• 50 results
Posted by G-Man (36788 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we search for the coolest comic book art that you won't see in actual comics. The reason you won't is because artists often draw sketches for fun or commissions and post them on their websites, blogs, and Tumblrs. Some artists even arrange commissions through their sites so be sure to check them out.

Paolo Rivera attended a couple conventions recently and posted this "war-worn general" Magneto commission on his blog.

Gabriel Hardman is getting ready for Emerald City Comic Con and posted this Superman sketch on his blog.

Philip Tan posted some more great sketches on his Facebook page.

Sometimes we make tiny exceptions to our rules. Here's a look at Francis Manapul's cover to DETECTIVE COMICS #32. You can see his step-by-step process on his Tumblr along with the final version.

Ray-Anthony Height posted this "Munday Masterpiece" (Mundane Monday) on his Tumblr this week.

Skottie Young was busy at Planet Comicon and posted more commissions on his Tumblr.

Mike McKone posted a Diamondback commission from Middle Georgia Con on his Twitter page. Where has she been lately?

Mahmud Asrar posted another pre-show commission on his Tumblr.

Here's another exception. Check out Ryan Ottley's pencils for the INVINCIBLE #111 variant, posted on his Tumblr.

Rod Reis posted a couple amazing digital sketches plus a Sandman water color pic on his Tumblr.

Todd Nauck is in X-Men mode and posted Wolverine and Nightcrawler sketches on his Tumblr. Also, check out his Usagi Yojimbo piece that was posted a few weeks ago, now up for bidding on eBay. It goes to help out Stan Sakai.

Peter Nguyen has been switching costumes and color schemes for different pairs of X-Men. Check out the latest posted on his Tumblr.

Francesco Francavilla posted a Mr. Incredible sketch on his Tumblr to celebrate the announcement over a sequel finally happening.

Chris Giarrusso posted this Mini-Galactus sketch on his website. Imagine if this version ventured into the Ultimate Universe.

Joel Gomez posted a few sketches on his Tumblr this week.

Denis Medri is celebrating Hellboy's twentieth birthday and posted this sketch on his Deviant Art Page.

Marcio Takara posted this Nightwing sketch on his Tumblr.

Freddie Williams II posted several sketches on his Twit Pic page. I especially like the Blue Lantern Robin.

That's it for this week. Next weekend is Emerald City. I'll try to post the regular selections but I'll also be busy working on getting another round of the Mystery Art Challenge.

#1 Posted by dngn4774 (3222 posts) - - Show Bio

Many more cooler ones than last week's. The Flash, Bane and Diamondback came out really well.

#2 Posted by thenexusrebound (248 posts) - - Show Bio

I was so jealous when Skottie young showed some of his commission holders their works. Hopefully next year I can get him to do a commission.

#3 Edited by CaptainTightpants12 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of really love the idea of Tim as a Blue Lantern.

#4 Posted by victorcheenoanleu (145 posts) - - Show Bio

Ohmylanta Psylocke & Angel!

#5 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5537 posts) - - Show Bio

Invincible, Beta Ray Bill and Bane= Wow!!!

#6 Posted by Grim (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

@captaintightpants12: right? i just started giggling like a school girl at Hope Tim. That's what that would have been... unless he went Indigo (which i can also kinda see).

#7 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22229 posts) - - Show Bio

This week was fantastic, I love some, and like others, none that I can say I dislike. That Nighting

#8 Posted by Novemberx2 (464 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow another Skottie Young baby hero doddle! man he is just so talented at milking that gimmick, shame he isn't as talented at drawing

#9 Posted by mak13131313 (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Freddie Williams II takes it this week! They are all excellent though.

#10 Edited by lifeofvibe (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

Why lobo?

#12 Posted by Jokerpoker (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome.

#13 Posted by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

No Thor or Power Girl? Boo!

#14 Edited by ravisher (694 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6360 posts) - - Show Bio

Great week.

#16 Posted by Wolverine08 (43760 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.

#17 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it strange that gambit looks really good in Rogue's colours/costume.

#18 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2276 posts) - - Show Bio
Star Wars: Extended Universe by Needham Comics (aka ME)
New 52 Blue Beetle versus Madmen by Needham Comics (aka ME)
New 52's Ted Kord Forbes Cover by Needham Comics (AKA me)

#19 Posted by longbowhunter (7323 posts) - - Show Bio

Paolo Rivera's Magneto is one if the best commissions I've ever seen from him. Rod Reis does an incredible Sandman.

#20 Posted by wundagoreborn (372 posts) - - Show Bio

Really, really want that Beta Ray Bill! Fantastic.

#21 Posted by BraveKnight99 (85 posts) - - Show Bio

@artisticneedham: That Blue Beetle is my favourite art piece from all of them.

#22 Posted by AmazingWebHead (3511 posts) - - Show Bio

"You get an 'A' for effort, kid." Priceless

I see old age hasn't made Han any less badass. But really, it that any surprise?

First Kara, and now Blue Lantern Tim? It's like all my favorite characters are getting power rings now. What's next, Green Lantern Leonardo?

#23 Posted by Decept-O (7280 posts) - - Show Bio

While I have never been a fan of Beta Ray Bill, Mr. Tan has managed to make him appear very powerful and kick-ass here. Nice job.

Todd Nauck's work featuring Wolverine...wow, what a great piece, very nice, full of action and I love the pencils.

So many great ones as always, love the "Awesome Art Picks", and hope it continues!

#24 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@braveknight99: WOW, thank you so very much. I have this whole concept of how Ted Kord should be in the New 52. Thank you very much for liking that. :)

#25 Posted by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

Scottie Young on a TMNT book needs to happen!!!!!

I also think it's funny that like 90% of the Superman commissions that we see are him in his Pre52 costume

@grim said:

@captaintightpants12: right? i just started giggling like a school girl at Hope Tim. That's what that would have been... unless he went Indigo (which i can also kinda see).

you know that the Indigo Tribe is composed of criminals and psychopaths forced into rehabilitation right?

#26 Posted by corpsecraft (55 posts) - - Show Bio

@artisticneedham: Hey, you're pretty good. The lines in the Blue Beetle pic may need cleaned up a bit, but everything else is looking great. Keep drawing!

#27 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@corpsecraft: Thanks. These were side projects, fun, while I should be doing other art. So I didn't take as much time on them as I wish I could have. I wish I could work on the New 52 Blue Beetle for real. :D

#28 Posted by viin (613 posts) - - Show Bio

That Leonardo by Skottie Young is awesome. He would be such a great artist and possinle writer for a ninja turles book.

#30 Posted by LCazT1996 (532 posts) - - Show Bio

^This makes me really happy.

#31 Posted by Bad_People (163 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of Nightcrawler this week. And those Peter Nguyen costume switches work better than the originals.

#32 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

That Flash, Bane, and Beta Ray Bill. Wowzas

#33 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4249 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Awesome Art Picks I've seen lately. A lot of good stuff here. Love Joel Gomez's work and Skottie Young's Mysterio.

#34 Posted by AlKusanagi (614 posts) - - Show Bio

Logan is about ten seconds away from dropping his junk on Pete's forehead and snapping a picture.

#35 Posted by Pokeysteve (8425 posts) - - Show Bio

Skottie's stuff usually never impresses me. I just don't like his style. This week though, it's speaking to me. Just good fun art work right there. That tiny Doom is just adorable........and...and terrifying. Yes, yes terrifying.

#36 Edited by andy_117 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

MYSTERIO! I love that Skottie Young Mysterio so much! But then it does combine cute things and Mysterio, so my bias is showing.

#37 Posted by Jbreen (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving Tan's stuff

#38 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

Beta Ray Bill! Omg

#39 Posted by Lykida (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, so much great art this week. Peter Nguyen chose two of my all time favorite couples: Rogue & Gambit and Betsy & Angel. Would love to see them together again. Also, Rod Reis' Han Solo and Sandman are very cool and I always love what Gomez does (batwoman and Death look so great).

#40 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8249 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I've been really out of the loop lately. They're makIng an IncredIbIles sequel?

#41 Edited by wmwadeii (3250 posts) - - Show Bio

Another great week. Unfortunately I was under the weather yesterday, so for those looking for my deviantART picks I finally have them posted today. Enjoy.

#42 Posted by G-Man (36788 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by SoA (4944 posts) - - Show Bio

this concept is very cool and this pairing really stood out for me

#46 Posted by dreamfall31 (573 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the Freddie Williams ones. Is he on an ongoing currently?

#47 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man OK, before the real thing comes out (which I think will be any minute. ) I wanted to repost my concept.

so here it is (its long)

Incredibles 2:

Incredibles 1 was about the father, Bob Parr, who was a superhero and misses his glory days so much he almost missed being a father and husband. It was also about superheroes who were forced into retirement, and hiding your specialness to be average like everyone else.

In the end Bob and his Family save the world from Syndrome and bring the Superheroes back into the public eye, ending the forced retirement of all remaining heroes once and for all.

The sequel would be about that, the old superheroes returning to action while a brand new batch is finally allowed to join. The new generation are comprised of the sons and daughters of old heroes and villains. But the old heroes and the new don't mesh well. Their methods differ. The older generation don't understand the new threats and how dangerous they are and the new generation is too harsh and violent. There are also those trying to create powers suddenly, illegally. New heroes and villains keep popping up. Meanwhile the heart of the story is about Bob Parr and his family again. Its been years since they defeated syndrome and became a family of heroes. But now his kids are older and don't want to hang around as much as they used to. Dash AKA The Dash is in high school and Violet AKA Missapear is in college and even Jack Jack, going by Jack now, AKA Incredi-Boy is busy. Plus they have to be superheroes also, leaving little to no time for their family. Bob feels his family slipping away. Dash and Violet and Jack also belong to the new generation of superheroes while Bob and Helen, AKA Mr. Incredible and Elasti-Girl. Frozone even has a son or daughter (or twins) of his own who would belong to the new generation as well. (Frozone's wife and children are brought in as characters too.) Another problem that arises is when Violet starts dating the son of one of Bob's old foes. (The film could also deal with the fact that things are less black and white as time goes on, more gray.) The former bad guy, or the son, could even be called The Gray! So this idea I feel, while it draws heavily on Alex Ross and Mark Waid's Kingdom Come, would continue the world of the Incredibles nicely and continue the idea of the regular/average mixed with the fantastic.

I still am working on it, I still need a main problem that they must over come, which could involve the Gray or could even still draw from the Kingdom Come comic and bring the new generation against the old generation.

The main conflict could even be a Captain America styled hero who becomes the main villain while trying to shut all the new heroes down or something. So the old generation of a Classic Captain America type becomes the new generation Dr. Doom villain type. (He could have cameras everywhere and be turning the city into a police state thing.)

#48 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes but also kinda noooooo.

This is why I'm ambivalent on the original cast in the next trilogy.

#49 Posted by sweatboy (816 posts) - - Show Bio

@captaintightpants12 said:

^This makes me really happy.

he's got a good heart.

#50 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane and wolverine were my favorites! All these artists get an A!