• 52 results
Posted by G-Man (30672 posts) - - Show Bio

It's time once again to check out some of the coolest comic art on the internet that you won't see in actual books. The reason is artists often draw sketches for commissions or for fun on their personal blogs and Tumblr accounts. It gives them a chance to draw characters they want to and may not normally get the chance on their assigned books.

Because the holidays are just around the corner, now about we start off with a little holiday-themed piece of art. This comes from the talented Phil Noto.

Phil posted this pic of Tony Stark on this Tumblr account and for some reason I get the impression that Tony isn't going to necessarily be behaving later on.

Phil also posted this really cool set of 'photo booth' pics of X-23 and Jubilee.

Joel Gomez posted a few cover sketch commissions on his Tumblr this week. Check out his Psylocke, Ultron and Iron Man.

Last week, Joel did a really cool Nightwing and he posted another earlier this week.

Staying with the Batman-theme, Dustin Nguyen posted a sketch on this Tumblr of Poison Ivy 'in the Fall.' You know, I didn't get it at first but that's pretty dang hilarious. Typical Dustin.

He also posted a couple older pieces he had lying around.

There's one more Batman piece. This one is from Dan McDaid's blog and is a commission feature Batman and the Joker.

Captain America often puts in an appearance here and Paolo Rivera posted a nice commission on his blog of Cap and Bucky.

Speaking of Cap and Bucky, Francesco Francavilla will be drawing CAPTAIN AMERICA AND BUCKY with issue #625 (on sale December 28) and posted this little teaser of Bucky. Why so angry?

Francesco is an ace when it comes to the pulp art and check out this ultra cool old timey rocket.

Everyone loves Gambit, right? Agnes Garbowska posted this sketch of the ladies (not just from the Marvel Universe) trying to get some Gambit-lovin.'

Agnes also posted a scan of a commission she did earlier. I have to admit I'm lovin' it.

Michael Walsh has been posting some cool art on his Tumblr. Check out his Marvel poker scene, Martian Manhunter and a pic from a little video game called The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim.

Our final image comes from Francis Manapul. This was actually reblogged on Dustin Nguyen's Tumblr. Superman's looking pretty good.

That's it for this week. I have a feeling we might not be seeing another installment over the next couple weeks. I will be keeping my eye out for the most awesomest art around but I have a tiny feeling some of the artists might be taking some well-deserved time off to spend with friends and family. Hope you enjoyed these.

Staff
#1 Posted by ARMIV2 (8305 posts) - - Show Bio

Great work all around!

#2 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the Manapul Superman

#3 Posted by Illuminatus (9497 posts) - - Show Bio

That Marvel poker scene is just classic.

#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome stuff!

#5 Posted by DXmagma (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think I like the look on Cap's face...

#6 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow Manapul can do Superman wonderfully! And that's another solid Nightwing by Gomez. Great stuff!

#7 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Manapul can draw just about anyone. They look amazing!

#8 Posted by Billy Batson (57793 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Superman were cool.
BB

#9 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

The X-23 & Jubilee picture is unbelievably funny. It sums up everything I love about the relationship between these characters. Phil Noto's art is always great.

#10 Posted by cobra88king8 (337 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish there was an easier way to find different tumblrs belonging to comic artists. So far I just find them based on the ones recommended in these weekly articles

#11 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

several really memorable ones this week, nice finds. The Jubilee/X-23 shots are so fun and goofy, absolutely love those. :)

#12 Posted by StarKiller809 (1237 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the Superman one. I really like it.

I also like most of the Batman ones.

#13 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

All of these are great, loved the Skyrim piece.

#14 Posted by TheMrBatrang (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Francis' Superman looks pretty good.

Francis has a really nice way to draw.

#15 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Manapaul's Superman and Walsh's Marvel poker group drawing

#16 Posted by krilling (2488 posts) - - Show Bio

I want that Marvel poker sketch as a poster!

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (6805 posts) - - Show Bio

@shawn87 said:

Love the Manapul Superman

Same here!

#18 Posted by Ultimate_MiracleMan (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a bad piece in the bunch

#19 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3712 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome.

Oh, by the way, I want to point out that...

...that`s Cesar Romero shooting Batman and Robin.

#20 Posted by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Mchedlione (7 posts) - - Show Bio

nice,last one,superman is da best i suppose... : )

#22 Posted by The Impersonator (5075 posts) - - Show Bio

Bad Santa. :P

#23 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

@DXmagma said:

Have to agree. Not hating but he looks....odd.

However all the works here are excellent, very nice assortment. Michael Walsh's works are wonderful and that Martian Manhunter is actually beautiful. Great picks yet again, G-Man!

#24 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@krilling said:

I want that Marvel poker sketch as a poster!

Me too!

#25 Posted by PowerHerc (81645 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a lot of really nice art here.

I particularly liked Superman, Psylocke, Marvel poker scene, Ultron and the old-timey rocket

#26 Posted by ScarlettWitch (8 posts) - - Show Bio

they're all so great!

#27 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Love how Manapul draws Superman!

#28 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14402 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman pick is epic

#29 Posted by maxicere (936 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing!!!!!!!! Great great great !!! Love this pics!!

#30 Posted by TheMadMonkey (148 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decept-O said:

@DXmagma said:

However all the works here are excellent, very nice assortment. Michael Walsh's works are wonderful and that Martian Manhunter is actually beautiful. Great picks yet again, G-Man!

Rivera appears to be echoing the style used by Kirby and Simon when they originally drew Cap & Bucky back in the 40s. I think it's an excellent example of an artist homaging someone else's style while still maintaining their own.

#31 Posted by LiquidSwords (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMadMonkey said:

@Decept-O said:

@DXmagma said:

Rivera appears to be echoing the style used by Kirby and Simon when they originally drew Cap & Bucky back in the 40s. I think it's an excellent example of an artist homaging someone else's style while still maintaining their own.

Wait, wait wait! You guys have a problem with Cap's face, but not Bucky's creepy "Raep Time" face?

#32 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty chill picks!

#33 Posted by ulrich200 (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Great art all around.

Special love for Phil Noto and his 'retro hero parties' work. Truly Amazing.

#34 Posted by NaNdoKaveli (7 posts) - - Show Bio

me encanta el Batman como poseído, es brutal! y la del Joker junto a Batman y Robin de los 60! qué recuerdos jeje

#35 Edited by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheMadMonkey: Sorry man nothing to do with the somewhat Kirby-esque style here that DXMagma and I are commenting on, it has to do with the look on Cap's face. He looks odd with that smirk or smile. ( EDIT ) No disrespect to Mr. Rivera. @LiquidSwords: Well I wouldn't quite go that far but OK. Cap just looks a bit "off" here. I could never do as good a job as this artist, yet Cap just looks kind of odd to me.

Seems like I may have previously seen a few of these but all the art shown is just fantastic no matter what.

#36 Posted by TheSwampThing (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker (Romero), all the Batmen, Nightwing, and FM's Superman are bloody awesome!!!

#37 Edited by lorex (949 posts) - - Show Bio
@MyraMyraMyra: I agree and I hope the budding friendship between the two continues and is something that is not just forgotten by writers
#38 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

favrote one was jubille and x23

#39 Posted by _transgojobot_ (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the heck outta that Jubilee/X-23 piece; they seriously need to have a monthly title featuring those two have wacky, sexy adventures.

#40 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice Superman, Tony Stark pic looked pretty funny.

#41 Edited by SpidermanWins (3980 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them all. We have a lot of talented people here. Love the poker scene, Cap and Bucky, Ivy, Lea/Chewie, Skyrim, and Superman pics. One thing, why does the Joker have a French mustache in McDan's picture? (I make up nicknames in my sleep =)...) They are all fantastic though.

#42 Posted by Shimmy (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

Awesome.

Oh, by the way, I want to point out that...

...that`s Cesar Romero shooting Batman and Robin.

Hell and damn yeah.

#43 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shimmy: That's so feakin AWESOME!!! Romero is my favorite Joker!!

#44 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.

#45 Posted by victoriancuckoo (228 posts) - - Show Bio

love the Superman one at the end, and the x23 and Jubilee is really cute

#46 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Great stuff, especially like the Jubilee and X-23 one, those are awesome.

#47 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

Francis Manapul.....I wish he could clone himself and draw many, many, many more books. His Superman looks fantastic.

#48 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (675 posts) - - Show Bio

That Dovakiin was pretty great. They all were pretty great.

#49 Posted by jerfro23 (97 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss marvel poker scens where hero just sit play poker for moment be happy

#50 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just destined to love all the pics Phil Noto will ever come up with!

<3 Laura and Jubilee!!