inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

This is one great start to a new book. About 1000 years ago, Norwegians slayed the last dragon, and it was epic. However, that dragon had laid an egg. This egg was indestructible, so they took the egg with them to what would eventually become North America and hid it. 1000 years later, a little town called Dragon, Colorado has a secret. Hidden away in the peak near the town is the dragon egg, and it's ready to hatch.

A TOWN CALLED DRAGON really surprised me. I knew it involved dragons, obviously, but I wasn't expecting the epicness that was the opening of this series. The battle between the Norwegians and the last dragon is pure awesome. Penciler Geoff Shaw and colorist Jamie Grant create a beautiful looking battle that really moves the opening of this book along well and establishes the fact that dragons are pretty dang hard to kill.

Because it's the first issue of a brand new world, the whole issue is about setting up and establishing the world this series takes place in. Writer Judd Winick knows how to keep the reader invested in this world, while introducing them to the world. This issue is insanely engaging. I'm really impressed with how well this works as an overall issue, especially when I'm not the biggest fan of fantasy. The dialogue is very well done and feels natural as well.

This book costs $3.99 and you get over 50 pages of story.

The Bad

There are a few moments that seem out of place and a bit over-the-top. This book never really presents itself as anything other than serious, but there's one moment where a car is driving away from a gas station where the car is in the air and it almost looks like a cartoon car fleeing a scene. Aside from that, there are a couple of moments where characters look way over the top dramatic and it feels a bit off.

The Verdict

This is a great start for A TOWN CALLED DRAGON. Aside from the fact that you're getting more than 50 pages of story for the price $3.99, the art is wonderful and the story is fantastic. Do you like dragons? Then you should read this. Even if you're not a fan, Winick does an awesome job at setting this all up. Overall, I really enjoyed this issue and so will you.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

...but i all ready read too much as is -.-

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good comics this week.

cmd735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite comic of the week.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can NEVER read too much.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@fallschirmjager said:

My bank account would disagree with you :D

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

not sure how any of you guys are even getting your hands on these new Legendary Comics, went to three different shops in my area, all the shop owners looked at me like i was lying to them or on something...
same happened with Morrison's Annihilator and this one today....

are retailers aware of the existence of Legendary Comics?

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This might be my first Legendary title I read.....I'll get it late as I'll have to ask LCS to order it

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interesting so far. though i dont care for the art much

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@idontlikebirds said:

@fallschirmjager said:

My bank account would disagree with you :D

It's not the reading that's the problem, it's the buying that'll getcha.