gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

As probably many others are, I am getting a bit overloaded with the number of X-titles currently on sale. I actually haven't counted and don't want to know how many there are. ASTONISHING X-MEN has been a title that I've read off an on, never fully committing to it. Until now.

Ever since Marjorie Liu made the jump into comics at Marvel, I've been a huge fan. If you've read her X-23 issues, you know she excels at character development and relationships as well as cramming in loads of action. While we're all saddened over the end of that series, having her take on her own X-Men title is pretty sweet.

Within her first issue, we do see a lot of development for characters such as Northstar, Cecilia Reyes and even Gambit. The angle that most of the characters she'll be writing don't want to spend all their time with the X-Men and are looking for time away is a great angle. Obviously when push comes to shove and things start blowing up, they won't have much of a choice. It's just great to see them trying to have normal lives rather than just sitting around waiting for the next mission.

When it was announced that Mike Perkins would be joining Liu on this title, I was definitely intrigued. He definitely takes on the task of drawing action and non-action scenes with enthusiasm.

The Bad

As a first issue for a new direction, there's a lot to cover. Depending on what you're looking for, you're not necessarily going to see a lot of action in the first half of the book. This shouldn't be a bad thing unless you're craving non-stop action, but who really wants that all the time? Those that cringe at emotions being put on display will have to accept that these characters do and should have feelings. When the action does begin, it explodes in your face. You're almost left wondering what's going on.

And there was one panel where Wolverine looked a little funny.

The Verdict

There's some good news and bad news for X-Men readers. Marjorie Liu and Mike Perkins' take on ASTONISHING X-MEN is off to a great start. The good news is we have another great X-Men series to enjoy. The bad news is you have another great X-Men series you have to buy. Liu always manages to bring life and energy to the characters she writes. The X-Men have always had that underlying feeling of family and humanization, despite the fact that they were mutants. We all want to see crazy and intense action but there should be time taken to allow the characters to grow personally as well as in terms of powers and abilities. Mike Perkins manages to capture this feeling and handles the task of drawing quiet intimate scenes as well as big time action. The mix of the two causes the action to come later and when it does, you're almost left wondering what's happening. Once you catch your breath, your anticipation for the next issue will rise all over again.

Mad_Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Mad_Wolverine

'And there was one panel where Wolverine looked a little funny'

I want to see this panel so much right now, any chance of a pic?

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Or35ti

@Mad_Wolverine said:

'And there was one panel where Wolverine looked a little funny'

I want to see this panel so much right now, any chance of a pic?

Haha, seconded :)

natejoseph09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By natejoseph09

There was a panel which made Gambit look like Igor as well.

Loved the issue, but what did the reviewer mean by "we do see a lot of development for characters such as Northstar, Cecilia Reyes and even Gambit"?

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Mucklefluga

Love the variant cover, probably because i love the old x-men and their costumes

Solarflare32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Solarflare32

Why were none of the naming errors pointed out

Gawdzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Gawdzilla

@Solarflare32 said:

There was multiple naming errors in this issue smh

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HotSauceCommittee

Mediocre. Confused as to how this got 5 stars, seems like it's based more on the artistic team rather than the actual quality of the book.

@Gawdzilla said:

@Solarflare32 said:

There was multiple naming errors in this issue smh

And this, his name is Jean-Paul, not Jean Claude, and it's not just a one off, they make this mistake multiple times.

TheOlympian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheOlympian

who was the guy standing beside Arclight with the shades?

Solarflare32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Solarflare32

@ Theolympian vanisher is the dude in shades if sinister is not in this arc i'll be shocked since 2 characters here died in messiah complex and cloning is the only way they ever retrun but mind you who would clone prism he's useless most times in battle

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By jrock85

Really enjoyed it.

webofthornns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By webofthornns

The whole name thing with Northstar put a real damper on this issue for me. Kyle calls him Jean-Paul early in the issue then he's suddenly becomes Jean-Claude. How much development will we really see if they can't even get the names right?

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mickeymayhew

I was just p****** that Cecelia's shields have changed colour; they looked better yellow, back in the day

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.