Guidelines for Showdowns/Contests/Faceoffs
All rules are subject to change depending on popular demand:
- Anyone can enter, regardless of skill level.
- Art must be of YOUR own creation (unless its a collaboration in which case give proper credit). If you suspect someone is breaking this rule please PM me or another moderator.
- Art must be started and completed in the timeframe of the showdown. Its not fair to post a piece you worked on for a month when the deadline of the showdown is a week. Likewise send a PM to a mod if this rule is broken with evidence.
- Deadlines should be kept reasonable- no less than a week, no more than three except for Crank Those Panels. If no deadline is posted, it defaults to a week.
- Showdown winners are responsible for starting the next showdown thread and the voting thread to go along with it. If you know you're going to be busy or don't want the responsibility ask a friend or a mod to start the next thread for you.
- If more than two days go past the deadline with no voting thread posted, a mod or anyone can post the voting thread to keep things rolling.
- If only one contestant has entered a showdown by the deadline, that person wins by default.
- No declaring winners before voting officially ends, voting should last 24-72 hours to give people a chance to see the thread. The end of voting should have a specific time (eg 5pm PST, 12am EST, etc). Ties go into sudden death after the specified end of voting, next vote wins.
- Thread starters/winners CAN enter their own contests if they want.
- Any medium can be used unless otherwise indicated by the thread starter- pencils, inks, CGI, markers, charcoal, watercolors, pasta noodles, whatever.
- If you cheat, you run the risk of being called out and humiliated by your peers. Don't try to stack votes in your favor using multiple accounts, mods can tell when you do that, we will disqualify you.
- Constructive criticism, tips, accolades, and compliments are encouraged.
- Please no nudity, its a family/work friendly forum and we don't need people getting fired or awkward questions from children.
- One official entry should be submitted per contest unless thread creator says otherwise at the start of the contest or if there are scanning issues. If you create 5 pieces and want them all to be considered, paste them together as best you can into one image.
- You do not need a mods' approval to start a new contest/showdown but it should be distinct from existing contests. Check with the other artists on the forum to gauge their interest before posting a new contest or risk being ignored/dismissed. Contests need to have a degree of interest from the community before they get pinned.
- Showdowns are for your own growth, getting experience working within deadlines, and showing off your skills in friendly competition, its not about who wins. So keep it civil and worry less about whether you'll win and more about progressing your own art at whatever level you're at. Above all else please HAVE FUN.
- Amalgam Contest - Combine two or more characters into one character. Capturing essential aspects of each character is important here.
- Artist Show-Off Showdown - The original Showdown contest, it can be about any character(s)/team(s)/theme/scenario/location/medium. Entirely up to the Showdown creator.
- Battle Contest - Pitting two or more characters against each other.
- Character Creation Contest - Create a character of your own design (preferably with a back story to match). Originality and creativity are rewarded in these contests.
- Costume Contest - Fashion a new costume look for an established character or team.
- Crank Those Panels - Panel to panel page re-creation, challenging creativity and storytelling ability. As it takes more time to create, these contests should be longer in length 1-2 months.
- Disney-fy a Marvel Contest- Disney has bought Marvel, make your worst fears come true and Disney-fy a Marvel character or do the reverse and Marvelate a Disney character.
- Variants Contest- Create a variant cover for an issue, put a new spin on it or recreate it in your own style.
- Gender Swap Contest- Give a male character female attributes or vice versa.
- 2099 Contest - Updating current characters for the world of tomorrow (formerly DC 2099 Contest).
- Round Robin Contest - Winning artist chooses another ComicVine member of ComicVine to help determine the subsequent contest theme. Winners notify your Viner of choice and give him or her 3-5 days to reply and start the next contest theme. If no reply, choose the next concept yourself.
Anything I'm forgetting, anything you'd like to add, or anything you'd like removed from this list, lets discuss it here.