• 55 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Haven't watched the episode yet? Well, don't proceed if you don't want some spoilers!*

"What's up with your family and islands?"

Tonight's episode of Arrow, "Corto Maltese," gives us a much-needed update on how Thea's handling training with her father. That may be the crux of the narrative, but the episode manages to cover plenty of ground. We get more emotion from the three male leads, there's quite a few easter eggs -- "Wildcat" being the most obvious one), Felicity begins to appreciate her new career, and Laurel attempts to deal with Sara's death. Despite having so many different focuses, "Corto Maltese" doesn't feel disjointed and only one arc didn't satisfy.

Even though there's a lot of drama in this episode, there was a surprising amount of lighthearted material, too. Much to, well, everyone's surprise, John Diggle had a couple of decent lines (one's at the one at the top of the review!) and the material with Felicity was pure gold. Arrow often has a serious and dark tone, but these little moments of levity gave the episode a nice balance. There's plenty of compelling conversations and attempts to pull at our heartstrings, but watching Felicity try to handle multiple calls -- one which has Laurel asking her to "google his phone or something" -- while basically not giving Ray Palmer any attention was a great comedic scene. It's also nice to see Felicity thriving and getting what she's deserves in a career. She's certainly earned it. I also appreciate how they promoted her upcoming appearance in The Flash with just a quick conversation. It felt more subtle and like it was just part of the conversation instead of a shameless way to plug the other show. Oh, and having "Gerry Conway" as an assistant? Priceless.

There's a subplot which basically seems like it's there to throw in a few easter eggs (e.g. Mark Shaw and there's a document with names, but I didn't spot anything) and offer a little more focus on Diggle, but honestly, it mostly came off as an excuse to get some action in this episode. Not that I'm complaining, though. The shootout was a little generic, but the hand-to-hand sequences continue to thrive. Watching Ollie drop several guards with some swift and blunt melee attacks was a joy. I mean, Oliver hits a dude in the neck (or was it shoulder?) with a laptop. Brutal stuff. Besides, having Oliver create a bow and arrows out of items from his hotel room was a heck of a feat. It just goes to show how much that island changed him.

Thea and her father, Malcolm Merlyn, were without question the highlight of this week's episode. It's amazing how in just a single episode they were able to make Thea take huge steps forward, both emotionally and physically. If anything, we left this episode feeling like she should one day become Black Canary. It was also terrific to see her encounter with Roy felt more down to earth instead of potentially going over-the-top with the drama and making viewers immediately go, "That was way too CW for my taste." Additionally, the flashbacks were used to show the contrast of how she was versus how she is now. The flashbacks with Ollie are slacking this Season, but these looks into the past were hugely beneficial for Thea's story and a very effective way to give her more depth. Added bonus: having her go by the name "Mia" was a nice little dose of fan service.

No Caption Provided

The biggest negative of this episode was the focus on Laurel. Instead of focusing on why Sara was killed or defying our expectations with Laurel's path, they're basically doing exactly what we'd expect. Some of it is a little too heavy-handed as well. For example, we knew the meaning behind the pamphlet and we saw the leather jacket placed next to her in the hospital, so to then focus on both felt like "yeah, we get it" kind of moments. The sequences were crystal clear, so adding those just felt like it was trying to make the message way too obvious. This is nothing against the actress -- she's doing fine -- it's just the material with her is a little frustrating. It's going completely as expected and almost seems to diminish Sara's death. Yes, that tragedy is what's driving her, but she's already on the path to essentially replacing Sara and it's tough to see this character accomplishing that. She can't turn to pills or alcohol, so fighting crime is the only other option? She can't work out? She can't use a punching bag? I get she's driven, but it's not like her only options are going back to old addictions or becoming a superhero.

I understand they want her to eventually take Sara's place -- or so we're led to believe -- but the handling could be more subtle and take more time to develop. Instead, this just feels rushed. I know I've ranted about this enough, but I couldn't help but remember how she randomly busted out some slick fighting moves back in Season One -- which caught me totally off-guard -- and now she seemed pretty helpless, even with a weapon. Look, I know they want Laurel to step up and take the Black Canary mantle, but it feels like the arc is happening too soon and too quickly. I'm excited to see more of Ted Grant and maybe Tom Bronson, but right now that seems to be the only upside to this arc.

The more emotionally-driven one on one between Thea and Oliver turned powerful pretty quickly. As it began, I thought to myself, "Another scene with a piano track?" But it wasn't long before I found myself invested in the dialogue and it had a nice grip on my emotions. Again, it just goes to show how much these actors have improved since the first season. As good as the scene was, I couldn't help but feel like Ollie's goodbye was pretty abrupt. Assuming he was leaving the island and not seeing her again for some period of time, wouldn't a hug or an "I love you" be appropriate?

"Corto Maltese" did a good job juggling all of Season Three's more depressing and emotional beats with some comedy and action. Whenever Thea was on the screen, it was an engaging and interesting scene. Unfortunately, I'm left once again disliking Laurel, but at least they're giving Thea a good arc and basically everything else helped counter Laurel's scenes. Oh, and you all saw the O.M.A.C. easter egg, right?!

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

When did the O.M.A.C. teaser happen?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator

When Palmer was looking at the documents. It was located on the bottom right, if I remember correctly.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By godzilla44

@k4tzm4n said:

@godzilla44 said:

When Palmer was looking at the documents. It was located on the bottom right, if I remember correctly.

How did I not notice that?

No Caption Provided

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By AlKusanagi

This Laurel plot line is going to ruin the whole show for me. She's just so terrible. And HELL NO to pretty boy Ted Grant. He should be a grizzled 50-something badass.

But Dark Thea... I like...

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Pretty good episode. I wish they had traded the Mark Shaw scenes for more Thea flashbacks. She was the highlight of the episode, yet somehow it seems like there was a lot of missed opportunity. I wanted to see more of her time with Merlyn. I was hoping to see her struggle with the fact that Merlyn is a psychotic murderer, yet she still feels there's a bond between them. I'm sure it's something that will be expanded upon in the future, but I was really hoping that this episode would go all-out with Thea's character. Not that what we got wasn't good.

I actually didn't mind Laurel's subplot so much. Predictable? Sure. But this is one of the few times I actually found the character (and actress) compelling, even if the motions she went through were predictable. I also think it's clever that they incorporated the AA scene.

Everything else was pretty solid. As I said earlier, not a fan of the Shaw plot, or anything involving Lyla and the baby. All just felt cliche and/or superfluous.

7.5/10 from me. And if not for the Thea scenes, probably a 6/10.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

Ugh, everytime Laurel speaks, I roll my eyes. It's like she ALWAYS has to be moody or something.

Mapacherise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@godzilla44: I knew it i thought i was seeing things but i'm glad i was correct and i marked out.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

This was probably the strongest episode for me this season. Next episode looks pretty cool.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was probably the strongest episode for me this season. Next episode looks pretty cool.

Best filler episode yet also this sort of felt like Burn Notice.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ughh, why do Thea and Laurel have to be so annoying?!

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was no buildup to Laurel's desire to fight crime. Perhaps if after Merlyn's death she spent more time learning self defense, but this seems so random.

Everything else was okay.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By MrMazz

See this is what happens when you loop characters into the secret, they are automatically freed to explore other things!

Solid episode, dose the name Armitage mean anything? I was hoping for a Bane reference funny since "Viper" had proto venom.

So what draws Ra's Al Ghul to Starling City? Cracked Pot Theory Time!: Malcolm is back in Starling City (When is the name change going to be offical) and kills Nyssa. Or He wants the Argus NOC list because he's friggin Ra's Al Ghul.

Cheap Plug to User Review

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By johnny_spam

Two stars for me. Laurel's not the best character but it's no surprise given the crummy storytelling she is subjected to. Her sister died and she feels the need to stalk and assault people. That should be an episode itself but instead it's not given enough room to breathe. Bad casting for Ted Grant also.

Thea is also pretty hard to watch it's harder to believe she wants training from the man who commited terrorism in her city killed many including her brother. Also hard to believe she is as trained as she is at the moment.

Arrow also seems to have a problem with cameos either they put too many in or they are so removed from the original character they might as well not even use the name. Two characters who were Manhunter in the show and were pretty useless.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Arrow has been kind of disappointing this season, i'm really hoping next week's episode is amazing.

chrisburgess99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Laurel arc is predictable and rushed. Sara will return after she is taken back to the Lazurus Pits.

I did like the Tommy Bronson a.k.a Tomcat reference. The Gerry Conway reference, creator of Firestorm, was a nod to last night's Flash episode.

How the O.M.A.C. teaser is going to play out remains to be seen.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@alkusanagi: This is still a CW show so everyone will be in there 20's to 30's looking like they steeped out of model magazine,

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

@the_stegman: Even if Laurel is moody, she is hardly as moody as Oliver. How many episodes have we had him saying he can't let anyone into his life because they always get hurt? Or that he can't be two characters at once? If Laurel is sad that her sister was murdered, she is being moody; Oliver is just so chipper all the time.

I personally feel that Laurel has had an interesting development cycle. She was rather unimportant in season one, she didn't really serve a purpose in season two, and now she is finally starting to do something that doesn't involve Oliver, and that's nice.

Too bad people see her as being moody. She isn't even the one most shaken up by the death of her sister. Instead we focus on how Oliver is feeling about it and he attempts to find the killer. Let Laurel do that, and the while have her start training so she can become the character she is meant to be.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why couldn't they have killed off Laurel! And I didn't like what they did with Mark Shaw, it just felt pointless unless Waller gonna become a villain later this season.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I can't wait for Laurel to become the Canary.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it me or does this season seem a little weak... not weak like Arrow S1 but not as great as S2 was...

I'll still watch it to see if it gets better...

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeperson: yes because they don't seem to have an interesting antagonist this season, the last season was good mostly because of Manu's portrayal of Slade.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: Yeah but he came in at episode 9 of the season.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: the didn't introduce Slade as the season's villain until episode 9 but the first few episodes were good, better than S3 is going...

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That guy didn't call her Mia, he called her Mija. It's a Spanish thing, but I can't remember what it means. The OMAC thing was cool, I don't know how I missed it. I was focusing pretty hard on those documents for an easter egg. A pretty cool episode, and it's nice to see Laurel get a little closer to Black Canary. (When did she dye her hair?) Does it bother anyone else that Ted Grant is so young? Also, I will be extremely disappointed if he doesn't actually become Wildcat, although given that's his nickname or the name of the gym (I don't remember which) that seems unlikely.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 k4tzm4n  Moderator

That guy didn't call her Mia, he called her Mija. It's a Spanish thing, but I can't remember what it means.

I don't know, even the actress implied it was Mia. Makes sense since it's a nod to the comics.

"Willa Holland @Willaaaah · 9h9 hours ago

Mia..."

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Honestly, I hope you're right. I want Thea to become Speedy so much.

Skyhawk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numbuh1nerd:

Derives from the spanish language and often used as slang.

Mija is shorted from 'mi hija'. Which means my daughter.

It is the same for males. 'mi hijo', mijo.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

@k4tzm4n said:

@numbuh1nerd said:

That guy didn't call her Mia, he called her Mija. It's a Spanish thing, but I can't remember what it means.

I don't know, even the actress implied it was Mia. Makes sense since it's a nod to the comics.

"Willa Holland @Willaaaah · 9h9 hours ago

Mia..."

Yeah, pretty sure it was Mia. Wouldn't make sense for him to call her mija, which means little girl and is used as a term of affection, typically by older people speaking to younger people. Why would her gardener call her mija?

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz:

I wish they had traded the Mark Shaw scenes for more Thea flashbacks.

I see what you're saying, but since they whacked Kate Spencer, it's awesome (to me anyway) to get a Manhunter into the DCCU. So why not the original? Hopefully he finds his way back to the side of the angels complete with all his cool gadgets. IF he can find a way to get whatever Waller has on him to no longer be a yoke around his neck.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numbuh1nerd:

Does it bother anyone else that Ted Grant is so young?

Not really. Perhaps they will address his nigh-immortality via his youthful appearance at a later point in the series and/or in the movies. "JSA MOVIE OR BUST!!!!":)

By the way, "Welcome to the 'Vine"!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By hyperman

Corto maltese is kinda a tropical island. It would have been great to see Oliver and Roy wearing banana hamocks in a pool or beach! They should be lovers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numbuh1nerd

No. If JSA happened yes or if he had some what showed to be active from sometime. If he appears on Earth-2 officially, he might be young as well.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#36  Edited By the_comebacks

@the_kidd:

Good call-it didn't kinda have a burn notice vibe and feel to it.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@vitalius said:

@k4tzm4n: @godzilla44:

People shouldn´t be too happy for that. Remeber The Amazo Boat.

This seems to have more promise since it involves Ray Palmer looking into the company's tech program and it's not just a name slapped on the side of a boat. If it's just a quick nod, so be it. But there's at least some potential there!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Vibe use Doctor Light ´s gun against Deathstroke. Omac could be a weapon.

leandro_rab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godzilla44: I saw them too

@k4tzm4n said:

@godzilla44 said:

How did I not notice that?

No Caption Provided

I saw them too. The name apears at the botom of the blueprints Ray recovered with Felicity.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

This Laurel plot line is going to ruin the whole show for me. She's just so terrible. And HELL NO to pretty boy Ted Grant. He should be a grizzled 50-something badass.

But Dark Thea... I like...

yeah me and my friend where saying this pretty much the whole time lol

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

So, did I miss Ollie deciding he was okay with murdering dudes again? Because he shot the heck out of some dudes with a gun in that closing action sequence.

Otherwise, I have to give them credit for at least trying with Laurel. It sucks that Sara, one of the show's most interesting characters, had to die to give her that motivation.

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By spidershamrock

Way too much Laurel in this episode, really brought it down. I think the best way to use Laurel in the show is to give her something to do and stop with all the emotional stuff.

Good episode overall, I really thought Olicity would be together by now

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr__kamikaze: Of all the people to be proven wrong by on this, I'd say Thea herself is the best. Like I said, I didn't know what it meant. I knew it was Spanish, I assumed the gardener dude knew her, and I heard it a lot on Wizards of Waverly Place (yes, as a matter of fact, I am ashamed of that). Isn't it a little odd though that she would give herself a new name but having very few people actually use it, namely Malcolm? I'd think that to keep that cover that Merlyn would refer to her by that name entirely. Oh well, I'm excited by the prospect that we could get Speedy for real!

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz: I agree. I found the story arc with laurel really well done and they're finally fleshing the character out. That scene when she was attached was brutal.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 k4tzm4n  Moderator

So, did I miss Ollie deciding he was okay with murdering dudes again? Because he shot the heck out of some dudes with a gun in that closing action sequence.

Otherwise, I have to give them credit for at least trying with Laurel. It sucks that Sara, one of the show's most interesting characters, had to die to give her that motivation.

I viewed it as he took non-lethal shots, or at least attempted to.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

It takes alot to please me in ways of film and TV shows but episode was definitely the best of Season 3 and really made me want to watch the next episode.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't get the Laurel hatred. If you just think she is being portrayed by a bad actress, that's fine. The show isn't comprised of great actors. I didn't get to evolve with her from season 1 (I binge watched the entire season to get ready for season 2, which, IMO, gives the viewer a dif prospective then watching them once a week) so maybe that's where the hatred comes from.

One gripe though, I'm not some 16 year old girl, but if they weren't going to go with a grizzled, old, beat up, strongman Ted Grant, couldn't they have used a guy with a more physically imposing looking physique? Dude looks like an out of shape kid who just started boxing last week.

HybridComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

What happened to Laurel's combat training from season 1?? Also Ted Grant should be older, more mentor & less potential love interest

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Ted is actually Ted Grant Jr. or maybe the extra lives makes him youthful looking.