Confusion with Flashpoint

#1 Edited by Lapsus (26 posts) - - Show Bio

This is really a reboot or is just the old universe with changes ??

I´m a new reader and i find this pretty confusing because i don´t know exactly what things will be the same and what things of the old universe will change.

And the information doesn´t help, some people said tha this is a new timeline and the old timeline will not dissaper, other people said that the new Justice League series take place five years ago.

I hope someone could help me with this.

#2 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12573 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lapsus said:
This is really a reboot or is just the old universe with changes ??  I´m a new reader and i find this pretty confusing because i don´t know exactly what things will be the same and what things of the old universe will change.  And the information doesn´t help, some people said tha this is a new timeline and the old timeline will not dissaper, other people said that the new Justice League series take place five years ago.  I hope someone could help me with this.
its not a reboot. its a relaunch.
#3 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I understand Flash tried to alter the past and when he changed it back 3 timelines were converged so much of continuity is going to stay the same while some of it will be changed. The history will be condensed so superheroes have only been around for a few years but Batman has still had four sidekicks. If you're a new reader though it should be easy for you since you can just ignore the stuff on the web and just read the books to see what is important to the current continuity.

The first storyline in Justice League is from five years ago when superheroes were just beginning to emerge but after its told it will jump back to the present. Same thing as Superman, it will tell of his early days.

#4 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC said:
From what I understand Flash tried to alter the past and when he changed it back 3 timelines were converged so much of continuity is going to stay the same while some of it will be changed. The history will be condensed so superheroes have only been around for a few years but Batman has still had four sidekicks. If you're a new reader though it should be easy for you since you can just ignore the stuff on the web and just read the books to see what is important to the current continuity.  The first storyline in Justice League is from five years ago when superheroes were just beginning to emerge but after its told it will jump back to the present. Same thing as Superman, it will tell of his early days.
Pretty much this, though it's "Action Comics" not "Superman" that's focusing on the character's past, I know that's what you meant but it just reads ambiguously. 

Think of it this way ok, it's a kick start in canon for some but not all characters, the better the character's books have been selling pre relaunch the less is changed except for what has to be changed to fit in with the length of time the capes have been around. But if a character's books haven't been selling well before the relaunch they're getting an overhaul and DC's using the timeline change from Flashpoint to justify it. 
So Batman still has most of his history, I think No Man's Land might be gone because of the problem with time there but don't quote me on that, kind of a wait and see. But Aquaman, expect a lot to change because his stuff really hasn't been a best seller over the years. So who knows, maybe Mera won't be around, maybe they'll add new villains that have been big problems to him for an extended length of time, maybe he'll get his own major epic that spans volumes of trades like Green Lantern got for Blackest Night (seriously, major elements for that are being set up all the way back in Rebirth). Wonder Woman you might be able to expect the same kind of thing, but don't quote me on that because I believe the 600's were selling fairly well. 
The big exception/question here is Superman. While it hasn't been definitely confirmed to the best of my knowledge speculation has arisen amongst fans that the man of steel will be experiencing major changes in his past and in his power set to make him a different enough character from the one established back in 1938. The original creators of Superman's heirs and estates have been locked in a messy legal battle for some time now and the DC/WB looses some of the rights to Superman come 2013, so the argument is whether or not DC's changing him so that they can make a strong case against him being the same character created in 38 and therefore they shouldn't have to pay any rights to the creator's estates. 

Sorry for the length of that one, have a nice time reading the new books, this is all fairly irrelevant to you, just pick up what you think looks interesting and I'm sure you'll have a great time with it. Trust me, the chances you'll really need to know any of this is slim to none...except maybe if you pick up the Flash book or the Justice League International book, but either way, they'd explain it.
#5 Posted by Lapsus (26 posts) - - Show Bio

This really help so much.

Thanks for the Clarification.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.