inferiorego's Flashpoint: Batman Knight of Vengeance #1 - Part One review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

Let's Establish Some Character!

In the Flashpoint World, Bruce Wayne died instead of Thomas Wayne. Thomas became Batman and the owner of Wayne Casino. The world is tipped upside-down, and this Batman is not like the one we know.

The Good

I love this re-invention of Batman, even though it technically isn't Batman. Why? Because this Batman doesn't hold back and isn't afraid to kill. He walks that fine line of hero-villain in Gotham City. As mentioned earlier, Thomas owns a casino in Gotham to bring the lowlifes in the town to him. In fact, he even has lowlifes working for him, the Penguin. Aside from that, Thomas works with Gordon. Yes, so did Bruce, but the Commissioner knows that Thomas is the Bat.

The whole issue just establishes Thomas "Batman" Wayne and nothing more, but don't see that as a bad thing. The writing is amazing, and I couldn't imagine anyone but Brian Azzarello to reinvent a character like this. If you thought Batman couldn't get any more cranky and brooding, then you were wrong. Eduardo Risso did the art on this book, with Patricia Mulvihill on colors, and other than two panels where I thought Killer Croc looked a tad weird, the art is fantastic.

The Bad

That stupid Super-8 ad is back smack dab in the middle of the book.

I've read all of the Flashpoint tie-ins so far, and this is by far my favorite. It's so much more than Batman in a new suit. It's a complete reinvention of the character, and it's done exceptionally well. The writing, by Brian Azzarello, is fantastic, as well as the art, by Eduardo Risso. It's the most fun read I've had today, hands down. If you're only going to read one tie-in to Flashpoint, make sure it's this book.

Posted by Paragon

I'm glad I'm not the only one hating the Super 8 ad...

Good read though!

Posted by The_Tree

Although I'm looking forward to Super 8, I did hate that ad, it definitely should have been in the back of the comic, it was pretty good too.
I'm loving Thomas Wayne as Batman, he's a complete badass, and I loved this book, can't wait to see Joker!

Posted by goldenkey

REALLY,  you had to tell us that Gordon knows who Batman is?  Kind of shitty on your part for telling us something like that.
Posted by Migz13

Thomas Wayne as Batman?!
Wow... haven't thought of that, but it certainly sounds interesting enough for me to pick up.

Edited by Duo_forbidden

I hated that as well with the Super 8 ad in other comics. I wasn't going to read any of the Flashpoint tie in issues until I saw the ending of Flashpoint #1. The Batman Knight of Vengeance got me interested. I going have to pick it up.

Posted by VaizD
@goldenkey said:
I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but that's hardly a book-killing spoiler or anything to really call foul on Matt about.