The Trident

Warpath77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can anyone tell me what the trident can do, if anything? All the other relics from the dead king can do something except for the one that Arthur has, is that correct?

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Warpath77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I am speaking of the 52 trident, and ive never seen it do any sea controlling at all.

Avatar image for the_judge_since_83
The_Judge_since_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far all we know for sure about the trident is that it's indestructible (according to Vulko) and that it's the most powerful of the ancient relics (mentioned multiple times in the story arc of the Others), but that's all they've given us so far. I'm hoping we learn more soon and why Aquaman never uses whatever other abilities the trident has because you would think if it had any other abilities he would use them.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since the Dead King is now here, he might explain what it can do. I hope it is something good, I was formerly bent about it not being Poseidon's trident, but I got over it because that wasn't ever really used either.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's indestructible, said to be the most powerful of the Atlantean relics (until the Sceptre was revealed) and able to hurt extremely powerful opponents.

Apart from that it's also magic in nature.

Something I noticed in the Others saga is that when Black Manta uses the relics to open the tomb, Aquaman's Trident also starts glowing with power, although Aquaman is away from them.

So it is confirmed that it can emit some kind of energy, but not much more up to this point. But I'm guessing that something will be revealed in the current arc when he faces off with the creator of the items, the Dead King.

Warpath77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: So basically it cant do anything (at this point). Thanks to everyone who has answered, just found it odd, or just plain dumb that the relic thats said to be the "most powerful" cant do anything besides just look pretty.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By comicfan11

@warpath77: Of course it can do more than just look pretty.

It's indestructible (something that has not been said about the other relics) and it can hurt gods, like Darkseid.

Did you miss that part?

Warpath77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: So could Diana's sword, but you don't hear people talking about that. Don't get me wrong, Aquaman is one of my favorite characters, its just that the trident hasn't been shown to be able to do anything, where as the other relics are magical, just doesn't make any sense. Seems like he's received the short end of the stick, again

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Hmm I just realised it's not even a trident

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By comicfan11

@warpath77: I highly disagree. Diana's swords are also magical weapons. And her swords were able to hurt DS's eyes which are more vulnerable, but not his body.

Plus the trident is a weapon. A weapon's primary goal is to inflict damage. And the Trident so far does that better than any other melee weapon in DC (probably).

You could have all of the Others artifacts against Darkseid, and combined they would be of no effect to him. Certainly not as effective as the trident.

I understand you'd like for it to have some exotic powers (I'd also like it to have some sort of water manipulation), but it is so far a magical weapon that can hurt gods. And that is more important to a melee character than it being to summon storms and stuff.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The Trident does NOTHING. At least not yet. It is magic based and has hurt folk like Darkseid, but other than that? NOTHING.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blkson

@comicfan11:You could have all of the Others artifacts against Darkseid, and combined they would be of no effect to him. Certainly not as effective as the trident.

You do not know that. That has never been said true. But I can see how you could speculate that. But yeah, that has not been confirmed.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By comicfan11

@blkson: What's been confirmed is that

a) it's indestructible (only of the artifacts)

b) it can literally hurt and draw blood from an evil god

c) when Manta used the other artifacts to open the tomb, it started glowing with energy even though AQ was not there.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blkson

@comicfan11:

A) Yea I know that. All of the artifacts are indestructible I would presume. Although that has not been confirmed, I would imagine that all of them are.

B) yeah I know that

C) yea I know that but that doesn't mean it can emit energy.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By comicfan11

@blkson: Point is that Vulko only referred to the Trident as indestructible. The other artifacts might be indestructible but until it is confirmed, they can not be characterized as such.

Also my 3rd point was to show that the Trident harbors some magical energy nonetheless and I believe by the end of the current storyline we will see Johns explore it.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: Until it is confirmed that it can emit energy, then it can not be characterized as such. =)

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blkson: Never said it can emit energy.

But we have seen it glow with power. :)

Warpath77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: All the artifacts glowed with power, but non of them can emit energy (as far as we've seen). It glowing doesn't necessarily mean anything.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By comicfan11

@warpath77: I never said we have seen them emit energy. Why do you bring that up?

The glow means they harbor some kind of power.

The fact we haven't seen them do anything yet is inconsequential.

The power is there.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

@blkson: @warpath77: So far, the trident has only been revealed to be one of the powerful Atlantean relics and has been showcased when he was able to break through Dr. Graves' magical barrier which was deemed indestructible at the time back in the earlier Justice League issues. And like everyone else has been saying, I also think that they'll elaborate on the powers the trident possesses in this current story arc. Maybe we'll see Aquaman and the Dead King battle it out with their tridents and could showcase more of its capabilities.

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blkson

@raw_material: yea I know that.

@comicfan11 said:

@blkson: Never said it can emit energy.

But we have seen it glow with power. :)

Something I noticed in the Others saga is that when Black Manta uses the relics to open the tomb, Aquaman's Trident also starts glowing with power, although Aquaman is away from them.

So it is confirmed that it can emit some kind of energy, but not much more up to this point. But I'm guessing that something will be revealed in the current arc when he faces off with the creator of the items, the Dead King.

This is what I was referring to and I'm sure thats what warpath was referring too as well.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

@warpath77: I would think his trident possesses practically the same powers as the Dead King's current trident considering he was the one that created them including the Atlantean relics. His trident's powers will probably be showcased in the current story arc, 'Death of a King'.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Prior to the relaunch, the trident had some very notable powers, such as controlling the sea...however, since the reboot, I think all that Arthur has used it for was stabbing

soccerguy951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By soccerguy951

Since the Dead King, asked Aquaman to return his trident, this makes me think that the trident does have abilities and Arthur is just unaware of how to use them. Sort of goes with what the Dead King was saying about Arthur in general, in that he doesn't really know what it means to be King of the Seven Seas. So, I'm guessing the Trident will be explored further in upcoming issues.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicfan11: do you know what the pre new 52 trident power were?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BlackWind

@darknightspideyfanboy: If it did have any powers, they were never shown because the trident was never used. Some wikis will say the trident is basically Aquaman's Mjolnir, but not many on panel feats confirm it.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@darknightspideyfanboy: Pre New 52: indestructible, water manipulation, energy bolts, increase magical power of others

New 52: indestructible, able to hurt Darkseid, magical disruption (breaking Graves' mystical shield). New 52 trident hasn't had the chance to show many feats yet, but in time we'll get to see more

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: water manip, energy blasts, indestructible, able to channel and amplify the powers of magic users (like Tempest), like batmannflash already explained.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darknightspideyfanboy: water manip, energy blasts, indestructible, able to channel and amplify the powers of magic users (like Tempest), like batmannflash already explained.

Don't forget it could dispel magic too.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It hurt Darkseid in a terrible story...now that I think about it he stabbed Darkseid in the eye and nothing happened.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So cool if it was able to challenge lightning

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A question about Morgan le Fey and her attack which the trident either absorbed or tanked. I'm aware Morgan was a total beast pre 52, but I don't wanna assume. So what has she done new 52 that makes her blasts so powerful? I'd just like to know so no one can say it might have been the equivilant of a laser cannon or something.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

It hurt Darkseid in a terrible story...now that I think about it he stabbed Darkseid in the eye and nothing happened.

He stabs him in the chest too.

No Caption Provided

A question about Morgan le Fey and her attack which the trident either absorbed or tanked. I'm aware Morgan was a total beast pre 52, but I don't wanna assume. So what has she done new 52 that makes her blasts so powerful? I'd just like to know so no one can say it might have been the equivilant of a laser cannon or something.

as far as I know, this was her first appearance.

we probably can't quantify it yet.

might be wrong though.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Also, what about the shield that Aquaman broke in the Justice League books? It was...Grave's right?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@blackwind: Yes. Its possible it has anti-magic properties too given that feat and Morgan Le Fey feat.

No Caption Provided

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42  Edited By RedQueen

@comicfan11: So could Diana's sword, but you don't hear people talking about that. Don't get me wrong, Aquaman is one of my favorite characters, its just that the trident hasn't been shown to be able to do anything, where as the other relics are magical, just doesn't make any sense. Seems like he's received the short end of the stick, again

In Superman/Wonder Woman #1, Diana says that the sword can split atoms, due to it being forged by Hephaestus, and it being magical in nature (that's if it is indeed the same one). It can be assumed that Aquaman's trident has similar properties in terms of power at the very least. As a more direct answer to the question, all we really know about it is that its indestructible and magical in nature, as well as being able to hurt Darkseid.