Awesome Art Picks: Greedo, Wolverine, BB-8, and More

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Happy Holidays! Each week we search for the coolest comic book art that you won’t see in actual comics. The reason you won’t is because artists often draw sketches for fun or commissions and post them on their websites, blogs, and Tumblrs. Some artists even arrange commissions through their sites so be sure to check them out.

Skottie Young posted a bunch of Star Wars sketches on his Tumblr this week.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Dustin Nguyen posted new art on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Adam Kubert posted some sketches he drew for friends on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Agnes Garbowska posted more art on her Tumblr.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Philip Tan posted some commissions on his Facebook page.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Denis Medri posted this Star Wars 80s High School Boba Fett sketch on his Deviant Art page.

No Caption Provided

Chris Giarrusso put up more sketch cards for sale on his website.

No Caption Provided

Peter Nguyen posted an X-Men and Samurai Vader sketch on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Brett Booth posted a sketch of Jessie Quick on his Twitter page.

No Caption Provided

Tom Raney posted more "Mostly Daily" sketches on his Twitter.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Franco posted a couple Force Awakens sketches on his Instagram. He also posted a trio of characters together because he couldn't decide which to draw. You can buy original art from Franco HERE.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Kevin Wada posted a Big Barda/She-Hulk commission on his Tumblr.

No Caption Provided

Mike McKone posted some new commissions on his Twitter.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Ryan Ottley posted a couple new sketches on his Tumblr. The sketch cover he titled "Appetizer."

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

That's it for this week. Let us know which ones you really enjoyed. We'll be back next week as long as we can find more awesome art. Happy New Year.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Blue Beetle- CW Series WIP

My idea for what a CW Blue Beetle/Ted Kord might be like. It is still a work in progress. It took much longer than I thought it would and I don't have the time it would take to finish it right now. But I took it to a pint I feel I can walk away from it for now.

I still want to add the gutters between the panels, and fix the lettering. Maybe add some highlights to the final image of Ted as the Blue Beetle.

I laid out his opening monologue and opening montage telling and showing his origin like the Arrow and Flash TV shows do.

I used a style I found on kinjamin page.

In my concept Ted Kord, like Marvel's Tony Stark was, is a young CEO of his father's company. Ted's Uncle Jarvis leaves his job in the R&D level to help.

And under Ted's genius inventions (like Steve Jobs) his company has become a successful empire making computers, phones, pads, cars, etc.

He gets a call from his old college roomate, Dan Gerett, who went on to Archeology. He seems to have information about Ted's father's mysterious death.

But when Ted gets to the meeting spot he is suddenly in the middle of a crime scene gangland fight. The resident vigilante "The Blue Beetle" is in the middle of fighting masked thugs in painted vampire masks who call themselves the Madmen. Before Ted knows what to do there is a huge explosion and the "Blue Beetle"

is hit by the blast. When Ted rushes to the strangers aid he finds out it is none other than Dan. Dan tells him that he found out Ted's Uncle Jarvis Kord was behind the murder of Ted's father in order to gain control of the company. And right before his death Dan makes Ted promise to use the magic scarab that gave Dan his powers to become the new Blue Beetle and continue his mission against crime. Ted promises and stays with Dan while he dies in Ted's arms.

Ted has no idea how to get the scarab to work, and finds a man who says he can named John Constantine. He finds out that the scarab isn't magic, it seems alien to John.

Still keeping his promise Ted devotes his time to training (his employees and uncle think he wants to be a UFC fighting) , inventing (getting commissions from the military, police, and so on, to excuse his engineering armor and weapons, and learning about his uncle, and years later (about 8) Ted thinks he might be ready.

He is the Blue Beetle. (like Arrow and Flash we can get flashbacks. While the current story starts now with his first days as Blue Beetle, we flashback to his training and Dan and his Uncle.)

And like the Flash and Arrow our hero is surrounded by a supporting cast. His Uncle Jarvis, his personal assistant Tracy, his mother who has been crippled by grief since Theodore "Ted" Kord Sr.'s death worsening her dementia.

a newly hired assistant (who 35-40 while most of the office, including Ted, are around 25-30) named Michael John Carter who is revealed to actually be from the future,

Dan Garett and Ted's father in flashbacks, cameos by Oliver Queen/Green Arrow and Barry Allen/Flash and their crew... and more added on as the series progresses.

Ted's whole thing from the beginning is he has a strong sense of responsibility to carry on other people's plans. His father's company, his friend's superhero mission, etc.

And he, from the beginning, is devoted to non-lethal tech. His armor and weapons he creates are all non-lethal. And while he uses the best he does patent them and sell the finished tech to the military and police (in a smart way, like saying he "saw the news where the Blue Beetle used this weapon and we need to figure out how to make them, the cops should have this tech.") Also it might be cool if Ted used a voice altering device like Oliver, but it altered his voice to sound like his late friend Dan Garett. To make Dan's enemies think he didn't die. Ted's costume is made of two layers, one is a Kevlar type material that Dan used in his original Beetle costume. Its material like the Flash suit or the Arrow's.

The second layer is the armor like the Atom's. He wears armored: helmet, gloves, shoulder pads, boots, belt, chest/shoulder/back piece, etc. The armor isn't as bulky as the Ray's Atom armor, or the Iron Man armor, so its less protective. It basicely enhances his abilities and strength. His goggles have tech too, different sights, camera, wifi, internet, so many things that allow him to not just see in the dark. His helmet also has the coive modulating device, and mic/phone system.

Although its not pictured I see his gun looking more like the guns used by Judge Dredd and the other judges. Its squarish. It has milti uses.

Flash granade projectiles, rubber and beanbag bullets, taser, a net, tracer darts, and various gasses. It is also rigged to only respond to Ted's DNA.

I chose the actor Collin Hanks, Tom Hanks' son, for Ted Kord because I think he could pull it off and be a great Ted Kord and he seems like he is a big enough/small enough name that they could get him. Plus i could then use Tom Hanks as the father and Tom's brother Jim as the Uncle Jarvis character.

The season one ends with Ted versus his Uncle Jarvis, who was behind not only his father's death but the attack by the Madmen that killed Dan.

It ends with Ted realizing he needs to figure out what he wants. Are his father's company and his friends mission his dreams too?

Many of the concepts I came up with came from my Ultimate/New 52 Blue Beetle ideas here:

needham-comics.deviantart.com/…

His opening monologue:

“My name is Ted Kord.

You might remember me from Times Magazine’s 20 under 20 who will change the future.

Maybe you own a Kord Industries Laptop, Cellphone, or Smart Car.

After my father’s mysterious death I took over Kord Industries and turned it into a multimillion dollar empire.

Then, eight years ago my old college roommate and friend was killed in front of my eyes.

But that wasn’t all, before he died he revealed to me that he was the vigilante known as the Blue Beetle and made me promise to carry on his mission after his death.

But there was a problem, the magic Scarab he gave me didn’t work.”

“Here is the thing mate, this ain’t magic. Its alien.” –Constantine.

“So for the past eight years I have been training and inventing,

and now I am finally read… I hope.

I am the BLUE BEETLE!

Avatar image for uncanny_xfactor
Uncanny_XFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Loving all the Star Wars.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Decept-O

Great art all around but not a lot on display this week. However Dustin Nguyen really did some outstanding work.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as we're clear. In that very cool dead Greedo picture, HAN SHOT FIRST :)

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#7 pikahyper  Moderator

They need to give Skottie Young a Star Wars series, preferably an Ewok one.

Avatar image for originalalchemist
originalalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for doing this segment, even with Christmas @g_man! Good stuff.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

@liveforever: I somehow got this AND Best Battles done on Wednesday. That's why I didn't do as many reviews. I also figured there wouldn't be as much new art as the artists are probably busy as well. Hopefully I'll be able to find some for next week! Art and the Internet doesn't take vacations!

TG_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big barda/she hulk or the samurai Vader are the best ones

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJ_Was_Here

@artisticneedham: Good job on this, man. However (and I'm sorry, it's the graphic designer talking) can you make the "I am the Blue Beetle" blue and take away the drop shadow? It kind of gets lost. Other than that, great idea, great costume, well done.

EDIT: "READY"

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jj_was_here: Oh yeah. I never intended to leave that. Its a WIP. I eventually would fix the letters. The white shadows were just for my process. And i would add gutters to the panels. Also fix the caption boxes to fit into the panels and not crossover where they weren't meant to. Thanks.

@originalalchemist@uncanny_xfactor@kid_jakeriv Thanks for the positivity. I am glad people like this idea. Happy Holidays!

sdunham818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So...much....great...art!!!

Avatar image for comicbookfantjm
ComicBookFanTJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ComicBookFanTJM

Hey do you prefer the original steve ditko design or the post crisis design?

Avatar image for misternefarious
MisterNefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is the female character in the metal bikini talking to Dengar up there towards the top?