• 52 results
Posted by G-Man (37631 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we gather up the coolest comic book art that won't be appearing in actual comics. The reason they won't is because artists often do sketches for fun and commissions. They graciously share them by posting on their blogs, Tumblrs and Twitter accounts. They are way too cool to be overlooked.

It's hard to believe next week is San Diego Comic-Con so hopefully we'll be seeing lots of sketches in the coming weeks.

Denis Medri has posted some cool new interpretations of familiar characters in the past. This week he posted some steampunk Spider-Man sketches on his Deviant Art page.

== TEASER ==

Gabriel Hardman will only be at SDCC on Saturday. He'll be on a couple panels (you can find more information here) so be on the look out if you want to catch up with him. Here's a couple sketches he posted on his blog this week.

Chris Giarrusso will also be at SDCC. Chris is a great guy to meet so be sure to stop by and check out his sketches. Here's some he posted this week on his site along with another Tribute Tuesday.

Peter Nguyen is planning on being there also. He posted this sketch of a bunch of Robins on this Tumblr. The finished version should be available next week.

Agnes Garbowska will be at SDCC. Check out these recent commissions she posted on her Tumblr.

I found out yesterday that Skottie Young will not be able to attend SDCC this year. That's a bummer but he's a crazy busy guy. (I mean he's really busy not actually crazy). He did manage to post some Daily Sketches on his site this week.

Dustin Nguyen is another busy guy. He will be at SDCC and posted his schedule on his Tumblr, along with these recent sketches.

Francis Manapul is another guy that will be hard to find at SDCC as he's likely to be running around all over the place. A few weeks ago he posted a look at his Batman piece for a CBLDF auction. You can find out more information here. Check out the version he just posted on his Tumblr this week.

Here's a nice pic of Thor Francesco Francavilla posted this week. I actually saw Thor last night at Movies in the Park.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more Spider-Man this week. Here's a commission from last year Paolo Rivera posted on his blog this week.

Mitch Breitweiser has a Captain America print up on ebay including an extra sketch on the print. There's still time to bid on it.

Another week in the New 52 and still no Stephanie Brown. At least Cameron Stewart posted a sketch of her on Instagram this week.

Mike Mayhew posted a commission of Spawn on Twitter this week. It's surprising we don't see more Spawn.

Gene Gonzales is working on a Mary Marvel sketch (wonder what she'll look like in the New 52). It's a work in progress but looks pretty good so far. He also posted a sketch of Death of the Endless on his blog.

Joe Quinones posted a couple commissions from recent conventions on his Tumblr. You can't go wrong with Batman or Mysterio.

Sean "Cheeks" Galloway posted this cool picture of Superman on his Tumblr this week. And check out his rendition of Wonder Woman from last month.

That's it for this week. I'm not sure if we'll be seeing an installment next week since we'll be at SDCC. But as a tease, I have already started talking to artists about doing another Mystery Art Challenge video (including some seen above). I have a character in mind (which I can't reveal to give them a heads up). I just need to pick the random object to go along with the character. If you're at SDCC, be sure to say hello.

#1 Posted by retrovolver (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Love me some Skottie Young.

#2 Posted by jwalser3 (5255 posts) - - Show Bio

That steam punk was my favorite.

#3 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (533 posts) - - Show Bio

That picture of Death is so boss. I love all those little gadgets and weapons she collected, and little hidden Captain America's shield, Mjoilnir, and a (not so hidden) Iron Man mk 1 armor helmet. I love that bowl of Green Lantern rings she has. XD

#4 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

barn boy and big knockers ww. that is all

#5 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2296 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE this stuff:

Denis Medri has posted some cool new interpretations of familiar characters in the past. This week he posted some steampunk Spider-Man sketches on his Deviant Art page.

I especially love Green Goblin, sort of want to see him look like that in the comics.

#6 Posted by longbowhunter (7466 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh God I love Gabriel Hardman and Animal Man. I do anything to own that sketch. Really like the Peter Nguyen Robins pic too. His stuff on here has been catching my eye lately.

#7 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14430 posts) - - Show Bio

Steampunk Spiderman stuff was great

#8 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually despise Spider-Man...But a steampunk Spider-Man series would RULE!!!

#9 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

A 19 century spider man would be a must buy

#10 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

The Steampunk Spider-Man sketches, that Thor piece and the Superman one are my favourites. Brilliant art this week.

#11 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

Nguyen's Nightwing for me is exceptional. And Manapul's Batman is equally excellent.

#12 Posted by Planewalker (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I REALLY REALLY HATE that chibi animated type crap...

#13 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15110 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem said:

Nguyen's Nightwing for me is exceptional. And Manapul's Batman is equally excellent.

and also Dustin Nguyen's Joker and Harley was amazing

@Planewalker said:

Man I REALLY REALLY HATE that chibi animated type crap...

who doesn't?

#14 Posted by pikahyper (12617 posts) - - Show Bio

Those Denis Medri pieces are awesome. Tank Girl yay !!! Galloway's Wonder Woman is pretty epic O.O

#15 Posted by CaptainMexico (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice Batman pics. The Spiderman ones are good too.

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (58263 posts) - - Show Bio

All around awesome work. Buddy, Hellboy and Mary but Tank Girl <3
BB

#17 Posted by Aph8825 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

"Colonial" spider-man & villians are awesome!

#18 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

Steampunk Spiderman = awesome.

#19 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all too good to pick a favorite this week!

#20 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3617 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aph8825 said:

"Colonial" spider-man & villians are awesome!

Yeah, those are pretty cool! Technically, the genre they were inspired by is called 'steampunk', not 'colonial'.

#21 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a lot to like this week. Highlights for me are:

• Adventure Time / Batman mashup
  • Collected Robins (including Steph)
  • Steph as Batgirl
  • Galloway's incredibly cheerful Superman
#22 Posted by feargalr (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

Steampunk spidey is amazing

#23 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Adventure Time Batman FTW!

#24 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2297 posts) - - Show Bio

DEAR SWEET LORD THAT STEAMPUNK SPIDER-MAN NEEDS TO BE A THING.

#25 Posted by sora_thekey (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

That Nightwing/Robins piece that Peter Nguyen is working on will turn out to be AWESOME! I want one! Also, Dustin's Harley and Joker one is one of my favorites...

#26 Posted by Gotham331 (204 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the art! There's some real talent out there

#27 Posted by fables87 (1057 posts) - - Show Bio

DEATH!

#28 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

The last two (superman and wonder woman ) were awesome. Really like the Steampunk Goblin too. Very great!

#29 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7949 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Stuff :)

#30 Posted by ARMIV2 (8801 posts) - - Show Bio

Love 'em all!

#31 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

That Mysterio pic looks like a LITTLE like Mr. Freeze...

#32 Posted by Dunners (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Love to see Spider-Man In a Captain America suit made by Tony Stark and he use's his web to make the shield. If any artist see's this comment I hope they actually try this. :)

#33 Posted by Sleepbutnodream15 (570 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the f*ck is steam-punk a "thing"

#34 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

FM's Batman picture is absolutely terrific artwork

#35 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Spawn and last Superman looks awesome

Oh my lord...... ROFL
#36 Posted by Kilgore (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordRequiem said:

Word.

#37 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2186 posts) - - Show Bio

This is One of the reasons why I wake up early on a saturday morning.

#38 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Bedanzilla (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Really loved the Tetsuo sketch, Very nice work

#40 Posted by Grey56 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

How 'bout that Mike Zeck work ? Miss that man.

#41 Posted by Grey56 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: This - but perhaps phrased more politely. Either way - they look sharp. Or round. One gets the idea.

#42 Posted by dcfox (162 posts) - - Show Bio

Adventure Time Batman is the greatest thing ever.

#43 Posted by PaperDemon (617 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Nguyen needs to be an illustrator for more comics. His art is spectacular.

#44 Posted by JamDamage (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

TETSUO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#45 Posted by Shadowsnake89 (415 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool steampunk Spider-man pictures.

#46 Posted by lololoki (28 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome!! :D

#47 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Skottie Young and Dustin Nguyen's Adventure Time Batman is Algebraic!!!

#48 Posted by brigniewski (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the vintage/colonial Spiderman sketches.

#49 Posted by sentryman555 (803 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamDamage said:

TETSUO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I recognized that Skottie Young pic from somewhere! AKIRA! Awesome.

#50 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of kickass art!