'The Flash' Movie News

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Has DC Entertainment put a stop to film production?

It seems as though it has been quite some time since we have heard anything about a 'Flash' movie! Screenwriter Charles Roven indicated in a recent interview that the upcoming 'Flash' film has been all but called off due to the restructuring of DC Entertainment. The internal company changes have forced the project to halt because DC wishes to move the film in a different direction. Roven was quoted at IGN stating:

"I was involved at one point with The Flash," Roven informed us. "And Warner Bros. came to me and said, 'The work that you've been doing hasn't yet resulted in something that any of us, including the filmmaking team, feel could be greenlit as a movie. We're trying to accomplish something that takes into account the entire, rich DC character world, and we'd like to pull it back. That doesn't mean that you aren't going to be a part of it. We just want to take a different kind of approach. Do you mind if we try that?'"

However, how reliable is the quote from Roven, who is no longer involved as a producer on the project? According to the response by the current screenwriter for the film, Dan Mazeau, work on an upcoming 'Flash' film is still underway and DC writer Geoff Johns is still consulting, which is fantastic news for fans of the character.

Everything is moving forward as planned," Mazeau explained. "I'm still writing the script. Geoff Johns is still consulting. Flash fans have no cause for concern, and -- IMO -- lots to be excited about."

The fact that Roven cites the restructuring of DC Entertainment as an explanation as to why film production has halted makes me think that Warner Brothers may want to utilize 'The Flash' to expand the DC movie franchise. Could this mean we may be in store for a Justice League movie? It will be interesting to watch the developments. What do you think?
#1 Posted by danhimself (22216 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't understand DC's problem with making live action movies...I mean they've got Warner Bros. backing them and some of the most iconic characters in comics, so you would think that they should have no problem getting these movies made...but it seems like everytime I see an article about one of their movies and get a little bit excited about the possible spoilers awaiting me it turns into a let down because they've come up with some new excuse as to why they aren't getting the movies done

#2 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm this could be good...or we may end up with flash in a nipple suit............

#3 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: I think that if in fact they pulled production, it may be because they want to make something bigger....kind of like Marvel will have the Avengers? They may want to restructure the story so that they can make a Justice League movie where they can incorporate 'The Flash.'
#4 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

This MAY be one time where a temporary halt could be a good decision.  Initially I was bummed by the headline but after reading everything I think this will be good news.   

Just wish DC Entertainment, et al. would work a little faster----pun intended---with launching the great DC characters into movies but I can wait if it means better quality stories, action, and FX.   Not patiently wait mind you but I will try.

#5 Posted by danhimself (22216 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs:  I hope that's the case....the only problem I would have with that is that they've said that Nolan's Batman movies wouldn't be included in their Justice League movie universe....which I can kind of understand but it would be cool especially since they've already got 2 great movies that they could use as the begining structure of their movie universe
#6 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah, yes...the pipe dream that is a JLA movie...

#7 Edited by Dark Cell (447 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see Justin Timberlake in the flash suit......what?...Just saying.
#8 Edited by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs:
I don't even want to think about a Justice League movie right now. I would be happy if we saw another six DC films from WB before they even start thinking about Justice League. You can count the DCU movie franchises on one hand, Marvel made an Elecktra movie for God's sake. Yes it sucked, but at least they made it.  

#9 Posted by keala08 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the should juss do movies for the bigger people like wonder woman ,batman ,super man , but it woud've been cool to see flash on the big screen i think chris evans can play flash

#10 Posted by Nighthunter (28578 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw this comming. Since DC entertainment was announced they said that they were developing the new strategy and that they would reveal it beginning next year. The fact that they are taking so long to plan a strategy makes me happy, I mean they are making sure that they get their movies made with the highest possible quality.

Flash is something I really want to see, but I don't want to see a crappy movie so that I have to wait another 10 years to see it done right

#11 Posted by Lost_Rellik (2120 posts) - - Show Bio

I have high expectations if this movie ever arrives....and I say Chris Evans would make a great Flash! Personally, I'd rather see Flash on the big screen than Supes and Wonder Woman.
#12 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris in this role. 

#13 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Evans could do that job.  He was a decent Torch but I really wasn't all that excited about him until I saw Sunshine.

I wouldn't mind Scott Porter being given the role either.
#14 Posted by badboy306 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

These dumb a@#  need to get it together and stop bull SH&^%$# around; while their tripping all over themselves Marvel is making movies like clockwork. DC needs to get their SH#$ together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
#15 Posted by Carnage47 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

they better not cancle the green lantern movie... also they better make a flash movie
#16 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems to me DC is so disorganized with their films. Other than the Batman franchise, everything else is so unpredictable.  

At least Marvel, whether their films suck or not, are consistently released and even followed through with sequel after sequel.
#17 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Better to go big (like Justice League) or go home

#18 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio
@Media_Master: True
#19 Edited by OverThinker (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it going to be the Barry Allen Flash or a different one???

#20 Posted by 00 Raiser (441 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is that producers and directors have a bad habit of changing what is already gold. The first two batman movies were genius. Tim Burton definitely had the image of batman down. After that the batman movies got more flashy and colorful. Needless to say thats not batman. Now with Batman Begins and the Dark Knight they have once again captured the essence of batman though is voice needs some work. All DC is saying is that they want the movie to be a little more inclusive to the DC universe probably so they can make movies like Justice League, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, without having to do a separate story line. Cause when you think about it all the character in DC are connected some how or another. They want to avoid comic book butchery like the studios butchered X-Men and Spider-Man.

#21 Posted by ulrich200 (95 posts) - - Show Bio
@badboy306: If they take years but give us a movie like the Dark Knight is better than Marvel's collection of shitty movies every year.
#22 Posted by rouju (159 posts) - - Show Bio
@ulrich200:
Amen brother, good things come to those who waits
#23 Posted by Proverb (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd find this crap easier to believe if I didn't think the JLA movie was going to be an origin story anyway. The longer they dawdle with these movies the higher expectations are going to get, and when it finally gets released and turns out to be pap, people are going to get all the more pissed.

#24 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Ryan won't be playing Wally now and will instead be playing Hal. I think Ryan Kwanten from True Blood would be the next best choice to play Wally.  

And they should bring back John Wesley Shipp to reprise the role of Barry Allen , and show him passing down the mantle to Wally.   

#25 Posted by The Wind-Stalker (64 posts) - - Show Bio

flash is like one of my fave heroes and now i think the movie is never gonna come out.... I don't even care anymore
#26 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7496 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess they are to busy in making "catwoman 2" with beyonce playing wonder woman.. bah. get it right DC.

#27 Posted by NightFang (9817 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a bad feeling about this.

#28 Posted by ArachKnight (165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain:
WOW - I agree 100%. Good PICKS!
#29 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Flash film should be about Barry Allen. He's the best Flash there has been I think. I think Bradley Cooper could play him, he was offered Hal Jordan but I think he looks more like Barry. I also think that Capt. Cold should be the villain, he is his arch-foe after all.
#30 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain: Yes the passage of the mantle to Wally would be a great thing to explore, I don't think such thing has been done on the big screen, yet.
#31 Posted by dr.x (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow DC got Johnny Storm  to play Berry Alien , just AWESOME  .
#32 Posted by NamelessHenchman (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if DC will do what Marvel is doing; make all the super hero films before the Justice League film. If thats the truth, they have quite aways to go.    

#33 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@Calvin:
It would be such a smart move for them to do that & to give recognition to Barry. When I met John I told him that Goyer at the time was working  on the script & said to him it would be great if they brought him back. Turned out that Goyer did incorprate Barry in his script and was gonna have him passing down the Flash mantle to Wally.
#34 Posted by Psykhophear (251 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm already happy with The 90's Flash Pilot and TV Show so I don't think I'm looking forward with this upcoming movie. I believe no one can replace John Wesley Shipp as the Flash. 

#35 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

With the Avengers series, they started with Iron Man then went to Incredible Hulk and then on to Iron Man 2. Most likely Thor is next and Captain America is last. With a Justice League series, they can start with Green Lantern, then head into the Flash, then over to Wonder Woman, and maybe work in some other characters. I'm sure it will work if they try hard enough.
#36 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Moomin123 said:
"I think the Flash film should be about Barry Allen. He's the best Flash there has been I think. I think Bradley Cooper could play him, he was offered Hal Jordan but I think he looks more like Barry. I also think that Capt. Cold should be the villain, he is his arch-foe after all. "
I disagree with this across the board. 

While the silver age had some good Flash comics, the 20 years of Wally's series have been far superior.  Morrison's JLA was better than most of the Silver Age JLA as well.  Barry may be a saint but unless you've been reading Flash comics for more than 20 years, you barely know who Barry Allen is and unless you read Silver Age Flash only, you probably like Wally, Jay or Bart better. 

Captain Cold is also not Barry's Allen's arch-foe.  Far from it.  Mirror Master was originally the Flash's toughest enemy while Captain Cold was a lovesick guy with a freeze ray.  Then, Professor Zoom showed up and became a real arch enemy to the Flash.  Cold didn't become a truely imposing villain until after Barry died and he reformed soon after.
#37 Posted by LP (671 posts) - - Show Bio

All of DC's movies have been outshining Marvel as of late so I'm willing to see anything they make... also because I'm a DC fan.

#38 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully they get the essence of a runner right. They sometimes lack that in the comics. 

#39 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@Psykhophear said:
"I'm already happy with The 90's Flash Pilot and TV Show so I don't think I'm looking forward with this upcoming movie. I believe no one can replace John Wesley Shipp as the Flash.  "

He'll always be the  TRUE Barry Allen to me no one else. Sucks the show only lasted 1 season. Cause for that time the effects were just great for a tv show & the last several episodes were just getting better and better. I'm so happy I finally met him. :)... So I hope that they bring him back to reprise his role again as Barry.
#40 Posted by knightinbatmanarmor (43 posts) - - Show Bio

I think as far as this project is concerned, they need to follow something along the lines of what Batman Begins has done, and The Dark Knight. I'm almost tempted to say let Nolan's opinion on what he thinks should be done, but I'm afraid we'll get a flash mixed with ironman where he has a super suit, rather than actual powers. But I think Nolan has been quite successful in making the story sound real enough, so why not? But I think they need to avoid what Marvel did, and stick as close to the comics as possible, as we know the comics work. The rolem is chopping down on time, they ruin the story, and then it just completely gets spun out of control. I think if any of them, this movie has a whole lot of potential, both for great success and complete let down. I just hope they handle it well and come out with a good movie. And I think if they will give us quality, I'm more than willing to wait another year or so longer to get that.

#41 Posted by hulksmash012 (25 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark Cell said:
"I can see Justin Timberlake in the flash suit......what?...Just saying. "

No. That's all I have to say about that. NO
#42 Posted by hulksmash012 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure they said quite a while back that they were hoping to get a JLA movie made.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.