Posted by G-Man (35119 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we search for cool comic art that won't appear in comics. The reason they won't appear in actual comics is because artists often post sketches and commissions on their websites, blogs and Tumblrs. They're too cool to be missed. A lot of these artists even arrange commissions through their websites so be sure to check them out for more information. If you're aware of any comic artists' blogs that we're missing out on, be sure to let me know.

Being a holiday week, you can imagine that the amount of art posted isn't as much as usual. We did still find some really great pieces this week.

Brett Booth has a new issue of TEEN TITANS coming out this week. Check out the sketches he posted on his blog.

Marcio Takara posted some more commissions and 'tiny heroes' on his Tumblr. You can see the Spider-Man piece is just in the pencil stage. It's great seeing the progression. I assume he'll post the final version later.

Paolo Rivera's blog is always full of great stuff. He posts a lot of the process of his art. Here's a commission he posted along with a look at the pencils for his incredible cover for this week's AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #15.1.

Gene Gonzales posts his "Conventionless Convention Sketches" on his blog. Check it out for more information on how you can contact him for your own.

I'm not sure what to expect with the new NOVA series coming. Sam Alexander is a bit annoying in the Ultimate Spider-Man animated series. Still, it's a cool design as you can see from the character study Todd Nauck posted on his Instagram.

Chris Giarrusso posted some of his past holiday post cards on his website. He even sent me a personal one, "From one G-Man to another." And check out his Human Torch cover and Sparky commission.

Mahmud Asrar posted this Rei Ayanami (from NEO GENESIS EVANGELION) sketch on his Tumblr.

Denis Medri posted a Deadpool redesign and another Hobbit sketch on his Deviant Art page this week.

Ron Salas posted this great Milo Garret (from 100 BULLETS) piece on his site. I really should go back and read that entire series.

Milo by Ron Salas

J. Scott Campbell did some pieces for a "Good vs. Evil" exhibit at Downtown Disneyland WonderGround Gallery and posted them on his Deviant Art page. You can find out more about the gallery HERE.

Agnes Garbowska posted another commission she did at NYCC on her Tumblr.

Philip Tan posted some more great sketches on his Facebook page this week.

This last one sort of stretches our rules. Here's the logo-free look at this coming week's BATMAN: LI'L GOTHAM New Years' issue Dustin Nguyen posted on his Tumblr.

That's it for this week and this year. Happy New Year to everyone. Here's to another great year of Awesome Art.

Staff
#1 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

so much awesomeness!!!

#2 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

todd nauck stop making me like characters i hate re..............................sist?

#3 Posted by QuantomMan (216 posts) - - Show Bio

Another great selection Tony! I don't know how Brett Booth has time for these great drawings

#4 Posted by longbowhunter (7129 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw the Hobbit this past Wednesday. Really like the Denis Medri pic of the trolls.

#5 Posted by dondave (38007 posts) - - Show Bio

Brett Booth is just amazing

#6 Posted by RustyRoy (12812 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Posted by randalmeister (84 posts) - - Show Bio

Another great round-up! I particularly love the Brett Booth and Philip Tan pieces.

#8 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

yhat deadpool needs some sort one shot

#9 Posted by Squalleon (4626 posts) - - Show Bio

Great!!

#10 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1334 posts) - - Show Bio

That J. Scott Campbell art is awesome.

#11 Edited by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do people feel the need to repost half the pics in the comments section? Too much clutter.

It's good to see people still drawing Stephanie Brown despite that misogynist Dan Didio trying to erase her and other females from continuity.

#12 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14747 posts) - - Show Bio

Dat Deadpool

#13 Posted by Big_Nasty (343 posts) - - Show Bio

There is never a dull moment when the whole bat family is together .

#14 Posted by sourcebreaker (39 posts) - - Show Bio

ha! love the alfred/santa cameo in the Brett Booth bat family pic.

#15 Posted by DocFishstick (241 posts) - - Show Bio

the nightwing one by brett was great

#16 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Love this feature, it never disappoints.

#17 Posted by danhimself (22586 posts) - - Show Bio

that Spider-man redesign by Brett Booth is awesome!!!

#18 Posted by Billy Batson (58070 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw the Milo piece at the time he posted. It's the best thing that's been posted here.
BB

#19 Posted by Twoface777 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this one by Brett Booth, I just wish it could be in color.

#20 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my GOSH, there are some great artworks here! I'll have to shw my sister the Disney pieces real soon, as she is a huge Disney princess fan.

ALSO

I want a better view of the Marvel and Image Charlie Brown dancing artworks!!! They look awesome!!

#21 Edited by G-Man (35119 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#22 Posted by kid Apollo (714 posts) - - Show Bio

yah im loving the Bat family by Brett Booth and Chris Giarrusso's Marvel/Charlie Brown chritsmas

#23 Edited by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything here is incredible. Really don't dislike any piece at all. Not that I ever do really but this week, just all of the work is astounding. Glad to see J. Scott Campbell's work. I think that Black Bolt pencil by Tan is the best one I've ever seen rendered by anyone. Just...WOW!

Just so much awesomeness by all the artists.

#24 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5446 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Cambell's Good vs. Evil pics. And the holiday kiddies :)

#25 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2261 posts) - - Show Bio

SPOILER BLOCK AND SPOILER buttons are not working for me at all. They just delete my message. So warning! SPOILER images ahead! If you haven't read Amazing Spider-Man 700 don't look at these images! I repeate, SPOILER IMAGES AHEAD! I cannot hide them in spoiler no matter how hard I try or how many times. SPIDER-MAN 700 SPOILER IMAGES in this post!

SPOILERS: Marked these images as spoilers in case you guys haven't read Amazing Spider-Man #700 yet.Here are some of the variations Rivera did on his cover. My favorite is the one with Ock under the heavy machine while the building is flooding. (variation on that Ditko story).

I also love this cover by Ramos

SPOILER BLOCK AND SPOILER buttons are not working for me at all. They just delete my message. So warning! SPOILER images ahead! If you haven't read Amazing Spider-Man 700 don't look at these images! I repeate, SPOILER IMAGES AHEAD! I cannot hide them in spoiler no matter how hard I try or how many times. SPIDER-MAN 700 SPOILER IMAGES in this post!

#26 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Omg is that baby Waller?

#27 Posted by TheHeat (451 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Booth's art, but why does he always draw big ugly noses? And I love all the Spidey and J. Scott art.

#28 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (7027 posts) - - Show Bio

my favorite

#29 Posted by huser (97 posts) - - Show Bio

@Big_Nasty said:

There is never a dull moment when the whole bat family is together .

I like the Huntress hiding off to the side

#30 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG the Disney pics are incredibly awesome!!

#31 Posted by Firestormblaze (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Beautiful. Just Beautiful. If only it was in color.

#32 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: Gee, thanks mister!

#33 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

That Takara piece of a Batman/Spider-Man team up makes me kind of wish that DC would pull a Buried Alien.

#34 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, funny. The majority of the DC characters in this weeks art picks are actually in their New 52 costumes. I remember last week someone pointed out that artists usually choose to draw the pre-Flashpoint costumes, but here it looks like a complete 180 has been done on their preferences.

#35 Posted by KnightofSteel (257 posts) - - Show Bio

Brett Booth's art... awesome.

#36 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

J. Scott Campbell's Disney pieces are totally awesome! Saw them earlier this week and they are GREAT! :)

#37 Posted by Mister_Sensational (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman looks like he's flying in that one with Spiderman. The Bret Booth stuff looks awesome.

#38 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (720 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the best piece of art I've ever seen in this feature. Bar none.

#39 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm starting to like Marcio Takara's drawings less and less, because of some of the weird ways he positions characters. For example, why is Batman flying behind Spider-Man?

#40 Posted by Grey56 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

Booth's Bat Family is easily the most complex and well expressed piece.

#41 Posted by TheRyanHimself (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I sure do love Alfred's Santa hat.

#42 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

Philip Tan never ceases to amaze me. That Spiderman and Black Bolt are awesome

#43 Posted by batkevin74 (10873 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man: WOW!!!