k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"Sometimes death is preferable to the agony of life."

Either I'm an emotional mess tonight or "Midnight City" did an exceptional job with a few very powerful scenes. Sure, there's some cool stunts in here and Brick makes his move, but this one is all about the raw emotion the heroes are experiencing in a post-Oliver Starling City.

Who else was completely surprised by the opening sequence? First, it felt like a flashback. A few seconds later, it was clearly a dream and I was certain about who was having it. But nope, I was totally wrong and honestly, it was the best scene to come out of this character's arc in this episode. You can tell just how hard I'm trying to be spoiler-free here, can't you? It was a great way to prepare us for an episode that's full of compelling conversations. Honestly, the show can be overly dramatic at times, but they really nailed it with this one. From brief bonding between Diggle and Roy to Laurel's pain to Felicity and Ray, this one delivered one captivating, character-driven scene after another.

I have no problem eating my words and admitting I was wrong about Laurel's story. She's been a frustrating character for quite some time now, so when it was officially announced that she'd become Black Canary, I couldn't help but feel skeptical about it. I know she's had one rough development after another one, but nothing made me want to root for her and give her my empathy. It's not a jab at the actress -- she does a great job in this episode -- but watching her deflect and lash out time and time again wasn't the best thing around. Now, the show recognizes all of our concerns. Whether it's someone else talking to her about the costume or her own responses, the path felt like a natural and powerful one. Yeah, it's a little silly she can suddenly hold her own better because she's more determined, but it's not like they're treating her like she's a master combatant.

There's a more intimate scene between Ray Palmer and Felicity that really impacted me. Everything from the music to a certain line or two made it so blatantly obvious they wanted to tug at our heartstrings. Because of that, part of me wanted to think they were trying way too hard to get me emotionally invested. That part of me really wanted to think it's a cheesy scene. But you know what? It worked. Thanks to the performances, the scene really got to me and made me care even more about the two. Not only did this episode really sell Laurel's touching story, but it also sold the developing bond between Ray and Felicity. There's even a couple of good scenes where Roy's personality and not just his impressive agility gets to shine. Watching him stand up to Malcolm while blatantly being afraid of him was a nice surprise.

No Caption Provided

When the DJ character first appeared, I thought there were two possible paths for him. The first is he's simply there for drama. It'll get to Roy and produce even more relationship problems. The second is there's more than meets the eye with him. No, he's not a Decepticon, but he is working for someone to keep an eye on Thea. Well, right when we saw he's still around and Merlyn wants to leave the city with Thea, there was only one possible person this kid could be working for. This reveal is saved for the big cliffhanger and honestly, it's a surprising decision since there's no way I'm the only one who thought that twist was coming a mile away.

Laurel modifying her voice to reassure her father with a phone call was a surprisingly powerful scene. I've no problem admitting the "I don't know what I'd do without you" line really got to me. Laurel later showing up and talking to him in person was a baffling decision to me. She obviously wants to reassure her father, but awkwardly saying she's okay and blatantly hiding the truth would only make this detective more concerned about her. I also think it's a little odd he doesn't notice the physique is different, but that's not a big deal since she kept her distance. I'm also wondering how he hasn't noticed Oliver and Arrow have vanished at the same time. But hey, I guess he's been busy.

So, Oliver can already kind of walk after being stabbed twice in the torso, falling a ridiculous height, and then laying in the cold for quite some time? We all know Oliver is going to come back, but it's being handled way too soon. "If you know it's coming, why not get it out of the way now?" Valid question, random reader! Since everything else going on is so interesting, it's a shame we can't focus purely on them because these arcs certainly deserve the extra love. I would have loved to see more time spent with Brick (especially since his arc apparently ends in the next episode) or more time with Roy and Diggle. It's safe to say Oliver has had plenty of time in the spotlight, yeah? I like what they're doing with Matseo and the one fight scene was badass (it was more of a slaughter than a fight), but they seem to be blatantly telegraphing the death of his child.

Minor criticisms: Firstly, why'd the first bad guy wait to pull a gun until Laurel was close to him? Human error, I guess. Secondly, maybe Thea isn't afraid of Ra's al Ghul because she knows nothing about him, Malcolm. I'm glad they're going to hold their ground and I obviously understand the point of the scene, but if he explained just how powerful and dangerous Ra's is, Thea might have a second opinion. Probably not, but it's worth letting her know just how dangerous things are and how vast his resources are. I know he thinks he can protect her, but he's smart enough to know he cannot underestimate Ra's and should let Thea be fully aware of just how alert she must be. Thirdly, the crime boss agrees to meet in a public spot, and Starling City's police force can't put together a unit to track his vehicle in an effort to help narrow down where the hostages are being held? They're really going to just throw away an entire part of the city without even trying to come up with a counter-plan? They're obviously facing budget issues, but it seems like they had no plan whatsoever. Lastly, I'm tempted to give "Midnight City" 0-stars for not playing the song Midnight City by M83. Okay, I'll do my best not to hold it against the show.

Did I want Laurel to become Black Canary? No. Is Laurel's story about becoming Black Canary handled well? Yes, it absolutely is. "Midnight City" has a decent amount of fun action, but it really makes an impression because it does such a great job handling most of the characters. The cliffhanger isn't a huge shocker and it's unfortunate Oliver's already getting so much attention, but everything else in tonight's episode was surprisingly strong.

AMajorDoubter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Black Canary! I love her so.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm okay with Laurel becoming Black Canary. Her story arc deserved it. I just think maybe a time skip or something could have made her a more believable vigilante. Even Roy had a decent time skip before he was patrolling the streets.

Laurel still hiding things from her family is just annoying though. After all they've been through it is not the time for more secrets.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It bothers me ALOT that Black Canary in th CW-verse is not a natural blonde. So based on that little nit-pick, no I am still not OK with Laura as Black Canary... Also did Canary ever use a staff in the comics?

But truth be told I didn't like her sister as Canary either. I guess I just don't like the CW-verse incarnation(s) of Canary period....

chrisburgess99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the scene when Thea was reading a Brad Metzler novel. Metzler in known for naming lesser known characters as characters from the DCU.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinnie Jones is perfect for brick

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the scene when Thea was reading a Brad Metzler novel. Metzler in known for naming lesser known characters as characters from the DCU.

that is really cool to know,nice catch! I enjoyed this episode,and seeing Black Canary finally come into her own,nice to see her stumble though but she looks good in the outfit!

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By MrMazz

I'm glad they managed to if not orient, open up the tonal spectrum of the Arrow with this episode. While he is still clearly the Batman-Shadow to Flash's Superman-Doc Savage, opening up the Arrow as more of an ideal or rallying cry for others to fight for their city is a good very super hero move for the show.

Cheap Plug to user review

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dan12456

Really disappointed from the preview that Oliver comes back next episode, I think it would only be fair that the others found a way to beat Brick after all they've been through so far. However I am surprisingly happy with Laurel's arc and Maseo's. The mayor's decision to give up the glades was baffling though. Pretty sure you call in the national guard and put the aldermen in protective custody rather than abandon part of your city. I thought Brick had a much stronger showing last episode but was still good in this one.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

Felicity: so hey detective-I know you asked for the arrow-I can't give you him, but I can send your last daughter into combat who has no experience or visible skills and she can take on this unbeatable villian.***

That is where this episode lost it for me. I still dont buy laurel unless she is in a courtroom. I think she is getting better, but I don't buy her action scenes-she should have had 6 concussions in this episode. Id give this episode a 5/10 maybe only for Thea/Merlyn dynamic.

I love this show but seriously this whole season has just been a clear example they shouldn't have killed sara off so easily and forced laurel into this role so fast.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

cylonempress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great review, I can agree with (mostly) everything that was stated in the review :) I'm really getting used to Laurel as a character and her story arc as she pursues the title of the Canary. One thing that is really annoying me is that Felicity is constantly being used as a love interest for several of the male leads. From Oliver, to Ray, and Barry Allen I'm wondering if they will keep doing this to the character. Is she not deserving of a real relationship? I hope the writers do something about this because I really do like her character.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis

It bothers me ALOT that Black Canary in th CW-verse is not a natural blonde. So based on that little nit-pick, no I am still not OK with Laura as Black Canary... Also did Canary ever use a staff in the comics?

But truth be told I didn't like her sister as Canary either. I guess I just don't like the CW-verse incarnation(s) of Canary period....

Not sure why you're being bothered so much,Canary IS NOT a natural blonde,she dyes her hair and prior to that wore a wig.That's one thing Arrow actually GETS.

She uses a staff in her sparring sessions, but it doesn't suit her comic aesthetic,it however suits her here.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truemarvel: Black Canary was initially a brunette in the comics and wore a blonde wig, but later on she just dyed it...

So CW aren't wrong in this aspect...

crak0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad they're showing Laurel fumble initially as Black Canary... I feared they'd just do the whole magic wand thing and poof... instant-superhero in a box already assembled...

Needs more Canary Cries though...

And no flips from Roy this episode... :)

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A really solid episode and Laurel was pretty cool as Black Canary. She was a mess but she still had her moments and MAN she can take a beating. That alone is testament to how tough the girl really is. I couldn't help but root for her.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been bothering me as to why Laurel's actress looked so familiar that it didn't hit me until now. I've been watching Supernatural recently and that's when it hit me..she was Ruby lol Not to sound shallow but I thought she looked better back then as her compared to how she looks now..But anyways, I haven't got to see her much as Laurel/Canary. On Facebook/Twitter posts I see a lot of people want her dead or find her annoying so I take it she's not the most liked of characters so far

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't get over that we're just supposed to believe that Oliver just survived by will to live. That has been the most unrealistic thing this show has ever done. I'd believe a super powered slade wilson before that.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AwesomePerson
WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@samuel_simmons: Yeah, it's pretty silly. They also mentioned that the cold helped, I guess? Stopped him from bleeding out? Still pretty stupid as the cold would have just killed him outright.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truemarvel:

None of both Black Canary are natural blondes but they have really dark short hair. Dinah Drake and Dinah Laurel Lance began their carreers using blonde wings to protect their identity but Dinah Lance started to dye her hair blonde in Birds of Prey . In fact the only natural blonde Black Canary is Dinah Drake-Lance (New 52). Dinah Lance actually used Bo staff/Eskrima Sticks and others weapons and equipment in Birds of Prey. But most writer write her fighting with only her fist anf legs. But Bo Staff/Eskrima Sticks are good weapons for her because her main martial art styles.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Laurel was completely useless

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I notice that Laurel´s first outfit looks alike Moderm Black Canary

Laurel mention her full name (Dinah Laurel Lance) that made me happy and also Felicity and Laurel´s scenes looked alike Birds of Prey team up.

Brick was good characther.

@crak0:

Yeah Laurel needs the Canary Cry Bombs specially fighting stronger target than her.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Other than looking incredibly hot.....

@dondave said:

Laurel was completely useless

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm actually glad Ollie isn't away for long. I know he could have laid low for a couple more episodes but when the mid season finale happened I was worried they were going to stretch it out for way longer than needed.

If I have to choose between a bit rushed vs the plot being stretched to far and going stale I got with the quick option.

Maybe I've just been watching too much anime lately and I've just got impatient with the trope of main hero out of action until the last minute before saving the day.

Still got images of Goku running down the snake road.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another great episode! And of course another great review Gregg!

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Great review.

I definitely think this is the best episode we've gotten all season. While I wish Sara was still around, now I know I can at least respect Laurel and be interested in her journey.

The only downsides of this episode for me were the Oliver and Hong Kong scenes. We could've done without them and just focused more on the supporting cast. Also, Oliver's reason for surviving was skipped through, which was pretty dumb. After last week, I thought we'd learn more about what Tatsu did this episode. But we got absolutely nothing which is a bummer. Also, it was a bit strange how Felicity suddenly changed her mind about retiring and Roy suddenly changed his mind about Laurel. Maybe if we'd gotten fewer Hong Kong scenes, those changes of heart could have been better developed/justified.

Nevertheless, I liked this episode quite a lot. 9/10 from me.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Vinnie Jones is cool but it physically pains me that Brick is not black

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, Oliver survived a 100+ meter drop and being stabbed through the abdomen because it was cold outside?? The Lazarus pits would've been more believable lmao

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't like Laurel.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Its a standard action movie and tv thing, the hero always shrugs off crap that should kill them.

Its why in real life you'll never see someone slowly walking with their backs to a massive explosion, it looks cool in action movies but in real life you'd be hurled across the street and your organs would be liquified.

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping Roy would have more time to shine before Oliver show's back up. His scene with Merlin was pretty cool, though.

I was hoping he , Felicity and Diggle would be able to come up with a plan to take out Brick.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By buttersdaman000

@joshmightbe said:

@buttersdaman000: Its a standard action movie and tv thing, the hero always shrugs off crap that should kill them.

Its why in real life you'll never see someone slowly walking with their backs to a massive explosion, it looks cool in action movies but in real life you'd be hurled across the street and your organs would be liquified.

True, but they already opened the door to the lazarus pits when they had Ra's confirm his longevity. I just don't see the logic of not using it here when we already know it exist. I mean now Sara just looks like a pansy getting killed by three arrows and 10 meter fall doesn't she?

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samuel_simmons: @wardishy: @buttersdaman000: Agree with you guys.

Are we supposed to forget that Ra's Judo Chopped his neck, to where he couldn't breathe? Even if they stopped the bleeding and closed the wound, he would still be unable to breath. If they somehow opened up his airways, he would have cerebral Hypoxia and be pretty much brain dead.

I know, i know, its a show based off comics. But you can't go to great lengths to make us think he is dead (we knew he wasn't) only to lazily bring him back. If he is going to unrealistically survive, give him an unrealistic means to do so, Lazurus pit.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: maybe Tatsu used some of the stuff from a Lazarus pit but diluded it somehow to prevent the psychotic episode but also made it less effective hince why Ollie didn't come back fully healed.

They still have plenty of time for explainations but it would have made less sence to have them actually go to the pit considering it was pretty clear Ra's wanted him dead and I can't see him just leaving a pit unguarded.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Another great episode! And of course another great review Gregg!

Hey, that's kind of you. Thanks.

So, Oliver survived a 100+ meter drop and being stabbed through the abdomen because it was cold outside?? The Lazarus pits would've been more believable lmao

Yeah, it's very off-putting that they already have him healing so rapidly and haven't even justified how. Using a Lazarus Pit -- since we know they exist -- would be obvious yet preferable. Maybe they'll explain it down the road, but it's off-putting here and now.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Season 3 has ruined this show for me.

Season 1 and 2 were some of the best superhero TV shows I've ever watched.

Now, too many regular people are becoming badass fighters.

The show was the best back when it was just Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity.

I never cared much for Roy. I liked Sara as the Canary, but they ruined that...and now one of the shows worst characters is becoming the Canary.

I just can't be bothered to watch the show anymore, which is unfortunate, considering I binge-watched the first two seasons on netflix.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: If they don't explain it in the next few episodes I can get behind the complaint but I don't need all the details instantly.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: If they don't explain it in the next few episodes I can get behind the complaint but I don't need all the details instantly.

I don't need them instantly, either... which is why I didn't say anything about it last week. However, this week, they really should have offered some kind of explanation.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Maybe they'll just say it was one of those really lucky breaks, like those few people who survived skydiving accidents where their chutes didn't open. Its not a common thing but it can happen.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This was a very good episode, probably one of the top 5 this season.

Eivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit474: The character was terribly written the first two seasons, and Kassidy isn't a good enough actress so save a character so poorly written. She has been significantly better handled this season, but some are just at a point where they refuse to accept her regardless of how much the writing about her improves.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slade_wilson: I was thinking the same thing but the actor has won me over. So this is a situation in which it works.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Agreed. I was initially disappointed Ollie came back to life so soon, but that's nothing more than a nitpick. However, the way they handled his resurrection/healing is definitely a negative. They really just contradicted themselves in these last two episodes. First Maseo claims he came back to life, now the cold and whatever helped him survive? But Black Canary is killed by three arrows? C'mon.....I just hope they give us a good explanation.

However, besides the Ollie dead/not dead mess this was probably one of the strongest episodes of the whole series. I was skeptical of Laurel wearing her sisters suit, but it looks like we'll be able to see her grow into it.

@joshmightbe:

That's what I was hoping, but i'm pretty sure this episode confirmed he didn't die right? From what I got the cold negated the bleeding, the penicillin negated any infections, and Tatsus healing healed his broken bones. Ignoring Maseos final words in the previous episode, both he and Tatsu were talking as if Oliver were just extremely wounded. I do hope that i'm wrong though.

True, it wouldn't have made sense, but the writers could've found a way. Maybe there are multiple Lazarus Pits, one for each sacred ground, or the pits are made from a special mixture of ingredients that Maseo had knowledge on??

@sachmoo:

Yeah, liberal use of situations that require extreme suspensions of disbelief, even in a comic book show, really annoy me......especially when it can be easily resolved in a way that fits the norm of the universe (The lazarus pits).

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: People don't have to be dead for the Lazarus pits to heal them so if he was extremely lucky and survived the fall and she used some diluted form of the Lazarus stuff it would explain it but I suppose the could just use the same principal as that weird island root Ollie was using in season 1 as a cure all and we're just supposed to roll with it.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: People don't have to be dead for the Lazarus pits to heal them so if he was extremely lucky and survived the fall and she used some diluted form of the Lazarus stuff it would explain it but I suppose the could just use the same principal as that weird island root Ollie was using in season 1 as a cure all and we're just supposed to roll with it.

I just think with cliffhanger of the midseason finale and the confirmation of the lazarus pits by Ra's it would be a little misleading and lazy to not use them and have Oliver survive his battle.

Harryvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is starting to kick butt again. I did laugh out loud watching Laurel look like a total doofus the entire fight scene. She was thrown to the ground how many times? I laughed even harder when she says, "Now we're even!" Sure Laurel, whatever you say. Can someone get katana a hamburger? She's scary skinny.

"I take this butter knife edged with ketchup and draw a line on my neck" - Gotta love CW SFX

There was literally a faded sharpie line when he was done "cutting" himself.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitality: Dude Laurel wasn't a "badass fighter" she was getting the crap kicked outta her.

The show has been really good on who is top notch in that department.