Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Veshark
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Here's a drawing of Captain America, both pencils and inks. Pencils were done with 2B mechanical and HB regular pencils, and the inks were done with a 0.4 pigment ink pen. Frankly, I'm not overtly-satisfied with this drawing. While I liked how the shadows and the shield's glare turned out, I think the overall drawing is lacking something.

Still, feel free to leave comments and suggestions below!

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Raw_Material
Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

Brilliant artwork : )

CrashLanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CrashLanden

Great work, Veshark! Love the attention to detail on the 'scales'.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Top-notch work, @veshark. Not to offer useless praise alone, here are my criticisms: Cap's chest looks slightly out of proportion on the right side beneath the arm pit. A little too bloated, maybe? I feel like his clenched fist is facing a little too forward. The only other thing I'd really bother to mention would be his face beneath the mask-line. It's a little too busy, makes it hard to recognize.

CrashLanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrashLanden

@veshark: Don't listen to nitpickers like the one above offering 'constructive criticism'. They should draw one of their own first. Art is subjective. Just keep drawin'. Your Cap is every bit as good as this one:

No Caption Provided

And this was drawn by a 'professional', remember.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Don't listen to nitpickers like the one above offering 'constructive criticism'. They should draw one of their own first. Art is subjective. Just keep drawin'. Your Cap is every bit as good as this one:

No Caption Provided

And this was drawn by a 'professional', remember.

Hey, I'm the one who's supposed to bring this picture up! Actually, his is A LOT better than this one. People judge based on comic covers. If he was given the opportunity to draw a cover for Marvel, then I guarantee it would be every bit as good as every other professional cover.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reefermadness Thanks, bro!

@johnkmccubbin91 Thanks!

@end_boss Thanks for the pointers! I'm not sure what you mean about the chest near the right armpit though, does it look puffed up to you? Was it because of the shadows? I do agree with the face though, it was probably the aspect I was least satisfied with.

@crashlanden Many thanks. Haha, I'm not sure if the comparison to Rob Liebfeld is a compliment or not, but thanks anyways! And yeah, the individual scales were a pain in the arse to shadow.

@awesam Thanks for the kind words, bud.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

Awesome stuff

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

@veshark: Nice job on the shading with both the pencils and inks. It is often difficult to get shoulders right, I noticed they are just slightly askew on Cap's left side ( our right ). I would suggest buying either a stencil that has circles or a compass. I have a rough time getting circles laid out smoothly and find these work well with getting them done and done quickly.

Not being nit picky, just offering mild criticisms here because you asked. I usually don't say much because I am still struggling but you asked and these are minor things I noticed. You did a great job with cross hatching and providing value and shading. It is an awesome sketch of Captain America, and I like it!

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By End_Boss

@crashlanden:

@veshark: It may be because of the shadowing, yeah. I just gave it a second look and you might be right.

CrashLanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omega_ray_jay Thanks man!

@decept_o Ah, good eye. Yeah, I think the shadows and chain-mail covered that up, but if I look close, I see a little of jutting there. Thanks for the advice, I'll try looking out for it next time. Thanks for the compliments too!

CrashLanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do GIFs not work here or something? That's annoying. Egg on face... Anyway.

@veshark: It's a compliment, even if I like the Liefeld despite the posting. Otherwise I wouldn't have colored your Captain America.

No Caption Provided

Of course, this could be an insult, too, depending on what you think of the half arsed coloring job (I'm betting I know what one person thinks)... But it was a warmup to a warmup (seen here: http://crashlanden.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/terror-in-the-narcissus/ ) before I started drawing earlier.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Veshark

@crashlanden

Wow, g-damn that's pretty nice! Half-arsed or not, your coloring's miles ahead of what I've accomplished so far. I'm flattered.

Love the added shadow and the shield glare as well. Definitely saving this!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great job, I like the 1st one very much.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Decept-O

@veshark: No prob and thanks for letting me offering input. I mentioned the circle stencils for purposes of the shield, I should have specified, so my mistake.

CrashLanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Thanks! I probably was eating a little too much sugar yesterday, but I'm glad you liked it.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy Thanks, man!

@decept_o Yeah, I did that free-hand, so the end result is a little shabby for the shield.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: It still looks great! Don't get me wrong, I really like your job on the piece. I just have a time trying to draw circles free hand so I picked up a plastic stencil sheet with circles and it has helped me quite a bit. Funny how "simple" shapes can be the hardest to do.

Keep it up, man you did a great job.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#21 BumpyBoo  Moderator
Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#24 BumpyBoo  Moderator
Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

hey good stuff my friend! I am like you trying to get better to achieve something special one day. First thing I look for in a drawing is if the porportions are correct and basic anatomy is being addressed.

For the most part you have everything in the right spots and that in itself is half the battle. I would say more practice with the parts that feel off to me, like where your shoulders connect to the torso, your right glove and right foot.

But you cant get much better in the way you rendered the belt, the belt pouches and letting us know he is wear material other then spandex.

Good stuff here, would love to see more. Your figure seems a bit flat, but working on gestures will help as well as grabbing some anatomy references to help with making everything come together nicely.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfuzzynutz

Thanks for the constructive advice, I'll keep them in my mind. Yeah - the shoulder looks off, but thanks for the compliments on the materials. What do you mean when you say 'flat', though? Does Cap look too stilted?

Best of luck to your art as well! Feel free to check out my Ultimates drawing on my blog.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@veshark: yeah I should have used the word" stiff" but thankfully you did get my meaning. Believe me I am in the same boat as you just trying to improve with each drawing my friend.

CrashLanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CrashLanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers