• 83 results
Posted by G-Man (29394 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we search for the coolest comic book art that won't ever appear in comics. The reason they won't is because artists often do sketches for fun or for commissions and post them on their websites, blogs and Tumblrs. Many artists even arrange commissions through their sites so be sure to check them out for more information.

Marcus To posted a commission he did recently of Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne on his Tumblr.

You're going to start to see a theme here this week.

== TEASER ==

Chris Giarrusso posted a Batman sketch on a con program guide on his website. He also posted a sketch of his character, G-Man (no relation).

Freddie Williams II posted a bunch of sketches on his TwitPic page this week.

Have you seen the common theme that's been popping up this week?

Brett Booth has been announced as the new artist for NIGHTWING beginning with issue 19. He posted some Nightwing sketches on his blog along with a new Cyclops sketch and some Dr. Fate designs. You can see more of the different variations on Fate's costume over at his blog.

Denis Medri posted another Rockabilly picture on his Deviant Art Page but this time it's Nightwing and the Riddler. He also posted a Dylan Dog pic.

Joel Gomez posted an older sketch he did of Harley Quinn on his Tumblr this week.

Daniel HDR posted a few commissions on his Tumblr this week. He often posts work-in-progress shots so you can see the different stages of his art. The Deathstroke one is part of a bigger drawing he's working on.

Phil Noto has updated his Tumblr once again this week. It's another from the "Hank Pym Photo Archives."

Philip Tan posted some more sketches on his Facebook page.

Have you been reading COMEBACK drawn by Michael Walsh? Issue 3 came out this week. Check out the sketches of Legion and Thor Michael posted on his Tumblr.

Mike Mayhew posted this cool Wolverine sketch card through his Twitter this week.

Are you familiar with Kim Possible? I've actually never watched the show. But I do have to say this is an interesting rendition of the character Terry Dodson posted on his Deviant Art Page.

Paolo Rivera posted a couple commissions on his blog of James Bond and Bettie Page.

Todd Nauck posted another X-Men 1984 sketch on his Tumblr. Such a great era for the team.

Jim Cheung posted a few sketches on his Facebook page. The Spider-Man one was a donated NYCC 2012 Auction piece. Proceeds went to St.Jude's Children's Hospital.

That's it for this week. The common theme I mentioned was the abundance of Batman sketches this week. More than usual. We'll keep our eyes peeled for more cool art for the next installment.

Staff
#1 Posted by red_titan (156 posts) - - Show Bio

first!

#2 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing with finger stripes! :)

#3 Posted by longbowhunter (5832 posts) - - Show Bio

Really like Brett Booth's Nightwing and the Dr. Fate redesign is one of the best of the New 52, even if it is a little busy.

#4 Posted by JakeN7 (4582 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh. My. God.

Brett Booth is taking over on Nightwing!!?!?

*fangasm*

His art was the only redeeming quality of Teen Titans.

The pics posted here are awesome and I love the design of Dick's costume. I can't wait for issue #19 now!

#5 Posted by kid Apollo (697 posts) - - Show Bio

do i even need to say it? BRETT BOOTH!

#6 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Well these are all full of WIN!

#7 Posted by nj06 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is the woman with the blue hair above Batman?

#8 Posted by Billy Batson (56863 posts) - - Show Bio

@nj06 said:

Who is the woman with the blue hair above Batman?

Ramona Flowers.
BB

#9 Posted by confirukia (219 posts) - - Show Bio

just noticed how much i miss the show kimpossible

#10 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

Brett Booth is killing it!!!

#11 Posted by TDK_1997 (13669 posts) - - Show Bio

Brett Booth's Dr. Fate is awesome.

#12 Posted by judasnixon (5430 posts) - - Show Bio

Phil Noto Is amazing, I love his art, It brakes my heart to see him wasted on the God awful Thunderbolts book....

#13 Posted by War07 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

The new Doctor Fate costume look awesome!!!

#14 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

nightwing won it for me!!

#15 Posted by dondave (26550 posts) - - Show Bio

Brett Booth's design's are awesome !

#16 Posted by dondave (26550 posts) - - Show Bio

Really liked Phillip Tan's Daniel HDR's and Freddie Willimas pieces

#17 Posted by LordRequiem (1302 posts) - - Show Bio

Bret Booth and Philip Tan's work is just ridiculously detailed and immense. They're bloody amazing!

#18 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (294 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, what do I have to do to get a Rockabilly Batman comic?

Because I'll do it.

#19 Posted by ahgunsillyo (112 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, is that a Jim Cheung rendition of Ramona Flowers? Boy howdy!

#20 Posted by Outside_85 (7074 posts) - - Show Bio

Mmm, Booth pencils and an inked Trigon.

Deathstroke looked good too.

#21 Posted by sinestro_GL (3003 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr Fate is AWESOME!

#22 Posted by batkevin74 (9723 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome Dr Fate, great Batman's, just plain old excellent really

#23 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16855 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow those are some great pics.

#24 Posted by ARMIV2 (7653 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so glad I don't have to, like, vote or anything on these for whatever reason.

It'd be way too hard.

#25 Posted by Pokeysteve (7007 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of good Batman stuff this week.

#26 Posted by JamDamage (1105 posts) - - Show Bio

That Dr Fate concept pic is incredible.

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27289 posts) - - Show Bio

that Dr Fate design is sick

#28 Posted by n25philly (89 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, cyclops looks good when done by someone that actually can draw

#29 Posted by soumya (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Brett Booth!Seriously,... I mean that man is a genius.His cover design and art from the Teen Titans surprised me....and now he is back with Nightwing!Eagerly waiting for issue 19.

#30 Posted by Spawn92 (278 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Fate looks ridiculously awesome drawn by Booth!.

#31 Posted by danhimself (21898 posts) - - Show Bio

it's going to suck not seeing Booth on Teen Titans anymore but having him on Nightwing is going to be awesome!!

also does anyone else remember when the New 52 started and everyone was saying how much they didn't like Booth's work and now look at everyone saying how great he is

#32 Posted by stu (375 posts) - - Show Bio

the nightwings are awesome!

#33 Posted by Sakurafire (60 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Unfortunately there are quite a few books that I've felt Phil Noto's artwork was wasted on... I thought he was getting lucky with Ghost, but I guess I was wrong.

Honestly I would love to see Phil doing more Bat titles. He was great on Batgirl, although the story he was handed for Sirens wasn't exactly awesome.

#34 Posted by Big_Nasty (338 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamDamage said:

That Dr Fate concept pic is incredible.

I Know. And all the Bat-family pics as well.

#35 Edited by PaperDemon (576 posts) - - Show Bio

No offense to anyone but, Why all these chibi drawings lately?? Its not kindergarten you know.

Mike Mayhew: Nice wolverine! keep it up!

#36 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

whos that lady 2 pictures below kitty and piotr?

#37 Posted by PrioritySeven (23 posts) - - Show Bio

That Rocketeer piece is amazing!

#38 Posted by soumya (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Booth's art reminds me of the work of Tim Sale...so fluid and it blends well with the characters

#39 Posted by wdchefdave (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Dr. Fate looks great!

And, Steve Ditko made every artist after him draw all those wed-lines on Spider-man's costume!

Fate is gonna be a nightmare to draw!

(Reminds me of when they added all that stuff to Moon Knight... that had to be hell to draw!)

All the art is great... loved the Betty and Bond!

#40 Edited by Zeeguy91 (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Daniel HDR's Deathstroke. I think that Deathstroke is the only character whose pre-Flashpoint look I favored to his New 52 costume. I mean, his New 52 costume is okay and I like certain parts of it, but there's some I miss from his old costume, like those "strings" (if they can be called that) that used to hang behind his head and the foldover boots. If they could find a way to merge the best parts from both into one costume, then I'd be extremely happy.

Although I jhave to say that I freaking LOVE Trigon's new look, especially the way that Phillip Tan draws it. Dr. Fate's new costume also looks pretty amazing. It looks more sorcerer-like than before.

I find it funny that s many artists are now shifting over to drawing the New 52 costumes as opposed to the older looks, especially because a few weeks ago, I saw someone pointing out how artists usually stick to the pre-Flashpoint costumes.

#41 Posted by fables87 (838 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG Kim Possible and Bettie Page! Don't see them on here very much. Love the comic book version of Kim Possible.

#42 Posted by slade_wilson (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who absolutely despises Brett Booth?

#43 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Great chit!

#44 Posted by Azrael66 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Doc Fate redesigns wins all.

#45 Posted by Azrael66 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Please everybody, post on Brett Booth's blog telling him how much you love his Fate designs! Hopefully he'll pitch the idea to DC who could potentially give him Doc Fate an ongoing with Booth on the art!!!!

#46 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1747 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Kim Possible!! This pic is FANTASTIC! Imagine if Terry Dobson drew Shego, wow!

#47 Posted by Grey56 (681 posts) - - Show Bio

Nauck and Williams continue to deliver - glad to see that the latter will be at the KC Con in April. I plan on bartering first-born for a sketch cover.

#48 Edited by Decept-O (7270 posts) - - Show Bio

Time and again both Brett Booth and Philip Tan knock me off my feet with their art. All the art posted is wonderful but their work just never ceases to amaze me.

Noto and Nauck's styles are so instantly recognizable and I enjoy all they do. Michael Walsh and Mike Mayhew always manage a lot of action and great characters. I really love that Spidey and Black Cat by Cheung. Nice to see a Bettie Page piece here, even if it is just a profile. Looks great, nice work by Rivera.

Freddie Williams' style is somewhat reminiscent of Todd Nauck's work. Not a bad thing by any means. His Batman is a bit more "wide" than other renditions of him but I like the style he's got going, esp the inks.

More Terry Dodson, please!

#49 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1545 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Rockabilly art style... very realistic...it's like Nolan verse, but more Bada$$

#50 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

To, Rivera, Dodson, Mayhew, Walsh, Nauck, Cheung are all so awesome! I love their work! Phillip Tan's work has grown on me more.