• 62 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Contains some spoilers. Don't proceed if you haven't watched the Season 3 premiere!*

This week's episode, "Guilty," juggles a lot of elements and somehow manages to move forward with all of them. It even manages to connect some of them and, as if that wasn't enough, it finally included Hong Kong scenes which benefit the episode instead of seeming random and unfocused! What's really funny is you're going to be thinking about one swift moment when the episode is over. Not how several arcs are moving forward, but just one ridiculously great dose of fan service. It's just a handful of seconds long, but it's probably the most fun you'll ever have watching Arrow. Anyway, let's talk a bit about each arc.

One of Roy's flips finally seemed to make sense! Huzzah! But really, it was cool to see him put his agility to use to seemingly cover ground faster instead of just doing it because, well, it looks cool. More importantly, it was great to see they didn't drag the dilemma out with Roy. Whether he actually committed the murder reaches a clear conclusion and it gives Colton Haynes a chance to deliver a more emotional performance. It feels like the secondary story in this episode and it doesn't receive that much love, but it's still a pretty satisfying follow-up to the cliffhanger. There's also a nice bit of fan service as they figure out what his vigilante name should be. This storyline also draws parallels to what's going on with Ted Grant, but to say any more about that would really spoil it. It doesn't have that much of an impact on the dynamic between Ollie and Roy (they're back to the status quo), but it does impact Ted's mentality as we move forward. Now it's just a matter of seeing how that's handled. Anyone out there on team Wildcat?

"Guilty" finally puts the flashbacks to good use. Prior to this episode, the looks at Oliver's past haven't helped the episodes' themes all that much. In this one, it's pretty obvious how it'll eventually benefit the story, but what's important is it gives Katana a little more focus. She doesn't play a pivotal role, but I'm happy to see she's finally getting more of the spotlight. Here's hoping she doesn't fade away in the next set of flashbacks. Also, the quick interactions with the child was a very appreciated moment of levity and the connection to Roy's story is a fitting one.

Love or loathe Laurel, her path has been set and there's no turning back. All we can do now is hope she grows enough -- both mentally and physically -- before she slips into a costume. Thankfully, this episode does an adequate job handling her arc and it ends on a pretty strong note. Assuming they keep things moving at this pace, I'm thinking way more of us will be more accepting of when she eventually becomes the new Black Canary. A big issue -- for me, at least -- has been her somewhat immature responses and that would make her a terrible vigilante, but that's slowly changing. Man, Laurel's becoming a heroine and Thea's becoming a badass. Maybe Season 4 will be all about Felicity training with Lady Shiva. Okay, probably not, but it is kind of cool they're populating this world with new heroes and villains (I'm anxiously awaiting Brick's debut).

No Caption Provided

There's one amazingly cheerworthy moment in this episode. It's not that long, but it's something we've all been waiting to see. Well, it turns out the display was well worth the wait and totally hilarious. Seriously, it's one of those moments where you're going to rewind just to watch it all over again. This will probably only happen once, but man, it was glorious. Without question one of the happiest moments this show has produced and it was amazing to see they could pull it off with the show's tone.

The conflict between Oliver and Ted felt pretty forced at times. Yeah, I'm thrilled it resulted in a hugely anticipated trick arrow and a fun melee, but there are times where the drama felt over-the-top and occasionally the dialogue didn't feel organic. At one point, Oliver claimed Laurel isn't "thinking clearly on this," but that was stated after Laurel had dinner with the guy while the murder was committed. Even if he thinks she has her blinders on about Ted, it's kind of tough to chalk that one up to "you're not thinking clearly!" Also, maybe it's noticeable because of how much the regular cast has improved over the seasons, but the more emotionally-driven scenes between Ted and the real killer (come on, you knew it really was't him) felt a little stiff and not that compelling. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the character is getting a push, but it was tough to really connect with those scenes.

Can anyone explain to me why Laurel pulled such an epic fail while driving? Or how the guy was oblivious to her using her phone even though it would have illuminated in his line of sight (or so it seemed)? Yeah, Laurel had to take some abrupt turns, but she couldn't regain control and avoid crashing into parked vehicles? Next time try the brakes? I couldn't help but think of the time in The Walking Dead when Lori had a totally preventable crash. Oh, and did anyone else want to exclaim, "DUDE, PUT YOUR MASK ON" when Ollie takes off his hood and mask to talk with Laurel out in the open? Better safe than sorry, man. And the following doesn't impact the score, but it is a bummer there's no follow-up with Thea whatsoever. It's understandable since the narrative was so busy, but I'm finding Thea's story to be one of the more interesting ones this season.

"Guilty" has quite a few developments which make the show's future a little more promising -- something that I think will give many of you a more positive impression of the episode -- and it was cool to finally see them firmly stand by a theme this season, but aside from a seriously magnificent moment, this episode just felt okay to me. Despite having a good message, the acting with Wildcat's scenes felt a bit wooden, it seemed overly dramatic at times, and several small things (like Laurel randomly crashing) began to add up for me. There's some fun action and a good amount of fan service, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the drama and some of the performances. So, who else is thinking Cupid could be Sara's killer? After it was announced she'd appear in the season, several of us joked she could be the murderer but it was nothing more than a joke. Now it's looking like that could be the case. Jealousy can make a person do ugly things.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlKusanagi

I think we need to acknowledge one of the biggest milestones in Arrow history: Roy did a flip attack and didn't immediately get knocked out afterward!

And, yeah, Teddy Grant was a vigilante even before Ollie got stranded on the island... What was he, a fetus? God I hate him being cast as a young pretty boy.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: "this episode just felt okay"

Yep.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@alkusanagi said:

I think we need to acknowledge one of the biggest milestones in Arrow history: Roy did a flip attack and didn't immediately get knocked out afterward!

And, yeah, Teddy Grant was a vigilante even before Ollie got stranded on the island... What was he, a fetus? God I hate him being cast as a young pretty boy.

The Season 3 premiere had him do a similar flip before shooting a truck's tire!

Falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode is 10000000/5 for one reason, and you know it.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FearTheLiving

Another meh episode? This season has not been very good so far.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is getting so stale and stagnant. And not another archer villain.........

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I enjoyed this one quite a bit actually.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Agree with this review completely. Another mediocre episode for season 3. There were some things I enjoyed in this episode (BOXING GLOVE ARROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but overall it left me feeling kind of hollow. Hopefully Cupid proves to be interesting and things start to pick up soon.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arrow always picks up only after the mid season finale

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's not Cupid she has pink arrows

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@godzilla44 said:

It's not Cupid she has pink arrows

Yeah, that's one of the key things working against that theory... not to mention Sara deserves a more significant demise than "I was killed because Ollie has a stalker." I don't think it's likely her, but it's a fun thing to discuss. I'm still thinking it's connected to Malcolm or Ra's though. Anything else wouldn't seem as impactful as of right now. We'll just have to wait and see.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked this episode felt connected to every thing else in the overall story. and that arrow was amazing

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ForeverMan

This show always has been both fun and silly, and this episode was more of the same.

I feel like the reason Arrow and The Flash work for me more than the other DC shows so far is that they know what they're trying to be.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm liking this a bit more than last season, but something still feels off and I just can't put my finger on it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Yeah, this was a meh episode.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a few more episodes to make Laurel a believable fighter, which doesn't seem like enough.

Also, Ollie has been emphasizing Thea's nickname "Speedy" a lot lately so I wouldn't mind that happening soon.

Show could use more Nyssa though.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely agree. I wanted an older, more grizzled appearance--something closer to Colonel Miles Quaritch in Avatar. He was supposed to be something closer to a mentor/father figure, not someone Laurel would date. But at least we got the boxing glove arrow!!!

I'm liking this a bit more than last season, but something still feels off and I just can't put my finger on it.

So far I preferred last season because like you said, something feels off. I feel like it's a combo of many things. There's the Oliver/Felicity dynamic where they accepted their feelings, got together, and broke up all in the same episode. There's also all these little plot pieces that they haven't started piecing together yet, and unlike the flashbacks in the first 2 seasons, the China flashbacks don't really fit anywhere yet. Thea seems like she could potentially become Speedy but they haven't been pushing that, Ted doesn't quite feel like Wildcat (although he can fight), they're trying too hard to establish a Laurel/Black Canary connection, their running out of engaging "villains-of-the-week", Ra's was teased once and we're still waiting to see him again, we are in serious need of progress on Sara's killer, etc.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agents of Shield season 2 is far more engrossing then Arrow as of now.... who would have thought of that all those months ago?

I liked this episode but so far I am comparing it with Flash, Gotham, AOS, and Constantine. So far this episode is 3rd place on this weeks totem pole.

1. AOS

2. The Flash

3. Arrow

this week's Constantine hasn't come on yet so we will see

TheMultiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I REALLY really really really wanted Wildcat to suit up in this episode, but it didn't happen.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I appreciate what they're trying to do but this Wildcat isn't working for me. He looks like a thug. I was hoping for an older crotchety bad ass.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look forward to Arrow more than Flash every week but not it's gonna be vice versa if Ra's isn't involved more

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I thought this was one of the better episodes. Not the best, but above most of this season. It felt like a nice digression from the main plot.

7.5/10.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This episode wasn't the most engaging ever but it still felt like one of the better ones so far this season. I did miss Thea though (never though I'd ever say that back in season 1).

When is the Flash crossover? Is it episode 8?

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sealife

I loved how Cupid stalked them.

Watching them in the crowd and Diggle and the van.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I'm Cupid, stupid."

That's gotta be one of worse most cringe worthy lines I've heard in a while.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say this was at least a four star episode for me. I really enjoyed it. I wish they focused a little more on Roy, but I am very pleased with the scenes and story he is in. His moves are still off the charts.

Wildcat was super cool, and I hope continues to be.

I was a bit surprised, they didn't tell Laurel that they now know Roy is innocent

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SilverPool

Despite issues thiis episode... 10/10 for a certain arrow part

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone seems to be glossing over what seems to be a really major clue in this episode... And one of several illogical character reactions now that I think about it.

Felicity flat-out reveals to Roy evidence that would have eliminated a huge chunk of the investigation that occurred earlier in the series: the trajectory and area of approach for the arrows that killed Sara didn't match any of the known archers they were investigating, nor were they created by a bow at all.

Felicity knew this, but didn't say anything while the crew hunted a bunch of archers she knew most likely didn't kill Sara. Stranger still, her evidence actually paints a very convincing argument for Huntress being the killer -- a shorter character that would explain the lower angle of the arrows with a mechanical crossbow that would explain direct force.

Even with that evidence though, what was Roy's plan when he told the crew "I killed Sara". He had no actual proof that he did it other than weird dreams and a theory for how Roy could have killed her with thrown arrows that they didn't even test. No one bothers to call him out on how ridiculous this seems either... It's even more perplexing that Roy was going to "turn himself in"... Turn himself in to...who? The police? He knows Laurel is keeping it a secret from her dad, right? Even then, what did he think would happen if the police actually found and examined Sara's body? That act alone would produce enough evidence to destroy the lives of pretty much everyone he cares about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

"I'm Cupid, stupid."

I'm pretty sure you haven't seen the comic version of her, but she is a god-awful character.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Numbuh1Nerd

Couldn't agree with you more. I never considered that Cupid could've done it, but it actually makes a whole lot of sense! She's got motive for days, and it would make sense that she would be shorter than average. The only thing that could kill this theory is that the arrows weren't her signature heart-tipped arrows, and it seemed as though Sara knew her.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Ah, maybe that terrible acting was perfect then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ostyo

@xwraith: Wow, she better not do that to Malcolm in the show.

Which to answer your question is why I watch the show sometimes. Malcolm Merlyn is the best part about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: I can't see them shoving Malcolm aside for her.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Yeah. Honestly they should change the name of the show to Dark Arrow. *nod*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: If they can make a Flash show and a Titans show in the same world... why not give one of the villains his own show?

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Nah, just give him Arrow. Ollie isn't doing anything worth while with it. :P

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_stegman  Moderator

The one arrow that packed a "punch" made this episode 5 stars by itself.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By goonage

@themultiverse said:

I REALLY really really really wanted Wildcat to suit up in this episode, but it didn't happen.

@ostyo said:

"I'm Cupid, stupid."

Both of these, though I think the line fits Cupid's character (And I'm really excited to see her- Not to mention the fact that she is one of the few villains I can think of that are actually in GA's rogues gallery. I hope they don't kill her off).

@anjon said:

Felicity flat-out reveals to Roy evidence that would have eliminated a huge chunk of the investigation that occurred earlier in the series: the trajectory and area of approach for the arrows that killed Sara didn't match any of the known archers they were investigating, nor were they created by a bow at all.

Even with that evidence though, what was Roy's plan when he told the crew "I killed Sara". He had no actual proof that he did it other than weird dreams and a theory for how Roy could have killed her with thrown arrows that they didn't even test. No one bothers to call him out on how ridiculous this seems either... It's even more perplexing that Roy was going to "turn himself in"... Turn himself in to...who? The police? He knows Laurel is keeping it a secret from her dad, right? Even then, what did he think would happen if the police actually found and examined Sara's body? That act alone would produce enough evidence to destroy the lives of pretty much everyone he cares about.

I also noticed this during the episode and it felt a little polt-holey to me. I have faith in Arrow's writers to provide us with an explanation.

@sealife said:

I loved how Cupid stalked them.

Watching them in the crowd and Diggle and the van.

I didn't notice that. If this is true this will be *almost* GF levels of epic *runs off to re-watch*.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest with Arrrow, only after the mid season finale and the big bad of the season is revealed then it really gets good...

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sealife

@goonage:

I don't know how many times she appeared, but I saw her two times. First she was in the crowd when Laurel went to talk to Oliver and the second I think was when she was behind Diggle's truck. If you have re-watched it, did you see her any other times?

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

Boxing glove arrow was awesome, but the cupid reveals looks awful. I will still watch, but im worried next week may be a little more painful. I look forward to the flash/arrow crossover.-that might bring a needed boost to arrow.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I simply cannot wait til i get to, 'I Told You So' everyone when Thea is revealed as the killer.

Also, don't be surprised when they 'reveal' that Capt. Boomerang was the killer, only for it not to be him at the end. As soon as they said they suggested it was thrown at her instead of shot, that was my first thought. Plus they need a reason for the Arrow squad to head out to Starling city for the crossover.

I agree with the review wholeheartedly. I also want to add, nothing like some good old fashioned plot convenient Meditation.

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually thought this was a 5 star episode... agree to disagree..

wimble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By wimble23

@anjon: If I remember correctly in the first couple episodes they went over the fact that the angles and everything of the arrows were weird but they didn't know what to think about it. Your idea of who it could be though is very intriguing.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Laurel is to ARROW;What Selina Kyle is to GOTHAM.

Not good things

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By Mrnoital

I thought it was a pretty good episode

also

No Caption Provided

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pelykan

That crash made no sense. She spun the car back around by pulling the steering weel to the left, then the wheels were still aimed slightly to the LEFT (and at this point the car will have slowed down significantly) and then a split second later you see her crashing straight into the RIGHT side of the road.

But this whole scene was just orchestrated so we could see Roy fighting the bad guy who called him a weapon in an arsenal.

And they really have to stop making Roy do backflips for no reason. Gotham has Catgirl show up for no reason and Arrow has Roy do backflips for no reason.