gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Marvel has been unleashing special "100th Anniversary" specials. The idea is basically taking a look at what the series could possibly be in the near future. So while Spider-Man's 100th anniversary is still forty-eight years away, there's no doubting that the character will still be around in some form.

Sean Ryan has some fun with this idea and format. Let's just say, you will definitely want to read the brief recap on the very first page. We're coming into this story at the end. This is literally titled "Part 8 of 8." You have to look at this as you're diving into an ongoing story, most likely the same way you might've first started Spider-Man. There are some familiar characters here but we get to see some pretty big differences to mark the evolution of things over time. It's a trippy story with a Spider-Man story that sure does feel different from what we've seen yet still has the vibe and feel of what we'd expect. 

In-Hyuk Lee's art is something to see. When you see the Venom suit in all it's glory or the massive fight on the streets of New York, you'll be pleasantly impressed. You get a nice feel over the ferocity of Venom in this incarnation.

The Bad

It's a little hard getting into this issue with the idea of not knowing what happened before or really who exactly this Spider-Man is. It is Peter Parker. I don't mean it's someone else. We're just not fully sure where he's at in this period of his life. In some ways, we don't really see "Spider-Man" as it's more Peter Parker fighting "Venom." The way Venom is different is interesting but, again, makes you wonder what it means about the idea before this story. 

The battle had a big feel to it but ends a little abruptly in order to give closure to the issue. There's also a little confusion, which could be due to the art layout for that page. In-Hyuk Lee's art is really good but a couple times some facial expressions were a little odd. There was also some mention of the technology at the time (how cars drive). It felt like it was unnecessarily being explained to us and Spider-Man when he should be more than aware how things work.

The Verdict

It's weird to think where Spider-Man might be when he reaches his 100th anniversary. We get an interesting story here set in this time period. While it's clearly Spider-Man (and a couple other characters), you can see how some things have changed or been rebooted given the future time period. The art is pretty amazing. The story is fascinating but given that this is just one issue and we're jumping in right at the end of an "eight part" story, you won't know exactly where everyone is and who knows if we'd ever see this time period revisited. Spider-Man, Venom, and Kingpin fans should pick to see the possibility but we can't say it's an absolutely crucial read.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I thought this was Clayton Crains art either way the art is superb especially hologram venom

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

wow, that was very mediocre. barely any dialogue, you could read it in 2-3min no exaggeration. i thought they were going to put more care into this, i guess not. only thing worth noting is the mention of pete never being able to get back together with mj. if you are tight on cash pass this one up or just borrow it from a friend.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

eh

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheCheeseStabber
PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually thought the idea of this being the conclusion to a story arc we never see was kinda funny. Nonetheless, this was a very dull and straightforward way to end an 8-part epic, fake or otherwise.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed it. It wasn't that confusing to figure out what was happening considering there was the recap page to fill you in on mostly everything. I thought the art was great and it was a story I would have really liked to see from the start. The only thing that bugged me was the MJ crack and that STILL couldn't even age Peter. But Aunt May was dead, so at least that was a start.

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheCheeseStabber
eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm a little confused on the first page it says "Great Responabiltiy 8 of 8" where are the first 7 issues lol? Also siiiiick cover

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

i just hope issue 92 on ward follows this story lol

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for dagreatnameless
DaGreatNameless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the art and concept but it was way to short feeling and the worst way to end a fight ever defiantly made an awesome version of venom seen like the weakest.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

were any of the supporting cast in it?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

were any of the supporting cast in it?

No. Just a (dead) Eddie, Peter and Fisk.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By rev_sulphur

Great art and cool to see kingpin as venom but seriously falls flat.

AndySynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it. Felt like something from a short-story compendium (as opposed to a full-length novel). And I like short stories, they often have a better/tighter focus on a few central ideas, and it's fun to have the background and history filled out by context, rather than by exposition.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a little confused on the first page it says "Great Responabiltiy 8 of 8" where are the first 7 issues lol? Also siiiiick cover

same question here

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eamon542000 said:

same question here

lol did you guys not even read the article?

it's a hypothetical 100th anniversary special issue for spider-man, one which happens to come at the end of a story arc.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Seems meh

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dig the art. I wish the ongoing amazing Spiderman was this creative team. It wouldn't have killed Sean Ryan to put a little more dialogue in the book...hopefully we can ask marvel to sell us the first 7 parts. I'd buy it...I'm a sucker.

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is getting worse and worse with their cash cows lol.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Man the art was magnificent.

The story and everything else.. very very average.

Basically agree with everyone saying it felt like a artist show off.

ShadowPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers