#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

The Atlanteans to communicate under water? In the comics and cartoons they just pretty much talk normally but I really cant see that working in live action, two ways I think they can do it is:

A: They talk telepathically

or

B: The Atlantean langue sounds similar to dolphin/whale song.

Personally I would love if they went with the whale song idea but that would mean they would have to sub it and they might be reluctent to do that. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Captain13 (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

If Atlanteans speak in whale noises, I'll laugh my butt out of the theater.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: Not straight whale song but something that sounds like how aquatic animals communicate, I mean it's a hell of a lot better than just speaking English underwater like it's normal.

#4 Posted by HulkandSupermanFTW (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Atlanteans have a universal translator for submarine forms of life. Aquaman will communicate by thoughts telephatically to be understood. Btw no need for the whales or dolphins to answer him, they will just act as hypnotised puppets :)

#5 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@hulkandsupermanftw: I don't think a universal translator would work in live action, it seems pretty hokey

#6 Posted by Knightfall225 (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

talking telepathically wold be boring and dolphin sound sounds be ridiclous.They will talk regularly underwatter most likely. im pretty sure they will find a way to make it work.

#7 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightfall225: talking English would be stupid, have you ever tried to talk under water? It doesn't work.

#8 Edited by FearTheLiving (2513 posts) - - Show Bio

I would rather them just talk underwater then make whale noises that sounds more hokey then a universal translator lol.

Though I would laugh so hard if they tried to get the actors to recreate this.

#9 Posted by Knightfall225 (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: o but talking like a whale makes complete sense right?? The atlanteans adapted to their surrounding right so I'm pretty sure they could adapt to talking. Breathing underwater is harder than talking underwater and atlanteans do that pretty fine

#10 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@feartheliving: I said something similar, what makes this so ridiculous but the bad guys in Avengers speaking alien langues fine?

@knightfall225: Of course it makes sense, sound doesn't carry underwater like it does in air so they would adapt and speak like aquatic mammals because that's exactly what they are.

#11 Posted by FearTheLiving (2513 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Nothing I suppose just picturing them doing it is hilarious. It could work just fine.

#12 Edited by Knightfall225 (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: i still dont see them going that way. The majority of the movie would be in Atlantis and having the atlanteans only speak with dolphin song would be the majority of the film. I see it as the Atlanteans speaking English underwater but it sounds like dolphin songs to regular humans

#13 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightfall225: I'm not talking about an Aquaman movie, that will never happen IMO but when\if he's introduced in a Justice League film, like if they decide for an Atlantis Attacks style story.

#14 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15106 posts) - - Show Bio

They will probably do it like they did the Gungans. Where the city is protected by a shield and they talk normally.

Talking like whales or dolphins would literally be the dumbest thing eve.r

#15 Edited by Knightfall225 (1720 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: So how would that make them aquatic if they dont spend time time in the water?

#17 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15106 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@fallschirmjager: So how would that make them aquatic if they dont spend time time in the water?

...because the city is underwater?

Its not like it matters. As long as their from atlantis and they're metahuman they don't have to be underwater. Atlantis has been on the surface on and off through its history. It can be a surface island or an underwater city.

#18 Posted by Justthatkid (2776 posts) - - Show Bio

Same, and then I would cry knowing he won't get another shot.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: No it cant, for a race of humans to evolve in to an aquatic life form then there going to need to spend all there time in the water, only Aquaman should be different since he's a half breed raised on the surface. Also how are they meant to speak to each other while there under the water?

#20 Edited by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

Why can't they just talk normally??

A group of people live in an underwater civilization and their king talks to fish telepathically, has super strength, and fights along side people who dress up in costumes and fly and sh*t...and I am going to be bothered by them talking normally underwater??

OK

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13 said:

Ok then picture them speaking plain English while underwater and tell me that isn't just as retarded?

#22 Edited by batmannflash (6189 posts) - - Show Bio

Talking normally, definitely.

#23 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15106 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@fallschirmjager: No it cant, for a race of humans to evolve in to an aquatic life form then there going to need to spend all there time in the water, only Aquaman should be different since he's a half breed raised on the surface. Also how are they meant to speak to each other while there under the water?

They're fictional beings. They can be whatever they want.

They don't have to be underwater because Atlantis hasn't always been underwater in comics. And if they are underwater they can easily put up shields (they have done this in the past too) and talk normally.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Have watched Man of Steel? That's the kind of world this needs to fit in to, a race of humanoid aquatic mammals aren't going to speak english while swimming about underwater, how would they even do that? Or would all underwater scenes be CGI like in Lord of the Rings?

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

They don't have to be underwater because Atlantis hasn't always been underwater in comics. And if they are underwater they can easily put up shields (they have done this in the past too) and talk normally.

Again how would that work in the Man of Steel world? So these pepole are just super strong normal pepole that live on a floating island?

#26 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15106 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Again how would that work in the Man of Steel world? So these pepole are just super strong normal pepole that live on a floating island?

Do you really have that little imagination? Amazons are cloaked in comics, why can't atlanteans?

Or what about alternate dimensions? Xebel is originally an water dimension.

The fact of the matter is, you're never going to be able to portray non-humans realistically. Kryptonians aren't realistic in MoS.

All I can tell you is talking like Dolphins is stupid. And there are numerous options to not do that.

#27 Posted by Justthatkid (2776 posts) - - Show Bio

@justthatkid said:

@captain13 said:

Ok then picture them speaking plain English while underwater and tell me that isn't just as retarded?

If they do the dome suggestion like Fallschirmager said, they could have something that filters the salt water into moisture allowing them to survive while still able to swim at these pressures.

Or they could properly do their job and find out research on how sea life such as whales could open their mouths with out being bothered with all that water around them, and incorporate this explanation to show why he's able to.

#28 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

So much this.

#29 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Have watched Man of Steel? That's the kind of world this needs to fit in to, a race of humanoid aquatic mammals aren't going to speak english while swimming about underwater, how would they even do that? Or would all underwater scenes be CGI like in Lord of the Rings?

Unfortunately, I did. :)

So, the world of Man of Steel is realistic enough to have aliens, that look exactly like earthlings, speak perfect english, and can fly and have superhuman powers, but having Atlanteans would be farfetched??

#30 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see a problem with them talking normally....

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Ok if your done insulting my imagination, you really think having alt dimension pepole that aren't aquatic in nature living on a floating island is less stupid than having them communicate like actual aquatic mammals?

@jonny_anonymous said:

@justthatkid said:

@captain13 said:

If they do the dome suggestion like Fallschirmager said, they could have something that filters the salt water into moisture allowing them to survive while still able to swim at these pressures.

Or they could properly do their job and find out research on how sea life such as whales could open their mouths with out being bothered with all that water around them, and incorporate this explanation to show why he's able to.

Having water in your mouth isn't the reason why you cant talk, it's because sound doesn't travel in liquid. So you'd be ok with Aquaman being nothing different than a normal human other than have better some better scuba diving tech?

#32 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: picture it in your head and tell me that doesn't seem stupid?

#33 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11091 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to speak normally. The water is CGI regardless so they could talk normally and it wouldn't be a problem. Though if they choose for that not to be an option, I'd go telepathy.

#34 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6129 posts) - - Show Bio

Telepathy. Whale noises would be hilarious.

#35 Posted by LyraFay (2470 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman in the recent Geoff Johns' run said that telepathy between fish and him is impossible because their brains can only proceed so much information at the time.

#36 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: @arturocalakayvee: My problem with TP isthat makes Aquaman less unique if everybody can do it. Also I fail to see whats so funny about how aquatic animals communicate.

#37 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15106 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Ok if your done insulting my imagination, you really think having alt dimension pepole that aren't aquatic in nature living on a floating island is less stupid than having them communicate like actual aquatic mammals?

Have you read any Aquaman comics at all? Atlanteans originaly were surface people. And Atlantis has rised to the surface before. And like I've said several times, you can have a shield around the city (this is in comics too!) so they can talk normally.

And yes. Talking like dolphins is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Aquaman gets enough unwarranted fish jokes (I'm aware dolphins aren't fish) as is, you really think that's going to be seen as cool?

#38 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Have you read any Aquaman comics at all? Atlanteans originaly were surface people. And Atlantis has rised to the surface before. And like I've said several times, you can have a shield around the city (this is in comics too!) so they can talk normally.

And yes. Talking like dolphins is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Aquaman gets enough unwarranted fish jokes (I'm aware dolphins aren't fish) as is, you really think that's going to be seen as cool?

Of course I'v read the comics. Yes and the city sunk then they all evolved to be aquatic in nature, whats the problem? Also it dosn't matter a f*ck waht happens in the comics as that doesn't translate to films.

Whats so funny about that yet aliens speaking a different langue is a-ok?

#39 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11091 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: @arturocalakayvee: My problem with TP isthat makes Aquaman less unique if everybody can do it. Also I fail to see whats so funny about how aquatic animals communicate.

Seeing them communicate like aquatic animals would be funny to most people because it's just silly to see people go KEEE KEEEEEEE SKOOOOOOOO even though it make the MOST sense. Also, in the MOS universe - who can use TP that would make Aquaman less unique?

#40 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15106 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Of course I'v read the comics. Yes and the city sunk then they all evolved to be aquatic in nature, whats the problem? Also it dosn't matter a f*ck waht happens in the comics as that doesn't translate to films.

I've given you about 4 different scenarios, any one of them easily feasible.

You think people squeaking like dolphins is better than alien languages? Seriously?

#41 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Seeing them communicate like aquatic animals would be funny to most people because it's just silly to see people go KEEE KEEEEEEE SKOOOOOOOO even though it make the MOST sense. Also, in the MOS universe - who can use TP that would make Aquaman less unique?

If all Atlanteans have TP it would make Aquaman less unique. I didn't say exactly like whales and dolphins, just a langue that's sounds similar, I'm sure the movie makers could make it sound better.

@jonny_anonymous said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I've given you about 4 different scenarios, any one of them easily feasible.

Dude. Really? You think people squeaking like dolphins is better than alien languages? Seriously?

I said similar, to how aquatic life communicates not the same.

#42 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15106 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: All Atlanteans do have TP though. Aquaman's is just better.

I don't even know what to tell you. You're literally teh only one who thinks that is the good idea here.

#43 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: I'm pretty sure it isn't in anyway literal, maybe in the minority.