En Sabah Nur what does it translate to & language is it

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Namor1987

I'd like to know the origin of Apocalypse's birth name & what it means? Thanks guys
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CATPANEXE

it translates to " The First One " and technically it's from a fictional unknown language which assumes an old lost language, as it does
not translate correctly in real life.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By EnSabahNurX

^___^ They explained it on x-men evolution, but things never translate well in real life. It's a rough translation most likely from a varied dialect in egypt 

meldodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turkish for "The Morning Light"

(Source: "How to Avoid Dumb Answers", by Google Translate)

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By DEADPOOL

I've heard that it's supposed to be Egyptian for "The First One," but it's actually a mistranslation meaning "The Seven Lights."

danie_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By danie_0

As an Arabic language student of four years I understand his name to be written as " ان صباح نور" literally translating to "The Morning Light"

danie_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadpool: I believe your translation might also be a mistranslation. You seem to have confused the word for morning and seven. To a non-Arabic speaker it is very easy to do. Pretty sure the literal translation is "The Morning Light" especially since I've seen him also called Son of the Morning Fire.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By DEADPOOL

@danie_0 said:

@deadpool: I believe your translation might also be a mistranslation. You seem to have confused the word for morning and seven. To a non-Arabic speaker it is very easy to do. Pretty sure the literal translation is "The Morning Light" especially since I've seen him also called Son of the Morning Fire.

Thank you for your input. I gotta say though, the actual translation is reminiscent of "The Morning Star." Are they trying to connect him with Lucifer?

Urim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Arabic it means The Dawn Light or the Morning Light. Lucifer means holder of the light or the morning star so maybe there's a connection. especially that they chose the date 5000 ago, the same plot as yu-gi-oh! where the most powerful monster is the "creator of light".

TheSilentChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheSilentChief

I'm disappointed in the language they used. Sabah-al nur is Arabic for Good Morning. Similiarly, En Sabah Nur is The Morning Light in Arabic (and probably Turkish; they share some words). HOWEVER, the closest modern language to the Ancient Egyptian language is Coptic. This is spoken in Egyptian churches. I could basically get my priest to tell me how to say "The First One" or "Morning Light" in Coptic, and it would make much more sense historically. The Ancient Egyptians were not Arab nor did they speak Arabic. Both the people and the language were limited to the Arabian peninsula until the 600's AD when Muhammad led the creation of the first Arab empire.

Even better, the comic writers could've consulted an egyptologist and asked how to say "The First One" in Hieratic. Hieratic evolved into Demotic, which roughly evolved into Coptic, still spoken today.