• 73 results
#1 Edited by Shatterstar (4551 posts) - - Show Bio

Well last showdown's default winner was Caligula (who went out on top so to speak and got himself banned apparently), so I'm keeping the showdowns running.  

The next subject:   

Sunfire

If we get 5 entries I'll give $25 to Red Cross for Japan relief. 10 entries 50 bucks.  

Oh yea deadline is April 3rd midnight PST. 
#2 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shatterstar: damn, I'm tweaking on Cal getting banned, that's a big suck on the sphincter scale. 
Like the choice on the contest, and most noble of intent, for sure I'm in.
#3 Posted by spawndon (1373 posts) - - Show Bio

the 1990s costume for more reference:

#4 Posted by Achilles. (3847 posts) - - Show Bio

My entry is coming in a few minutes.....

#5 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

ouch... I feel bad about Caligula. 
Hope he returns later on.... 

I am for this for the cause and for the love of the fire wielder from Japan

#6 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait how he get banned!! tell us so we dont repeat that mistake!!!

#7 Posted by Achilles. (3847 posts) - - Show Bio

Im having trouble with my laptop so it may take a while

#8 Edited by Achilles. (3847 posts) - - Show Bio

" There's a feeling inside me, a feeling that burns, a feeling that fires through me"     
#9 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Never mind, I saw why he got banned!!! The last topic he posted on, got him banned.... boy shouldnt have gone all nuts... 
@Achilles.: Nice one Achilles!!!

#10 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

He got banned? Hopefully it's not permanent. He was always cool to me.

I'll try to cook something up for this. Sunfire's underrated.

#11 Posted by Achilles. (3847 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool1109: Thnx, Its not the complete one Im currently making it better
#12 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio
@Achilles.: Sounds good!! 
@Gambit1024: Check his profile and see the last place he was posting!!
#13 Posted by DomDom (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in! 
#14 Posted by DomDom (1013 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@DomDom:
Ooh me likey
#16 Posted by spawndon (1373 posts) - - Show Bio
@DomDom: Miss, you are the Flash in real-life.
#17 Posted by DomDom (1013 posts) - - Show Bio
@spawndon: 
=D I sure do wish so!  Thanks =) 

@Gambit1024: 
Thanks! =)

Hope we can see you both enter! =)
#18 Edited by The Lobster (1517 posts) - - Show Bio

This character doesn't really interest me.

But since it's for charity, I'll give it a go.

Also where's the next Amalgam Contest, it's been almost a week and no new contest.

#19 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

lol poor Caligula, this is why I don't even go into other subforums. 

#20 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
Great idea. I'll enter also
#21 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure this gets said a lot, but man we have a very talented group here at the Vine.

I bow to all of you people's talent.

#22 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@Achilles.: very nice, I like the wild fiery look, I get that feeling he has occasionally too but it's usually from spicy foods :) 

@DomDom: now that's good emotional drama, amazing what a tear and a favorite pet can add to a scene. 
Cool look how you mixed the fiery parts in his suit with the black, good job Speedy. :)
#23 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@Achilles.: @DomDom:  Nice work guys!  It's barely been a day and this thread is already off to a great start (wish I had your work ethics!).

@Shatterstar: That's very generous of you.  I'll be sure to get my submission posted up soon. : )
#24 Edited by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok so the images Ive used arent mine, just downloaded some and I wanted to try some photomanip... Im not good at it, so i figured that I can try it here and get valuable criticism and advice here.. :D  

Its basically an image of a sunfire statue which I coloured red and a little yellow here and there in one layer, and added the flame in another layer and skewed it here and there. a bunch of other laers to give it the lighting (soft light, screen, vivid light etc)... If its not legitimate for the contest, I'm ok with that... I just thought I'd give this a shot. :D cheers! 

EDIT- After a couple of tips from tonis, I tweaked it just a wee bit!!!

#25 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio
@DomDom:  Very very nice!! beautifully done!!
#26 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool1109: very good experimenting with photoshop DP. Isn't fire a blast to experiment with. You're getting good results with mixing and mashing the layers together and trying different blending modes for your flames. 
It's got a high level of realism :)
#27 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis: Thanks tonis!! Fire is fun, especially warping it around to fit the figure... thats the easy part, I was literally going through blending modes over and over and over again to see which would look better. I essentially took this picture of a statue figurine of sunfire and fooled around with it... :D  
Any advice to make it better?
#28 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool1109 said:
" @tonis: Thanks tonis!! Fire is fun, especially warping it around to fit the figure... thats the easy part, I was literally going through blending modes over and over and over again to see which would look better. I essentially took this picture of a statue figurine of sunfire and fooled around with it... :D  Any advice to make it better? "
I think it was extremely creative how you worked that from a statue pic. 
lol @ going through blending modes. If I could add up all the hours I spend going through them, and then back, and then back again. Seems I spend more time playing with them than I do anything else in photoshop :) 
If I was to give any suggestions to adding to this I'd say try throwing a few flame layers in the back of the character (with a copy of the character also) and give them a perspective blur (not the radial but the other) with it pointing off center to the right slightly. Then he'll have like a 3d heat trail behind him and it'll give it a little more of a 'motion depth' feel.
#29 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis: Now that sounds like fun!!! Maybe I'll give that a shot and put it up... 
Yeah Its good fun to play around with everything, Cs5 is pretty fun to use. :D Its also got some 3d tools although I havent fooled with them yet. Doubt I will.. :P thats your department. 
Thanks for the tip.. Ill give it a shot later.. at office right now.. so Im sneaking in and out of the vine and anything else Im using.. ha ha!!
#30 Posted by DomDom (1013 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool1109:
@M.S. Feather:
@tonis: 

Thanks to all! =) 
And cool classic dp. =)
#31 Posted by soundbite (463 posts) - - Show Bio

so what's the rules on this contest, just simply draw the guy or new costume design...or what?
#32 Posted by IcePrince_X (4865 posts) - - Show Bio

beautiful rendition deadpool! wow!

#33 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio

#34 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio
@Agent Buttons said:
"
"
so sweeeet.
#35 Posted by Achilles. (3847 posts) - - Show Bio
@Agent Buttons: DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I gotta change my entry.....
#36 Posted by M.S. Feather (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
@deadpool1109: Photo manips used to be LT's milieu and he managed to bag a few victories, so I'd say your submission is welcome. ; )

The fiery aura you added around his form was a nice effect by the way.  It really makes him look like he's burning rubber (err spandex) through the atmosphere.

@Agent Buttons: Do you remember those old anime action shows from the eighties that sometimes ended with an epic freeze frame of the hero which turned hyper detailed as the narrator summed up things?  That's totally what that looks like.  Awesome...
#37 Edited by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather said:

@Agent Buttons: Do you remember those old anime action shows from the eighties that sometimes ended with an epic freeze frame of the hero which turned hyper detailed as the narrator summed up things?  That's totally what that looks like.  Awesome... "

ahh the 80's and anime, alls I can say is BATTLE OF THE PLANETS!!! , G-Force RULED!!! :) 

@soundbite said:

" so what's the rules on this contest, just simply draw the guy or new costume design...or what? "

This ones just the normal contest, no need to make new costumes or anything, can just pick a version from anytime in their career. 

@Agent Buttons: beautiful rendition, always like the portrait shots like that. Great detailing throughout, especially on the mask.
#38 Posted by The Lobster (1517 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my entry.
#39 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Lobster : very nice Lobster, now THAT is a kick ass action pose. :)
#40 Posted by The Lobster (1517 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis:  Thank Man, you going to enter? Every submission counts.
#41 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Lobster said:
" @tonis:  Thank Man, you going to enter? Every submission counts. "
most definitely, when Shatterstar makes the call it's hard not to answer it. Got a few things to get out of the way and 2 machines to replace but slowly and surely I'll get the match lit :)
#42 Posted by The Lobster (1517 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis said:
" @The Lobster said:
" @tonis:  Thank Man, you going to enter? Every submission counts. "
most definitely, when Shatterstar makes the call it's hard not to answer it. Got a few things to get out of the way and 2 machines to replace but slowly and surely I'll get the match lit :) "
Sweet, I look forward to seeing it. 
#43 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent character suggestion by Shatterstar and excellent work already popping up.  So much talent by the Vine artists!
#44 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio
@M.S. Feather: Thanks man!! The Aura idea was something tonis advised me to try out.. well he actually said get a motion blur sort of thing in, but it turned out like that.. :D 
@DomDom: Thanks Dom! :D 
@IcePrince_X:
#45 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm not really the artistic type but since this is for a good cause i thought i'd try my hand at it. just started with a simple sketch then scaned it in to illustrator
#46 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

thought i'd add the rising sun in 

#47 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK: Ha ha ha... Thats damn cool man!!! very nicely done.. I love that expression.
#48 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK: second deadpools sentiments, very damn cool :) 
I would say you got a lot more 'artistic type' in you then you give yourself credit cause that's most impressive my friend. Nice upgrade with the rising sun too.
#49 Posted by deadpool1109 (429 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis: Wherefore areth thou enty???
#50 Posted by payno (983 posts) - - Show Bio