Flashpoint Map, Ape Controled Africa, Castrating Amazons

#1 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/05/flashpointmapbig.jpg    

There is a controversy behind the map and certain plot points in DC's 'Flashpoint'. Some think the writers have gone too far with there being a capitol of Asia, an Ape controlled Africa, and the Amazons constantly at war with men capturing and castrating them.

Thoughts?
#2 Posted by DKing_CiCADA (340 posts) - - Show Bio

What kind of controversy? 

#3 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

Comment from ComicsAlliance com

Son of Baldwin

The worst offense--aside from the misogynistic and racist aspects of FLASHPOINT--is the severe lack of imagination. You have all these writers and artists at your organization and this is the BEST you could come up with? Your idea of creativity is to traffic in dated and embarrassing stereotypes about race and gender? 

How small and sad of you.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/20/flashpoint-map/#ixzz1MvrnR4OB
#5 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that site has some people who are overreacting big time. Gorilla City is in Africa, I think that's the only reason it has Africa as ape controlled.

#6 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vortex13 said:
I think that site has some people who are overreacting big time. Gorilla City is in Africa, I think that's the only reason it has Africa as ape controlled.
this.

and as for the Amazons, it's what they do.

trolls will be trolls. and it sounds like that site is filled to the brim with em.
#7 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all about context.

#8 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, isn't the whole world technically ape controlled? Great apes: Gorillas, Chimps, Orangutangs, Bonobo, and Humans.......... Yo!

#9 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

I hear that and I am turned off by it. "Ape Controlled Africa." I am not using the word "offended".  I wouldn't buy it. Oh well...

#10 Posted by Sekele (276 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have problems with the "Ape controlled Africa" bit, since as it was already pointed out, Gorilla City is located there  

What I do mind is DC once again portraying their Amazons as psychotic mysandrysts (didn't they learn anything from "Amazons Attack" ?), and France being once again destroyed.  
Why do you hate that nation so much?  
Why don't you just slaughter their children for giggles while you are at it?  

Ehm, 
yeah  

#11 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sekele said:
I don't have problems with the "Ape controlled Africa" bit, since as it was already pointed out, Gorilla City is located there   What I do mind is DC once again portraying their Amazons as psychotic mysandrysts (didn't they learn anything from "Amazons Attack" ?), and France being once again destroyed.  Why do you hate that nation so much?  Why don't you just slaughter their children for giggles while you are at it?   Ehm, yeah  
It is pretty "American" to hate France, kind of weird, I liked it the French when I was stationed in Germany...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.