#1 Edited by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

For those of you familiar with Gravel, you'll recognize the term right away. I'm looking for a new member of the major seven - The overseers of Britain's occult hierarchy. 

Contest closes december 5 @ 6pm EST.
#2 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085: so like the minor 8th :)
#3 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

I've updated the OP to be a little less vague, but I think the title is a little too specific. If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them for you. 

#4 Posted by Dr_Sarcasmic (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a huge fan of Ellis and his take on magic (it always makes me think of Clive Barker's imaginings on the same subject).  I apparently have only scratched the surface as to what he has done but this has me extremely curious.  I'm not familiar with these comics but would love to toss some art like skills down on something creative like this.  I guess if I had a question it would be, how familiar with the series do I need to be to participate?  I've read the bio and can always look around online for more info, but will I need to have read any issues to create something unique out of this?

#5 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dr_Sarcasmic: That'd be great if you could share your art. Definitely check out this series if you are a fan of Ellis. I don't think you have to too familiar with the series at all really, though it would obviously help. The overseers of Britain's occult hierarchy - They are corrupt elitists' and are the most powerful magic users in the country. There are also the minor seven who are also very powerful but more of a lower tier usually. Combat magician seems to be a specialty, but just leaving it open to any magic user and any concept of magic would just be entirely too vague.
#6 Posted by EGoD (1515 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I've never heard of this, I love magic and stuff but this is really new to me, what kind of characters are these guys, is this set in a certain era?
#7 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@EGoD:
You should check it out. As with most of Ellis's work the characters tend to be gritty, dark, quirky, sharp tongued and a little twisted. It's modern. 
#8 Edited by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

I've still got some work to do on it, so I'll call this a preview for now.

#9 Posted by spawndon (1373 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085: brushes from redheadstock.
Great preview man!
#10 Edited by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@spawndon said:

" @LT1085: brushes from redheadstock. Great preview man! "

Thanks. You're recognizing the arcane circle brush, correct? Are the three shrunken heads and potion vials distinguishable enough?
#11 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

kinda liking the concept of the title... just need to know what it exactly means to hit the right note though.

#12 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@IcePrince_X:   It's fairly difficult to express for some reason. I'm not looking for a Gravel clone, I think you have some room to play with this one a bit. (excerpt from  above)  The overseers of Britain's occult hierarchy - They are corrupt elitists' and are the most powerful magic users in the country. There are also the minor seven who are also very powerful but more of a lower tier usually. Combat magician seems to be a specialty, but just leaving it open to any magic user and any concept of magic would just be entirely too vague. 

NOTE: 

If there are any Gravel fan's out there that can help me explain this one, your help would be greatly appreciated!

#13 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what I've come up with so far, any ideas on what I should add to it are welcome.

#14 Posted by EGoD (1515 posts) - - Show Bio

That is wicked, I love the face, I'm still working on something, been doing a lot of research on Gravel but there isn't much online that explains the Major Seven and the whole combat magician whatchyamacallit.
#15 Posted by spawndon (1373 posts) - - Show Bio

woohoo!
LT is doing a great job here... :)

#16 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that Michael Caine? anyway, good work :)

#17 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Constantine:  IT IS! (At least in part) I was waiting for someone to recognize it. 
#18 Posted by EGoD (1515 posts) - - Show Bio

Madeline Wales - Dark & Seductive

She carries an athame with a unique snake style handle that has been in her family for generations.  Her family is lineage dates back to royalty and have practiced ancient magic for centuries.  Madeline is the last in her line after her family mysteriously died in an epic fire that engulfed their castle when she was a child, found inside the middle of the castle completely unharmed by the fire holding her athame with the runes on the blade sparkling.  She is very skilled with her athame throwing it with uncanny precision and has used it to carve ancient writings into sacrifices during mystic rituals. 

#19 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@EGoD: VERY NICE! Great character description as well.
#20 Posted by EGoD (1515 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085:

Thanks, you picked a real challenge for this one, it was fun. 
#21 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:
" This is what I've come up with so far, any ideas on what I should add to it are welcome.
"
That's fantastic. 
#22 Edited by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

My take on this one.... 
 I have to admit I am still a blank slate on my take to this but relied more on my gut feel on how this character can more or less flow with the entire story line. 

Madame 
A sorceress out of time but definitely in the right place. She is a dark magic user whose ability to manipulate air elements (smoke as her favorite base material) is legendary from simple illusion constructs to life force draining.  

Her voice also known to soothe evil the most powerful demons and can heal mental wounds and shattered spirits.  
Not much of a physical fighter but her use of a magically laced gun that will make her hit her target no matter what the odds makes up for it. 

Brief History: 
An evil young mage went back to time and found Madame. They fell in love but when the young mage is about to return to his time, he made a pact to the devil to bring back Madame with him but like any deal with the devil, it is not with a price. The minute, the two lovers  set foot on the present time. The devil took the soul of the mage leaving Madame by herself. 

Beautiful, young and powerful and lost in the city what else can she do? She started a club and slowly worked her way up to the hierarchy. Always playing at the background but creating a strong contact and hold to anyone in greater power to serve her purpose. 

She met Gravel once and had a brief affair that end up Gravel breaking her heart. But never a sour loser, Madame vows to get Gravel back no matter what with a motive of just to break up with him again so as for him to feel her pain when he broke up with her... but will she able to really do it once she gets him back?      

--------------------------------------- 
The ink and semi-colored version of Madame 

Madame in Full Color: Official Entry for the Contest 
#23 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@IcePrince_X: Very cool. I really like the smoke demon and the description except for her motive(She should just want to kill him now, the revenge breakup thing doesn't really work). Your pencils were great, but it got a little sloppy with the inks IMHO. Great job other than that.
#24 Edited by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@EGoD:
Nicely done. 

@IcePrince_X:
Both are great.  It is always a challenge to ink and get coloring done correctly by hand.  Honestly I prefer the first one with the pencils but the second one is still good.  You're imaginative and very talented.     

@LT1085:  I like the fact you used Michael Caine's face.  The background with the spirit captured in the wall with the bullet holes is a real nice effect.  I guess he went all "Harry Brown" on it?
#25 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

@LT1085 
I am now determined to regain my talent in inking. Thanks for the heads up... I should start practicing with my inking. 

@Decept-O 
Thanks for the compliment. I guess, I decided to venture again in inking and now coloring to just put myself one notch higher and outside my comfort zone in our artist show-off showdown. Life is a risk anyway.  

At least I can say that most of you guys appreciate my pencils and thus, I have at least my stepping stone. :-) 

#26 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@IcePrince_X:
Don't get me wrong, I like the colors too!  I think you should pursue that more.  Its just your pencils are real tight on that sketch.  I am one who appreciates black and white art, so pencils and inks just wow me a lot of the time.   

I like the added blue background.  Very nice!
#27 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a rough draft right now, will try to do a completed sketch soon if I have time.    

Again, I am not familiar with Mr. Ellis' comic here nor do I know if this would even fit the criteria for the contest but here is my attempt:

I call her "Bellona V".  She uses a whip of discord, which was created from threads of the tunic from  the Greek goddess of the same name.  She uses it to ensnare violent spirits and dispense them into the nether.   

She also has a scrying eye which enables her to see such spirits and she also uses it when chasing and capturing them, it gives her heightened sight in the natural world as well.   

#28 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O:  Nicely done, it absolutely fits. You say this is a rough draft?
#29 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085:
Thanks!  Was worried it wasn't quite the right criteria.    

Yes, it is a rough draft drawn in HB pencil with just a bit of colored ink on newsprint paper.  I may try another inked sketch on better quality paper if I have time.
#30 Posted by Dark Walker (477 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow most of us thought of doing women, LOL. 

Here's mine, like the others I hope I did this right. :D

Midnight Jane worked as a magicians assistant learning to be an expert escape artist.  She also learned that she had abilities beyond those of your tricks and trade magician, she could cast real magic and spells.  As well she can see mystical auras and read other magic users power levels.  Since awakening to her other abilities she has set out on a path to find others who share her gifts, and fight those who want to stop her.   Jane is an expert with edged weapons, which she tunes to her abilities with crystals generating soul piercing blades that allows her to see into her targets minds.  She carries a pair of mystic gun that she rarely uses that seem to always be at her side and guiding her towards the unknown.
#31 Edited by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice work  EGod, Decept-O and Dark Walker.... 

I noticed the ladies Combat Magicians are stepping in... cool :-)

#32 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark Walker:   Again I really like the colors you use, and I like the action pose for this one.   

@IcePrince_X:
Thanks,  it is appreciated.  Don't know if I will be able to submit a better and complete inked sketch,  but that's my intention.    

This was an interesting choice for a Contest.  I agree, a lot of us chose ladies for this one.  I get tired of drawing dudes all the time. Ha!

#33 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark Walker: Very nice. I like the runes and the dynamic pose.
#34 Posted by Dark Walker (477 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:
" @Dark Walker: Very nice. I like the runes and the dynamic pose. "
Some were strategically placed on purpose.  Can you tell which ones, lol. 
#35 Edited by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

I call her "Bellona V".  She uses a whip of discord, which was created from threads of the tunic from  the Greek goddess of the same name.  She uses it to ensnare violent spirits and dispense them into the nether.   

She also has a scrying eye which enables her to see such spirits and she also uses it when chasing and capturing them, it gives her heightened sight in the natural world as well.   

#36 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice bad-a$$ chick we got here. 
Great pose, Decept-O

#37 Edited by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio

This is now MY OFFICIAL ENTRY.

#38 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O:
wow, some of your best coloring yet. Nice touches throughout and great balance between the whites.
#39 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis:
Thank you, I appreciate it.
#40 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

I, like most other submitters had no clue what 'Combat Magician' meant before this. I have to admit though it sounded cool, and after trying to dig up any info I definitely will be checking out the books. Looks like a really awesome story concept, big thanks LT for turning this on to us. That being said, I had to wing it on storyline details and fitting it into that world. I also opted to go the chick route as it's always more fun doing girls :)

Here is Melissa (Missy) Tress, aka Ms. Tress. She could be compared to the 'Enchantress' in power & attitude, except her influence is magically based rather than being a goddess. She can influence male spirits, dead or alive, and is often called upon to extract information or sway unruly male agents to cooperate. She has a habit of having her own agendas however and because of her insatiable appetites she is only handled by female superiors resourceful enough to keep her in check and on track with their mission. She portrays herself as completely independent and uncommitted to her slaves, however, it's been hinted by some of her superiors that she is really a hopeless romantic and it's considered by them as her weakness. 

#41 Posted by Decept-O (7277 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis:
I like the costume design and  the colors.  Excellent.