k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Contains spoilers from the Season 3 premiere and some from "Sara"*

The season 3 premiere of Arrow ended on a real shocker: Sara's death. Her demise seemingly came out of nowhere and hit us like a ton of bricks. Why'd it happen to her -- you know, aside from putting Laurel on the path to becoming Black Canary -- and who did it? Didn't she deserve better? No matter how you feel, odds are this twist pulled a strong reaction from you, and now Arrow has the difficult task of making her death mean something. Sara was a key part of the show, so something like this can't be rushed through. Luckily, this episode -- which is appropriately titled "Sara" -- is one of the most emotional chapters yet.

I'll be blunt: when Arrow started, some of the acting was pretty stiff and it was tough taking the more dramatic scenes seriously. If something like this happened back then, a follow-up episode would have liked felt awkward and even cheesy at times. However, the series has improved significantly since then and this episode allows several of the actors to really tug at our heartstrings. You simply have to give credit where it's due and I'll confess that at least two moments had me holding back some tears. Right with the opening, we're hit with a wave of emotion and it's tough not to be impacted by it. But what struck me the most was Emily Bett Rickards' performance. Watching her attempt to be strong and hold back tears as the charismatic Brandon Routh bothers her is absolutely heartbreaking. And then when she finally lets it all out? Man, I looked at my fiance and jokingly pulled the cliche "I have something in my eye" line. You know, because I'm so macho like that. This episode also gave Stephen Amell a chance to show how much he's grown as an actor. The revelation with Roy was pulled off perfectly, as was his scene about being the leader. Meanwhile, Laurel's livid and understandably so. What happened to Sara wasn't fair and she does deserve better. It's almost like Katie Cassidy's the voice of some fans in this one and she pulls it off well.

Simon Lacroix, a.k.a. Komodo, finally makes his debut! While the character isn't nearly as significant as he was in the comics (or so it seems, so far), the character generated a few very cool scenes. First and foremost, his opening kill is a radical shot; I love how it followed the arrow through each layer of glass before the projectile stuck its target. The motorcycle scene wasn't for me (see below), but the stunt it concluded with was fantastic. And while he didn't have that much going for him in terms of character, the final fight helped me forget about that for a few minutes. The hand-to-hand sequence was fast-paced and exciting. It kept me impressed and the reflex feat which ends the encounter was a real jaw-dropper. I totally didn't see that coming and it was so very cool. Look, I know I already used the word "cool" in this paragraph, but it really is the best way to describe it.

No Caption Provided

As for easter eggs, a few caught my attention. Komodo's location is on the corner of 3rd and Lemire. If you're a fan of the Green Arrow comic, you know Jeff Lemire's the recent writer who did great things with the character. No Andrea Sorrentino nod though?! Bummer. Another was Felicity saying she always viewed Sara as an invincible amazonian warrior, a line which is more than likely a nod to Wonder Woman. It was a little odd to drop a reference like that during such an emotional scene, but it still accurately conveys how Felicity felt about Sara. Then there's the one bit that's oozing with foreshadowing: Laurel holding Sara's jacket. We all know she's going to become Black Canary at some point, right?

On paper or on the set, Oliver and Simon's motorcycle scene was probably a badass thing to witness. However, that intensity didn't really transfer to the TV screen. It felt odd having them essentially play chicken twice and there was no sense of danger or even a good shot of when they went right past one another. If anything, it made me wonder what kind of tactic Oliver had in mind, but seems like the scene was just there because having him barely dodge arrows while on a bike looks kind of neat. But hey, at least the way that sequence ended with Komodo was pretty stellar. As for Komodo himself, it is disappointing -- as a fan of Lemire/Sorrentino's comic -- that the character didn't have much depth. There was potential with his origin, but it seems like he's just another mercenary floating around in this world and I imagine there's no major plans for the character in the near future. But who knows? Maybe they'll prove me wrong and he'll come back in a big way. Perhaps a new member Suicide Squad?

There's a lot of potential with the Hong Kong story, but this one kind of seemed like it was just an excuse to bring actor Colin Donnell back. For me, it didn't enhance the current time's plot and it didn't do much to expand the one back then, either. Minor gripes: Laurel's line about the bullets being removed from the gun felt unnecessary and like it was there just to explain the obvious twist to some people who didn't immediately get it. Having her stare at Ollie with a look of hatred and surprise could have been so much more powerful. And Laurel not telling her father is frustrating to you as well, right? After the first moment of hesitation, I was sure she'd deliver the news and it would top off this emotional episode with Paul Blackthorne getting a chance to make us cry. But then came the reminder about his health. Oh well, I guess they'll save his compelling scene for later.

"Sara" feels like a proper follow-up to last week's shocking development. It's every bit as emotional as it needs to be and several of the actors give a powerful performance. Even though it offers a ton of insight into how these characters are grieving, it still finds time to incorporate some fun stunts, expands the mystery just a bit, and leaves us on an effective note. I'm sure no one was surprised when the mask came off in the end, but that really didn't make it any less exciting, did it?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of Komodo.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Haven't seen this yet, but I just had the horrible idea that the archer who killed Sara might be Cupid, since that character was cast for Season 3. That would be pretty terrible if it turned out to be true.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Good episode I to hope they revisit Komodo like they did with Deadshot.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man really liked this episode,just what everyone was going thru with what happened to Sara,and slowly but surely seeing Laurel being part of the group.Can't wait for the next episode!

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: That would make it 6 archers right now. (Oliver, Roy, Nessa, Captain jack, komodo, cupid)

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason, I'm really getting the feeling that Diggle might be the one who killed Sara. We know that Sara knew the attacker and that she knew them well enough to be completely unguarded upon seeing them on the rooftop. Archers that fit that description seem pretty rare. It's pretty much just Oliver (who I think we can rule out immediately), Roy (who could fit, but doesn't seem to have a motive for it) and Diggle (who's been spending a lot of time off-screen and is known to have been approached by ARGUS in the past to do covert ops in exchange for keeping others safe.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like they are spending too much of the increased budget on egregious stuntwork. It’s cool to have some impressive stunts sometimes, but they should still be practical. The motorcycle scene is one of those things they could’ve made more practical.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great emotional episode solid performances, I hope they bring back Komodo. Man I really want to know who killed Sara, I don't think it Ra's because Nyssa is in the next episode helping Oliver find the killer.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode. The fight scenes are amazing. I'm loving what DC is bringing to the small screen.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Really good episode but I still really dislike Laurel. They will have to do some great character building with her for me to ever care about her. Sara wasn't my favorite character but she brought something enjoyable to the show. Most scenes with Laurel just frustrate me.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

@syncig: It's because Laurel is always hard headed and a bit annoying.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SynCig

@the_stegman: It's also because of the roller coaster that is her character arc. In the first season she was all over the place. Then in season 2 she was unbearable for most of it. Then towards the end (possibly because the show runners realized how awful she was) she had a dramatic improvement. Then this season she is acting like a moron again. I understand that she would be in an emotional state after the tragic death of her sister but man, she is just so unlikable. Laurel has also been the source of a lot of the signature CW drama and most of that stuff has really fallen flat for me. She has a lot going against her right now.

Avatar image for manhunter_prime
Manhunter_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjon: It could be Merlyn since she didn't know he's alive and would thus be caught off guard. Also, I doubt that's the direction they would go with Diggle's character, but if they did do something that bold and did it well, then I'd totally dig it.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjon: I can't actually remember Diggle having any proficiency with a bow. He always uses a gun. Am I remembering that incorrectly or was there an episode that has slipped my mind where he uses a bow?

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Really hoping that when Sara's assassin girlfriend (forgot her name) finds out about her murder, she takes her to the Lazarus Pit. I don't even care if they pull off the whole "You're alive?!" cliché twice on us. Sara was a great character and I wish it had been Lauren taking the arrows.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Just finished the episode.

That stunt where he jumped out the window, shot a grappling arrow then swung into a lower level was sicknasty.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lilben42

Ra's killed her.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

The edition of the Leage of Assassins theme and the slight mid eastern tones ht through out the night gave the first act and a half a real nice noir-ish feel to it. Suddenly the typical B-roll of Vancouver (or heck it could be Toronto that cities the character actor of cities), feel and look kind of cool and not just ya know scene transition.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Really hope that isnt it for Komodo, really want to see more of him

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlKusanagi

"Look at me! I'm so tough!!!" *stands right in front of window mere seconds after a sniper fires an arrow through it*

Oh Laurel, you're the worst character on television. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOU!!! If they try to actually make her Black Canary after the perfection that was Sara, I'm done.

Thea was a little badass at the end though. Can't wait for next week!

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It was funny when I heard Komodo. I was like cool. He's in it. Then I was like, what wut? He's only just entered into Green Arrow lore. But I guess it's better for me because I'm not an out and out Green Arrow fan. I like some stories, and Lemire and Sorrentino's work was great.

Agreed. Should have been a Sorrentino nod. Guess it's always about the writers when writers are writing. :P

snakedr321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Thea going to be Cheshire? Kinda getting that vibe. Or is it just me?

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Look at me! I'm so tough!!!" *stands right in front of window mere seconds after a sniper fires an arrow through it*

Oh Laurel, you're the worst character on television. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOU!!! If they try to actually make her Black Canary after the perfection that was Sara, I'm done.

Thea was a little badass at the end though. Can't wait for next week!

This on so many levels.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@snakedr321 said:

So is Thea going to be Cheshire? Kinda getting that vibe. Or is it just me?

Oh, I hope not.

bjbobjones420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bjbobjones420

Anyone else want Thea to be black canary rather than laurel?

MegaHGFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agreed with the critic about the acting having really improved in this show. When I watched the series premiere on Netflix earlier in the year, I didn't care much for it. The show has improved 100 fold since then in every way, and it now might be my favorite current show.

Anyway, this was a great episode and I can't wait till next week.

snakedr321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By snakedr321

@nightfang: I'm not saying she should be, but if I had to pick a known character for her to become that would be my guess, plus putting her and Roy back together in an on again off again relationship will likely happen. That's my thought process. I guess they could make her a new character though. (She is made for the show right?) What do you think will happen? I am not a green arrow expert btw.

snakedr321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bjbobjones420: I'd be down with that. (not the biggest fan of Laurel)

Sissel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still hoping for the writers to give Laurel some good storylines. Also, I really hope Katie Cassidy works on her acting more.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well... this episode had a few good moments but a few head-scratchers as well.

As someone who is not particularly a fan of the Lance sisters, this episode didn't really have the intended punch for me. And the bike scene with Ollie and Komodo was just nonsensical. Probably one of the worst action scenes ever presented on the show.

The final confrontation with Komodo was a bit shorter than I'd have liked but I understand that the focus of this episode was not on the action. Komodo was simply a means to an end rather than a star of the episode, which is kind of a shame. It was nice to see Roy and Ollie side-by-side in the fray, even if only for a minute.

Diggle's great as always, I forget his actor's name off the top of my head but he's a good actor and usually has some of the best acting on the show. His delivery is understated at times but it works well and is a nice counterpoint to some of the more melodramatic scenes.

The flashback didn't really seem to add much to the episode other than bringing back Tommy for a cameo. I guess it shows that Waller wants Ollie's tracks covered so he can't be found but considering she wasn't even in the episode the threat somehow felt lacking.

Brandon Routh is making a good impression on me so far. I'm not a big Felicity fan though.

The stinger at the end with Thea was pretty cool. I was not really into her character much throughout the first season, and she was a little better in the second season, but I think I'll enjoy the direction her character is evolving in. She's more interesting with a bit of an edge.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I have been waiting for that ending scene with Thea for months. Seriously can't wait for next week. I really want to see an all-out brawl between Roy and Thea at some point, to show off her new moves.

Thea aside, I enjoyed the episode. It was a good reactionary episode. I wish we'd gotten a bit more from Oliver, Diggle, and Roy related to Sara's death. We got a decent amount of content out of Oliver (though I think there was more that could've been done), but not as much out of Dig and Roy.

I'm glad Komodo wasn't Sara's killer. Introducing the murderer of a significant character the episode after said character was murdered is just lazy writing. I'm hoping that we step away from trying to find the killer for a bit, only to have him/her thrown in out face when we least expect it.

More on Komodo: I like the casting. The actor seems like he can bring a lot to the character. But there was absolutely NOTHING to the guy this episode aside for a few cool action scenes. Arrow does a pretty good job with its heroes, but not the best job with villains. I hope they bring the guy back someday and make him into a more interesting character. We need more interesting villains for the show, Perhaps the series would benefit from giving us flashbacks on the villains from time-to-time, rather than jumping back to Oliver's past.

On that note, the flashbacks weren't doing it for me this episode (though they rarely do). It was cool to see Tommy again, but it didn't seem to fit much with the episode. If we'd gotten more out of Tommy, even just a sense of how desperate he was to prove, against all odds, that his friend was still alive, maybe I could've seen a link between the flashbacks and the present-day story. But the link wasn't really present.

All-in-all, 8/10 sounds about right. The episode hit a strong emotional note, and the acting was pretty good - especially when put into the perspective of how the acting used to be. I feel like more could have been done in some places, but for the most part the episode was a great watch.

Can't wait for next week. Probably the episode I've been most excited for since the show began.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@saren:

Well she suposed to know her killer. Unless they are friends or Cupid is an assassin (with less scary name for assassin)

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a big fan of Sara's, so I wasn't too upset to see her go. Regardless, this episode was pretty powerful. Yet again, the flashbacks provided nothing. I'm interested to see where Felicity will wind up, but I'm a little disappointed that Diggle's back in the cave. He's a great character but he's kind of the biggest plot hole (for 2 seasons Oliver Queen's body guard was helping Green Arrow and nobody noticed? Nobody thought to connect those dots?) plus his departure seemed to signify the dawn of the Arrow Family we've been waiting for: Green Arrow, Arsenal, and Black Canary. Also: if we don't see Laurel take another step towards the Canary mantle next episode I will freak. Anything from taking a martial arts class to dying her hair blonde would be fine, just so long as its something.

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Benk111

I think tommy killed sara

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Oliver and Felicity get together now after this episode. The hurdle Oliver put in the way in the premiere is pretty much gone with him not wanting to "die down here in the cave" and Felicity choosing to appreciate life more. Also Diggle naming his baby Sara was a little too cheesy for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

This episode was the best in a long time - it made me glad I didn't drop the show.

And I'm now pretty sure Malcolm did it.

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benk111: I don't think so, if it was tommy her reaction would have been bigger than the one she gave. Why? Because tommy is not suppose to be alive, so her reaction would have been more than hey it's you.

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numbuh1nerd: Speak for yourself, Diggle is one of my favorite characters in the show. Right now he is one of the few coolest person of color on Tv and being a person of color that means a lot to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool episode. Glad Sara is dead, she couldn't act for a dime. Laurel is still an idiot who need to die.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

This episode didn't quite do it for me. Too much of a focus on laurel, not enough on the villains or surrounding characters. Which I feel has been a problem for a long time. It felt like Sara's death was more of a plot device. They keep killing the strong female characters-i.e. Sara and Oliver's mom, while they keep on focusing on the laurel character-which doesn't quite work.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

This show never ceases to amaze me with its treatment of major GA baddies,Count Vertigo and Simon Lacroix should be the season baddies not 3 scene fodder. But I guess it should be expected after all it's a try hard to be Batman show.

Sara's killer was Ra's or someone working for him imo,he killed her to frame Merlyn,this way the League can enlist Olivers help.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Prediction: Ra's killed Sara. Nyssa knew about it, but begrudgingly didn't interfere out of respect for/fear of her father. She still stands by Ra's at first, going against Oliver and crew, but is eventually convinced by Ollie (or Laurel) to turn against Ra's. She abandons the League, and goes rogue as a solo-villain.

It never sat quite right with me that Nyssa just seems to be her father's servant (that seems more Talia's deal than Nyssa's). So this is a good opportunity to turn her against Ra's.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Thea killed Sara. Sara was traveling with the league, who know Malcom is still alive. She finds Malcom but realizes Thea is there with him. Sara comes back to see Oliver and tell him, but a brainwashed Thea is sent by Malcom to kill Sara to exact misguided revenge on Oliver for his part in the death of their mother. Half the season will be about Oli trying to get Speedy back, the other half about Ras demanding her to become a league member as punishment to both Malcom and Sara for disobeying him.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Episode 1 and 2 of this season are 2 of my favorite so far. the show keeps getting better and better

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still pegging Thea 'guilty' for the: "Who Done it" storyline. When she asked, "What are you doing here?", it implies she knows the person and believed them to be elsewhere. She also didn't feel threatened, as she didn't run. Thea Checks all of those boxes, and I don't think she knew who Black Canary was. So if she was tasked with killing her, she just thinks she is killing Black Canary, not Sara. That also establishes a 'Not so obvious' arc. If it does end up being Ra's, that would surprise noone and adds nothing to the already expected story.

If it is Thea, that adds tremendous weight to the story. We already saw how bloodlusted Laurel was when she was face to face with Sara's supposed killer. Now Imagine when she finds out it was Thea, that puts Ollie in a extremely difficult spot. If he doesn't reveal himself to Thea in the next episode, a heavy scene with Thea on one end and Laurel on the other, would force his hand. Also, when it is revealed exactly who she killed, that could be the tipping point that sends Thea to Ollies side, if it was Malcolm who set her up to killing someone she knows unwittingly.

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dadarkknight36310: unless she secretly found out Tommy is alive and chose not to share or was told by the league of assassins

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By batcat91

Decent episode. The fight with Komodo was well choreographed. The scene with Tommy in the end felt very contrived and forced though, especially when Oliver's "partner" came seconds after the abduction. Otherwise it was solid.

Hope Vertigo and Komodo play more prominent roles in the season though

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I was under the impression that the guy Arrow caught in the end isn't the real Komodo, and that the real Komodo is still out there. After reading this review, welp that impression started to fade and I'm really gonna be pissed if that's as far as they go with the character.