Starting with flash

#1 Posted by HitmanX (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello. I'm new to comic books. The reason why I want to start with flash, is that he seems a little more interesting to me than the others. I've found two sets; which one should I start with?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-1987-DC-Comics-1-247-VF-NM-Complete-/170752579284?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27c1a596d4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLASH-RUN-8-0-9-8-VF-TO-NM-MT-90-ISSUES-DC-WAID-RAMOS-/110883295788?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19d128d22c

I could swing both sets, if they are a set? I would rather buy just one set.

#2 Edited by batmannflash (6210 posts) - - Show Bio

@hitmanx: I honestly don't know if this is worth it. That's extremely expensive and not all of those issues are worth reading. And this is coming from a Flash fan!

But if you had to choose one, I like Geoff John's run better than Waid's run. And I'm assuming that 2nd link is just Waid. So I would get the 1st link, but that's much more expensive.

A word of advice, that's a lot of issues and not all of them are worth getting. If you want to know which specific stories are the best, then I made a Barry Allen reading guide: http://www.comicvine.com/barry-allen/4005-22804/guide/

And here are my favorite Flash stories: http://www.comicvine.com/profile/batmannflash/lists/favorite-flash-stories/46766

Waid and Johns both have some great stuff but I wouldn't pay 270 or 800 bucks for that. Buy the specific story arcs which seem interesting to you.

From Volume 2, "Return of Barry Allen" #74-79, "Absolute Zero" #182, "Blitz" #197-200, Rogue War "220-225.

From Volume 3, all of it. It's only 12 issues anyways.

Read Flashpoint.

Read Rogue's Revenge from Final Crisis

And all of Flash's current series (Volume 4), since it only has 22 issues plus 2 Annuals as of now.

#3 Posted by Knightfall225 (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly think those comics are way over priced. Hell i could buy those at my local comic book store for under 110. I would also suggest you read the present Flash books that are in the New 52 ( look it up if you dont know what it is) I think Flash is a great way to get into the whole world of comics but i would also suggest making a list of about 5 or more characters that you like and at least view their comics.

#4 Posted by HitmanX (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash That is the reason why I posted. lol I would have bought that and been in trouble. The reason I was going to buy the first set is that it was a "beginning". I figure at the beginning to learn about a character. I have also read that you can start with the waid run and get a pretty in depth preview.

If I want to start from the beginning. What do I need to buy?

@Knightfall225 I am new to the comic scene. Any suggestions? I've watched the batman and new superman movies. I also like spider-man.

#5 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@hitmanx said:

@batmannflash That is the reason why I posted. lol I would have bought that and been in trouble. The reason I was going to buy the first set is that it was a "beginning". I figure at the beginning to learn about a character. I have also read that you can start with the waid run and get a pretty in depth preview.

If I want to start from the beginning. What do I need to buy?

@Knightfall225 I am new to the comic scene. Any suggestions? I've watched the batman and new superman movies. I also like spider-man.

Starting from the "beginning isn't really necessary and I personally don't think it's worth it. You could just read the New 52 series. It's one of the best series out right now

#6 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

@hitmanx: I don't recommend the first pack. It's a good pack but it's too overpriced and this is because all the issues are in near perfect condition, so it's more of a collector pack.

The second pack is much less expensive but it's lacking some issues, so I don't think it's worth it either. I recommend three courses of action:

1. Buy these issues via comixology, much less expensive and it's almost (ALMOST!) complete.
  2. If you don't like the idea of reading an incomplete run I recommend starting with Geoff Johns' run.
  3. The third option is the New 52 series. This isn't a bad option at all as this series is awesome but I think the other two options are much better.
#7 Edited by Knightfall225 (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

@hitmanx: i would suggest reading comics that are in DC new 52 or Marvel Now. Those are the newer comics. In DC new 52 the best comics are : Batman , Aquaman , Nightwing , Green Arrow , Green Lantern , the trinity war comics , batman and robin , detective comics, The Flash , Superman unchained , wonderwoman , justice league dark , and justice league. Also in September the new 52 is making a Villains month where all of Dc's villains will have their own comic. I would also suggest searching your favorite characters on the comic vine search bar and reading their wiki page. Or you can visit the DC comics homepage on www.Dc comics.com .

Im not a big marvel fan but i know some of their best comics which are : Superior Spiderman , Thor god of thunder , the indestructible hulk , DareDevil , Hawkeye, New Avengers , and Captain America. You can also visit their homepage

Im glad you posted this because comics at your local comicbook store cost 2.99 or 3.99.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.