Foggy Nelson; Lawyer, Confidant. Moustache or no Moustache?

#1 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Foggy Nelson is one half of the righteous law firm of Nelson and Murdock. Yes, his name is even first despite the Alphabet clearly saying that's wrong. So why make a thread about about ol' Foggy, in particular one about his facial hair, you ask? Well, I suppose it comes down to what defines a character visually.  

Foggy Nelson is a stout, almost laughably uncoordinated man who is almost the exact opposite of his partner in terms of appearance. While Matt is hyper-coordinated, red-haired, good looking and looks like a fashion model, Foggy is none of these things. But for a time, Foggy had a moustache.  

Foggy Nelson despite his jolly, santa-esque demeanour, is a fundamentally nervous individual. The man carries the weight of an entire firm that manages to accumulate dozens of cases and barely stay afloat financially. Meanwhile, his partner is off in spandex beating up loons named after Winnie the Pooh characters. 
But what does this have to do with facial hair you ask? It's simple. The moustache is both a sign of dominance (psychologically speaking, people with moustaches generate a more intimidating presence), and also reflects his stressed out state.  
Look at these two images of Foggy Nelson; 

In the first, he looks like a child, lost in the world of precedents and judicial bulls**. In the second, he looks like a jaded MAN. An adult. Even here in a classic Daredevil cover (top left), Foggy looks more confident, and that's what works. He's not confident. Even though he carries the world on his shoulders, he's still a very fearful man in of himself.

Someone who lacks confidence but must appear as the face of a firm that stares the criminal empire of New York in the face would do anything to alleviate that sense of self-doubt. Even something as dumb as a patch of facial hair can evoke a different reaction in an audience, and while I don't want Foggy to become another "gritter redesign" statistic, I feel this change should return and be made permanent.  

Foggy Nelson is a man, not a child, let's have him look like one.  

Also, is it a coincidence that Foggy has a moustache in the best DD story of all time, Born Again? Not a chance. Foggy's moustache brings out the best of Daredevil and his world. 

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (13704 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always seen Foggy as an antic man of good nature whose mere association with Daredevil brings forth problems a man of his clean upbringing was never meant to deal with. I think the man-child appearance he is often given suits him. 

I do like a good moustache though

#3 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk...

I'm so used to his "baby face," so I'm not sure how I'd feel if he went moustache full-time. ...But he does rock a great stache.

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22885 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot and will not take you seriously as long as you keep that Av.

#5 Posted by ReVamp (22885 posts) - - Show Bio

And I prefer him without it, lol.

#6 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

But dude, AvX is amazing. It's clearly the best comic arc ever. 
#7 Posted by ReVamp (22885 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ReVamp said:

But dude, AvX is amazing. It's clearly the best comic arc ever.

I'm offended.

Everyone knows the best story arc is Siege. It clearly defined Sentry's character and showed how even the mighty can fall in an absolutely emotional story than shall be remembered for all of eternity.

It is definitely one of literature's greats.

#8 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Just give him a half of a moustache. Everybody wins :D

#9 Posted by X35 (5984 posts) - - Show Bio

"Boy, that's scary!"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.