Question: Why did Flash want to become a superhero?

#1 Posted by TriggersDown (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm very, very new to reading comics. Decided to start reading "The Flash" (New 52, 2011), read through issue zero. They show Flash's orgins, but it's kind of like "OO, I got superpowers! Gonna make mah custume and gonna go stop crime!"

From the older series, I can see that Barry Allen, was a big fan of Jay Garrick as the Flash in the old comic books, having the similar powers, he took up his own mantle of that hero. But the purpose?

Purpose, as in: Batman became a superhero because of his parent's death, he wanted avengence, and wanted to make sure this would never happen again. The Flash, I can't find a reason why he decided to put on the costume. Help?

#2 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

The same reason he became a cop, because his mother was murdered and he dedicated his life to understanding crime and crimescenes and bring bad people to justice.

#3 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yeah and his father was wrongly convicted of his mother's death and died in prison before Barry could find the evidence to free him.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (23897 posts) - - Show Bio

He has a strong sense of justice due to his father being wrongly convicted of his mother's death, and wants to dedicate his life to fighting for that belief.

#5 Edited by TriggersDown (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC: Still reading. Forgot to say Spoilers.

#6 Posted by TriggersDown (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: So just out of the blue he decided to become a superhero?

#7 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

@TriggersDown said:

So just out of the blue he decided to become a superhero?

After his mother was murdered, his father was convicted of the crime, he became a crime scene analyst and got superpowers. It's not exactly out of the blue.

#8 Posted by The Stegman (23897 posts) - - Show Bio
@TriggersDown: It wasn't really out of the blue. 

Equation for being a superhero- Traumatic past event+Obtaining Superpowers= Becoming a Superhero.
#9 Posted by TriggersDown (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC: I guess it isn't. The plot sounds similar to the movie, "Boy Wonder," I can see how it goes now. Thanks for helping a noobie out!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.