All-New Wolverine #2

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Laura Kinney had quite the surprise when she stopped an assassin in Paris only to discover the killer couldn't feel pain and looked just like her. The deal is a scientist at Alchemax managed to acquire her DNA and created some clones. Besides not having her healing factor, they apparently don't have her conscience either. She allows herself to be taken to Alchemax to get some answers. They simply want their "property" back but she sees it as more complex of a situation than they make it out to be. The real question is, are these clones as much of a threat as Alchemax is making them out to be or should Laura try to save them?

Tom Taylor's take on Laura is a fascinating one. She's evolved a bit as she's taken on the Wolverine mantle. She's still in a relationship with (young) Angel but also feels the need to do some things on her own. It's great seeing her in action. There is a bit of maturity to her and you can see her embracing other aspects and traits of being Wolverine now.

I really dig the art by David Lopez and David Navarrot in this series. When Laura comes across her clones, it's more than just drawing X-23 a few times in the same panel. Each is clearly given their own personality and look. This is still the X-23 we've known and loved but you can see her becoming something more. There's just something to vibe of this book. Nathan Fairbairn's art adds to it as well.

The idea of Laura going after clones of herself is becoming more and more intriguing given the other layers of the story. With each page, I'm reminded how much I've missed X-23 on solo adventures. Despite her connection to the X-Men, there's a strong sense of her being on her own and in her own corner of the Marvel Universe. Although she might be hoping for some backup after what happens at the end of this issue.

Tom Taylor is taking X-23 to the next level. Laura has come a long way since she was first introduced in 2004. Having her take on the Wolverine mantle is allowing her to step up and you can see her outlook on things changing in a way. There's a great feel in the characterization in the art along with some cool action sequences. You'll love the nice twist and cliffhanger at the end and it'll will make you do a Darth Vader impression ("Nooooooooooooo!") when you discover you have to wait until the next issue to find out what's going to happen. I never thought I'd love X-23 as the Wolverine this much. Things are about to get pretty nuts.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought that it was a little weird that they were able to make clones of a clone like that, especially considering that, if I remember correctly, Wolverine is supposed to be really difficult to clone. Once I got past that, however, the book was extremely good.

I was never that big a fan of Logan or Laura before, but I gave this a try anyway and it is making me one now.

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Taylor is doing a masterful job with this so far. I really wanted to hate this, but I'm actually getting sucked in.

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@zearing said:

I thought that it was a little weird that they were able to make clones of a clone like that, especially considering that, if I remember correctly, Wolverine is supposed to be really difficult to clone. Once I got past that, however, the book was extremely good.

I was never that big a fan of Logan or Laura before, but I gave this a try anyway and it is making me one now.

The Facility had such a difficult time creating Laura because the genetic sample they had available was severely degraded and very heavily damaged. That's why Sarah decided to create a female clone in the first place. Which just makes the process even MORE complex since she had to recombine the chromosomes herself, a process that even in nature (with HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of years of evolution to get it "right") at times results in fatal defects. However remember they DID create something like 30 more clones of her after she was born (that Sarah later sent Laura to destroy), and the Facility trying to get her back so they can make more of her has been a running story thread throughout her history.

I do hope we actually get an answer to where Chandler's predecessor got hold of her genetic material, though. Unlike The Logan Legacy/Wolverines, where we NEVER learned when and how Cornelius got his hands on her to implant those trigger words...

beaubier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was better than the first. And unlike the first I didn't have any problems with Laura's dialogue in this book. I actually felt like I was reading about Laura instead of somebody else for once and I hope this trend continues... although I feel like Laura should be more pissed off that somebody cloned her and tried to make said clones into weapons. She seems pretty calm about it all. Also, the fact that Warren seems pretty clingy and Laura is the opposite tells me that these two aren't going to last long (thankfully). I'm getting the distinct impression that Laura can't give him what he wants. Bring back Hellion plz.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may have to check this out. I love Laura.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this second issue.

Avatar image for thekingofthehill
TheKingoftheHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great issue and Laura is much more sympathetic here as she has the internal dilemma, kill the clones for crimes they might have done or go against Alchemax to defend the clones?

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Good issue, I'm really liking Laura as Wolverine, I've always liked her but never thought she'd be in the spotlight like she is now, so proud.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

Wasn't it Luke that shouted "NO!" after Vader revealed that he was his father?

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@sweatboy said:

That's the one I go with. Otherwise it means acknowledging the Prequels and Special/DVD/Blu-Ray Editions ever happened.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweatboy said:

What? Vader is Luke's father?!?!?

Thanks for the spoiler!

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That ending Woot can't wait for the next issue.

btmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did she just acknowledged Wolverine(Logan) as her 'father' during that 'Crappy Apartment'/Fridge scene, when she said 'It was my Dad's. He left it to me'?

Galerion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@btmt:

Yes, she did. Was sweet and has been a long time coming.

btmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galerion said:

@btmt:

Yes, she did. Was sweet and has been a long time coming.

Yup, really liked the 'father/daughter' reference, I really hope the Original Logan returns and we get to read another series 'Adventures of Wolverines'.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

@sweatboy said:

What? Vader is Luke's father?!?!?

Thanks for the spoiler!

well then, you're in for a shock when i tell you about Luke and Leiah!