speed gives him strength?

#1 Posted by fatyman (448 posts) - - Show Bio

someone told me that flash with his infinite mass punches basically gives him strength other than regular human level. now, i know of zoom having superman level punches, but flash? i mean, i dont think that speed = strength. can someone show scans of this, where his infinite mass punches basically gives him strength?

#2 Posted by Ms. Omega (4443 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its more of a massive build up of energy than true super strength but that just me

#3 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio
@fatyman said:
" someone told me that flash with his infinite mass punches basically gives him strength other than regular human level. now, i know of zoom having superman level punches, but flash? i mean, i dont think that speed = strength. can someone show scans of this, where his infinite mass punches basically gives him strength? "
I told you that "strength" was in quotes for a reason. He doesn't gain the ability to lift more, but the end result is the same as if he were stronger. Stated simply, when he's moving really fast, his punches hurt a lot more. That's why I said "f=ma". When he's moving nearly as fast as light, his punches have been said to have the force of a star, whatever the heck that means and he's punched people off the planet before. All this and more can easily be found by looking at any decent battle thread with Flash in it. Something else I said in the other thread.
#4 Posted by Sexy Merc (42072 posts) - - Show Bio

The name is 'Infinite Mass Punch' for starters so that should imply something about his strength off the bat. There are many different ways he can use his speed to alter his strength. I'll show you three, but if you want to know more, I suggest collecting Wally's run as the Flash after Barry's death. It's a great journey. Since he's my favorite Flash, has more remarkable post-crisis feats compared to Barry, and I have most of his scans, I'll be using Wally West as the Flash example.

1) He can hit someone and transfer the speed of the impact towards them, in this case the speed of about Mach 2. He only did it around that speed so he wouldn't kill the guy. Notice the impact because of the speed.

2) He uses his acceleration to blitz and blow up a boat. This is just showing how going at high speeds can cause a a lot of damage. If Batman tries running into a boat, obviously you won't see the same results, so it's another indication of speed affecting strength. You can argue that it's just his speed though.

3) This is one my favorites. Probably my favorite team up in comics where Wally and Kyle are facing Zum who could keep up with Wally's speed. Wally remarks that he is as tough and durable as Superman. We see Wally use the infinite mass punch to send Zum to a different country.

#5 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

its physics, a bullet thrown at you wont hurt you, but one shot at you obviously will, Greater velocity, Force and all that jazz
#6 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc:  that was the first ever JLA book i ever read, the best part of that was the Flash explaining his speed.
#7 Posted by Sexy Merc (42072 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK said:
" @Sexy Merc:  that was the first ever JLA book i ever read, the best part of that was the Flash explaining his speed. "
Yeah that was awesome.
#8 Posted by Midnight Sun (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedK: although Flash explaining his speed is awesome the best bit happens on the next page when he catches the vase that the indian/arabic guy dropped on page 4. damn right that entire fight happened in the time it takes for a vase to fall! wooooo! go flash!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.