gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Angela is becoming a more and more complex and interesting character in the Marvel Universe. While I did read the series in which she debuted years ago, I can barely recall any real depth or character given to her. Now that it’s been revealed what her true heritage is and with her own series, Kieron Gillen and Marguerite Bennett are exploring the possibilities of who she is and what she’s really about.

The first issue showed Angela on the run. It turns out she took something from Asgard that could only lead to a massive pursuit. With the revelation at the end of the first issue, we do journey back a little to the moments prior to her big departure from Asgard. As the action and pursuit kick into gear, we also get to find out more about what makes Angela who she is.

The art and colors really fits the majestic feel of the story. Phil Jimenez handles the art in the main part of the story. There's plenty of action and the detail is superb. Romulo Fajardo's color sets the perfect tone for the art and situations. Stephanie Hans' art for the real flashback scenes has a cool feel to it as well. Normally I get bothered by different artists in the same book but the distinction between current events and the past is clear.

The Bad

The flashback part where we find out more about Angela's character and integrity is great but does feel a little out of place. The situation that brought it up and how long the telling is feels slightly intrusive to the main story. It's no wonder their pursuers were able to catch up to them after a five-page telling of Angela's relationship and time with the Angels.

We still don't know exactly why Angela decided to take the baby. It's also surprising that the baby hasn't cried or wanted to be fed but that could just be due to Asgardian physiology.

The Verdict

ANGELA: ASGARD'S ASSASSIN is shaping up to be a book full of action and characterization. We're finding out more about the potential of Angela's character and what she's all about. Kieron Gillen is crafting a fun and exciting tale with Angela going up against certain Asgardians and the flashback sequences by Gillen and Bennett add even more to who Angela is. While the flashback is informative, it did feel a little out of place in the time and moment it was told. If you've been craving some good old fashioned and bombastic action and storytelling, you need to check out what ANGELA is all about.

Gp3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"We still don't know exactly why Angela decided to take the baby. It's also surprising that the baby hasn't cried or wanted to be fed but that could just be due to Asgardian physiology."

Angela said to the Angels Queen "You know what i owe you", i think that she will delivery the new heir of Asgard to pay her debt of being alive, seems to be how her psychology works.

Funny you mentioned "Asgardian physiology", so Freyja was pregnant in the end of Matt Fraction run on Thor (The mighty Thor 2011), as Freyja recall the Aesir/Vanir war, but this never was mentioned in any Asgard related Book (Journey Into Mystery, Thor GOT or Loki AA, or the Tenth realm event), even in Agent Roz with Mjolnir new book, Aaron never Address this, who would thought that Freyja was pregnant when she was talking to Odin on the Moon? and the events of Angela Asgard Assassin are after Jason Aaron publicity stunt issue 1, because Thor Odinson already has his metal arm.

I thought Aaron just ignore Freyja pregnancy from Fraction Mighty Thor, guess marvel didn't ... But even with the Asgardian physiology excuse (Asgardian pregnancy is different???), the time line of the Asgard new heir was poorly written, and if we also think about Balder son of Freyja and Odin, what Freyja said "It took this long to have another child" doesn't make any sense.

That being said i like this new book, specially the art and how Kieron Gillen and Marguerite Bennettthe are building Angela's Personality.

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gp3 said:

Angela said to the Angels Queen "You know what i owe you", i think that she will delivery the new heir of Asgard to pay her debt of being alive, seems to be how her psychology works.

But it wasn't the Queen of the Angels who saved Angela, it was one of the Queen's handmaidens. If anyone, doesn't Angela owe the handmaiden her life? I interpreted the line, "You know what I owe you" as "I owe you nothing."

Gp3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gp3

@whinehaus: but in that scenario what was the point of that dialogue and Angela actions with her new Asgardian sister?

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WhineHaus

@gp3: Their dialogue is the cap to Sera's tale in which she explains how Angela did countless things for Heaven. Now The Queen is asking for Angela to save Heaven once again, and it's implied that the Queen is actually indebted to Angela for that. If Angela did indeed owe her life to the Queen of the Angels, why would she be bargaining for Angela's help instead of just calling in her debt? As for her motives with the baby, I'm not yet sure.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I read this, started out good, then went meh, then hit one of the worst and most forced walls of exposition I have ever seen. Plus it also had some bad puns and plenty of "...wut?" moments.

I would say I'm done, but this is one of those rare cases where the art is so good it actually carries the book on it's own, regardless of writing.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WheatStalker

@whinehaus said:

@gp3 said:

But it wasn't the Queen of the Angels who saved Angela, it was one of the Queen's handmaidens. If anyone, doesn't Angela owe the handmaiden her life? I interpreted the line, "You know what I owe you" as "I owe you nothing."

That's how I read it. Angela owes the Queen a big fat goose egg.

devil leonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By devil leonx

Over all I was surprisingly impressed by this series, it can go bad hope it does not, good story and character moments and back story....though the way it happens....felt clunky....and random as heck...I thought to myself what kid is gonna listen to this...I would have ran off!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

However interesting it is seeing her backstory slowly unfold, I have to say Angela is not terribly endearing on any level possibly because she still mentally counts herself as an Angel with those standards and moral bearings... which is that of a particularly arrogant mercenary, nothing more.

Like she basically holds a ball ransom getting a pre-teen girl to bargain it back... which right now appears to be as smart as sighing a deal with Mephisto.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I didn't really care for the first issue but I will continue to give the series a chance and pick this up

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

However interesting it is seeing her backstory slowly unfold, I have to say Angela is not terribly endearing on any level possibly because she still mentally counts herself as an Angel with those standards and moral bearings... which is that of a particularly arrogant mercenary, nothing more.

Like she basically holds a ball ransom getting a pre-teen girl to bargain it back... which right now appears to be as smart as sighing a deal with Mephisto.

Exactly. You know your ''people'' stole you where they were gonna kill you. And you still act like an 'angel' even though they are not your people and you steal your sister from your real family ? I am all for complex characters but this sounds more like a stupid villian who acts ''anti-hero'' because ....what the heck.

If she has smarts, I have yet to see her using it.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@whinehaus said:

@gp3: Their dialogue is the cap to Sera's tale in which she explains how Angela did countless things for Heaven. Now The Queen is asking for Angela to save Heaven once again, and it's implied that the Queen is actually indebted to Angela for that. If Angela did indeed owe her life to the Queen of the Angels, why would she be bargaining for Angela's help instead of just calling in her debt? As for her motives with the baby, I'm not yet sure.

This is how I read it as well.

As for this being Odin and Freyja's child, what the...? Too out of left field. I know how things were left with Mighty Thor but considering the new Thor and how it came about (or not) and like someone else mentioned with Balder, like, come on now!

I still loved the art, I agree about the random history lesson but I am completely on board with Angela's take with nothing for nothing. I kind of really dig that philosophy. So much more sensible and honest.

I also got some Sifness in this issue and that's always a great thing. I'm a little confused about the explanation of how there are no men in Heven, plus the man-hating feel to this but at the same time, I guess Freyja is well within rights to be in a p_ssed off mood with the men in her world at the moment. If anything, where the hell is Odin and her in their pursuit of their daughters?

Next issue looks to be cool.