BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlackWind

Yeah, I know, rare opinion, right?

Now, before anyone tries to chew me out just remember that I have plenty of losts on this forun detailing my support for Aquaman.

But in a word, I think Sea King's design is...excessive.

Sure, PAD Aquaman got me into the character. And it's GREAT seeing that look again with modern art. But, the missing hand, which isn't even replaced by an actual harpoon btw, the seemingly blind eye, and the trident? It just. looks a bit too much for me. He wouldn't evsn be able to use the trident properly with one arm! And Orm rocks purple better than Orin.

Needless to say, I ain't feeling that design. And his nane is horribly silver age.

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By comicfan11

@blackwind: I agree on some of your points but overall I think this design is near perfect.

1) I agree that it's a pretty busy design, I could do without that shell thing on his shoulder and the trident, maybe eve the scarred eye (though that's a minor detail). The long hair, beard and harpoon hand should be enough, since those are the classic 90s Aquaman characteristics.

2) Orm indeed does rock purple better, but as far as unusual sights go it makes perfect sense for an evil Aquaman.

3) The name "Sea King" could not be better and more fitting. It's "silver age" like because that's the point. It makes sense if you take into account how Silvr Age like and generic the Crime Syndicates names are. Ultra-Man, Super-Woman, Power-Ring, Owl-Man, Sea-King. The name is perfect for this character.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Nobody will chew you.There are people that like different stuff.You don't like his design but I on the other hand I even love it.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By jointron33

It should look "edgy", he's a villain.

Yuri_Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yuri_Omega

@jointron33: There is such a thing as "trying too hard". Though Sea king does not fit that bill.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Veshark

Wait....he's dead right?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@yuri_omega: They're supposed to be "edgy" versions of the character

comicfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@veshark: No.

He will be in Justice League Dark 26

"A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! The Crime Syndicate’s Sea King, last seen at the end of “Trinity War,” has cheated death and plagues the JL Dark team!"

No Caption Provided

As if the puny Crime Syndicate would be powerful enough to destroy the awesomeness that is Peter David's 90s Aquaman...(joking but still great to see ANY new version of Aquaman around).

Now if only DC would make a new miniseries with normal Aquaman and Injustice Aquaman teaming up to fight Emperor Aquaman and Sea King...

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I like the beard and long hair, reminds me of what a wise, warrior-like king would look like; wish Aquaman would adopt a look like that.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

its the only New 52 CS look that i actually like besides Ultraman, Atomica, and Grid.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DEADPOOL

I have noticed that it's 90's Aquaman with New 52 Ocean Master's outfit.

I also agree that "Sea King" is an uninspiring name.

Previously, another evil version of Aquaman briefly appeared called "Barracuda" which was a good name.

No Caption Provided

I don't know why Barracuda, name or appearance, wasn't used, but I am happy that he's based on 90's Aquaman and is actually getting some attention by DC. For all my critiques, I do like Sea King.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: No.

He will be in Justice League Dark 26

"A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! The Crime Syndicate’s Sea King, last seen at the end of “Trinity War,” has cheated death and plagues the JL Dark team!"

No Caption Provided

As if the puny Crime Syndicate would be powerful enough to destroy the awesomeness that is Peter David's 90s Aquaman...(joking but still great to see ANY new version of Aquaman around).

Now if only DC would make a new miniseries with normal Aquaman and Injustice Aquaman teaming up to fight Emperor Aquaman and Sea King...

Ah alright, thanks for filling me in.

I agree with most of your points, by the by. The generic name, the bearded look, it's all cool with me. I still don't quite like the purple, largely because of the similarities to Orm, though.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was told how awesome the costume was before I actually saw it so I was kind of underwhelmed because in my opinion it doesn't live up to the hype however I do like it. I don't have a problem with him having both the hook and the trident I'm sure he has someway to use them in tandem effectively

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

Most of the New 52 designs are pretty rad, and the Sea King's one of them.