Constructive Critisim for my Sketch please?

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VyseCarma

I would upload this too Artist show off and ask them, but I'm not sure it goes there... In fact I'm not even sure it goes here but I'm trying to get any sort of Feedback and DA is dead so...

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for cozy_da_djed_eye
Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Pretty good, Vyse. The feet remind me of daffy duck's bill, ha. Not trying to dis though. Like I said it's not bad.

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VyseCarma

Thank you. They do kinda remind me of Daffy when I pull them out of the pic, I'll find a way to better that.

Avatar image for cozy_da_djed_eye
Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

@VyseCarma: You won't have to. Your art is your expression, duder. It's what makes you and/or your self expression unique. I like the duck feet =]

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VyseCarma

I think I may have found that more constructive than a comment about the art itself

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Deranged Midget

@VyseCarma: This belongs in the Artists Show Off forum, but I'll gladly move it for you.

Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By darth_brendroid

I'd suggest just looking at the anatomy a bit more. Even if you intend to exaggerate features, being able to draw more anatomically accurate can help. At least that's the theory.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crash_Recovery

It's a good start. I'm with about anatomy. There are some great comic drawing books that point out how to form body parts from circles, cylinders, etc. That'd be a good next step for you. After that, perspective could be helpful as well. But I'd definitely look towards developing the "frame" of your character and then filling in the details.

Keep going!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#9  Edited By cbishop

@VyseCarma: I don't consider myself much of an artist (I gave up my mediocre drawing in favor of my above average writing long ago)... however, I have a question about the feet: is he standing on a level surface, leaning to one side, or is the archer's left foot supposed to be hiked up on something (like a box or such)? A grounding line would be helpful.

As far as anatomy, I don't find that as crucial. Consistency from panel to panel is nice (meaning the characters look the same throughout the story) but whether they're the super detailed anatomies of an Alex Ross painting, or the curlicued knees of a Fred Hembeck 'toon, what I'm really looking for is a good story. ...So I guess what I'm saying is focus on consistency, rather than on nailing Michaelangelo's technique.

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VyseCarma

@cbishop said:

@VyseCarma: I don't consider myself much of an artist (I gave up my mediocre drawing in favor of my above average writing long ago)... however, I have a question about the feet: is he standing on a level surface, leaning to one side, or is the archer's left foot supposed to be hiked up on something (like a box or such)? A grounding line would be helpful.

As far as anatomy, I don't find that as crucial. Consistency from panel to panel is nice (meaning the characters look the same throughout the story) but whether they're the super detailed anatomies of an Alex Ross painting, or the curlicued knees of a Fred Hembeck 'toon, what I'm really looking for is a good story. ...So I guess what I'm saying is focus on consistency, rather than on nailing Michaelangelo's technique.

My writing and art is along the same lines: Average with lots of room for improvement. When I first started drawing I was pretty much like every other 10-year-old obsessed with DBZ and its taken forever to break the mold of anime and move more into comics. So I'm still in the transiting inbetween states.

Also, he's meant to be leaning into the shot.

kingjoeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By kingjoeg

@VyseCarma: Hey could you give me some feedback too thanks and I'll give you some. http://www.comicvine.com/forums/artist-show-off/4/my-spider-man-page/696686/

I love the hair on your drawing i find that difficult. But the feet and legs could be shaped better, as the feet look a little like a ducks. Also the body is a a little small compared to the head, if thats the look you was going for then great but the general marvel rule is to draw a person 8 heads high.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cbishop

@VyseCarma said:

My writing and art is along the same lines: Average with lots of room for improvement. When I first started drawing I was pretty much like every other 10-year-old obsessed with DBZ and its taken forever to break the mold of anime and move more into comics. So I'm still in the transiting inbetween states.

Also, he's meant to be leaning into the shot.

I should clarify: while I do think my writing is above average, I still consider there to be great room for improvement. In the end, it's up to readers whether or not they like what I write.

As for the your drawing, if he's leaning into the shot, a horizon line (I think that's the proper term, rather than grounding line) somewhere in the background would go great lengths towards showing that. The fact that you can draw people puts you lightyears ahead of me. ;)

stambo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By stambo42

@cbishop said:

Alex Ross is more concerned with naturalism than Michelangelo. Michelangelo is like, if Rob Liefeld had class and knew how to draw feet... among other things.

stambo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By stambo42

@VyseCarma: The legs exist in space, but the top half of the body flattens out all Egyptian like. The figure would be in the process of falling over, leaning that far forward. Take the pose to figure stuff like that out. With legs like that, I'd figure the torso would be leaning back, with the bow and arrow pointed more towards the viewer, forshorted and all that. Also, that arrow would tear up his hand if he fired it. look at images of how actual archers hold their bows, and where they place their arrows.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cbishop

@stambo42 said:

Alex Ross is more concerned with naturalism than Michelangelo. Michelangelo is like, if Rob Liefeld had class and knew how to draw feet... among other things.

Proving my point: I don't know art terribly well. ;)

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ARMIV2

That's not bad for a starting point at all. I would recommend practicing some more with anatomy as well as depth and perception.

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VyseCarma

I'm praticing as we speak

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I'm not an expert on art by any means (though some of these guys are, the vine is a great place for artistic feedback) but I like it.

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VyseCarma

Better?

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By darth_brendroid

@VyseCarma: Kinda; it's still got much of the style of your original piece, but the figure looks more fleshed out. I think mostly the bent leg looks off.

@stambo42: Michelangelo preferred sculpting at any rate.

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VyseCarma

Avatar image for jack_before_joker
jack_before_joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think you should add more detail to the bow, and depth to the face. i really like everything else though!

holaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By holaso

Aside from drawing basics like perspective, depth, and volume Anatomy is your first step. Learn how the skeletal structure is able to move and swivel to see what positions are possible. Next is the muscle groups and how it fits onto the skeletal structure...and how it makes shapes. Next and the longest journey is how the muscle groups flex and relax. All along the way you can play with dynamic poses. Friend me on DA and I'll give you more indepth constructive criticism with drawings to guide you. http://holaso.deviantart.com

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By turoksonofstone

I like it though I guess all that really matters is what you intended when you set out to create it.

Does it look the way you intended?

Are you looking to draw in your own style or imitate the mainstream?

snoweye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By snoweye

maybe you should focus on your line, to be more energetic and simplistic, but no simple. ;)

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By VyseCarma

Yes it kinda does, the leg is a little funny.

Kinda both...

Can you be a little more specific?

snoweye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By snoweye

maybe make the line more thicker or thiner, playing with it to give more strenght to he draawings.(i, m spanish and sometimes my vocabulary don,t let me explain quite well):)

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By willpayton

@VyseCarma

You need to work more on the anatomy.

Question: Are you working the drawing from the inside out, starting with volumes (cylinders, spheres, etc), or are you going right to the outlines?