The Flash: Rebirth (Official Thread)

• 83 results
#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Barry's back.

Barry Allen kicked off what became known as comics' Silver Age when he sped onto the scene as the Flash in the 1950s. He died more than 20 years ago in DC Comics' universe-changing "Crisis on Infinite Earths."

Since then, he's made a few appearances from beyond the grave. And now he's back for good, having returned to the land of the living in another big event, "Final Crisis." It's writer Geoff Johns' job to introduce Barry to a new generation of readers in "The Flash: Rebirth."

The Flash: Rebirth" isn't just about the power of speed. It's also about Barry wrestling with some basic questions after his return from the dead.

"He's very much in the moment of ‘why am I back? Why now? Why am I needed? Am I needed?'"

Barry will also have to deal with his status in the DC universe.

"He's been dead for so long, he's viewed as kind of a saint, Imagine coming back and everyone saying you're a saint, and having to live up to that."

Other members of the Flash family will also appear in the miniseries, including Wally, Bart Allen, who also recently returned from the dead, and Jay Garrick, the original Golden Age Flash from the 1940s. But Barry is at the heart of the story. For Johns, it's a chance to delve into his character and history as never before.

"We will be getting into a lot of his back story: a lot of why he is the way he is, why he has an interest in forensic science, why he has such a strong sense of justice."

It's familiar territory in a way for Johns and artist Ethan Van Sciver, who a few years ago resurrected Hal Jordan as Green Lantern in "Green Lantern: Rebirth."

"The Flash: Rebirth" gives Van Sciver a chance to put his stamp on a classic character and to redefine how superspeed is conveyed in comics. "He really is bringing out his A game," Johns said.

The Flash died a hero in “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” saving the world from the Anti-Monitor, before returning in “Final Crisis” last year. Hal Jordan was turned evil by the entity Parallax and destroyed the Green Lantern Corps before dying in the “Final Night” series. In the 2004 series “Green Lantern: Rebirth,” Hal Jordan was purged of the entity and returned as a hero.

“There’s a line in (”Blackest Night” No. 0) where Hal says, ‘You died a saint and I died a sinner,’” Johns said, referring to the different situations in which the two close friends now find themselves. Barry Allen returning from the dead is “the worst thing that ever happened to him,” Johns said.

“I think a lot of people are wondering why we’re bringing Barry Allen back, But really ‘Flash: Rebirth’ is knee-deep in doing what we do best.”

“Flash: Rebirth” is from the creative team of “Green Lantern: Rebirth,” Johns and artist Ethan Van Sciver. DC Executive Editor Dan DiDio announced that, based on pre-orders, “Flash: Rebirth” No. 1 will be DC Comics’ top book for April.

So what are you're hopes for Rebirth? with Barry returning, how will Wally deal with this, not to mention the other heroes? or how will this affect the Blackest Night for Green Lantern, when in a prior interview, Johns has already stated that one Speedster will be coming back from the dead in the guise of a Black Lantern...

it definitely looks to be getting interesting from here on out.... just hold on, and try and keep up :D

M
#2 Posted by Magicalmoment (1516 posts) - - Show Bio

i will be waiting for this comic and buying it

#3 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it'll be an odd opportunity.

In Johns' previous run on the Flash, he did a pretty good job of capturing Wally's character without making him annoying as some past writers did.  But that wasn't his real contribution.  The main thing he did was write the bad guys.  You didn't pick up his book to read about the Flash.  You picked it up to read about Captain Cold.

Now, the old Barry Allen comics, and I'm talking about the comics that were right at the very begining, long before Professor Zoom, those were the opposite.  The villains, cool as some of them were, were not the main focus at all.  In fact, the best part of the books was Barry himself.  Fastest man alive constantly late to everything.  Police scientist stopping crime not by pushing past some speed barrier or calling on his friends and loved ones but by outsmarting the bad guys.

Now I love the Flash.  And I love Johns' previous work on the Flash.  But Barry Allen is a completely different animal and his stories should be told completely different than Wally's.  I'm curious to see if Johns call pull if off.

#4 Posted by inferiorego (23084 posts) - - Show Bio

CSI: Barry Allen

Staff
#5 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

When does the first issue come out?

#6 Posted by inferiorego (23084 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"When does the first issue come out?"
Wednesday
Staff
#7 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet!

#8 Posted by inferiorego (23084 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm super excited

Staff
#9 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks really good..............ART is Awesome.

#10 Posted by JetpackComics (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man, I cannot wait for this book.  GL rebirth was IMO the greatest mini series of all time.

#11 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

i want to wait till hard cover or TPB but i dont think i will be able to wait that long to find out

#12 Posted by Peterobe (115 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna make a special trip to pick this up - very exicted

#13 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

I read a preview released at the time of comic con, seems to me like a barry allen love-fest lol

#14 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Cant freaking wait

#15 Posted by deathswitch (475 posts) - - Show Bio

thiis is going to be FREAKING SWEET!!!

#16 Posted by zoom29 (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!!

#17 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Full Review

Just read it... There are parts I LOVE. And parts that just don't work at all.

Barry going to the museum and being surrounded by people on their cell phones was interesting. Ethan did a tremendous job on the art. Not much I could nitpick on. Coloring wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Sinclair did fine. The bit at the start... I for sure thought that was going to be Barry's origin so that was a nice twist. I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes. The last panel in that first "segment" looks great! That's the speed vision that needs to be displayed more often.

Loved Evan's line about getting more Rogues lol. I tend to agree with Barry that everyone's overreacting beause that city is absolutely flooded with statues, banners, and blimps. Ridiculous...

Not a big fan of Jay kissing Barry's ass for three pages, and not too big on Jai/Iris acting like 5 year olds when they are 8-9... but I suppose its for the better. Ethan definitely gets more praise for drawing a very Michael Turner like Wally on one page. Very good visual there.

BIGGEST problem for me. Continuity. Tim Drake, as of right now is still Robin. But there is no reason why he should be in San Francisco at the Teen Titans tower. I get that he might have wanted to see Barry or even just hang with his ex girlfriend Cassie(who is rocking her recently updated costume) and his best friend Bart..... BUT he is supposed to be clear across country dealing with the brown sticky stuff that hit the fan in Gotham.

That's why he isn't in Teen Titans anymore remember Geoff!

He left them so he can save Gotham, and unless this is after Battle for the Cowl (and we know its not because Tim becomes Red Robin) then it just doesn't fit. Geoff could have replaced Tim with any other Titan. Bart is one of the fastest people on Earth, I'm sure it would be more feasible for Bart to meet up with him than vice versa. Bart's attitude is understandable but not necessary. I think Bart shares my opinion that Wally is The Flash and Barry's return kind of hinders everyone else. Though I had to agree with Hal when he said that Bart's years of running, away from being THE Flash.

I don't think Hal will play much of a role in this story, besides being their for moral support as will the rest of the League. I don't like Ethan's Iris Allen. She looks far too young... like Nightwing's last girlfriend. She looks good, just too young to pull off her appropriate(approximate) age. Overall a good read. I really took into Ethan's art and tried to recall every villain within the ever-growing Flash museum(which STILL shouldn't exist anymore,btw).

Overall... 4.5 / 5

A damn good read and i reccomend it to everyone

M
#18 Posted by inferiorego (23084 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#19 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah... i was a bit iffy on Bart's attitude at first...

but overall, a really enjoyable read

M

#20 Posted by inferiorego (23084 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"yeah... i was a bit iffy on Bart's attitude at first...but overall, a really enjoyable readM"
Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am, but this version of Bart is from before he died and has no recollection of anything that happened to himself as Flash from the last series, correct?
Staff
#21 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

pft... i've given up trying to keep this timeline straight...

Johns just doesn't care about continuity... we've seen it before in GL, hell, i've already commented on the cockups in this issue so far lol

M

#22 Posted by inferiorego (23084 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I'll just forget that 12 issue run ever happened then.... Impulse-Kid Flash... there my brain hurts less now....

Doctor Who is the only thing left where the continuity hasn't been completely destroyed...

Staff
#23 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

you can't destroy continuity in Dr Who... it doesn't have any to begin with lol

M

#24 Posted by inferiorego (23084 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"you can't destroy continuity in Dr Who... it doesn't have any to begin with lolM"
Oh, it does.... Wait until the last regeneration.... Trial of the Time Lord......
Staff
#25 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am, but this version of Bart is from before he died and has no recollection of anything that happened to himself as Flash from the last series, correct?"

i've just reread it and Bart does remember. In fact it comes up twice in this issue. Hal mentions it, and Cassie(WonderGirl) reminds Bart that he was The Flash and he says

"Yeah, and it wasn't any fun. At ALL. I came here from the future so that everything could go back to the way it used to be....."

M
#26 Posted by inferiorego (23084 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"inferiorego said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am, but this version of Bart is from before he died and has no recollection of anything that happened to himself as Flash from the last series, correct?"
i've just reread it and Bart does remember. In fact it comes up twice in this issue. Hal mentions it, and Cassie(WonderGirl) reminds Bart that he was The Flash and he says "Yeah, and it wasn't any fun. At ALL. I came here from the future so that everything could go back to the way it used to be....."M"
now my brain really hurts
Staff
#27 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah.... just ignore continuity... the writer does lol

M

#28 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

oh, and another blatent Retcon from Geoff Johns...

Barry's dad is arrested for the murder of his wife Nora (though I'm pretty sure he'll end being framed for it), this is not even subtle, this is a blatant retcon that goes against ALL Flash history... Not only did Barry's parents have a wonderful marriage but they BOTH outlived BARRY! They didn't die until after COIE.....

Wtf Geoff... f**king up one of my favorite books wasn't enough? you had to go and rewrite the entire history of one of the most love comic characters DC ever had...

man... this is seriously getting too much

M

#29 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed it.

#30 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is that Geoff wants a darker Barry? Give him a reason to always be running....

I don't like it at all. Its so unnecessary. Its ridiculous. I feel like he's trying to make Barry like Hal and Bruce...or every other hero. Like Barry has to be modernized by killing off his mom....

but i did like the fact that Barry feels like he is on borrowed time and cant waist a single moment... that could be interesting for future storylines

M

#31 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"oh, and another blatent Retcon from Geoff Johns...Barry's dad is arrested for the murder of his wife Nora (though I'm pretty sure he'll end being framed for it), this is not even subtle, this is a blatant retcon that goes against ALL Flash history... Not only did Barry's parents have a wonderful marriage but they BOTH outlived BARRY! They didn't die until after COIE.....Wtf Geoff... f**king up one of my favorite books wasn't enough? you had to go and rewrite the entire history of one of the most love comic characters DC ever had...man... this is seriously getting too muchM"
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

COME ON YOU MOTHER F@#KING KILLER OF COMICS!!!

GEOFF!!! YOU SHALL RUE THE DAY YOU SCREWED BARRY!!!!
#32 Posted by Flash Is The Best (112 posts) - - Show Bio

i got the comic i loved it. but one thing i dont get is how is Bart Allen back? when did he come back from the dead?

#33 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Final Crisis

#34 Posted by Flash Is The Best (112 posts) - - Show Bio

i have didnt see no bart in there

#35 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Mediocre.

Disliked the retcon.  Disliked randomly bringing back Savitar (like he would be the bad guy that Barry missed that would really stick out).  Disliked randomly killing off Savitar.

Barry just seems....not Barrylike.  And I get that Bart misses Max but way to be an ass.

#36 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
Flash Is The Best said:
"i have didnt see no bart in there"
Sorry had to be more specific.

Read Legion of three Worlds. I didnt even read that one just skimmed it wasnt that good, more importantly Book one an Book Three of it
#37 Posted by Flash Is The Best (112 posts) - - Show Bio

no problem. yeah i didnt read legion of three worlds either. but thankz i will check that out.

#38 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by King Hyperion (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

So...how much of Barry's history was retconned here and how the Hell did Bart get back from the 31st Century so fast? I mean the guy (or rather kid) is in the midst of squaring off against Superman Prime, he can't simply just go "You know what? I'll leave Superman Prime to you guys, I just heard that Barry came back to life in the 21st Century so I am gonna go there, 'kay?" and then pop up in The 21st Century like that. It would make no sense! Plus...that would mean that Superman Prime is still on the loose! But when isn't Superman Prime on the loose, am I right?

#40 Posted by EvLJEsT (138 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"When does the first issue come out?"
TODAY YAY YAY........ i GOt mine and it is good :-)
#41 Posted by Magicalmoment (1516 posts) - - Show Bio

damn.....this is sad,i don't even know where i can buy this comic in my country and whether there even is selling this comic

#42 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio
Magicalmoment said:
"damn.....this is sad,i don't even know where i can buy this comic in my country and whether there even is selling this comic"

which country is that?
#43 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read it, and it's really good. I haven't read much of Barry Allen (considering he died before I was born) so the geoffcons aren't bothering me. Although I do agree that changing Barry's past just to give him a reason to run is silly.

King Hyperion said:

"So...how much of Barry's history was retconned here and how the Hell did Bart get back from the 31st Century so fast? I mean the guy (or rather kid) is in the midst of squaring off against Superman Prime, he can't simply just go "You know what? I'll leave Superman Prime to you guys, I just heard that Barry came back to life in the 21st Century so I am gonna go there, 'kay?" and then pop up in The 21st Century like that. It would make no sense! Plus...that would mean that Superman Prime is still on the loose! But when isn't Superman Prime on the loose, am I right?"
By the time of rebirth, legion of three world has ended. Just because LO3W is late in production doesn't mean it's a continuity problem.

Now, I'd like to start with questions and speculations.

Who is the red lightning guy in the beginning who says he brought Barry back?

How the hell did Black Flash get killed?

Why did Savitar get disintegrated?

Any thoughts?
#44 Edited by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

i think barry if absorbing the time force w/o him knowing it.

I didnt even know there was a black flash. But they were talking about out running death when they showed him so that is probably death

savitar died bc his time force was absorbed

idk about the red lighting guy. i dont remember him.

i thought barry was getting a new costume

#45 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
DEGRAAF said:
"I didnt even know there was a black flash. But they were talking about out running death when they showed him so that is probably death"
He is death, so how the hell did he die???
#46 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

thats what i was wonderin

#47 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
DEGRAAF said:
"i think barry if absorbing the time force w/o him knowing it. I didnt even know there was a black flash.

To be honest, i think when Barry came back, i think he absorbed the Black Flash's powers... thats why he managed to kill Savatar with just a touch, much like the Black Flash used to...

DEGRAAF said:
But they were talking about out running death when they showed him so that is probably death

It is... The Black Flash was the personification of Death for the Speedsters... it's previous victims include Max Mercury and Johnny Quick... Also of note, one of The Black Flash's other personifications was the Black Racer, Death for the New Gods.

DEGRAAF said:
savitar died bc his time force was absorbed

Possible... though i'm more inclined to believe that Barry killed him accidentally by using the new Black Flash powers. it would also explain his 'speed boost' as Barry was never that fast before, Wally was always faster.

DEGRAAF said:
dk about the red lighting guy. i dont remember him.i thought barry was getting a new costume"

For the red guy at the beginning... i believe it's someone that got thrown back by the Speed Force... could be any number of people, but currently i'm believing it is Zoom as he just recently lost his powers so he could be trying to replicate the accident that gave Barry his powers originally, that would be why he was in the lab at the beginning looking for chemicals.

M
#48 Posted by Kayui (2 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:

But they were talking about out running death when they showed him so that is probably death

It is... The Black Flash was the personification of Death for the Speedsters... it's previous victims include Max Mercury and Johnny Quick... Also of note, one of The Black Flash's other personifications was the Black Racer, Death for the New Gods.

I thought that Max didn't die.  During the Impulse series he only disappeared.  Jay Garrick later found out that the doctor treating his wife for the cancer was his Reverse Flash and took control of Max's body when he was contacting the Speed Force.  Last that I read Max was still stuck in the Speed Force because Reverse Flash used the time pod that  Bart had to use to get him andCarol back from the future.
#49 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

am I the only one that finds it amusing that in the comic no one but Hal thinks that Barry could/should take the flash role away from Wally?

#50 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

This is because Hal is a jackass.

Kayui said:

"I thought that Max didn't die.  During the Impulse series he only disappeared.  Jay Garrick later found out that the doctor treating his wife for the cancer was his Reverse Flash and took control of Max's body when he was contacting the Speed Force.  Last that I read Max was still stuck in the Speed Force because Reverse Flash used the time pod that  Bart had to use to get him andCarol back from the future."
Oh gosh.  Now I have to reread Mercury Rising.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.