inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

It's a battle between Darren Cross and Scott Lang! Cross has taken Cassie's heart and she's dying. The first half of this issue is a great fight between the hero and the villain. It's straight-forward stuff and a ton of fun to read because Scott's narration drives the whole fight. We also get to see all of Scott's powers at work here and while I normally hate the over-explanation of power-sets during battles, it works in narration form because there are elements to it we can't see, like mass redistribution.

I'm really enjoying how Nick Spencer is writing Scott Lang. He's not a typical hero. He's looking to make things right with his daughter and just overall redemption for the wrongs he's committed in his life and this book really nails that aspect. It makes Scott a much more compelling character because, let's face it, Ant-Man is a character that's hard to take seriously as a hero and he can't be presented in the same light as Spider-Man or Captain America, so Spencer takes a great angle in presenting this book which will grip in readers for the long run.

Aside from the fight, Scott has to go inside Cassie, kinda like the movie Innerspace, and help Cassie survive all of this. It almost sounds silly, but once again, the narration drives the moment and it's actually incredibly touching as it's really about a father trying to be a father for his child. This first art wraps up exceptionally well.

Artist Ramon Rosanas and colorist Jordan Boyd continue to deliver some great art. What makes it work so well is that tonally, it works so well with the writing and vice versa. Rosanas does a great job with facial expressions, and there's a few emotional moments that Ramon nails here. Boyd's colors are flat, but it gives the book an "animated" feel to it, which helps with the tone a lot.

The Bad

So Cross now has Pym particles in his system. What does that mean for Cassie? I know it's stupid to think they're all inside of her heart... but....

The Verdict

The first arc of ANT-MAN is a hit. We're seeing Scott Lang step up as a hero and a father, and while he isn't completely redeemed in his own eyes, he's working his way back up the ladder to be a hero. ANT-MAN is a fun, comedic book with a big heart, and that's the biggest appeal to it. I highly recommend checking this book and this series out, especially if there's still a hole in your heart where SUPERIOR FOES used to be.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ScrappyDont27

Going to have to pick up the trade of this, sounds great!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

So picking up the trade. I'm calling it now, Cross Is gonna be the new Yellowjacket

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

damn right 5 stars!

~MiB

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@ostyo said:

@madeinbangladesh: Series worth checking out?

Yes YES YES! YES!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!

Every issue is awesome.

~MiB

CookieVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@madeinbangladesh: Series worth checking out?

Yes YES YES! YES!!! YESSSSSSS!!!!

Every issue is awesome.

~MiB

I couldn't agree more!

Spencer's Ant-Man really is fantastic!

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this series. Every issue is still 5 out of 5 stars.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: I promise you won't regret it. Excellent series

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is this getting cancelled after Secret Wars??

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@transformers1024: Spencer said on his Tumblr that it's a wait and see like many titles after Secret Wars. Since the book sells well I doubt it will be cancelled then again Marvel does very odd things all the time.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531: Alrighty. Sure hope it doesn't get canceled, I have bad luck when it comes to that. XO

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RageEx2

I have to say, Scott leaving Cassie really struck a chord. Book did a great job of conveying how hard it was for him.

Burnout1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite part of the cover is antman riding something in a blood vessel..aka water mixture and he isn't wearing anything to cover his mouth lol so apparently antman doesn't need to breath

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes!! Everyone should give this a try. This first arc is magnificent. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come.

Anty-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anty-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnout1212:

but it doesn't bother you that he's riding something within the bloodstream like a horse? ???

Anty-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this book! keep up the good work, Spencer!

P.S. incorporating Ms.Patriot was pretty brilliant. who better to team up with a shrinking hero than someone with enhanced hearing?

TheDanquah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnout1212: To his defence, he actually uses a "breath thingy" in the story. But yeah, major issue should be her not getting blood poisoning from Scott himself.

Anyway FANTASTIC arc of the Pym-powered redeeming theif who just tries to be a father and what might be a small step towards him being a great hero. I love my heroes with flaws and he is filled with them, while still staying completely humane.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anty-hero: he has pym particles in his system now right? So he could just shrink in to it or make one big enough for himself. Idk, I just can't wait to read this series.

Anty-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Anty-Hero

@anty-hero: he has pym particles in his system now right? So he could just shrink in to it or make one big enough for himself. Idk, I just can't wait to read this series.

my point was (in effect) a hulking pink guy would look kind of silly in the Yellowjacket costume. plus, it wouldn't make him more formidable than he right now. if he does have Pym particles, he's already able to go giant-size; on top of already being a giant. just seems like it would be redundant to also make him Yellowjacket (just for the sake of synergy). I could see Augustine maybe giving it a go, though.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anty-hero: that's assuming he remains all bulked up. But yeah Augustine makes sense too.