• 61 results
Posted by G-Man (31631 posts) - - Show Bio

We all love seeing artists' interpretations of different characters. This is where we gather up the different sketches by artists that won't appear in actual comics. Artists often do sketches for fun or commissions and post them on their blogs, Tumblrs or Twitter pages. Many artists even take commissions through their sites so you can contact them if you're looking for some original art.

Daniel HDR is taking pre-commissions for NYCC. You can contact him if you plan on being at the show and have something you'd want him to draw. Here's a a bunch he's done this week and posted on his Tumblr.

Marcio Takara posted a couple sketches on his Tumblr this week. Check out his Hellboy & Wolverine and Scarlet Witch.

Todd Nauck did a bunch of sketches at his GUARDING THE GLOBE signing this week and posted them on his Twitter. He also posted an Ant-Man sketch on his Tumblr.

Each week Brett Booth posts a sketch or two on his blog. This week he included his designs for EARTH 2 Superman and Catwoman along with his take on Stargirl.

Chris Giarrusso gave his interpretation of the momentous kiss between Superman and Wonder Woman. He also posted another Tribute Tuesday for Jack Kirby on his website.

Paolo Rivera is at Baltimore Comic Con this weekend and did take some pre-commissions through his blog. Check out this lovely Poison Ivy someone will be picking up.

Philip Tan continues to post sketches on his Facebook page.

Michael Walsh posted a couple sketches this week on his Tumblr. Check out his take on the Spirit and Thanos.

Peter Nguyen is also taking pre-commissions for NYCC through his Tumblr. Check out the Black Widow and Batgirl he posted this week.

Mike McKone posted this groovy sketch of Spider-Man just hanging around on his TwitPic page.

Did you see Freddie Williams II's issue of GREEN ARROW this week? Here's a Spidey sketch he posted on his Twhttp://twitpic.com/photos/FreddieartitPic page as well as a close look at his take on Hawkman.

Dustin Nguyen can't get enough of drawing Batman and Robin. Here's one he posted this week on this Tumblr.

Gene Gonzales posted a sketch of Captain (Carol) Danvers that he colored digitally on his blog.

Joel Gomez posted some recent commissions on his Tumblr this week.

Mahmud Asrar posted some sketches on his Instagram this week.

Agnes Garbowska posted some commissions from Fan Expo on her Tumblr this week.

Agnes also has these sketchcards up on eBay. You can find links to them here.

If you're a Doctor Who fan, you know the latest season started last wek. Here's a sketch Francesco Francavilla posted on his blog.

Ryan Stegman posted this sketch of Thor on his Tumblr this week. Is he going to be showing up in the pages of FANTASTIC FOUR?

Denis Medri posted this sketch of Iggy Pop on his Deviant Art page. Did you know Iggy Pop even has a page here?

That's it for this week. With Baltimore Comic Con, chances are we'll be seeing more sketches popping up for next week. If you do go to Baltimore Comic Con and see any of the artists featured here, be sure to say hi to them and that you saw their cool art here.

Staff
#1 Posted by Inverno (13145 posts) - - Show Bio

I really dug Paolo Riveira's Poison Ivy.

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Love that Dalek piece.

#3 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14425 posts) - - Show Bio

love the Chewbacca pic

#4 Posted by CitizenJP (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Todd Nauck is awesome.

#5 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a first. I did not see a art piece I didn't like! There's some really great stuff here!

#6 Posted by longbowhunter (6983 posts) - - Show Bio

Iggy! I'm actually rocking the Stooges at present. That HDR Dex-starr piece is pretty cool. I like Brett Booth's stuff a lot more prior to if being colored.

#7 Posted by killawogg (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the Thor pic

#8 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (426 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww. I love the Dex-Starr one with him as a Green Lantern. It's be nice if he could become a good guy. He needs to meet Catwoman so she can heal his hatred of humans.

#9 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, the Poison Ivy one was amazing

#10 Edited by Miggy4 (44 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for gathering up all these pics, they're awesome!

Hard to pic a favorite. All of Philip Tan's were great, especially the Flash, Both of Peter Nguyen's were AMAZING, Daniel HDR's Colossus was awesome, and showed off his Russian side X) Todd Nauck's Ant-Man was pretty cool, Brett Booths Catwoman was HOT! P: same goes for Paolo Rivera's Poison Ivy. Most I could limit it down to would be Peter Nguyen's Batgirl and Black Widow, Philip Tan's Flash, or Daniel HDR's Colossus.

#11 Posted by Utandi (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah! Booster Gold! ^^

Philip Tan again is brutally good.

Awesome art this week.

#12 Posted by LivingWire (24 posts) - - Show Bio

i love all of them hahahah

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (14644 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool picks.

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really like Tod Nauck's stuff

#15 Posted by superdan6180 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Mahmud Asrar is becoming one of my favorites!

#16 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Tan's and Booth's are amazing.

#17 Posted by randalmeister (84 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome picks! Todd Nauck's line work is almost mesmerizing.

@Jonny_Anonymous: Can you put your finger on why you don't Nauck's art?

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@randalmeister: It's the faces, they all look kind of squishy, especially round the cheekbone and eye area.
#19 Posted by randalmeister (84 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Fair enough. I've heard the same said about Terry Dodson's work (which I also love). I suppose that just doesn't bother me. Or, perhaps I have a subconscious thing for squishy faces. Hmmmm.....

#20 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, dat Thor!

#21 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

Tan, Booth, and Gomez really stand out this week. All the work shown is fantastic but for me, these guys brought it. Mahmud Asrar as well, but would like to see full body sketches, he's got a nice style.

That Hellcat by Tan has to be my favorite! His Hulk kicks some serious ass.

#22 Posted by Renchamp (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hulk pic was intense. All were great, but Hulk was the standout.

#23 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

Iggy Pop has a wiki page on the Vine!?! My love for this site has just increased TEN fold!

#24 Posted by galactusx (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Tuscan raider looks pretty cool. I also like thanos

#25 Posted by feargalr (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

Many great ones there, love the Dalek one in particular

#26 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Brett Booth's Superman and Catwoman for Earth - 2 are simply wonderful, as well as his depiction of Courtney Whitmore. Truly great!

#27 Posted by Vortex13 (12249 posts) - - Show Bio

Iggy Pop! I really liked Brett Booth's version of Stargirl.

#28 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that Dalek piece!!

"Eggs.....Eggs...Exterminate! Exterminate!"

#29 Edited by Wolverine0628 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, so many awesome ones today!  But my favorite is that Earth-2 Catwoman sketch.  Amazing! 

I feel kind of dumb, but I have to ask... who is this guy? 
#30 Posted by supermanfan1234 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

hope we get a cloured versionj of jim lees kal l

#31 Posted by mr_iq (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I never understood why ant-man is a hero or an avenger for that matter

"I am a super hero who can command ants.....tremble in fear argghh"

Nice drawings BTW...real talent guys.....good job

#32 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2140 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome art pics indeed

#33 Edited by judasnixon (6396 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to do a sketch of Chris Brown wearing an Antman helmet. 

#34 Posted by DocFishstick (241 posts) - - Show Bio

great

#35 Posted by G-Man (31631 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolverine0628: The Darkness. The second sketch by Daniel HDR is also of him.

Staff
#36 Posted by GeekyEverAfter (345 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW.. I absolutely love The Posion Ivy pic! I also really like the art pics of Batwoman, Batgirl, and my all time favorite Catwoman.

#37 Posted by Barkley (271 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the superman's new outfit but i like Earth 2 superman's better

#38 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6553 posts) - - Show Bio

THE FIRST 9 are AMAZING!

#39 Posted by Cavemold (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

The Thor one is awesome

#40 Posted by ARMIV2 (8409 posts) - - Show Bio

All very nice! Earth-Two Catwoman is looking pretty cool.

#41 Edited by sturmritter (57 posts) - - Show Bio

What a week for art! Your cornucopia of awesome art picks are outstanding this week, I can say with glee that I pretty much loved every single one. (Which, I think, is a first!) Standouts (for me anyways) include Peter Nguyen's Batgirl, Daniel HDR's wonder woman and huntress, Freddie Williams II Spiderman, and Phillip Tan's Hellcat, Brett Booth's Catwoman is great too. Heck, ALL OF THE ART THIS WEEK IS OUTSTANDING!

#42 Posted by captainadamant (19 posts) - - Show Bio

That Catwoman costume from Brett looks great. I wish they would use it in the main universe.

Not digging the Star Girl. Let's let the mid drifts die in the 90s.

#43 Posted by Wolverine0628 (398 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man
Oh okay, thanks.  I'm pretty unfamiliar with Top Cow characters, but he looks really cool.
#44 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Brett Booth continues to be terrible.

#45 Posted by thechessclub (497 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14 said:

Brett Booth continues to be terrible.

Did he steal your girlfriend or something? How you could single out him over Todd Nauck, I'll never know=P

#46 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Phillip Tan's Hulk is smashing, pun intended. He needs to at least guest art in a future issue of Hulk.

#47 Posted by McKlayn (1073 posts) - - Show Bio

Asrar's Emma was cool

#48 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@thechessclub: I think we've gone over this before but we can discuss him again.

Todd Nauck, i recognize as not the greatest artist. He's extremely stylized and his anatomy and facial features aren't perfectly accurate and are often exaggerated. The only lenience on the subject of Nauck I'll give you is that he's a source of nostalgia for me because I loved Young Justice when I was a kid and his work on the Teen Titans Go book. But the biggest difference between him and Brett Booth, and why Brett Booth is so terrible is that Nauck's style is intended to be cartoonish. His exaggerations of anatomy are obviously intentional and have a very specific flavor. Beyond the intentional animated style, Nauck's faces and figures are at least grounded in reality. Human bodies move the way he draws them and the faces are proportionate. I also appreciate very clean art.

Brett Booth, is also extremely stylized. And again the biggest difference between the two is that while Nauck aims for an animated/cartoon look, Brett Booth is desperately reaching for reality. And falling very very short. Let's discuss the images above.

The Superman, definitely one of his better drawings. But let's investigate the figure closely. Immediately i spot the tiny fists and the scrunchy, squishy faces that plague all of his humans. His arms, are wonky and angular. The arm on the left pointed down looks like a huge chuck was scooped out of it and slapped onto the opposite side of the forearm. Superman's waist is also incredibly slender underneath a very barrel chest with very solid abs that don't contour to his pose. Thankfully the legs in this image are primarily proportionate until you get to the anorexic ankle and the diamond shape representing a foot. There's also an excessive amount of distracting lines that show he's clearly intending for this image to be an accurate representation of the human body and it's just not.

Catwoman. I generally like the design of the costume which I know he designed, I think it's a pretty cool look as a whole. But unfortunately we have a very disproportionate human female attempting to masquerade as an accurate depiction of human form. The Head shape looks wonky due to the pointy representation of ears beneath the mask and the lack of jaw line. We also have another case of squishy face. Unless Selina has gained hyper-intelligent brain powers that have widened her forehead and caused her facial features to sink to the bottom of her face? Or maybe she's tilting her head down, but based on the placement of the catears and her neck positioning she's not doing that either. The poor woman has the shoulders of an 11 year old with noodley barbie arms. Her boobs start right below her collar bones which is both inaccurate and grotesque. Beneath the two balloons stuffed into her cat suit is the delicate waist of a fragile under fed supermodel that does not belong on an athletic form of a catburglar nor should it lead to the most bodacious mom-hips to rock this world. Her mcdonalds-fed booty is supported by a male body builder's powerful man thighs struggling against gravity due to the lack of support from the gentle lady legs below them, crippling beneath the weight of her grotesque upper legs that they are buckling beneath her in what looks to be an incredibly uncomfortable pose. Again we have thin ankles.

Should I bother to explain what's wrong with Stargirl? No? That's fine. But all of that ^ is why I prefer Nauck to Booth.

#49 Posted by Man of Lengend (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

these are sick

#50 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14: No, actually the art is good.

Why don't you have a go and post it?