Agent Carter E104 - "The Blitzkrieg Button"

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: There will be spoilers in our summary.

Recap

Jarvis trying to make a deal buying something. Turns out it's a ransom negotiation. It was for Howard Stark. The guy that smuggled him back into the country was trying to shake them down for more money. Thanks to Peggy, they managed to get Stark out. She points out his coming back wasn't at the best time. His place is being watched and his other hideouts are being uncovered.

No Caption Provided

The agents are looking into the dead Russians and the mysterious automatic typewriter that receives messages. The Chief Dooley is headed to Germany to try to get answers. Stark wants to know which of his inventions were recovered so he'll know what's still on the black market. He gives her a newly invented pen camera he just perfected. She uses it later in the agency lab. The pictures show that Stark's inventions are there. He needs her to steal one back, the Blitzkrieg Button. It's meant to shut off all power in a city to prevent bombers knowing where to bomb. The problem is, he didn't get around to figuring out how to turn it back on. He doesn't want New York to go back into the Dark Ages. He gives her a replica to switch out.

No Caption Provided

In a prison in Germany, the chief is trying to get answers about the two Russian agents that showed up who were supposed to be dead. He asks about a battle and finds out there wasn't one. There was a massacre but it wasn't by the Germans.

Once Peggy gets the button (on a metal orb), she activates the button after realizing Jarvis was lying about the danger of it. The orb opens and she finds a vial with a red liquid. She confronts Stark on his lie. He finally tells her it contains Steve Rogers' blood and she decks him. He tries to say he didn't tell her to protect her because he knows what Steve meant to her because he knows what Cap meant to him. He had the vial since he was part of Project Rebirth. Stark feels the blood could save millions through vaccines and other possibilities. Peggy accuses him of only being concerned about making money off it. She tells Stark he needs to leave her place.

When an assassin makes his way into Peggy's building, her neighbor, Dottie, notices his automatic pistol. She immediately figures out what it is and says she wants it. She then effortlessly and spectacularly kills him.

With Stark gone, Peggy hides the vial in the container in her wall. Her neighbor next door admires her new gun as the dead body lies hidden underneath her bed. At the office, the typewriter starts typing a message.

Thoughts

No Caption Provided

There were some interesting developments but there were some moments in the episode that just felt a little off. It's great seeing Howard Stark back. All his stolen inventions might not have been retrieved but at least we're starting to move a little beyond that plot point. With Stark back, there was less for Jarvis to do. His few scenes combined with some weaker attempts at humor in the script made the episode feel less smooth. The continued jokes about the 'no men' rule at Peggy's building was wearing a little thin as well. There were too many moments of Stark trying to cozy up with all of Peggy's neighbors.

Who could it be behind the newspaper?
Who could it be behind the newspaper?

Where the episode did shine was seeing the agency move forward with their investigation. They may not be as skilled at uncovering the truth as Peggy is but they are starting to see pieces of the big picture. Some of the agents got a tiny bit more screen time which allowed their characters to be fleshed out a little more.

We also have the mystery of the dead Russians along with the massacre that was covered up. The inclusion of Steve's blood served to remind us that the show is tied into the Cinematic Universe. We know Stark lied to her about it. Was this the only thing he lied to her about? Was this what Jarvis alluded to Stark when he said she'd be perfect for what they had planned?

Then there's Dottie. What the heck is her story? It seemed there was more to her when we saw her before. Her graceful moves as she killed the creepy Mr. Mink was very elegant. Some speculation is she could perhaps be tied to the Russians and possibly be someone like Yelena Bolova (they did seem a little Black Widow-ish, like in Iron Man 2). There's also the possibility she's simply working for Leviathan. We'll have to wait to find out what the message was on the typewriter.

And let's not forget about a certain cameo. Not crucial or overly spectacular but always nice to see.

Overall it was a good episode. There were some weaker moments but we had some pretty nice payoffs as well as more character development.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WheatStalker

Guaranteed Dottie was the shooter who killed Krismin--Kriscminski--Kerisminiski--Walter

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FearTheLiving

This was probably my least favorite of the series so far. I still enjoyed it but it moved a little slow and though it's nice to see what the agents are doing I like seeing the Peggy and Jarvis dynamic more. Also like you said Dotty totally screamed Yelena Bolova to me as well.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't get into this show

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ABC's been blacked out in my area since the day after the last new episode aired. I thought the station owners and DirecTV would have worked out a new agreement by now, but it was not to be. :, (

ia0delond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guaranteed Dottie was the shooter who killed Krismin--Kriscminski--Kerisminiski--Walter

I think it is the nice agent that have war injuries, after he revealed he was faking because Leviathan cured him and made him work for them.

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really do hope that Dottie is Yelena Bolova. Wasn't she introduced as a ballerina? That and the Widow-esque moves really makes me think it is her.

Novafett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the cameo and seeing that next week she'll be teaming up with the old gang from the Cap movies. Woot!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

Been lovin' this show much more than AOS.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! I thought it was one of the better episodes.

Gonna spoiler block this whole part, but I REALLY like how the item Peggy retrieves can lead to bigger things in the MCU!

I may be reading WAY too far into this, but: Steve's blood. Let's think about what that whole thing could imply. First off, Howard Stark has a portion of the Super Soldier Serum in his possession. So does the government. Did anyone else think this could lead to A) his murder (by way of apparently-accidental death) by the Winter Soldier? Russia was a player in this episode, after all. And we saw the mysterious circumstances surrounding Howard's death in Cap 2. B) Could Howard Stark have played a role in the creation of the Hulk? This could lead to some plot points in Age of Ultron, and maybe one of the reasons we see the Hulk duking it out with the Hulkbuster!

I was a little confused about why they were doing this show (although I love Atwell and the character, as well as the show) but the timing a short time before Age of Ultron may just clear that up for me.

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

love the show and the episode. Next week should have more action though.

Eneguema_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first thought when it was revealed that the blood was Steve's was: William Burnside! Or John Walker... maybe?

But then I realised that it was unlikely as having a 2nd Cap walking around in the late 40's/ early 50's would have big implications that would conflict with established MCU canon... like Fury desperately wanting to find Steve Rogers before The Avengers. Still. Would like a shout-out or reference in a future episode.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15  Edited By owie  Moderator

I'm still enjoying the series, and thought this episode was OK, but all the qualms G-Man had I had as well. It seemed a bit more by-the-motions, seen-this-before. Still good acting, good cinematography. Next week with the Howling Commandoes should be a fun change of pace.

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoying this show, and I think knowing it's in a miniseries format is helping. Loved the cameo by Stan Lee. I think they should work one in on Agents of Shield and the Netflix series as well.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Face front, true believers ;)

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

@capelibra: They already have in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The episode called T.R.A.C.K.S I think.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had Stan Lee in it, deserves 10 stars

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This was probably my favorite episode yet. Stan Lee was awesome as always!

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capelibra: They already have in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The episode called T.R.A.C.K.S I think.

Cool...good to know. Thanks!

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Boys will be boys. I didn't mind all the boys club stuff. Whether it's stark proving to everyone what a double standard is or the SSR guys being jerks it just shows us more of what Peggy is up against. It really isn't just evil bad guys, it's society too.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

My first thought when it was revealed that the blood was Steve's was: William Burnside! Or John Walker... maybe?

But then I realised that it was unlikely as having a 2nd Cap walking around in the late 40's/ early 50's would have big implications that would conflict with established MCU canon... like Fury desperately wanting to find Steve Rogers before The Avengers. Still. Would like a shout-out or reference in a future episode.

I don't remember him desperately looking for Cap. He sent agents to investigate the unidentified object in the Arctic, and said agent found him on the plane. The dialogue didn't sound to me like they were looking for him, and more like they were excited about their unexpected find; excited enough to send a call over to the United States and risk upsetting their superior officer while doing so (by waking him up in the middle of the night).