Posted by G-Man (29375 posts) - - Show Bio

We're approaching the end of the year but that doesn't mean the art has to stop. Each week we look around for the coolest comic book art that won't appear in comics. Artists often do sketches and commissions and post them on their websites, blogs and Tumblrs. You can sometimes even arrange commissions through their sites so be sure to check them out for more information.

The second issue of COMEBACK, the book from Image Michael Walsh is working on came out this past week. You should check it out. Here's some commissions Michael posted on his Tumblr.

== TEASER ==

Freddie E. Williams II posted a bunch of sketches on his Twit Pic page this week.

Todd Nauck posted a few different pieces on both his Tumblr and his Instagram. I love how he mixes his style on the different sketches.

It was a sad week since we saw the final issue of Rick Remender's UNCANNY X-FORCE. Phil Noto was on hand to provide the art and also posted this nice tribute piece on his Tumblr.

We'll have to wait until January 2 to see the next issue of TEEN TITANS with Brett Booth's art (you can see our exclusive preview HERE). Check out this sketch of Damian, Batman and Nightwing he posted on his blog.

Did you see Paolo Rivera's DAREDEVIL cover this week? You can see a behind-the-scenes look at the process on his blog. He also posted this Power Girl commission there.

Dustin Nguyen had another "digital first" issue of BATMAN: LI'L GOTHAM out this week. It's only 99 cents. You definitely should check it out. Take a look at the cover without the logo along with some cards and a hunger-induced sketch he posted on his Tumblr. California residents will recognize which fast food chain he had on his mind.

Denis Medri posted some more 'Rockabilly Batman' sketches and another Hobbit piece on his Deviant Art page.

Gene Gonzales has been posting "Conventionless Convention Sketches" on his blog. He's now on Twitter so you can find out if he does commissions through the internet.

Agnes Garbowska posted some more art on her Tumblr this week.

Robert Atkins posted a couple commissions he did recently on his blog. Check it out to find out more information if you're interested in getting one for yourself.

Mahmud Asrar's latest issue of SUPERGIRL came out this week as well. Here's a Superman and Superboy sketch he posted on his Tumblr.

Marcio Takara posted some more commissions on his Tumblr along with another 'tiny" hero pic of Magik.

Joel Gomez posted a sketch card of Wolverine in his X-Force costume on his Tumblr.

Peter Nguyen is digging the different students in WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN. He posted a quick head sketch of some of them on his Tumblr.

Chris Giarrusso posted a sketch cover of Wasp on his website along with a Mini-Marvel Spider-Man sketch that was up for auction to benefit Hurricane Sandy relief.

Mike McKone posted a few sketches on his Twit Pic page. It's a great variety of characters.

Check out the commissions Philip Tan posted on his Facebook page.

That's it for this week. I can't say if there will be another installment next week. It'll depend on whether or not the artists keep working this final week or if they plan on taking some time off. If there's art I can find, I will indeed post it!

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Inverno (12821 posts) - - Show Bio

Dat Power Girl.

#2 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Oo, that is a good Power Girl. I also like Noto's Uncanny X-Force team portrait, and Harley.

#3 Posted by Trodorne (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the sorceress. The He-man and the masters of the universe #5 makes this art more interesting after what happened to her in that issue.

#4 Posted by dondave (26479 posts) - - Show Bio

Freddiw Williams is stepping up, great commisions by Phillip tan

#5 Posted by Death_By_Smoke (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the new 52 joker pic and all of Freddie Williams stuff. Great collection and am happy to see Taskmaster getting some sketch love. And I agree that the Harley pic is awesome.

#6 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1747 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the coolest women EVER!!

#7 Posted by starrk_coyote (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

who is she? :)

#8 Edited by iaconpoint (866 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it amazing that when most people drawl Power Girl they draw her pre- New 52 costume rather than her "wonderful" new costume.

Lots of great stuff this week.

#9 Posted by JoeEddie (481 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is that devil character?

#10 Posted by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

That Joker one is too good!

#11 Posted by Big_Nasty (338 posts) - - Show Bio

This week went big on the Bat-family.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27233 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie: Lord of Darkness from the film Legends

#13 Posted by sinestro_GL (3003 posts) - - Show Bio

TO be honest...I'm not a fan of the rockibility Batman

#14 Edited by Icon (2044 posts) - - Show Bio

@starrk_coyote said:

@Miss_Garrick said:

The Sorceress, from Masters of the Universe.

#15 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

These art picks are awesome!

#16 Posted by Cavemold (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

Harley QUINN like the she suppose to be

#17 Posted by sturmritter (56 posts) - - Show Bio

All I can say is the week: Wow! It's all good!

#18 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

That Mike McKone are Paolo Rivera have awesome stuff as always!

#19 Posted by starrk_coyote (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icon said:

@starrk_coyote said:

@Miss_Garrick said:

The Sorceress, from Masters of the Universe.

#20 Posted by Icon (2044 posts) - - Show Bio

@starrk_coyote: Your welcome. :)

#21 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

Both Walsh's Joker and McKone's Darkseid are the shit.

#22 Posted by danhimself (21898 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaconpoint said:

I find it amazing that when most people drawl Power Girl they draw her pre- New 52 costume rather than her "wonderful" new costume.

I was thinking just about the same thing...week after week we get artists who continually draw the pre-Flashpoint characters over the new 52 versions...look at all the Stephanie Brown pics we get in these articles

#23 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie: most likely the devil from 'legends' starring tom cruise

#24 Posted by jcj145 (183 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to be a scrooge so close to Christmas, but this "Awesome Art Picks" stuff is beginning to bug me. It seems like multiple entries from the SAME artists EVERY week. Its boring, and if I all I wanted to see was Phil Noto or Chris Giarrusso's work then I could just do a Google search for them.

#25 Posted by Darkmount1 (1261 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, regarding Dustin Nguyen's In-N-Out Burger doodle--THAT, my friends, is an example of an artist with good taste.

#26 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkness from film Legend, I called him satan instead.

#27 Posted by c2thaj (51 posts) - - Show Bio

In-n-out Burger FTW!

#28 Posted by CommanderZx2 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@iaconpoint said:

I was thinking just about the same thing...week after week we get artists who continually draw the pre-Flashpoint characters over the new 52 versions...look at all the Stephanie Brown pics we get in these articles

The pre-new 52 costumes are iconic while the new 52 costumes are mostly terrible.

#29 Posted by G-Man (29375 posts) - - Show Bio

@jcj145: Then don't check it out? Strange that you mention Noto since this is like the second week in a row after a month or two of not posting anything from him. Yes I do use the same artists because I know they post new art each week. I've asked in the past for other artists that update their blogs that I might be missing. You might not like this post but it gets more views on a Saturday than some other posts get in an entire week. The numbers and majority of the comments tell me people are digging them. Also keep in mind, I've seen other similar posts pop up on other sites and they only post like ten pics total. This post takes a long time to gather and add to the site.

Staff Online
#30 Posted by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster and The Red hood.

#31 Posted by MSBoyd23 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: PLEASE don't stop doing these. I visit Garbowska's, Pichelli's, Noto's, and Takara's websites almost daily because of Awesome Art Picks. I don't believe I'm the only person that this holds true for, either. Thanks for taking the time to find these art pieces for us!

#32 Posted by G-Man (29375 posts) - - Show Bio

@MSBoyd23: Oh believe me, I don't plan on stopping. Again, the numbers blow me away each week. People love looking at these and I love 'finding' them each week. They are great because we get to see different interpretations of different characters. I just don't understand the need to complain and be negative. There's too much of that in the world. Seeing great art should be a joy. So I'm glad you and others are enjoying checking these all out. They blow me away and I love seeing the latest they post each time.

Staff Online
#33 Posted by kid Apollo (697 posts) - - Show Bio

i love that Taskmaster and the stuff from the old school Harley Quinn.

i feel like i say this too much but Brett Booth kills it. hes one of the people i look forward to the most when these thing come out

#34 Posted by Grey56 (681 posts) - - Show Bio

Williams' Taskmaster and Tan's close-up of Batman take it for this dude.

#35 Posted by iaconpoint (866 posts) - - Show Bio

@CommanderZx2 said:

@danhimself said:

@iaconpoint said:

The pre-new 52 costumes are iconic while the new 52 costumes are mostly terrible.

Yeah, even the ones that look good like Batman are messed up story-wise. So that't the only costume Bruce has worn the entire time he's been Batman? What about the iconic blue cowl with yellow oval? The all black with yellow oval? The original Kane version or the Year One Miller version? His costume should change as much as Iron Man's armour. More missed opportunity though. It's just small people in charge trying to leave their mark and failing badly.

#36 Posted by crazyflashfan11 (182 posts) - - Show Bio
Both of these are simply fantastic.
#37 Posted by crazyflashfan11 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@MSBoyd23: Oh believe me, I don't plan on stopping. Again, the numbers blow me away each week. People love looking at these and I love 'finding' them each week. They are great because we get to see different interpretations of different characters. I just don't understand the need to complain and be negative. There's too much of that in the world. Seeing great art should be a joy. So I'm glad you and others are enjoying checking these all out. They blow me away and I love seeing the latest they post each time.

@MSBoyd23

said:

@G-Man: PLEASE don't stop doing these. I visit Garbowska's, Pichelli's, Noto's, and Takara's websites almost daily because of Awesome Art Picks. I don't believe I'm the only person that this holds true for, either. Thanks for taking the time to find these art pieces for us!

Yes. Your efforts are most certainly not in vain at all. I love these every single week and I wish that they are featured more often.

#38 Posted by Xwraith (10814 posts) - - Show Bio

When I saw the Noto X-Force portrait, I knew what my new iPod wallpaper was going to be.

#39 Posted by Journey Into Chaos (313 posts) - - Show Bio

cool, pics G-man!

#40 Posted by Sckill3rs (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@starrk_coyote: Awesome Awesome.!!!

#41 Posted by Pokeysteve (7000 posts) - - Show Bio

Put the good stuff at the top this week. Why hasn't Freddie Williams been snatched up for a title yet!? Even quick sketches from him would be better than some of this finished stuff.

Nice to see Phillip Tan's stuff too.

#42 Posted by comicace3 (1833 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the pic where batman is beat up by killer croc is BOSS.

#43 Posted by Bluefox170 (377 posts) - - Show Bio

That Taskmaster.

#44 Posted by nikh98 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome

#45 Posted by red_rover (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for posting G-man.

#46 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome as always!

#47 Posted by KnightofSteel (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving those Freddie Williams' sketches, DC...get that guy on a bat-book!

#48 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Gene Gonzales' Catwoman and Barda FTW for me!

#49 Posted by Dead_pool13 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

All great pictures and I liked the Uncanny X-Force picture.