Missing the basics?

bsimser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bsimser

New here but I'm wondering if I'm missing something really simple.

The api page doesn't really say much about the API and the resource page is great for each resource and as complete as needed but there are some basics that, after poking around and trying, I found out. For example, every request has to have "api_key=[your api key]" in it to be valid. If you want json instead of xml add "format=json" to the query. You know, the basics. It took finding a few examples to even find the api (you can use api.comicvine.com or comicvine.com/api as the root).

Did I miss a documentation page on getting started or do people have to guess at these things like I did?

Thanks

PedroPaulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By PedroPaulo

I... have to agree.

nekorename

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's basically it. Trial and error. Some examples would have been nice, CV. :)

As far as I know, there's not much beyond what you've listed there. I know that certain resources can be paged through 'offset' and 'limit' but others need 'page' instead of 'offset'. (I think the search one is the main culprit here.)

donnrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donnrri:

For search use

http://www.comicvine.com/api/search/?api_key=your-key&query=your-character&format=json

Don't want to sound ungrateful but it looks like you have to trawl through the forum and find information that way. By the way the search functionality of the forum doesn't seem to be very good at finding anything

Avatar image for adrianrodriguez
adrianrodriguez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donnrri: Yea, it's a problem I have noticed here as well, it's not ungrateful per say, but you're aware as are many other devs, and it's rather quiet on the side of mods here. So we're basically having to help each other at the moment and hope someone else can come in and actually respond from time to time.