Search API is down!

cbanack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cbanack
EDIT - IT SEEMS THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PREMIUM ACCOUNT ATTACHED TO YOUR API KEY IN ORDER FOR SEARCHES TO WORK

When I bought a premium account, suddenly my API key went back to working as it did before. Not sure if this is an intentional policy change by Whiskey Media, or if it is just a bug that was introduced into the Web API.

EDIT #2 - I've heard back from Whiskey Media and ComicVine, they've confirmed that this is a bug that will be fixed in the near future. Thanks guys!

---------------------------------------

Hi,

I am the author and maintainer of a moderately popular tool that uses the ComicVine API, and in the last 6 hours I have had many complaints that my application has stopped working.

Here's what I can piece together:

Sometime on Sept 21, something changed in the ComicVine web API for the "search" resource, and that change now makes it impossible to search for comic books using the public API.

Specifically, the following type of query has worked just fine in my application for a year or two now:

http://api.comicvine.com/search/?api_key=YOUR-API-KEY-HERE&format=xml&limit=20&resources=volume&query=batman&offset=0

But today, it returns nothing, i.e. the same kind of results I'd get if I searched for "aldkfjaslfkjaslkfdjslakdfjasldkfj".

If I remove the "resources=volume" part of the query string, I do sometimes get some "video" results back (depending on the search term I use), but never any other resource. Of course, this means my app can no longer search for comic book volumes at all. :(

---------------------------

So has the API changed in some way? Is this maybe just a bug that was introduced today?

I'm eager to get my application working properly again, so I'd love to hear from anyone with any insights.

69Samael69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By 69Samael69

I'll second these concerns. I wrote an application that identifies missing issues within my collection. In this case, ComicVine is God for as far as what my application will find. It also relies on the search function of the API in order to be effective.

600WPMPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 600WPMPO

I would like to request the administrators of the ComicVine site to please look into this 'bug' so that users who use cbanack's ComicVine scraper could benefit from the excellent services of ComicVine.

Gunslinger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gunslinger6

ComicVine, please fix this!

Peteparker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#5  Edited By Peteparker

Hi, I use this application as well. Please help us correct it! :)

Hypo-Calvinist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hypo-Calvinist

Comic Vine Scraper, is the reason I use Comic Vine. While this is my first forum post, I have done enough editing to have just shy of 15,000 wiki points. If I can't scrape, I won't edit. I don't mean to be a jerk here, I'm just saying, the reason I started to edit was to fill in gaps in my collection that were missing or had incomplete CV entries. If we can't scrape with Comic Vine Scraper, I have no reason to keep editing. Thanks

600WPMPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 600WPMPO

@Hypo-Calvinist said:

Comic Vine Scraper, is the reason I use Comic Vine. While this is my first forum post, I have done enough editing to have just shy of 15,000 wiki points. If I can't scrape, I won't edit. I don't mean to be a jerk here, I'm just saying, the reason I started to edit was to fill in gaps in my collection that were missing or had incomplete CV entries. If we can't scrape with Comic Vine Scraper, I have no reason to keep editing. Thanks

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Cobra06660

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cobra06660

I can only second this request. The Scraper is a great opportunity to use Comic Vine and the infos gathered here by dedicated folks. Im willed to contribute, but like Hypo-Calvinist mentioned without the opportunity to use cbanacks application theres no reason to contibute...

So long

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By jamesewelch

There's lot of apps using the API. Hopefully, this gets resolved sooner than later. I typed up a list of API bugs and wish lists a while ago, but so far (AFAIK) none has been resolved or reviewed or commented on.

natethelen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By natethelen

This affects me, too, and I would love to see it resolved. I became a paid member mostly because of the API and its ability to search comics.

rmagere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rmagere

Just adding another vote towards addressing this issue

perezmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By perezmu

Anyone reading this thread?

cbanack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cbanack

I'm reading it, about once every 20 minutes. ;)

flounder56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By flounder56

Fix please.

69Samael69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 69Samael69

@600WPMPO said:

@Hypo-Calvinist said:

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I've only made a few edits so far, but, like others have said, I've ONLY made those edits so the API can find them properly or pull the correct/complete information. Without the API, I would not have made the edits.

Tardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tardy

Please. It would be great if someone could look into this and find out what is happening or provide more information.

iDumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By iDumb

I too would like to add my voice to that of the horde expressing irritation due to this minor inconvenience

Tension113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tension113

+1 to the list of sad users..

Cbanack's tool is what first introduced me to CV awhile back and it's become one of my most visited sites ever since.. Hoping for some good news soon..

marcdh1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By marcdh1

Please Please fix

tojphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tojphantom

I second everyone's statement! It would be a great loss if Comic Vine Scraper stopped working and even just a post acknowledging the problem from Comic Vine's staff would be great!

Xadnem23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Xadnem23

Ditto. Love this tool, and I contribute to the wiki too.

demonater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By demonater10

It's ironic, the failing of Comicvine Scraper due to the API update has actually made me register with Comic Vine.  I have spent the last 4 hours contributing to the wiki as well.

However, I'm not trying to minimize the sheer awesomeness of Comicvine Scraper, and my deep disappointment in the process I had to go through to index comics this week without Comicvine Scraper.

Kephas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kephas

+1

would never have heard about ComicVine if it wasn't right there in the name of the Scraper

forkicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By forkicks

Could we at least get a "sure, we'll look into it" or a "you can go take a hike" instead of this deafening silence.

fK

grosnours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By grosnours

Does it change something if I add my voice to the others? I will just hope it does. We need at least an aknowledgment. Thanks.

whinkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By whinkle

ComicVine powers-that-be, let me add yet another voice saying that the Scraper is the only reason I joined ComicVine. During the short time of my membership, I have contributed 8,000+ points worth of edits. How about fixing the API problem? Or at least say something about it?

kenji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By kenji

Another vote. Please, folks, look into this ASAP

alexelfeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By alexelfeo

Please fix it allready, or answer, because you're not helping.

Hypo-Calvinist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hypo-Calvinist

It's working again....

cbanack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cbanack

Yup, I had to buy a paid/premium account. Once I did that, the Web API key attached to my account started working normally again.

600WPMPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 600WPMPO

A big thanks to cbanack. I shall remain indebted to you for whatever worthwhile portion of my meaningless existence is there.

andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By andy

Hey guys, this should be resolved now. Sorry about that.

Cobra06660

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cobra06660

Seems to work again :) :) :)

notimetoulouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By notimetoulouse

@Lord Sedrik said:

Hey guys, this should be resolved now. Sorry about that.

Thanks much!

Hypo-Calvinist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hypo-Calvinist

@cbanack: Thanks for that.