• 51 results
#1 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Sam Keith's "The Maxx" is one of my all time favorite comics. It didn't run long and the ending of the story was a little out there, but it was a fun ride with some really neat artwork that was way outside the norm of it's time. Or any time. Keith is a madman when it comes to how he depicts comic book characters. So for this Battle Contest, how about The Maxx vs an opponent of your choosing.

Deadline: June 13th, midnight (central time) Resetting the deadline to Friday, June 15th at Midnight (central time)

Also, could someone tell me how you get a thread pinned here?

#2 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

could you pin this please :)

#3 Posted by The_Madness (98 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: Any opponent of my choosing?

#4 Posted by Icarusflies (12403 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh, sweet!

#5 Posted by feebadger (1405 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to really try and get something together for this one. I loooooove The Maxx.

#6 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Madness said:

@ZZoMBiE13: Any opponent of my choosing?

Yep. Anyone you want. Or any team you want. Or a galactic space weasel. Whatever strikes your fancy. Go nuts. God knows Keith did when he was creating the books, eh? :)

Just as an example, I plan to make Maxx fight Jason Voorhees. And I may throw Freddy in there too if the mood strikes.

#7 Posted by mfundo (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

What?

#8 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@mfundo said:

What?

Sorry I missed this, is there something I can do to help?

#9 Posted by mfundo (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: I've just never heard of the Maxx before

#10 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@mfundo said:

@ZZoMBiE13: I've just never heard of the Maxx before

Ahh. OK then.

Well the Maxx was one of the early Image Comics when that company was formed in the 90s. It's a bizarre little tale with some memorable artwork and some interesting characters. It's remembered by many because of it's appearance as an Mtv animated series alongside "The Head" and "Beavis and Butthead" and "Aeon Flux". You can find episodes out there on the web, but quality is spotty and the cartoon version ends in a much different way than the comic. Not bad, just different.

If you're interested in learning more, here's the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maxx

#11 Posted by mfundo (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: Oh okay thank you

#12 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@mfundo: Sure man. I should have realized how long ago The Maxx was popular. Lots of people have likely never heard of him.

#13 Posted by deadpool6_6_6 (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

Beautiful

#14 Posted by deadpool6_6_6 (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you sell those?

#15 Posted by mr_gone (195 posts) - - Show Bio

i can't draw at all but i love viewing the art on these forums, and let me just say i'm really excited to see what people come up with on this one! The maxx is one of my all time favorites and he never comes up here.

#16 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr_gone said:

i can't draw at all but i love viewing the art on these forums, and let me just say i'm really excited to see what people come up with on this one! The maxx is one of my all time favorites and he never comes up here.

#17 Posted by mr_gone (195 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: HAHA thanks

#18 Posted by Rusty_Irons (627 posts) - - Show Bio

Savage dragon.

#19 Posted by KEROGA (969 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@KEROGA:

Nice man, very nice.

Mines almost done too. Hope to have it up by tomorrow night.

#21 Posted by The_Madness (98 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta finish mine soon, that deadline is approaching and I've been dragging my ass. haha

#22 Edited by RamsIllustrations (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what I have so far but working this weekend. Will post the finished version in the next couple of days... I just realized its a battle contest, duuh! Weeeell he's stabbing the text logo... :P

#23 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Madness: I can push the deadline back a few days, I don't think anyone would mind.

#24 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@RamsIllustrations: Dangle a couple of teeth off the logo and we'll call it a squished Isz. ;)

#25 Posted by payno (958 posts) - - Show Bio

THE MAXX vs THE POWER PUFF GIRLS

#26 Posted by Rockfall (699 posts) - - Show Bio

The Maxx VS Kenny from South Park

#27 Posted by mr_gone (195 posts) - - Show Bio

@payno: That's awesome!! hahah

#28 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@payno said:

THE MAXX vs THE POWER PUFF GIRLS

Payno, you probably know I'm a fan. I like your work. But this, this is your best thing ever. I love this. And it's exactly what I was hoping for when I picked Maxx as the subject.

That's priceless. Poor Kenny! :)

#29 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

I've still got to add some shading and highlights, but it's pretty much there. The inking and base color turned out well enough so I wanted to go ahead show it off a little. Feels like I've been working on it for months.

Updated with color shading and background. And Isz. Not nearly enough Isz, but still. Isz.

#30 Posted by redscare (423 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: Lookin' good!

I started mine this morning and drew for like 5 hours. I'll have it posted Tuesday morning... coloring is gonna be a pain, so I'll probably post it in color and in black and white.

#31 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@redscare said:

@ZZoMBiE13: Lookin' good!

I started mine this morning and drew for like 5 hours. I'll have it posted Tuesday morning... coloring is gonna be a pain, so I'll probably post it in color and in black and white.

You're the second one to mention the deadline. I was afraid I set it too short when I made this (this was my first contest). I'll bump it back to Friday at Midnight (central time). Does that help?

#32 Posted by redscare (423 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: Thanks for the bump on the deadline... I got so far in on this one and the coloring is gonna be a monster task and I didn't want to rush it. Thanks!

#33 Posted by RamsIllustrations (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13:

Really cool stuff Bud! Jason is great!!!

#34 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@RamsIllustrations: Thanks. Jason is one of the 2 characters I'm kinda "known" for. Him and the Master Chief (used to do a Halo webcomic a few years back).

Jason is always fun to draw for me. Mostly because I've been a Friday the 13th fan for about 30 years now. :D

#35 Posted by The_Madness (98 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: Thanks for the deadline bump and mannnnnnnnn.... That Jason is awesome!!! Well the whole thing is awesome but especially the Jason!

#36 Posted by mr_gone (195 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: Hell yeah! awesome wild maxx

#37 Posted by The_Madness (98 posts) - - Show Bio

This is one I tried to bang out real quick today, so glad I noticed the deadline was pushed, now I can scrap this. :D

#38 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Madness: @mr_gone: Thanks you guys. :)

#39 Posted by payno (958 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr_gone:  Thanks.
@ZZoMBiE13: Glad you like it.
#40 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

@KEROGA said:

Cool! I really like your style of art.

#41 Posted by redscare (423 posts) - - Show Bio

It took me longer then expected (thanks again for the deadline bump @ZZoMBiE13) and I'm pretty sure I need to replace my son's Crayola marker set, but here it is...

#42 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@redscare: Oh very cool. And he's killing Spawn, which is a bonus!

#43 Edited by redscare (423 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13: Thanks. I came across an issue of Image United the other day and I figured that the only logical explanation for why the story was dropped is because Maxx killed everyone off panel... so I decided to draw the panel.

#44 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone interested in submitting, there's just a few hours left. Midnight (central time) .

#45 Edited by RamsIllustrations (1030 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by redscare (423 posts) - - Show Bio

@RamsIllustrations: Took me a minute... MJ Thanos strikes again!

#47 Posted by RamsIllustrations (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

@redscare said:

@RamsIllustrations: Took me a minute... MJ Thanos strikes again!

...and the Maxx won! :P

#48 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

@RamsIllustrations: lol, that's fantastic. :)

#49 Posted by RamsIllustrations (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@RamsIllustrations: lol, that's fantastic. :)

Thanks Man, I'm glad you liked the humor in it, couldn't resist...

#50 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Submissions are officially closed. Working on the voting thread now, should be up within the hour.