• 64 results
Posted by G-Man (35047 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we gather up all the cool comic book art by the professionals that won't be appearing in comic books. The reason they won't is because artists often do sketches for fun or commissions at convention and post them on their websites, blogs, Tumblrs or Twitter pages. Some artists even offer commissions through their sites. These drawings are too good not to be seen by everyone.

Denis Medri has been doing quite a bit of re-imagining. We've seen his steampunk versions of characters and last week saw Western versions of the Justice League. This week he posted a couple more steampunk Spider-Man pics on his Deviant Art page but also did something a little different. Check out his "Star Wars 80s High School Re-Designs."

== TEASER ==

Philip Tan posted some more sketches on his Facebook.

Chris Burnham is at Wizard World Chicago this weekend. Make sure you find him if you're there. Check out these sketches he's done there already and posted on his Twitter.

Robert Atkins also posted a sketch of Iron Fist that was colored by Simon Gough. Check out both versions. Which color do you like better for his costume? Robert also posted a nice sketch of Taskmaster on his blog.

Craig Cermak posted his version of Batman and Robin on his Tumblr.

Chris Giarrusso posted a pic of Batman as well along with another Tribute Tuesday for AVENGERS VS. X-MEN on his website.

Ben Templesmith has been posting some sketches on his Instagram.

Ramon Perez finally got around to finishing an Archie pic he started a couple years ago. He mentioned on his Tumblr how difficult it was to come back and not make all the changes he wanted to. He's hoping to color it someday.

Gene Gonzales posted a pic of Riddler as well as a work in progress of Sue and Ralph Dibny on his blog.

Daniel HDR is taken commissions for NYCC. You can read about that on his blog here on Comic Vine. Here's a couple examples from his Instagram.

Todd Nauck posted some more iPad drawings on his Tumblr using Sketchbook Pro and Paper53.

Have you been checking out Mahmud Asrar's work on SUPERGIRL? He's been posting some sketches on his Instagram.

How about some Legend of Zelda art? Here's one Agnes Garbowska posted on her Tumblr.

Dustin Nguyen also posted a pic of Link on his Tumblr.

With all the talk about Avengers 2, I wonder if we'll ever see Beta Ray Bill on the big screen? Here's a pic Mike McKone posted on his TwitPic page.

Michael Walsh posted this commission of Karate Kid vs. Midnight Sun on his Tumblr.

Hopefully we'll be seeing Black Widow in Avengers 2. Peter Nguyen posted this sketch of her on his Tumblr this week.

Freddie Williams II posed a couple nice Avengers-related sketches as well on his TwitPic page.

Ryan Stegman is also at Wizard World. Check out these sketches he posted on his Tumblr. Hopefully you picked up his first issue of FANTASTIC FOUR this week.

Marcio Takara posted a Catwoman commission on his Tumblr as well as a colored version of three DC ladies we posted here last week.

That's it for this week. Hopefully we'll be seeing some more sketches come out of Wizard World which I'll post next week if I come across any.

Tony Guerrero is the Editor-in-Chief of Comic Vine. You can follow him on Twitter @GManFromHeck. He'd like to see more characters drawn in the '80s High School' way.

Staff
#1 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

dat woman woman

#2 Posted by longbowhunter (7128 posts) - - Show Bio

The Philip Tan stuff this week is great. Especially his Joker. Ever since Officer Downe, Chris Burnham has been one of my favorite artists. I'd like to see him featured more from week to week.

#3 Posted by BlackPookie (640 posts) - - Show Bio

that Dr Strange!!! Gorgeous!!!!!!

#4 Posted by Mad_Wolverine (228 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that Catwoman. MEOW!

#5 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Burnham work is my favorite here, but everything looks fantastic.

#6 Posted by gunmetalgrey (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously green would go better with that classic look, but it seems like the wrong shade/hue of green for Iron Fist.

#7 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackPookie said:

that Dr Strange!!! Gorgeous!!!!!!

Agreed as was the Wonder Woman

#8 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1334 posts) - - Show Bio

Great stuff as always.

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (84368 posts) - - Show Bio

Great art! Especially the Phillip Tan stuff.

#10 Posted by Pwok21 (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

Classic Look for Danny: Green.

Current Costume? White. most definitely.

Love the Doc Strange, Thor and the Steampunk stuff.

#11 Posted by UnderDogs_OverBoard (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

is it just me or I dont like Todd Nauck's drawings that much...

#12 Posted by CitizenJP (598 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG THIS

#13 Posted by p_rixx (23 posts) - - Show Bio
that one reminds me of Norman rockwell's Soda Jerk 
#14 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Denis Medri Shot first, he keeps getting better and better every week

#15 Edited by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

There was some awesome work this week. I really liked Philip Tan's stuff and I loved some of the other artists. More Iron Fist and Beta Ray Bill!

Luke is SO adorable!! I could totally believe he would dress as Marty McFly, and Lando was PERFECT!!

Challenge to Denis Medri! Draw Star Wars, Legion of Super-Heroes, and X-Men in 1930's Flash Gordon space style!

#16 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

You forgot this Denis M. Artwork

Yoda & Obi Wan
#17 Posted by Big_Nasty (343 posts) - - Show Bio

Cant go wrong with Yoda .

#18 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

These are some of the best I've seen! Thank you.

#19 Posted by galactusx (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the Philip Tan wolverine and yoda.

#20 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

this is my fave

#21 Posted by Inverno (13246 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

dat woman woman

This and also the High School Star Wars

#22 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Philip Tan did an awesome job! I am really envious of his artwork

#23 Posted by crazyflashfan11 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the steampunk versions are kinda growing on me.

#24 Posted by G-Man (35047 posts) - - Show Bio

@KRYPTON : Denis added that to his Deviant Art page after I had gathered the others. I added it now. Thanks.

Staff
#25 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7841 posts) - - Show Bio

So much great stuff it's hard to pick just a few out!

#26 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Guhhreat

#27 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

Really like Denis Medri's take on a lot of characters and themes and that Mysterio is the best "alternate reality" piece for me!

Holy Pepperoni! The Taskmaster sketch is more than just a sketch, it is a piece of art! Incredible job by Robert Atkins.

#28 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough to pick a favorite this week. Gonna have to go with the Star Wars biker gang, with the Batgirl/Supergirl/Wondergirl a close second.

#29 Posted by sinestro_GL (3177 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of Batman = Lots of win

Also, I really like the Archie pic :D

#30 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@KRYPTON : Denis added that to his Deviant Art page after I had gathered the others. I added it now. Thanks.

No problem, glad I could help. Your welcome.

#31 Posted by Wolverine0628 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like those steampunk pics from Medri, but I love that Catwoman picture from Takara.
#32 Posted by Grey56 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: Tony, who is that standing next to Lando ?

#33 Posted by kadosho_16bit (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Retro, and current goodies, excellent collection this weekend! =D

#34 Edited by hyenascar (194 posts) - - Show Bio

Takara, very intriguing art

Secondly, Dazzler. I dare some writer to make her awesome, Walking around with a guitar does not sound like what i mean either.

#35 Posted by GWHH (576 posts) - - Show Bio

great stuff

#36 Posted by EvanTheMexiJew (99 posts) - - Show Bio

The 80's Star Wars are awesome! I also like Philip Tan's Joker and Takara's Carwoman.

#37 Posted by B_Heart (152 posts) - - Show Bio

That Wonder Woman is great

#38 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the 80s movie Star Wars stuff. I would actually like to see that get made.

And I think since the New 52 is rebooting so much, lest reboot Elongated Man and Sue. Bring them back, alive, happily married, and cool again.

Here is some stuff I got at the Comic Con 2012: Needham Comics (my character) Monkey Boy by Mike McKone and Erik Larsen.

#39 Posted by ARMIV2 (8590 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, oh man! Too much awesome work! 'Specially the stuff from Atkins.

#40 Posted by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

stegman!!! awesomeness

#41 Posted by hazmat103 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

really digging Taskmaster and Doc Strange art.

#42 Posted by kartron (420 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

dat woman woman

ye said it!

#43 Posted by Blackwing15 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

This art really well-done

#44 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18191 posts) - - Show Bio

Some great and interesting artwork there.

#45 Posted by ldg220 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

One question....Who is that supposed to be next to 80's Lando?

#46 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5446 posts) - - Show Bio
@p_rixx said:
that one reminds me of Norman rockwell's Soda Jerk 
Jughead reminds me of Shaggy 
#47 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

@ldg220 said:

One question....Who is that supposed to be next to 80's Lando?

If you head to his Deviant Art page t says that it's Greedo. There's also a cool Nerdroids drawing there too.

#48 Posted by Knight_Justice (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Love that Wonder Woman! ^^

#49 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Great art! Especially the Phillip Tan stuff.

#50 Posted by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it!