Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By tonis

who will win one?
 who will win one?

Well the winners of March have been announced and a big congrats to our Artist of The Month HarlequinKiss

Some details have been adjusted since last month so please review to make sure you know the deal: 
TIMELINE: It's open for work created from the 1st of the month untill the end of the month. There will be 7 days of polling after and winners of each category will be announced.

RULES TO ENTER: It would be chaos without them, so here's the premise.
1) There's no set theme, an artist can post any work they've done within that month but they must choose ONE FOR ANY MEDIUM THEY CHOOSE TO ENTER by the deadline (defaults to their most recent unless specified).
2) For their submission choice they MUST include the following information when posting: 
MEDIUM : (required - if you don't specify which medium that it's for, it's not a submission) 
 REASONS FOR CHOOSING : (not required - but offers insight into the artists creative thought) 
SUPPLIES / DESCRIPTION : (not required - but offers insight into the artists creative process)

POLLING: the first 7 days of the next month voters will be able to submit there choices for the following criteria before the next event starts:
 MEDIUMS:
Best Traditional Drawing (paper/pencil/ink/paint/canvas)
Best Digital (tablet/3d/photo)
Best B&W
Best Color 

GENRES:
Comedy 
Horror 
Originality 
Special FX

PROGRESS:
Most Improved

*NEW CATEGORY*
Web Comic / Strip / Panels
For this category you may submit a sample (1 IMAGE) of any Web Comic/Strip/Panel layout that you've produced for 2011. In the case of web comics you should also provide a link to where to view the entire comic.

Each vote will count as a point for the artist and the one with the highest point count will be considered the overall 'Artist of the Month'. Voters can vote once for all criteria or just the ones that they can come up with a choice. I know there's no glory of picking the next theme but it does offer an artist a chance to focus more on different areas of their work and get a decent idea of what parts of their work people do like.

Here's hoping all you great artists can pluck something out of your monthly pieces to submit :)
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By rocketpig

Cool, glad to see the webcomic addition. I just finished my first page for this month (slacked for a week or two) but I don't think it's good enough to submit. Hopefully one of the later pages will turn out more to my satisfaction.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tonis
@rocketpig said:
" Cool, glad to see the webcomic addition. I just finished my first page for this month (slacked for a week or two) but I don't think it's good enough to submit. Hopefully one of the later pages will turn out more to my satisfaction. "
yea I'm excited about that category, there's a lot of web comics I've found from viners that are worth checking out.
On this category you've got a little more flexibility as to what you show. As long as it's from 2011 it doesn't have to be something produced this month.
Given the time it takes to produce some it makes more sense.
Just choose wisely the sample image and link you'll point the audience to. I would figure using the cover is the logical choice but it's up to the artist.
frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By frischdvh

Medium: Pencils, inks, and/or coloring.

Reason why: It is Captain America, my favorite MARVEL character. I liked how it came together. I liked the redesign of of the costume.

I drew it, inked it and colored it all within 48 hours on a caffiene laden art binge.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tonis
@FrischDVH: ahh, know those caffiene induced bouts of creativity all too well :)
nice choice Frisch, I can put it in for both 'traditional' and the 'color' mediums unless you'd like to use something else as well for one of them.
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rocketpig
@tonis said:
" @rocketpig said:
" Cool, glad to see the webcomic addition. I just finished my first page for this month (slacked for a week or two) but I don't think it's good enough to submit. Hopefully one of the later pages will turn out more to my satisfaction. "
yea I'm excited about that category, there's a lot of web comics I've found from viners that are worth checking out.
On this category you've got a little more flexibility as to what you show. As long as it's from 2011 it doesn't have to be something produced this month.
Given the time it takes to produce some it makes more sense.
Just choose wisely the sample image and link you'll point the audience to. I would figure using the cover is the logical choice but it's up to the artist.
"
Well, I figure I'll enter every month and I finish 4-5 pages per month so I'll probably stick to whatever I finish that month (plus, that way it will be new material and not stuff people may have already seen).
ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ARMIV

Hmmm...lemme see if I can get something new in soon...
kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By kiss_lamia
@FrischDVH:  Awesome colour piece :D
DomDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By DomDom

Here's a b&w i sketched up yesterday.

I may enter in another pic later on, but not sure.

Zack Fair from Final Fantasy. =)

Zack Fair By: DomDom
Zack Fair By: DomDom

I used: pencils.

Cat vs Cat
Cat vs Cat

I'll enter the kittens here for colored. =)

I used: pencils, small felt pen, then digitally went bucket crazy for the coloring. =)

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tonis
@DomDom: nice Dom, glad to see having the new toy hasn't deterred hitting the pencils a lil too :)
Can work for traditional and/or b&w.
DomDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DomDom

@tonis:
Thanks Tonis! =)

Yeah, a wacom it awesome, but i still have the undying will to want to

grab my pencil and paper whenever and wherever i am. 

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tonis
@DomDom said:
"

@tonis:
Thanks Tonis! =)

Yeah, a wacom it awesome, but i still have the undying will to want to

grab my pencil and paper whenever and wherever i am. 

"
hehe, eventually you gotta get one of those Asus tablets with the 13' screens and built in wacom pen support like DavidR got recently.
He mentioned taking it to the movie theater and drawing while kicking back, now that's gotta be cool.
Got mine ordered and slated for shipping on 4/20 :)
DomDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DomDom

@tonis:
Whoa, cool! =)

Kickin back in the movie theater drawing, ey?  hehe.

Congrats on the order. =)

DomDom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DomDom
@M.S. Feather:
Thank You. =)
ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ARMIV

I've got three new pieces to choose from, but I can't make up my mind on which one I want to submit.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tonis
@ARMIV said:
" I've got three new pieces to choose from, but I can't make up my mind on which one I want to submit. "
definitely the third is a GREAT B&W candidate, and the first has a great mood that I'd say makes a nice traditional. ;)
ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ARMIV
For Traditional

For B&W

Avatar image for deactivated-64fa9d029dbb3
deactivated-64fa9d029dbb3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow. Been living under a rock apparently. Will be doing this!!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tonis
@MJohnson said:
" Oh wow. Been living under a rock apparently. Will be doing this!! "
great to hear we'll be getting to see some of your work in the showcase. There's several categories you'll find perfect for your style ;)
ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ARMIV

@M.S. Feather: Well that's mighty awesome to hear, thank you!
jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By jamesewelch

A few questions....

What would it be called if you draw your artwork (traditional), scan it, then trace over it using a tablet (digital) and clean up the lines in Illustrator/Photoshop/etc. Is that a mixed medium? It starts out as a traditional, but the end product looks like a digital medium artwork.

Does Best Color require that you created the source/pencils? Or can you submit an artwork (which you got permission to use) where you only colored it?

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tonis
@jamesewelch said:
" A few questions....What would it be called if you draw your artwork (traditional), scan it, then trace over it using a tablet (digital) and clean up the lines in Illustrator/Photoshop/etc. Is that a mixed medium? It starts out as a traditional, but the end product looks like a digital medium artwork.Does Best Color require that you created the source/pencils? Or can you submit an artwork (which you got permission to use) where you only colored it? "
good questions. I'd thought about the hybrids and did a poll on what people consider a tablet to fall under. By itself the consensus seemed to be tablets alone are digital, however in the case as you've described that's really a mix and could qualify as traditional or digital in my opinion. You are welcome to put a piece like that in ether category based on the workflow. I would recommend however that if the digital part is overwhelmingly obvious (special fx / imaging / etc) it might be better to use it there. You could also put the image as it was before the digital phase in traditional, and then use the latter in digital. Since you can put one entry per medium I'll leave it to the artists to decide what they wanna use where.

For the 'color' and 'b&w' categories the only real criteria is they be either one of those. There have been a few duotones and tritones however that have managed to sort of fit both.
On the submitting a piece for coloring not drawn by you I'd say as long as it's a fan drawn piece and not commercial art, and the artist is willing to give permission either in the thread or via PMing me I don't see why not. Permission and giving proper credit would be an important part of allowing that.
Avatar image for captaincockblock
CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By CaptainCockblock

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jamesewelch
MEDIUM: Best Color 
GENRES:
Special FX

Supplies/Tools:
Adobe Illustrator (inking, cleanup, etc.)
Adobe Photoshop (coloring, background, etc.)

Original/source pencils at: http://red-j.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3c21a4

digitally inked and colored by myself, pencils by red-j (deviant art username)

CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CaptainCockblock

One more entry.

No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tonis
@CaptainCockblock: I like the entries cap, but you gotta tell me what is what, please don't make me guess. For these you got a traditional and B&W category that you can pick something to enter, let me know what's going where.

@jamesewelch: great job on the inks and really great job on the colors. That'd make a killer poster for the wall.

@M.S. Feather:  Hmm, I'm gonna have to get the pimp hand back in shape now that you reminded me :)
always enjoy your approach with the colors, takes me back to the late 80's when the indies started adding color to their fuzzy animals. I like soft skin tones.
This looks like a night at my buddies, where's there's always someone thinking they got the winning arm. Looks like these guys are gonna go till one of them gets ripped off.
jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jamesewelch
@tonis:  Thanks. The line work artist had some nice clean lines and great pencils on the source drawing, so a lot of credit goes to the source for good source material.
jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jamesewelch
@M.S. Feather:  lol, you should stop by the Color Jam thread and pick up some line work and practice. ;) Sometimes, it's just the line work that lends itself to good coloring. I suck at a lot of colorings just because I only have basic/foundation skills. I still need to work on highlights and shadows/shading techniques and theories.
CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CaptainCockblock
@tonis:
Best Traditional Drawing (paper/pencil/ink/paint/canvas)- Comedy- Dalek Riding
No Caption Provided

Best B&W- Originality- The Next Doctor/Navigator

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Most Improved- Superman: Broken Steel poster

No Caption Provided

thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By thegreatfour
@CaptainCockblock: Awesome
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tonis
@CaptainCockblock: now we're narrowing it down a little, cept some categories aren't open to submissions as they encompass all the entries for the month. For instance 'improved' or 'original'.
The mediums are the ones that take submissions, 'traditional', 'digital', 'color', 'b&w', and 'web comic'. Those are the categories you can pick one to enter in. All the 'genres' and such are open to entrees from those mediums.

So we've got 'Dalek Riding' for the 'traditional' at this point, and you can pick one of the others for the 'b&w'. (I really dig that broken steel if I was to pick one)
If you get any colors in there before May you can also throw one in there as well.
Oh and you can also submit your web comic for that category, just do me a favor and post a link to the full book, pick one image to represent it (or the thread page gets monstrously large), like the cover or something like that.
CaptainCockblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CaptainCockblock
@tonis: Right then, Broken Steel is my submission for B&W.
Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By Edgeworth_11

My Gambit done by pencil crayons and a marker. It's like 95% done but I am pretty happy with it.
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By Project_Worm

No Caption Provided
Since this drawing got the most votes that I have ever gotten for anything EVER I thought it would be smart to enter this.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tonis
@Edgeworth_11: awesome to get you in the showcase, you've got some great coloring to show off.

@Project_Worm: very good choice and yes, that was a HUGE fan favorite. Really great costume designing with that one.

I can put these both under the 'traditional' and 'color' medium. If either of you have additional pieces you'd like to use you can use one of those two categories with something else as well. :)
kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kiss_lamia

Ok this is my digital piece Lilith's Cave By The Red Sea

No Caption Provided
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tonis
@kiss_lamia: ahh it's good to be back eh :)
Kick ass for the digital medium.
kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kiss_lamia
@tonis:  yeah its good to be back and able to post lol :) thanks glad you like it babes :)
J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By J1ml33

I know it`s been awhile but I have been a little busy writing /designing new stuff for my web comic , but in between doing all of that good stuff I Have made a few new pin-ups . so for the my entry into the artist showcase  I Will show one off for all you lovely ,good people . so without further a due . my first entry ladies and gentlemen .

Ursla Paloma ( Stalker Pin-Up )

No Caption Provided

MEDIUM :  digtal (black and white ) drawing
 REASONS FOR CHOOSING : my first reason for choosing this piece here is to show off a new charater that is set to appere in my web comic sometime soon this summer (will not say when ) , this is very much a resign of an old first poorly colored concept I did back in 2009 before I set up my site/blog , also I was going for something of an  S&M latex priest dress combo with her costume , but with it being completely black with very little highlights to give it the look actual glossiness  of real latex . (also I  had just created this character to be an ruthless killer with a obsession to out do/ out perform the already vast competition already working in the criminal underworld . ) also she is a masochist /cutter . lastly this is a piece I am very proud of in a long while .
SUPPLIES / DESCRIPTION : (not required - but offers insight into the artists creative process)
  I used a Bamboo ( digital tablet ) and Manga Studio to create the drawing from scratch :D 

and there you have it .
and happy Easter everyone .
(hopefully soon I will post some more when time allows , but for now it`s back to the ol drawing board or in this case the old sketchbook )
Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By Raven0207

I have to finish mine that you had a sneak peak at Toni!

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tonis
@Raven0207 said:
" I have to finish mine that you had a sneak peak at Toni! "
great, that'll make for an awesome entry. Can't wait to see.
I still haven't decided on what I'm gonna use for what yet this month but I think for the 'digital' category I'm gonna go with my battle pic of the Black Cat vs Catwoman.
Black Cat vs Catwoman
Black Cat vs Catwoman
MEDIUM: 3D (Digital)
TOOLS: Poser 2010
REASONS:
1) it's two of the sexiest kitties in comics
2) 100% done in 3D, no Photoshop postwork needed
3) I was really happy with the effect the lighting technique I used produced

J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By J1ml33
@tonis:  excellent choice :D
rocketpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By rocketpig

I'll toss this up for the webcomic portion of the contest. You can find the rest at SelfCentEnt.com.

No Caption Provided

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49  Edited By Edgeworth_11
@tonis:
wow nice! how did you make it? i am very beginner at 3D art. haha
rocketpig

Forum Posts