Review: The Flash #3

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Barry Allen suffers scrutiny for potentially tampering with a crime scene, the Flash faces an entire team of super rogues from the future and Captain Boomerang discovers a whole new set of powers to go with his resurrection.

The Good

Manapul's art is an absolute joy to behold. I'm rarely a fan of colored art without inks, but this is one of the few cases where the effect actually works, adding to the sense of speedy blurriness that fits the Flash. There's much more of an illustrative quality to the pages here, almost like water colors. I felt like I was looking at a good children's book or production design album for my coffee table. Maybe it's specifically a bit of fanboy interest, but I liked the way Johns worked over the Flash's mythos here - - like giving Captain Boomerang the Black Lantern boomerangs and introducing the future rogues who are so convinced that Flash is the bad guy. It's simple, possibly silly... but I still like how they're Mirror MONARCH, COMMANDER Cold, HeatSTROKE and so on - - it makes this like an evil inversion of DC One Million.

The Bad

I'm still not especially keen on Barry Allen being the Flash again. That's more a comment on the idea of this title, rather than the execution, but the character's death in Crisis on Infinite Earths was such a pivotal, classic moment and seeing him here again, after it seemed like it was an off-limits story, just harps on how every major storyline in the DCU eventually gets reversed. Oliver Queen comes back from the dead, Hal Jordan comes back from the dead, even Captain Boomerang comes back from the dead here and basically everything significant about a landmark story like Crisis has been undone.

The Verdict - 4/5

I'm sure Johns has an epic scheme already plotted out for this title and it's intriguing to see the beginnings of what promise to be some major updates and revisions to the Flash mythos. Manupal's art also gives this the feeling of a good episode of a Flash cartoon. That is, something that's representative of all eras of the Flash while still injecting it with some current zest from outside schools of style.
#1 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

I Can't wait to get my copy of this!!
#2 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

definitely feeling the cover....gotta love Flash

#3 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the 'Flash Facts' section at the end.

#4 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

Central city C.S.I.  ok right their that would be an awesome TV show, anyway still have to read this

#5 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

So bored of Barry Allen..

#6 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

That's it exactly, it seems like a good animated series. That's what the art reminds my of but in a good way. I do like Barry Allen though I also think Wally West should pop in every once in a while.

#7 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio
@shawn87 said:
"definitely feeling the cover....gotta love Flash "

@Dracade102 said:
"I Can't wait to get my copy of this!! "

You guys said exactly what I was thinking.
#8 Posted by Aquamariner (203 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" So bored of Barry Allen.. "
It's issue 3! how can you be bored already?!?!? 

@Comiclove5 said:
" @shawn87 said:
"definitely feeling the cover....gotta love Flash "

@Dracade102 said:
"I Can't wait to get my copy of this!! "
You guys said exactly what I was thinking. "
Same here! Barry kicks ass!
#9 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aquamariner: He's had the same dialogue since his return.
#10 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

For a story called Flash it sure is slow paced, but well it understable ; 1st issue = Introduction . 2nd Issue = Flash good - Renegades are dangerous; and now third issue Renegades are still dangerous, some hints of what could have happened to Miror Monarch & bigger focus on Captain Boomerang wich seems to gradually show more importance if one reads the synopsys for the nexts 3 issue of the story, well the brightest day tag is not on the book for nothing nay? 

Overall a pretty decent issue even if the Flashpoint was completly unecessary, come on they reused panels of the actual issue -.-  we saw him use that bommerang like 10 pages ago! No one is that dumb!

Missed some Cold action in there :( But hey it coming in two month:

#11 Posted by RedHurricane24 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Have the issue. Will review it at sunrise. Loved it.

#12 Posted by RomaTotti10 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the issue. I just wished it was a bit longer or came out every week.

#13 Posted by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the art in this issue, as always.
#14 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Good review.  I agree that the art is amazing in spite of not having inks. 

Like Captain Boomerang's new powers too.  That'll make him more useful.
#15 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7823 posts) - - Show Bio

Still really enjoying this title.

#16 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVED THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!

#17 Posted by the_nightwalker (155 posts) - - Show Bio

barry allen, best flash ever:
FLASH FACT!

#18 Posted by the_nightwalker (155 posts) - - Show Bio

just finished it: i felt like the flash reading it, in that i was done in less than two minutes, seriously. dude, that has to be the shortest comic ever!
kind of a rip off in price per content
aside from the fact of a good storyline and art

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.