tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By tonis
No Caption Provided

Sorry for the delay putting this up this month, got so back logged I didn't even realize I hadn't posted it.

Some details have been adjusted in the past few months so please review to make sure you know the deal:

TIMELINE: It's open for work created from the 1st of the month untill the end of the month. There will be 14 days of polling after and winners of each category will be announced on the 15th.

RULES TO ENTER: It would be chaos without them, so here's the premise.

1) There's no set theme, an artist can post any work they've done within that month but they must choose ONE FOR ANY MEDIUM THEY CHOOSE TO ENTER by the deadline (defaults to their most recent unless specified).

2) For their submission choice they MUST include the following information when posting:

MEDIUM : Traditional / Digital / B&W / Color / Web Comic (required - if you don't specify which medium that it's for, it's not a submission)

REASONS FOR CHOOSING : (not required - but offers insight into the artists creative thought)

SUPPLIES / DESCRIPTION : (not required - but offers insight into the artists creative process)

POLLING: the first 14 days of the next month voters will be able to submit there choices for the following criteria before the winners are announced:

All votes will also apply as points to the 'Artist of the Year' ladder which you can track at THIS THREAD HERE.

MEDIUMS:(pick what you feel your entry fits under)

Best Traditional Drawing (paper/pencil/ink/paint/canvas)

Best Digital (tablet/3d/photo)

Best B&W

Best Color

Web Comic / Strip / Panels

For this category you may submit a sample (1 IMAGE) of any Web Comic/Strip/Panel layout that you've produced for 2011. In the case of web comics you should also provide a link to where to view the entire comic.

GENRES:(You don't submit to these below, they are chosen from all entries above)

Comedy
Horror
Originality
Special FX

PROGRESS:

Most Improved

Each vote will count as a point for the artist and the one with the highest point count will be considered the overall 'Artist of the Month'. Voters can vote once for all criteria or just the ones that they can come up with a choice. I know there's no glory of picking the next theme but it does offer an artist a chance to focus more on different areas of their work and get a decent idea of what parts of their work people do like.

Here's hoping all you great artists can pluck something out of your monthly pieces to submit :)

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ARMIV2

Hopefully I'll be able to get something in for this one...

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rocketpig
  I'll add this to color. I'll probably have more for the sequential art category in the coming weeks.
 I'll add this to color. I'll probably have more for the sequential art category in the coming weeks.
madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By madrid_san

Here is my Hope. I submit it to the B&W and traditional

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

I'll put this in for digital :) 

No Caption Provided
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Raven0207
@tonis said:
No Caption Provided

Sorry for the delay putting this up this month, got so back logged I didn't even realize I hadn't posted it.

Slacker !!!!!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tonis

@Raven0207: hehe, yea this month has been killing me trying to keep up with things. Vacations are nice, but damn if you don't fall behind.

Well it looks like we're getting some sweet entrys for August, all 3 of those kick ass guys. :)

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By MrUnknown

The Search for Female Furies for Traditional :)

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for captaincockblock
CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CaptainCockblock

Web Comic

No Caption Provided
The rest of this comic can be found here or here.
ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ARMIV2
 B&W.
 B&W.
 Traditional.
 Traditional.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tonis

@MrUnknown: hehe, I can't get enough of the Power Puffs :)

@CaptainCockblock: wow man, that cover came out really awesome :)

@ARMIV2: awesome, you got RR in there :)

SteveRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SteveRodgers

I'll go for Black and White
i chose this because this is one I'm pretty proud of.

No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tonis

@SteveRodgers: awesome job on ole JJ, you got him down pat :)

SteveRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SteveRodgers

thanks

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ARMIV2
@tonis
@SteveRodgers:  
...Okay, this is completely random, but your avatars are so similar that "next" to each other...makes me laugh a little. 

It's late. I should get to sleep or something. 
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tonis

@ARMIV2 said:

@tonis:
@SteveRodgers: ...Okay, this is completely random, but your avatars are so similar that "next" to each other...makes me laugh a little. It's late. I should get to sleep or something.

hahaha, yea it does, mine has been there since day one so I'm pretty sure I'm not changing it unless some cosmic force makes me ;)

SteveRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SteveRodgers
@tonis
yah, and my user name is Steve Rodgers so i had to have both Steve and Cap in there
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tonis

ok this is definitely gonna end up my panels entry for the month. Thanks to Raven0207 & M.S. Feather's weekly art quest I manged to do something a little different.

Possibly the grossest thing I've made yet XD

Avengers : Quarantined
Avengers : Quarantined
mfundo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mfundo
@tonis
Funny and awesome. Thor looks kinda like a surfer dude than an Asgardian.
mfundo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mfundo

This is a traditional drawing of Willow. 

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@mfundo: Nice work, Mfundo : )

@tonis: lol Gross :P
scotsman151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scotsman151
No Caption Provided

Batman and Robin 
In Black and White, and Traditional 
Pen Ink and Pencil
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Aronmorales

Okay, here're my submissions!
 For B&W:

No Caption Provided

For Color:
No Caption Provided
Renee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Renee
@mfundo
I love it. 
Awesome job mfundo! :) 
ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ARMIV2
@Aronmorales: No way Sub-Zero doesn't get my vote.
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Aronmorales
@ARMIV2: Thank you.
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rocketpig

I'll sneak preview an upcoming Variables page (won't release for ten days or so) in the webcomic category. I'm really happy with how this one turned out. As always, you can read the comic over at SelfCentEnt.com

No Caption Provided
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rocketpig

Dude, I don't know what it is about ComicVine's uploader but it completely buggers my jpegs. The quality is absolute crap. 

The jpeg I have stored locally looks soooooo much better than that mess. Meh.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tonis

@rocketpig said:

Dude, I don't know what it is about ComicVine's uploader but it completely buggers my jpegs. The quality is absolute crap. The jpeg I have stored locally looks soooooo much better than that mess. Meh.

wow has that story kicked in, very awesome buddy :)

No matter what you do on your end, if you use JPG, the uploader recompresses it and it doesn't use Max (I'm not sure it even uses HIGH). It definitely does a job on some colors and gradients.

Only use PNG for your exported artwork uploads, the file format doesn't use compression and it can't be recompressed on this end then. You'll see a big difference ;)

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rocketpig

Ah, that makes sense. Unfortunately, if I save those images as PNGs, they're monstrously large. But in the case of uploading them here, I may start doing that just so they don't look so terrible. 

BTW, if you click on the image, you can see the uncompressed version that looks how it is supposed to look.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

about time I entered one of these things... 
Entry for Tradional 
Done with  .5/.7 mechanical pencil and 11x17 Bristol Board 

No Caption Provided
MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By MuadDiab
Traditional drawn/Digital Color 
Traditional drawn/Digital Color 
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rocketpig
@Mrfuzzynutz: Very nice work, man!
ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ARMIV2
@Mrfuzzynutz said:
about time I entered one of these things... 
Entry for Tradional 
Done with  .5/.7 mechanical pencil and 11x17 Bristol Board 

No Caption Provided
Oh wow, I am in love with this!
kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By kiss_lamia

Ah its been a while so im gonna submitt my Leather Punk Emma Frost Costume Piece for my Digital Piece

No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tonis

@Mrfuzzynutz: awesome to get some of your work in here, and a personal fav of subject choices. She looks both sweet and lethal :)

@MuadDiab: another great character choice. Guy was my favorite part of the 90's Justice League titles :)

@rocketpig said:

Ah, that makes sense. Unfortunately, if I save those images as PNGs, they're monstrously large. But in the case of uploading them here, I may start doing that just so they don't look so terrible. BTW, if you click on the image, you can see the uncompressed version that looks how it is supposed to look.

well as long as you don't mess with the 'master' file what I'd recommend is when your ready to upload to a site like here or deviant is

1) export out to a PNG

2) load the 'image size' settings of the exported PNG and resample the resolution down to 72 pixels per inch. Anything higher is for print and since these are for screens that's where the unneeded size is happening.

at 72 dots per inch you should be able to look at your image full screen at 100% zoom and what you see is what you get. (if it's monstrously larger and you have to scroll to see it all, then resize the width and height accordingly till it's the size you want it for screen)

In the end a typical PNG with a width of 800-1000 pixels by a height of 600-1200 pixels shouldn't be more than 1 to 1.5 megs in size. Small enough for the web and with the quality you expect for your artwork ;)

Different image editors do this a little different but if it's photoshop your using it's under IMAGE / IMAGE SIZE, and the real key to resampling the resolution is ensuring the 'Resample Image' box is checked when you bring down the resolution.

rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rocketpig

Oh, I know how to resize an image for export, it's just that a png (since it's a lossless format) consumes far more space than a plain ol' jpeg. 

I consider images sizes over 500kb to be completely unacceptable for web use. It may be the web designer in me (been doing it for a decade now) but the server load created by a 1.5mb image is pretty heavy. Imagine you're in a thread of ten images being viewed by ten people. If you have 300kb images (about where my comic jpegs usually fall), those ten images delivered to ten people mean your server is uploading about 30 megabytes of data to the end user. Use a 1.5mb png (about where my images convert using that format) and that same upload jumps to a whopping 150 megabytes of data. Multiply that by a thousand and you start to see why I work to keep file sizes small. 

I see a lot of webcomics use 750kb+ files and suffer from server lag, which ends with me being bored while the next page loads and possibly leaving because I don't like waiting five seconds for the next page. Really high quality files are nice but files sizes jump exponentially for very little fidelity gain after a certain point. If not for ComicVine's uploader, my jpegs actually look really nice and stay around 300kb, which is pretty good for an 800x1250 image.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz
@rocketpig: Much appreciated my friend
Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz
@tonis: Thanks dude, I have to be honest I have found the process slightly confusing in the past but I think I have figured it out, and I also just run out of time as I liked to post different work for different sites and challenges...But I do find I run out of time to do it all lol 
Glad you liked, I wanted to capture her tough and sexy,  
Like you want to flirt and sleep with her, but you know she would crack your jaw with her mace for trying lol
doczola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By doczola

Okay, I would like to enter this classy bit of artwork. Inspired by the king. 

This is actually a two page story for the back of my comic (Which is now in print, details on that in another post soon.). I'll post the entire thing tonight too. 
Just like the rest of my work, this is Sharpie colored in Photoshop. I had to force myself to mute the colors like a 60's comic. 

The fact that he looks like he's 30 and just now going through Puberty just makes me laugh at it even more. 

Jack Kirby's : PUBERTY! 

No Caption Provided
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By Raven0207

Ok Time for my entries ! Let see where to start . 

Traditional 

Lupin gone Steampunk! 
Lupin gone Steampunk! 

B&W 
Wolverine #1 Cover Recreation 
Wolverine #1 Cover Recreation 

Color : My Mona Lisa ! 6 months in the making ! 
No Caption Provided

Web Comic 
No Caption Provided
payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By payno

I've posted a lot of artwork this month so it was difficult to choose, but here they are... 

Webcomic/B&W

Digital/Colour

DomDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By DomDom
@payno
OhMyWord!  
This is the first i saw the Cap and Bullseye one. 
So....intensely-thrilling...and sad.  I literally gasped at the last panel, lol didn't see it coming (i mean i did, but didn't). 
Nice job as always =)
payno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By payno
@DomDom:  Thanks. 

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tonis

IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ

sorry for the delay folks, I lost power last weekend after the hurricane and then headed out for DragonCon in Atlanta before getting it back.

So I've been incredibly behind since. There's some fantastic entries for this month and I can't wait to collect them up and show them off.

I'm going to postpone the polls for a few days until the convention is over and I have the time to do things right.

So anyone who didn't manage to get your entries in yet, your welcome to submit them still and I'll be getting the polls up on 9/7 when I get back home to my own computers.

Thanks for your patience and understanding everyone, we're gonna have some great stuff to see for August. :)

jennifermontes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47  Edited By jennifermontes
@tonis: Have fun at DragonCon! I'll be hanging out at the parade on Saturday. :D

I must be really lucky because this morning I woke up and said, "Crap! I forgot to submit to the showcase yesterday!!" But now I have another chance!

Here are my entries for this month:  

Digital:
I started this one off with a small, rough sketch in my notebook. I didn't bother cleaning it up the sketch and just left it as a top layer on multiply so the sketch would always show. Then I started adding shadows and lights in a layer underneath. Once I was satisfied with the figure, I gave the whole thing a brownish tone so it wouldn't look so gray and sketched in the throne with a rough textured brush.
Skeletor
Skeletor
Traditional: 
This was painted in gouache on 11" x 14" illustration board. It took about 20 hours of work from concept to completion. The initial thumbnail was done in my notebook but I did a more detailed drawing / value study / color study on the computer. Once I was satisfied, I printed out the drawing and transferred it to the board.

The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man
Black and white: 
This was done with a Sharpie pen directly in my notebook. I drew a very tight pencil sketch first (except without the scales / shading) and that took about 3 hours because I was trying to figure out the perspective on the bricks. It's funny how the background was the most time-consuming element.

Kama Chameleon
 Kama Chameleon
Reasons for choosing:
This is the first time that I've participated in the Comic Vine art forums, and these are my first 3 submissions!
MuadDiab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By MuadDiab

If Payno doesn't win I'll eat my hat, or alternatively, my entry...... which is digital, so that may be difficult

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#49  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Looking at all the other submissions I don't really think i'd win, but don't really care :)
so without further ado...

Webcomic

No Caption Provided
for full enjoyment: follow this link to see the actual comic

REASONS FOR CHOOSING : um...well...I don't pertisipate much in the art section, but I really enjoyed making this comic.