• 52 results
#1 Edited by payno (949 posts) - - Show Bio

For this contest I'd like everyone to create a character based on a bird. The character can be a hero or a villain. They can have bird based powers, a bird themed costume or even just named after a bird. 

here are some examples:  

Falcon

Hawkgirl

Vulture

Black Canary

Deadline is July 20th 

#2 Posted by KEROGA (934 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome idea,am actually reading birds of prey as i type this down,lol
#3 Posted by SteveRodgers (728 posts) - - Show Bio

Talon the Aves

had the idea for a while but was waiting for a perfect opportunity like this.
#4 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@SteveRodgers: Does he have any specific powers? Pretty cool, keep your ideas coming.

#5 Edited by SteveRodgers (728 posts) - - Show Bio

he has the power of flight, and his hands turn into talons at will. he can control birds, and emits screeches like that of birds. also 20/20 vision. side note, he is a hero.

#6 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@SteveRodgers: Pretty cool, I like his powers and story!

#7 Posted by SteveRodgers (728 posts) - - Show Bio

thank you 
it's hard to think of original material
criticism is always welcome

#8 Edited by NileThunderer (33 posts) - - Show Bio

First picture I've drawn and uploaded, so any advice would be appreciated. I know the left arm looks smaller and the hands don't really show up. I also don't know how to flip it rightside up. I tried multiple things.   
Anyways, for the story. His name is Teddy Ellington. He was a soldier, his legs were blown off from an IED and now suffers from PTSD. His friend made him talons with new technology to try to help him cope because Teddy was an avid bird watcher. Then he watched a bird and learned how to fly and use his talons. The end. I actually have no ideas to give the characters I come up with their powers.

#9 Edited by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't complete yet, but here is an entry for consideration.

At the River Styx, a guardian sits perched atop his aviary, watching to ensure no souls escape from the water way. He is the Death Bird, created from the bones and scraps of flesh of the first men killed on Earth, his wings are imbued with the metal shavings of weapons used to kill those men. Should any souls dare to escape he shall slice their essences open and eat them whole.

#10 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Aliases: God of wind, Favorite son of Aluras.

Identity: Publicly Known

Citizenship: U.S.A.

Place of Birth: Aluras

Powers: Power Cosmic, Invulnerability, Super strength, Unarmed Combat, Superhuman Speed, Regeneration,  flight, Energy Absorption, Super Senses, and Matter 
Control.

Argad, son of Ishad was born on Aluras, the 4th planet from the sun in the Centaurus galaxy. Alurasians are a brutal race of warriors with Godlike abilities who conquered countless planets across the Universe. At an early age, young Alurasians were trained in the art of warfare with conquest as their primary purpose in life. As a kid Argad was an exceptional student who excelled in training, and was regarded as one of the most gifted warrior Aluras has ever seen. Argad's best friend Isris, son of the King of Aluras, was never as gifted as Argad, and was always in Argad's shadow. When Argad came of age he was already a highly accomplished warrior, as a result he was finally granted by the King himself to go and conquer new planets. Before Argad could set off to conquer his first planet the news that his sick father whom he has not seen for years was dying reached him. Argad rushed to see his dying father, in his deathbed his father told him how life as a conquering warrior is not a life worth living. Ishad made his son promise him that he will be a force for good and not a force for evil, Argad promised. Now it's been 12 years since Argad's father passed away, in that time Argad defected from the Alurasian kingdom, made Earth his home, lived life as a superhero, and even joined the Guild Of Justice. As Argad was beginning to enjoy life on Earth things would turn for the worst when Alurasian kingdom's army led by Argad's old friend Isris reached Earth with only one objective in mind, conquest. Now Argad must stand against his own people and defend his new home, Earth. 
#11 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: Whoa, that's just epic. 
#12 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja: Thanks I appreciate it. I like your art and am reading the story now.

#13 Posted by FrischDVH (591 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O
That design is great. Looks like a human version of Rodan.
#14 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@FrischDVH: Thank You.

#15 Posted by The_razors_edge (55 posts) - - Show Bio

I did a group of three. The leader is the Gray Goose, who has lost both his arms and legs to the sharpshooter villan the Clay Pigeon. Gray Gooses' great grand daughter is the Lark, who uses missdirection and trickery to confound her opponents. And lastly the muscle of the team is Chicken Hawk, Who was a small chick that was doomed to die 'till a simple minded farm hand fed him a dna hybred corn feed taht altered his dna and transmutated him it to a powerhouse.  Together they are know as the Flock, and their never ending battle is fought with the Clay Pigeon, who will not rest 'till his father is avenged and the dirty birds who killed his dad are crushed. 

#16 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_razors_edge: The Chicken Hawk...simply too awesome.

#17 Posted by IcePrince_X (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree Chicken Hawk looks awesome but Lark is interesting as well.

#18 Edited by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio

skipped the gym to finish this. i hope it don't look too much like razors. 

introducing: THE COCK - WRESTLING SUPER HERO 

tidbit from interview - 

The Justice League: "So Cocky? What's your origin story?" 
The Cock: "What?" 
The Justice League: " We'd like to know how you came to be a hero" 
The Cock: "IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT YOU WANT!" 

edit: forgot to turn my layers back on.

#19 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW! this choice blew up like crazy, what a killer collection of entries so far :)

#20 Edited by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunjin: Now that's some funny stuff right there!

#21 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: thank you sir. i like how you're only guy who thought to use metal wings.
#22 Posted by ssejllenrad (12778 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by ssejllenrad (12778 posts) - - Show Bio
@gunjin said:
skipped the gym to finish this. i hope it don't look too much like razors. 

introducing: THE COCK - WRESTLING SUPER HERO 

tidbit from interview - 

The Justice League: "So Cocky? What's your origin story?" 
The Cock: "What?" 
The Justice League: " We'd like to know how you came to be a hero" 
The Cock: "IT DOESN"T MATTER WHAT YOU WANT!" 

edit: forgot to turn my layers back on.
BEST ENTRY EVER!!!!! :D
#24 Posted by maxicere (935 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have a name or power for him. I believe that him could be a bounty hunter from another planet.

#25 Posted by maxicere (935 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: Nice design!!!
#26 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@maxicere: Dang, that is pretty good, I really like it. Great work. @maxicere: Thanks!

#27 Edited by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@gunjin: Finally.......The Cock .........has come back to Comicvine.  

@ssejllenrad: 
I would love to read dodo man comic and see his sidekick pee pee man. 

@maxicere : niiiiiiiiiice.  

@payno: Amazing as always. 
#28 Posted by payno (949 posts) - - Show Bio
EAGLE-OWL 

Eagle-Owl's armour has miniaturized anti-gravity devices wired throughout it which provides lift and propulsion, giving him the ability to fly. His gauntlets contain an array of offensive and defensive weaponry. The blades on his arms help give him stability in flight and can also be used as weapons. 

#29 Posted by maxicere (935 posts) - - Show Bio
@payno: Amazing design!!
#30 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad: thanks man. as you may be able to tell, i'm a big fan of your choice of color palette.  

@cyberninja said:
@gunjin: Finally.......The Cock .........has come back to Comicvine.  

@ssejllenrad: 
I would love to read dodo man comic and see his sidekick pee pee man. 

@maxicere : niiiiiiiiiice.  

@payno: Amazing as always. 
as kurt angle would say - it's true, IT"S DAMN TRUE. 

@maxicere: i like the grittiness of yours. it reminds me of chaykin or 90's jae lee. 

@payno: while i am a monochromatic man in life and design, i am envious of your ability to apply color. and seeing as how you have the same swatch as the entry i'm working on for my ray 2099, also a little self infuriating.
#31 Posted by payno (949 posts) - - Show Bio
@gunjin
@maxicere: 
@cyberninja: 

Thanks to you all for the comments.
#32 Posted by ssejllenrad (12778 posts) - - Show Bio
@payno: I am a fan of you but now I'm convinced you are cheating! You are juicing up with arteroid to increase your artosterone and become the uber artist... 

Nyehehehe! Kidding mate. I love your design. :D
#33 Posted by payno (949 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad

Ha! Thanks.
#34 Posted by Project_Worm (2865 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad said:
Dude love this especially the line at the end
#35 Posted by The_razors_edge (55 posts) - - Show Bio
@gunjin: Nice, I'm glad I changed my guys name.
@IcePrince_X: Thanks. I like Lark also, I see her like a biker chic.
@Decept-O: Thanks, Man he was this close to being called Little Chicken The Super Cock!
#36 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG this could end up being the funniest contest yet, and every one of you has upped the bar in the drawing and design side too.

Turning into a really fun one, great idea Payno :)

#37 Posted by pedromalone (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say so far my vote goes to Payno's character, Though I don't know if the name  How about the Strigihawk  (Strigiform for the Order of the Owl) then hawk in stead of eagle? I think it sounds a bit more dramatic, yet that's just a suggestion.
#38 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_razors_edge said:
@gunjin: Nice, I'm glad I changed my guys name.
@IcePrince_X: Thanks. I like Lark also, I see her like a biker chic.
@Decept-O: Thanks, Man he was this close to being called Little Chicken The Super Cock!
thanks brother. insane how much work you generated so quickly.
#39 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunjin: No problemo. Well sad part is I may have a bit more time available as I am "disabled" and home more often than others, that is the only reason. Still, I thank you.

#40 Posted by The_razors_edge (55 posts) - - Show Bio
@gunjin
Ha I have my moments. Just trying to get back in the game, it's been awhile.
#41 Edited by deadpool1109 (423 posts) - - Show Bio
@gunjin: Ha ha ha ha!! that had me in splits!! I love the Rock reference!! Dwayne "The Cock" Johnson!! :P  (that sounds wrong on so many levels)
#42 Posted by deadpool1109 (423 posts) - - Show Bio
@payno:  You wow us as always Payno!! I especially like the eyes, intense!!
 @Decept-O: That is a really nice piece of work my friend!! 
 @maxicere:  I love the colouring you've done, the shadowing and the graininess around the character really give it this dark vibe!!  
#43 Posted by Blizaga101 (840 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this contest still open? Im working on a character right now, but id be stupid to post it if the contest was done, yah know :P
#44 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blizaga101: It is open until July 20th, 2011. It is on the front page. Still time left for you to enter according to Payno's deadline.

#45 Posted by Blizaga101 (840 posts) - - Show Bio

Here’s my avian character, Enjoy: P  

Her name is Harmonia Perez. Harmonia’s family were looking forward towards a bright future after her father landed a promotion which would earn more money for the family and Harmonia was studying to become a professional dancer. But after her fathers business went bust. Under pressure her father committed suicide leaving Harmonia and hr mother to fend for themselves. She became a prostitute and exotic dancer to earn extra money but it wasn’t enough for her. She was going to have the perfect life, but she was dealt a bad hand by fate. One night, one of her clients got a bit rough with her and she killed him by accident. She hid in an old antiques shop were the owner - an Old Russian women- saw the despair in her eyes and gave her a cloak made out of pink feathers. The women said that the clock would give her great fortune and Harmonia left. She was then confronted by police. Harmonia cloak felt her fear and attacked the policemen. Her jacket was magical orientated and gave her the ability to create constructs any way she desired from the feathers on the jacket; wings, giant arms, weapons and projectiles. She called herself Flamingo and became a super powered thief and mercenary.

#46 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool1109 said:
@gunjin: Ha ha ha ha!! that had me in splits!! I love the Rock reference!! Dwayne "The Cock" Johnson!! :P  (that sounds wrong on so many levels)
thanks man. glad i brought some levity. 

@Blizaga101: i like the concept of a pretty woman superhero, also the glasses. i don't know if this was intentional but the fact that she's "pigeon" toed is a coup de grace. i'm surprised you didn't go with pigeon as the name - re: "i don't want no pigeons" - sporty thieves.
#47 Posted by Blizaga101 (840 posts) - - Show Bio

They aint pigeon toes, i just really cant draw shoes at certain angles :P lol 

I'll be sure to change her name to pigeon if i find any pink pigeons on google :D
#48 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blizaga101: haha true. i guess the amount of strip clubs named flamingo cancels out the amount of prostitutes called pigeons.
#49 Posted by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blizaga101: Very imaginative, love the story and design.

#50 Posted by spawndon (1373 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: You yourself designed a great avian character. Like the "overseer of souls" type.
I really like it.