#1 Edited by BlackWind (7232 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I know, rare opinion, right?

Now, before anyone tries to chew me out just remember that I have plenty of losts on this forun detailing my support for Aquaman.

But in a word, I think Sea King's design is...excessive.

Sure, PAD Aquaman got me into the character. And it's GREAT seeing that look again with modern art. But, the missing hand, which isn't even replaced by an actual harpoon btw, the seemingly blind eye, and the trident? It just. looks a bit too much for me. He wouldn't evsn be able to use the trident properly with one arm! And Orm rocks purple better than Orin.

Needless to say, I ain't feeling that design. And his nane is horribly silver age.

#2 Edited by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackwind: I agree on some of your points but overall I think this design is near perfect.

1) I agree that it's a pretty busy design, I could do without that shell thing on his shoulder and the trident, maybe eve the scarred eye (though that's a minor detail). The long hair, beard and harpoon hand should be enough, since those are the classic 90s Aquaman characteristics.

2) Orm indeed does rock purple better, but as far as unusual sights go it makes perfect sense for an evil Aquaman.

3) The name "Sea King" could not be better and more fitting. It's "silver age" like because that's the point. It makes sense if you take into account how Silvr Age like and generic the Crime Syndicates names are. Ultra-Man, Super-Woman, Power-Ring, Owl-Man, Sea-King. The name is perfect for this character.

#3 Posted by TDK_1997 (15102 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody will chew you.There are people that like different stuff.You don't like his design but I on the other hand I even love it.

#4 Edited by jointron33 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

It should look "edgy", he's a villain.

#5 Edited by Yuri_Omega (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: There is such a thing as "trying too hard". Though Sea king does not fit that bill.

#6 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait....he's dead right?

#7 Posted by jointron33 (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

@yuri_omega: They're supposed to be "edgy" versions of the character

#8 Posted by comicfan11 (740 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: No.

He will be in Justice League Dark 26

"A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! The Crime Syndicate’s Sea King, last seen at the end of “Trinity War,” has cheated death and plagues the JL Dark team!"

As if the puny Crime Syndicate would be powerful enough to destroy the awesomeness that is Peter David's 90s Aquaman...(joking but still great to see ANY new version of Aquaman around).

Now if only DC would make a new miniseries with normal Aquaman and Injustice Aquaman teaming up to fight Emperor Aquaman and Sea King...

#9 Posted by Justthatkid (4704 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm personally not that much a fan of the Hook Hand it just was a weapon that replaced the trident, his water hand actually did stuff :) but I won't rant about that, overall he doesn't even really even get a design he basically raided Orm's closet.

#10 Posted by Justthatkid (4704 posts) - - Show Bio

I am happy they made a earth 3 version of Aquaman which overall is what matters.

#11 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the beard and long hair, reminds me of what a wise, warrior-like king would look like; wish Aquaman would adopt a look like that.

#12 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13694 posts) - - Show Bio

its the only New 52 CS look that i actually like besides Ultraman, Atomica, and Grid.

#13 Edited by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

I have noticed that it's 90's Aquaman with New 52 Ocean Master's outfit.

I also agree that "Sea King" is an uninspiring name.

Previously, another evil version of Aquaman briefly appeared called "Barracuda" which was a good name.

I don't know why Barracuda, name or appearance, wasn't used, but I am happy that he's based on 90's Aquaman and is actually getting some attention by DC. For all my critiques, I do like Sea King.

#14 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: No.

He will be in Justice League Dark 26

"A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! The Crime Syndicate’s Sea King, last seen at the end of “Trinity War,” has cheated death and plagues the JL Dark team!"

As if the puny Crime Syndicate would be powerful enough to destroy the awesomeness that is Peter David's 90s Aquaman...(joking but still great to see ANY new version of Aquaman around).

Now if only DC would make a new miniseries with normal Aquaman and Injustice Aquaman teaming up to fight Emperor Aquaman and Sea King...

Ah alright, thanks for filling me in.

I agree with most of your points, by the by. The generic name, the bearded look, it's all cool with me. I still don't quite like the purple, largely because of the similarities to Orm, though.

#15 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

I was told how awesome the costume was before I actually saw it so I was kind of underwhelmed because in my opinion it doesn't live up to the hype however I do like it. I don't have a problem with him having both the hook and the trident I'm sure he has someway to use them in tandem effectively

#16 Posted by Raw_Material (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the New 52 designs are pretty rad, and the Sea King's one of them.