The Flash to be Three Movies in One?

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 Sunday nights on Fox... alas, no more.

Marc Guggenheim's been talking about the FLASH lately and a quote he made about the movie being basically “three movies in one” has been jumping from site to site online like chain-lighting (from Newsarama to CBM to Slash Film.)  Basically, because they’re going to focus on the “science police” aspect of Barry Allen’s day life, the movie’s going to break down into one-third forensic thriller, one-third superhero actioner and one-third sports movie (on account of how the Flash displays a lot more track and field athleticism than your average colorful vigilante.) So, there'll be more going on in this than the usual superhero struggle; though, you can still make an argument that a lot of other cape films have straddled genres. DARK KNIGHT was a crime ensemble, BLADE was a kung-fu flick, CAPTAIN AMERICA’s going to be a war picture, and so on.

All this talk of forensics makes for the perfect opportunity to bring up the FLASH TV show from the 90s.  

I realize we’ve got some young’ins in the Comic Vine community (and it’s actually a little sobering to realize that this show might seem like ancient history to them) but, believe it or not, there did used to be a live-action series about the fastest man alive. It ran on Fox prime time for around 22 episodes and, would you believe, it recently got collected on DVD. The show actually started off much like Guggenheim describes - - a foresenics cop show that just happened to feature a superhero - - before scoundrels from the scarlet speedster’s rogue's gallery were steadily introduced toward the end of the series. Notably, this is where Mark Hamill got to get his feet wet with the kind over-the-top super-villainous roles he became so well-known for. That’s right, Luke Skywalker played the Trickster a while before he played the Joker or the Hobgoblin.

Since we’re far off from seeing the Flash in live action again, how about you enjoy what’s already here?  == TEASER ==

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of   HYBRID BASTARDS!  &   UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here   &     here .

#1 Edited by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

i remember this ^ , i must iof been quite young when it was on thou since iam only 23 now

#2 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

the costume in the show actually looks really good.

#3 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember that show... I liked it wish they would bring back the live action.  =)
#4 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

This read better than it sounded.
#5 Posted by ComicMan24 (147080 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember that show. I liked it.

#6 Posted by Icarusflies (12490 posts) - - Show Bio

With every announcement my feeling of dread increases....I just know Guggenheim is going to butcher this.

#7 Posted by NightFang (9981 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting. 

#8 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2240 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember that show, the premier bad guy was this gang guy with a rose tattoo on his face or something.   And I remember seeing some parts, and years later reruns.

I have an idea for the trilogy of sorts for Flash,
It starts with crime scene investigator Barry Allen, we get to know his character a little before he becomes Flash and one thing we find out is that as a young boy his mother was murdered. Something that has always drove him, like him becoming a CSI guy.  But before becoming the Flash his life just seemed to be stalled and not moving anywhere.

then one night he is hit by lightning in a lab and then doused with chemicals (like we all know)

In movies 1 and 2 he fights super criminals like Captain Cold and the Mirror Master, and it would be cool to involve as many rogues as possible like the Top and the Trickster and Captain Boomerang, to show Flash's relationship with them all,
But in the 3rd film we meet the reverse Flash, Professor Zoom. We find out that he is every bit as powerful as the Barry but can also time travel. We find out that he murdered Barry's mom, and that he caused the lighting and spilling of chemicals that created Barry. He has been traveling through time messing with Barry's life this whole time.
Throughout movies 1 and 2 we could even has slight hints, things happen throughout the first two movies that can later be blamed on Zoom, but never show him. So it would sort of make him the villain of all three movies.
Then the third would be the epic confrontation of Flash and Zoom.
There would also be an over all theme to all the movies.

#9 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious to see the timeline for these Flash movies since it seems we've been hearing about them for quite a while now

#10 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

Before my time....

#11 Posted by Lustwish (531 posts) - - Show Bio

remember like its yesterday, got all the episodes, still love it today. It would be nice if WB would try and make it up today modern day. 

#12 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

the tv show was awesome. I remember the first if not one of the first episodes where he powers down a stack of pizzas lol  

#13 Posted by The Wretch (102 posts) - - Show Bio

My wife never saw the show so we recently watched it through Netflix.  I hadn't seen the Trickster episodes before.  They're basically the birth of Hamil's Joker voice. 

The show was okay- the only complaint was the effects.  Flash seemed too stiff and never really looked athletic when he was running or moving.  But overall I recommend fans check it out.  They name drop Gorilla Grodd and Professor Zoom and there are other references to DC creators and characters.
#14 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio
@mickoreo_LZ said:
"I'm curious to see the timeline for these Flash movies since it seems we've been hearing about them for quite a while now "
#15 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

grew up watching alot of fox in the 90's, and i still don't recall the flash tv show?
hope they don't mess up the movie.  i'm a big flash fan now(starting with g.johns 1st run)

#16 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

I was around 9 - 10 years old when I first saw the Flash TV Series, and I remembered thinking how lame the costume was.

Ten years later, and that costume is still recovering in my mental rehab.

#17 Posted by longbowhunter (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

Marc Guggenheim mentioned the Flash will have thiller elements similar to Seven. I hope they dont try and make this movie too dark.
#18 Posted by karrob (4279 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
" I remember that show. I liked it. "
#19 Posted by 4Essence (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone else think that that entrance music was totally ripping off parts of Danny Elfman's Batman score?
#20 Posted by Icon (2055 posts) - - Show Bio
@4Essence said:
"Did anyone else think that that entrance music was totally ripping off parts of Danny Elfman's Batman score? "

It's the same composer. Elfman did Flash too, so I guess you could say he was ripping off himself. Really though, most of his scores sound a lot alike.
#21 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk: I don't know if you noticed this, but there is a small gap in the costume where they didn't iron the symbol on all the way, you could totally fit a Twix bar in there. I thought this was an okay show, although most of the villains from the comics that they had weren't good adaption(i.e. Captain Cold as an albino hitman) but overall the writing and the acting were pretty good and the theme being done by Danny Elfman (and other music done by Shirley Walker) didn't hurt either. But Mark Hamill owned as The Trickster, he was doing the Joker before he did the Joker. 

#22 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@carnivalofsins00 said:
" the costume in the show actually looks really good. "
It was good for it's time. Not anymore.
#23 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

This show was ahead of it's time. It did have a Gotham kind of feel with the intro and whenever he was in the city. It did focus more on the police crime aspect of Barry's life, which I always found to be a perfect compliment to his character. Unfortunately the special effects and ideas were still stuck in the early 90's so they couldn't do as much as they wanted to, but still a good hero show nonetheless. 

My only real wonder with it was DC's choice to use Barry, who at that time had been killed off in the books. I think many of the younger viewers and newer Flash fans might have had an identity crisis when flipping back and forth. It just seems it would have made more sense to give your new Flash more exposure through a TV series than your dead one. Classic and awesome as Barry was, the show kind of opened up old wounds for me from crisis that had just started to heal at that point.

#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (11477 posts) - - Show Bio

Barry Allen the greatest Flash
#25 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2240 posts) - - Show Bio
Mark also voiced the Trickster in the JLU cartoon show
#26 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually ive seen the first 6 episodes of the show...

#27 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

God I loved that show. Each episode was getting better and better. Who knows what episode would we have gotten it hadn't been cancelled. But because of the expensive production of the show and it going up against the Cosbys, the NBA Finals, the Simpsons and being interupted by news coverage of the Gulf War. It never really had the chance to gather ratings like it wanted too.  

John Wesley Shipp did such a great job as the Flash that it made a huge impact for me. That when I saw Barry Allen I thought of him. Kind of like Christopher Reeve with Superman. One of my best days of my life was when I met him at one of the conventions. and I gotta say he still looks great. Besides a little a grey on the temples, he's still in great shape.
#28 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Film

I'm still not wild about the "forensic thriller" aspect of the film as it was never really a big part of the comics and for all the vaunted CSI comparisons, CSI isn't really that good a show much less a film... procedural aspects tend to be major time sinks and not particularly compelling (I'd rather watch ten training montages than a single quasi-music video lab montage), however, the "fun and wonderment" quote from the interview video gives me hope that at least they know that's a major part of Flash's appeal (consider the tonal difference between Flash or Impulse with the speedster mom from No Ordinary Family given how leaden her life is with worry, work, and being the family kill-joy).  The sports film analogy also works for me because those almost always are about tugging at heart strings to achieve an inspirational / victorious effect... exactly what I want from a Flash film. 

I'm a bit worried about how he refers to Baron's work, also reflected in the show, because they both try to ground The Flash in science and rationality... and while there always is a bit of a scientific edge to The Flash (in that two of them are scientists and the tradition of the Flash Facts), the truth is that speedster abilities tend to defy science at just about every turn (again, consider the No Ordinary Family track scene where the assistant bombards the mom with questions about how her abilities account for various scientific issues)... while at the same time being incredibly intuitive to audiences.  To me, it would be a mistake to not take advantage of the audience's intuition and instead "kill" The Flash's powers by trying to ground them in science, adding technobabble, etc. which will inevitably either lead to plot holes, failure under scientific scrutiny, or overly limiting The Flash's speed making him merely a low-end caloric burning speedster rather than the mercurial demigod capable of feats unique to The Flash (speedster are not unique to film, TV, etc. but ones as fast as The Flash definitely are). 

TV 

The Flash TV series is free on TheWB.com and Fancast.com (for Comcast subscribers)... I also have the series on DVD somewhere but haven't been able to bring myself to watch it despite being a major Flash fan; it hasn't aged well in my opinion.  Although I agree it had exceptional production values for a show of its time.  Nonetheless it took perhaps too much inspiration from Burton's Batman at the sacrifice of The Flash, in my [perhaps ill informed] opinion [remember, I've not seen the show since it first aired], by staging most of the episodes at night, making Barry the avenger of a dead family member, etc.  The show also ran into scheduling nightmares causing it to be shuffled around constantly (I specifically remember being disappointed because it didn't air at the times listed in the TV Guide or local newspaper)... it was so bad that the president of CBS apologized personally to John Wesley Shipp for "killing" the show.

I have one vague memory of watching an episode that revolved around a precursor to bullet time and a bomb going off or a bullet being fired that blew me away at the time (having randomly caught the episode and not even realizing it was The Flash, but merely reveling in the scifi and special FX of frozen time)... it's my sole positive memory of the series and I refuse to actually hunt down and watch the actual episode because nostalgia colors it much more pleasantly than the actual show could ever deliver. ;-) 

But don't take my word for it... stop by TheWB.com, watch, and decide for yourself!
#29 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

I own the show it's old but still not bad.
#30 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember watching that show as a kid... and thinking it was awesome! :)

#31 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, I just came up with an off-the-wall idea for a Smallville-esque replacement in THE FLASH. Just take the kid who played Bart and have him move into his own show where he meets his grandfather and finds out about this amazing legacy of the Flash but there are no costumes in the Flash legacy. Jay Garrick is a supporting character much like Bobby in Supernatural. Jay can't run but talks about when he could. Barry and Bart are the only runners and a couple seasons in, Barry dies and Bart finds Wally to be his replacement. 

Makes you think that they could have done the Smallville thing with almost any of the DC heroes besides maybe Green Lantern and Batman.

#32 Posted by Mr_Wayne69 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

If u click the pick really fast it looks like Flash is moving @ super speed. What? I'm the only one who did that?

#33 Posted by kitsuneconundrum (208 posts) - - Show Bio

abit too beefcake.

#34 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Many of these superheroes movies are past the simple "super hero in tights" type of movie anyway. Like Tom said with the Dark Knight or Blade, etc..

Now, all I'd like would be to actually see a Flash movie be made for real.
All these announcements are fun and all...but will it really be made into a movie now..?! (and not again cancelled/delayed..)

#35 Posted by excalibur5150 (126 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still excited for this movie,
#36 Posted by Green ankh (998 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved the flash show.
#37 Posted by noe (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the show aired on CBS? Either way, I remember watching this as a kid as well. I also own the DVD set. Excellent show.

#38 Posted by DeadlyWolverine (224 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna be awesome no doubt, can't wait!!
#39 Posted by nick7913 (104 posts) - - Show Bio
@Icon said:

" @4Essence said:

"Did anyone else think that that entrance music was totally ripping off parts of Danny Elfman's Batman score? "
It's the same composer. Elfman did Flash too, so I guess you could say he was ripping off himself. Really though, most of his scores sound a lot alike. "
This is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzLRP8e4vE
#40 Posted by caesarsghost (559 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mainline said:
"

Film

I'm still not wild about the "forensic thriller" aspect of the film as it was never really a big part of the comics and for all the vaunted CSI comparisons, CSI isn't really that good a show much less a film... procedural aspects tend to be major time sinks and not particularly compelling (I'd rather watch ten training montages than a single quasi-music video lab montage), however, the "fun and wonderment" quote from the interview video gives me hope that at least they know that's a major part of Flash's appeal (consider the tonal difference between Flash or Impulse with the speedster mom from No Ordinary Family given how leaden her life is with worry, work, and being the family kill-joy).  The sports film analogy also works for me because those almost always are about tugging at heart strings to achieve an inspirational / victorious effect... exactly what I want from a Flash film. 

I'm a bit worried about how he refers to Baron's work, also reflected in the show, because they both try to ground The Flash in science and rationality... and while there always is a bit of a scientific edge to The Flash (in that two of them are scientists and the tradition of the Flash Facts), the truth is that speedster abilities tend to defy science at just about every turn (again, consider the No Ordinary Family track scene where the assistant bombards the mom with questions about how her abilities account for various scientific issues)... while at the same time being incredibly intuitive to audiences.  To me, it would be a mistake to not take advantage of the audience's intuition and instead "kill" The Flash's powers by trying to ground them in science, adding technobabble, etc. which will inevitably either lead to plot holes, failure under scientific scrutiny, or overly limiting The Flash's speed making him merely a low-end caloric burning speedster rather than the mercurial demigod capable of feats unique to The Flash (speedster are not unique to film, TV, etc. but ones as fast as The Flash definitely are). 

TV 

The Flash TV series is free on TheWB.com and Fancast.com (for Comcast subscribers)... I also have the series on DVD somewhere but haven't been able to bring myself to watch it despite being a major Flash fan; it hasn't aged well in my opinion.  Although I agree it had exceptional production values for a show of its time.  Nonetheless it took perhaps too much inspiration from Burton's Batman at the sacrifice of The Flash, in my [perhaps ill informed] opinion [remember, I've not seen the show since it first aired], by staging most of the episodes at night, making Barry the avenger of a dead family member, etc.  The show also ran into scheduling nightmares causing it to be shuffled around constantly (I specifically remember being disappointed because it didn't air at the times listed in the TV Guide or local newspaper)... it was so bad that the president of CBS apologized personally to John Wesley Shipp for "killing" the show.

I have one vague memory of watching an episode that revolved around a precursor to bullet time and a bomb going off or a bullet being fired that blew me away at the time (having randomly caught the episode and not even realizing it was The Flash, but merely reveling in the scifi and special FX of frozen time)... it's my sole positive memory of the series and I refuse to actually hunt down and watch the actual episode because nostalgia colors it much more pleasantly than the actual show could ever deliver. ;-) 

But don't take my word for it... stop by TheWB.com, watch, and decide for yourself! "

Interesting- in terms of the film adaptation, I completely agree. I mean, what we are talking about in the article and the interview video is combining genres. So, pretty much the makers of the film are going to be striking a delicate balance between forensic drama (mainly a TV genre with its own set of rules and conventions), sports films (a long tradition of great films in this genre, and a lot of crappy ones) and superhero genre (this genre has come into its own over the past 20 years or so). It all just depends which elements from the different genres they take. If its all forensics it ends up like CSI and that is no good for anyone. If it is a pure sports film then it will be heavy on the 'tugging on the heartstrings' and light on the action and thriller aspects. So hopefully this film will be a successful amalgamation of the different genres. It has the potential to be.   

And I hope they do not get too scientific with the abilities. It would kill it. But I would not be too worried about that, I mean- consider it. The superhero genre- as a big budget film enterprise- has been around arguably since 1978. In the intervening years we had all sorts of superhero films and within the past 10 years or so they have really hit their stride and never once have audiences turned away due to implausibility. It is an inherent aspect of the genre- we accept superhero abilities sans the scientific explanation because we have been conditioned by the genre to do so. We didn't need a drawn out explanation of Superman's abilities, or Spiderman's, and I am pretty sure the Green Lantern won't give us the nitty gritty details of his power ring.  
The Flash being more 'grounded' in science definitely harbors the possibility that they would try to rationalize his abilities, but I think the filmmakers would avoid that where possible. The current superhero film formula works, they definitely will think twice before messing with it.

I could not agree more about the 'mercurial demigod capable of feats unique to the Flash'. I mean, just look at the most recent Flash comic, where he runs across the helicopter blades. I mean, how incredible is that? How good would that look on film? Ah, I love it!
#41 Posted by snappy_dresser (1 posts) - - Show Bio
@noe said:
" I thought the show aired on CBS? Either way, I remember watching this as a kid as well. I also own the DVD set. Excellent show. "
Ya it was a CBS, I remember because it was the only thing worth watching on it.
#42 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

They should make the flash movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.