art is still good.

#41 Posted by reaper2923 (2863 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice artwork everyone :P but Aquaman is still a loser

#42 Posted by EGoD (1650 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, here's my entry
#43 Posted by Decept-O (7682 posts) - - Show Bio
@EGoD:
Wow.  I really like it.  Nice job.
#44 Posted by mcrmy13 (61 posts) - - Show Bio
@Om1kron: he Kindda looks like Namor the submariner!!!!
#45 Posted by tonis (6561 posts) - - Show Bio
@EGoD: great interpretation, the armor is molded around him perfectly and very slickly designed. 
The shade of orange/red you chose is much better than the pumpkin orange he typically has and you did a beautiful job with the coloring. 

There's a lot of inspiration to work from here.
#46 Posted by Final Arrow (24322 posts) - - Show Bio
@EGoD said:
"
Okay, here's my entry "
I love the way you did this and the look on his face, "Sorry I can't here you over my awesomeness "
#47 Posted by EGoD (1650 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks,  I didn't know if I was even gonna enter since I'm trying to get other stuff done but I decided to put one out.  Everyone's done a great job in bringing new life to Aquaman. 

@Final Arrow:

lol, that was entirely coincidence since I really didn't think about his face much.

@tonis:

Colouring is the one thing that takes me the longest and least favourite since I do it all by hand, thanks :) 

#48 Posted by GothamBat (652 posts) - - Show Bio
@EGoD:  I'm not an artist in the slightest, but if I was, I'd want to draw like you.
#49 Posted by Om1kron (1219 posts) - - Show Bio
@mcrmy13 said:
" @Om1kron: he Kindda looks like Namor the submariner!!!! "
I think you may be on to something there Watson. 
#50 Posted by deadpool1109 (452 posts) - - Show Bio
@Om1kron: yeah i guess so, but hey its a bunch of superheros, if it was supposed to make sense to us mere mortals, they wouldn't be superheros now... would they??