• 45 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

ARCHIE is getting relaunched this week. There's a new #1 issue with a new creative team and a new look. When the news was first announced, our immediate reaction was something possibly involving some rolling of the eyes. As comic readers, we're getting used to relaunch after relaunch. Archie Andrews has been around since 1941. Did he really need a relaunch?

Some might say he's been long overdue. Others, like my daughter who religiously reads every book ARCHIE COMICS puts out, didn't feel it was necessary. Now that the issue is out, we can fully dive in to see what it's all about.

No Caption Provided

What caught the attention of many in the announcement was the fact the series would have the creative team of Mark Waid and Fiona Staples. The images showed us they were planning on updating the timeless characters. Archie Comics has been making several moves to broaden the appeal of their characters. While continuing to publish the characters in digest form, we've also seen more mature series like AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE and even ARCHIE VS PREDATOR (published with Dark Horse).

Most readers today are familiar with the Archie characters. Many have read an Archie comic at some point in their lives. There is likely many that have never looked at a single copy. This new ARCHIE series is one anyone can pick up. You're immediately introduced to the main characters. At the same time, it's not simply hitting you over the head with introduction after introduction. We do come in the middle of a situation in the lives of the students at Riverdale. There's been a pretty shocking event that has recently happened. Like them, we don't know all the details but it's enough to get you hooked to want to find out more.

The book is what you might expect. It's a teen drama at its core. Waid and Staples do make it feel more mature but not in a pushing-the-envelope kind of way (as seen in AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE). You can still feel the original essence and charm of the characters but there is also a more realistic take on them. The original Archie comics have their share of humor and wackiness embedded but this has a slightly more serious tone. What would that mean for the previous Archie readers?

What does my daughter think?

A 12-Year-Old Perspective

No Caption Provided

At first I was a bit skeptical that anyone could restart ARCHIE Comics; but after reading the first issue, all feelings of doubt vanished. The story was full of secrecy and it thoroughly intrigued me.

From the beginning, I recognized everyone's personality to be exactly the same. Kevin was energetic, Jughead was partial to food, and Betty was kind.

I felt the plot worked very nicely and made a lot of sense. I think I might recognize what will happen next in the story. I can't wait to read more.

I was surprised by the art, but I enjoyed how modern it looked. I thought that the characters resembled teenagers I might see today. I really approved of the way Fiona Staples drew the people's facial expressions. In my opinion, she did an amazing job with the art.

I think this comic is something that people of almost any age can enjoy. I am very excited for this and can't wait to read the next issues.

In Conclusion

No Caption Provided

I wasn't sure how an ARCHIE relaunch would be. Waid and Staples have modernized the characters and made them more relatable. They simply feel more real. I sometimes wondered how Archie was so popular since his character was sometimes a dweeb. Here, he does feel a little cooler. It's not a huge departure from who the character originally was. Waid and Staples just make it feel right.

No Caption Provided

The only thing I thought was a little odd was Archie was breaking the Fourth Wall in doing the introductions and describing where we're at in their lives. It wasn't done in an obnoxious fashion we sometimes see in a certain other comic. I am curious if this is something we'll see in each issue or if it's just for this first one. It does help readers connect more to Archie. If anything, it further separates the feel of the story from the previous incarnation.

My daughter and I often share similar tastes in comics but the fact that she's excited about this series now after having enjoyed the regular comics for so long is a good sign. This really is a comic that many can enjoy. Check it out when you visit your local comic shop. This looks to be the beginning of something really cool.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

This comic baffles me.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

It sounds like you would have given this 5 stars then if you guys still reviewed?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, no thanks.

galacticshrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Well, it's Mark Waid, so I'd assume it be of pretty good quality.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Hell yeah I'll be reading

~MiB

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@g_man: Why aren't you guys reviewing no more?

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article, I think I'll try this now :)

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

This is going to be my first ever Archie Comics!

Not counting Afterlife.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Nope. I liked Afterlife and Sabrina, but if they want to throw out the old style they can throw me out too. I'm tired of change for the sake of change. Like every other change the message from this one seems to be primarily "We never liked the old style anyway and you shouldn't have either." Carol's new costume, Jessica's new costume, Lois stabbing Superman in the back... too many changes designed to shake things up and the smug arrogance about how the old fans are so silly and fanboy-ish not to immediately embrace the new stuff... I'm tired of being stepped on.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soo they won't bring Veronica in for a while ?

Diannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is nice to see a young girl's perspective on a comic. Good job Skye! You need to tell your dad to let you handle the heavy lifting from now on. ;-)

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14 frozen  Moderator

I won't be supporting any of Waid's work with money. The man has become like Frank Miller - batshit stupid.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh I only found interest in Archie stuff from "Archie Weird Mysteries".

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it hard to believe ALL of the archiv comics are going this art style. Im sure alot of fans will resent it. I might give it a look tommorrow if its available at my lcs

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm usually open minded when it comes to comics. But I can't see myself reading Archie.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm giving it a look, already pre-ordered it. I like the team behind it and I'm willing to give it a bit of a go since you had a fan of the series give their impression.

fattytravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dv said:

Yeah, I'm not ever going to read Archie.

That they would kill Archie by having him protect a homosexual is beyond redemption.

I'm used to a certain amount of defeatist liberalism in the entertainment industry, but this went too far.

Not sure if trolling...

franksands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You had me at Mark Waid and Fiona Staples. At least for the first issues.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

said:

Yeah, I'm not ever going to read Archie.

That they would kill Archie by having him protect a homosexual is beyond redemption.

I'm used to a certain amount of defeatist liberalism in the entertainment industry, but this went too far.

Not sure if trolling...

Uhhhh, yeah. Definitely trolling.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By d9000

This was a really cool article. Nice to get two different perspectives on Archie. I hope the book does well but I don't know if they'll attract too many new fans. Existing fans should be in for a treat though.

I'm also sad that L'il G-Girl is a better writer than me ;p

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely stoked for this, I'm also pretty sure that Archie comics is still producing digests and other Archie books with the normal art. This only adds to what the company produces.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dv: your comments are lame.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not young enough or wanna-be-hipster enough to read Archie. Not happening...

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Fiona Staples...so good. Has it been announced how many issues she's drawing or who will be taking over? For that matter, is Waid the planned long term writer?

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Art looks great and I like the humor between the father and son. I'll pick it up. :)

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@frozen: how? What has he done to warrant that?

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This change is long overdue. I'm gonna check it out.

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@dv: Archie would have protected anyone. And there's no need for prejudice here.

mdamasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mdamasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How long is this creative team going to last? I have a feeling we'll see them for an arc or two at most...

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please don't feed the trolls. :)

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Fiona is gonna do the Art here.... What about Saga? Is she this do Art for 2 comic?

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I'm in.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dondave

@frozen said:

I won't be supporting any of Waid's work with money. The man has become like Frank Miller - batshit stupid.

lol.

What if he decided to do a sequel to Kingdome Come?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I will give it a shot.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 frozen  Moderator

@dondave: He already did...but even if he did another one, I wouldn't support it with money.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 frozen  Moderator

@sog7dc: @mdamasco: I responded to that but deleted it. It's in your notifications...

AshvsEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could fit fries and a large shake in my car door.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As someone who has only read Afterlife with Archie, I'm actually looking into this comic. The art looks enjoyable for my personal tastes and it'd be a nice switch up from the regular superhero related comics I'm constantly reading.

dkmark96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pretty good, it feels like Batgirl minus the costumed vigilantes.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

loved it!!! I never thought that I would be reading Archie comics after TMNT Adventures ended but here I am with so far 3 Archie books on my pull list and being super pumped to read them....Afterlife has just been plain great but it needs to get on a regular schedule...same with Sabrina...they're just too sporadic and that's the only complaint I have about them

this was refreshing....I love Mark Waid most of the time and Fiona Staples could draw anything and I would be reading it....definitely getting added to the pull list....excited for the Jughead book

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I give this a 5/5.. def going to continue to pick this up. Loved everything about it and want to continue to support Archie Comics.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Not all that interested in this book, but can you guys get back to reviewing comics again? It is why I started visiting this site in the first place. If you are just going to be a news site, then feature user reviews more prominently like you did back in the old days. I used to really like reviewing a book here and there, but its become pretty tough to even find user reviews nowadays, so there is hardly a point.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Nice to see Tony's kid doing a review! Nice work Skye! I hope g_man gives me a shot on writing an article someday too. That would be awesome. What do you think @g_man?

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mark Waid, eh? Looks like I'm picking it up.